Rams Top Free Agent Targets?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
If that's the case, I would move back into Rd 1 for a good LT via both 2nd picks. In the 3rd Rd its OC, 5DT & RB. 4th rd CB. 5th RD MLB. 6th WR & 7th Rd S

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Based on his performance against Arizona
He was not impressive at all. Thank God Evans came back in. The Rams might have lost the game,or worse Goff would get injured.
That being said, Brewer can improve & has a chance to make the squad.
If this is the case though, why draft another lineman with so many young players on the squad.
" A Chandler Brewer Story"

Chandler Brewer's
rise from an unknown UDFA RG that many NFL draft sites had no information or rating on to being a Ram OL'er began on April 29, 2019 when Brewer signed his first Ram contract. Brewer started & played in all four preseason games. Most Brewers snaps with the #1 team offense were @ LT & LG with some RT snaps. Brewer was one of the top Ram OL'ers playing in 2019 preseason.

By the end of preseason. Chandler Brewer signed his second Ram contract to be a member on the Rams P.S. on Sept 1st 2019. Before the Rams TC got underway the Rams interior OL began to take some hits. Rams lost top reserve center Aaron Neary who was suspended 4 games for violating the league's substance abuse policy.

Then late preseason Allen's main back up Neary Hit #1 injured his knee & never returned to the Rams to play. Center Vitas Hrynkiewicz & Jeremiah Kolone took over back up duties for Brian Allen even Jamil Demby try his hand as a OC in late preseason. Rams cut Vitas H. & then signed Jeremiah Kolone to the PS for OC insurance & signed Coleman Shelton directly to the active roster to replace back up OC Aaron Neary.

The next OL Hit #2 occurred wk#2 in the Saints game when starting RG Austin Blythe injured his ankle & was replaced by Jamil Demby which I would call the beginning of Hit #3 in a sense. Wk#3 Demby started his first gm against the Browns turning in a very poor effort enough scare the Rams to cause Blythe to come back way too early from injury. As of that event Blythe played through that nagging ankle injury throughout season. In addition, after the season concluded Blythe had surgery on both of his shoulders.

The next big OL Hit #4 occurred on Oct 13, 2019. Starting LG Noteboom suffered a severe knee injury & was lost for the season. Swing OG Jamil Demby replaced him @ LG. Demby then completed Hit #3 with dismal performance that resulted in Demby NEVER playing in another Ram game. 5th rd Rookie David Edwards who by now was the #6 OL'er with Demby starting started in place of Demby @ LG. After the Noteboom injury wk#7 OT rookie Bobby Evans was activated for the first time for a gm as the reserve LT position.

On October 14, 2019 Snead/ McVay/Kromer knew they were in serious trouble with the OL. At this point in time Kromer had already lost his back up center Neary & starting LG Noteboom who was also his main back up @ LT. Kromer was playing a badly injured RG Blythe due to Demby's inability to perform @ NFL & could no longer be counted on to be a decent back up. Kromer had a 5th rd rookie starting now @ LG in David Edwards. The main interior reserve was newly acquired ex Cards rookie Coleman Shelton who was cut by the Cards. On October 15th,2019 Snead traded with Browns for former very high 2nd rd. 2018 draft selection LT Austin Corbett for a 5th rd 2020 pick.

The Ol settled down for a while after Corbett's arrival but two main wheels flew off wk#10 on November 11th, 2019 against Pittsburgh. Hit# 5 Rams lost starting center Allen for the rest of the season. Rookie Shelton was forced into starting action @ OC for Allen. In addition, starting RT Havenstein suffered a severe knee injury too, Havenstein was forced to continue play through a right meniscus injury because Kromer went into the Steelers game without making reserve OT Bobby Evans active. Later Corbett relieved;) Edwards @ LG who then relieved Havenstein @ RT. Hit #6 RT Rob Havenstein injured knee was never healthy again & he did not start another gm in 2019.

