Rams Top Free Agent Targets?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
And lest someone think I'm cherry picking here is another play from the same game, this one early third quarter. These are the types of thing that really irritate me with linebackers and tbh as good as he is in coverage it's not enough to make me want to pay him top dolla when you get run game performance like this...

Situation:
1580068058794.png

Pre-snap Littleton's on the 48:
1580068599518.png

At the snap Donald is being "ole'd" by the OL as if it were a screen, and 75 is pulling for a crack down block to remove him from the play:
1580068798967.png

At the handoff Littleton hasn't really moved but he's got a good view of the handoff action:
1580068892840.png

As the RB approaches the OL we can see Littleton moving laterally instead of filling the hole:
1580069006261.png

RB hits the hole and Littleton is waiting for him instead of attacking:
1580069048827.png

RB runs over Littleton for a 5 yard gain:
1580069131822.png

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Someone's gonna accuse me of having something against Littleton here, but going to put up one more that demonstrates why we won't have a great run defense with him at ILB:

Situation is a long third down:
1580069517749.png

Rams line up wide and leave A gaps uncovered:
1580069620618.png

At the snap:
1580069718365.png

At the handoff Corey clearly sees it, note he's on the 23 yard line:
1580069766474.png

He drifts left and puts himself in front of the pulling lineman instead of even attempting to fill
the hole:
1580069843397.png

Now that he doesn't have to worry about taking the RB head-on, he's in chase mode:
1580069920608.png

Rapp needs to come up and make the stop, 9ers still have to punt but get THIRTEEN yards and actually had a chance to convert thanks to the Rams' ILB play:
1580070068714.png

Reddog99

Pro Bowler
I've already convinced myself that he and Fowler are gone along with several other FA so I'm not going to be too upset about their departure. At this point I'd prefer to keep Fowler over Littleton if they do decide to retain one of them. LB is one of the main areas I want them to attack this offseason.

Reddog99

Pro Bowler
Guys with lateral speed and who wrap up and tackle is what im hoping for. It's aggravating watching our guys miss tackles so much.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
From what I've seen of him in the run game I hope they don't. Good in coverage and blitzes but I don't see a run defender.
He's really good vs the run tbh, better than his pass work. Both him and Murray fit very well for us as 3-4 strongside types who would be massive upgrades. Prob is both of them will have a hard time getting to us, that mid to late first round group loves them guys like that.

That said, like I've mentioned prior, people talk risers all over the place but when someone rises someone falls. So just like with the OLBs I don't think it's likely we see them however there's a chance. There are a ton of quality players so it's a guarantee we'll have someone at 52 who "shouldn't be there."

Sure would be nice if it's a LB. Either interior or edge.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Queen will go long before we pick. He's been compared to Deion Jones, and he'll probably blow up the Combine.
If I were a team drafting bottom of round one and had my choice of either I'd take Murray. But yeah I could see Queen doing that, would not surprise me given how fast his closing speed is.

My mock I went with Malik Harrison who is likely to be there. But gotta say I'm really tired of the way the Rams expect miracles from a low talent pool at the position. None of these guys are perfect but there's three of them (I don't count Simmons who will go top 10 IMO) who have that aggressive run fill ability we have lacked for so long.

And btw I am not sure the Rams agree they even need one of these guys. Like with OL, the team's history with ILBs hasn't been too good for a while now. From the signing of Ogletree, then Wade probably rejecting him and the trade to the Giants, to a situation where they relied on Wade to "grow" the position out of lesser talents (which he succeeded at with Littleton), the Rams just don't seem to have a feel or desire to use draft capital on them like some other 3-4 teams do.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
If I were a team drafting bottom of round one and had my choice of either I'd take Murray. But yeah I could see Queen doing that, would not surprise me given how fast his closing speed is.

My mock I went with Malik Harrison who is likely to be there. But gotta say I'm really tired of the way the Rams expect miracles from a low talent pool at the position. None of these guys are perfect but there's three of them (I don't count Simmons who will go top 10 IMO) who have that aggressive run fill ability we have lacked for so long.

And btw I am not sure the Rams agree they even need one of these guys. Like with OL, the team's history with ILBs hasn't been too good for a while now. From the signing of Ogletree, then Wade probably rejecting him and the trade to the Giants, to a situation where they relied on Wade to "grow" the position out of lesser talents (which he succeeded at with Littleton), the Rams just don't seem to have a feel or desire to use draft capital on them like some other 3-4 teams do.

I actually like Justin Strnad of Wake Forest as a later round pick. He's not flashy, but he's good at everything.

dang

Legend
#1 need on defense. a$$ kicking run stuffing ILB. Tired of the 15 yard runs right up our gut.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
#1 need on defense. a$$ kicking run stuffing ILB. Tired of the 15 yard runs right up our gut.
Last mock had Logan Wilson who is that and another option is David Woodward who will likely take our 2nd round pick to get. Both would do that job very well IMO.

Ramstien

Hall of Fame
Name
Ramstien
When I look at the Rams roster, their practice squad, and their injured reserve list I believe they may already have players capable of replacing Littleton and Fowler. I just don't see the Rams handing out big contracts to either one of them.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
When I look at the Rams roster, their practice squad, and their injured reserve list I believe they may already have players capable of replacing Littleton and Fowler. I just don't see the Rams handing out big contracts to either one of them.
If they pay Fowler... Well I'll understand it I guess. He was very good last season on everything but some contain laziness which all edge types are guilty of. I just think he's too immature still to be paid big money and stay focused like the elite types (AD for example).

But if they pay Littleton I'm gonna be a little bit pi$$ed off. Ok a lot pi$$ed off. :p Because we can get his production by bringing in SS types (ones who can cover) and lining them up at LB.

ReekofRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Reek
If they pay Fowler... Well I'll understand it I guess. He was very good last season on everything but some contain laziness which all edge types are guilty of. I just think he's too immature still to be paid big money and stay focused like the elite types (AD for example).

But if they pay Littleton I'm gonna be a little bit pi$$ed off. Ok a lot pi$$ed off. :p Because we can get his production by bringing in SS types (ones who can cover) and lining them up at LB.
So it sounds like Merlin if I’ve been reading you right and knowing how the Rams are limited under the cap, you might be for giving the Kisers of the world a chance.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
So it sounds like Merlin if I’ve been reading you right and knowing how the Rams are limited under the cap, you might be for giving the Kisers of the world a chance.
If they can win the job sure. But I would prefer they add to the room. Our LB room has been running on low talent for a long time. Get some fresh blood in there and open up the competition sure.

ReekofRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Reek
If they can win the job sure. But I would prefer they add to the room. Our LB room has been running on low talent for a long time. Get some fresh blood in there and open up the competition sure.
Yeah it’s been Corey and everybody else. We need ILB to start with. Rams got away from the foundation of football a little bit here you block for the run and you defend the run. When the Rams get back to that the other stuff will be there waiting for them.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Hard to know what any player thinks or what they value.
Loving your teammates then coaches then living situation (esp for players with wives or kids) only goes so far.
Fowler could love being apart of the more than anything he’s ever done but if the Rams offer 4 years and $36 M and the Cardinals offer 4 years $52M.....well, that’s probably an easy choice.
We shall see....

I’m thinking 1 year franchise ?? I know The Rams like to let players test the market, but signing Fowler would give The Rams time to find his replacement.