By Wk#11 the Rams OL underwent a paradigm shift should I call it Big Hit #7 ?. Kromer had a new starting LG Corbett, new starting RG rookie Edwards, new starting RT rookie Evans & a new starting center Blythe. FOUR starters in new positions. It was during this event that Chandler Brewer signed a new Ram contract for active roster duties on Nov 13, 2019.

Brewer was now Kromers top swing OT & OG reserve #6 OL'er. Brewer now was taking weekly practice snaps for LT Whitworth. From this point on Wk#11 till the end of the season Kromer depended on Chandler Brewer as his main reserve for four OL posts. No other Ol'er saw snaps with the offense. Brewer is signed thru 2021 when he is still attached contract wise with the Rams as a ERFA in 2021.

So @So Ram you still think "Brewer can improve & has a chance to make the squad"?

Last edited:

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I think we can assume the Rams will draft a raw type tackle who has good feet and hope he develops. Doubtful for them to move up very far in the draft even if they do manage to accrue another second rounder.

And they will also draft another center which doesn't have to be early.

At this point it is clear their plan is to draft & develop the OL vice investing early picks. I think their round 2 pick is in play for the OL of course if the right guy is there but it is no sure thing and they probably won't force OL there.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I think we can assume the Rams will draft a raw type tackle who has good feet and hope he develops. Doubtful for them to move up very far in the draft even if they do manage to accrue another second rounder.

And they will also draft another center which doesn't have to be early.

At this point it is clear their plan is to draft & develop the OL vice investing early picks. I think their round 2 pick is in play for the OL of course if the right guy is there but it is no sure thing and they probably won't force OL there.
Agree 100% on your thoughts on the drafting of another rookie LT.

Snead & his scout team can afford to look for a "RAW" type LT from all these LT prospects due to the fact they have all this young inexperienced OL'ers (Evans/Edwards/ Brewer/Corbett) that have shown they have the talent to start & play in the NFL. Having three 2nd season LT's to hold the fort until Noteboom's return should be enough to have some success on that blind side with a lot of off season work by them.

Just looking a little ahead when Noteboom returns Kromer's OL will gain good options from the early challenges that those Ram young LT's endured in other positions. Then that drafted "Raw" fresh drafted LT can fall in behind Noteboom for the rest of the season & 2021 too. Noteboom is slated to be a UFA March 2022.

Snead/ McVay OL plan is certainly clear to me too. I just do not see any big UFA OL $$$ investments in 2020 FA'cy. I do believe that any experience veteran OL cap casualties or OL injury casualties not designated by the NFL as a 2020 UFA..... will get serious interest from Snead.

Snead/ McVay is increasing the pressure level & heavy burden on Kromer/Dickerson this 2020 to produce a very good size cadre of very young talented inexperienced OL'er to be highly-developed fully by the time regular season begins. It's on the coaching now!

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Agree 100% on your thoughts on the drafting of another rookie LT.

Snead & his scout team can afford to look for a "RAW" type LT from all these LT prospects due to the fact they have all this young inexperienced OL'ers (Evans/Edwards/ Brewer/Corbett) that have shown they have the talent to start & play in the NFL. Having three 2nd season LT's to hold the fort until Noteboom's return should be enough to have some success on that blind side with a lot of off season work by them.

Just looking a little ahead when Noteboom returns Kromer's OL will gain good options from the early challenges that those Ram young LT's endured in other positions. Then that drafted "Raw" fresh drafted LT can fall in behind Noteboom for the rest of the season & 2021 too. Noteboom is slated to be a UFA March 2022.

Snead/ McVay OL plan is certainly clear to me too. I just do not see any big UFA OL $$$ investments in 2020 FA'cy. I do believe that any experience veteran OL cap casualties or OL injury casualties not designated by the NFL as a 2020 UFA..... will get serious interest from Snead.

Snead/ McVay is increasing the pressure level & heavy burden on Kromer/Dickerson this 2020 to produce a very good size cadre of very young talented inexperienced OL'er to be highly-developed fully by the time regular season begins. It's on the coaching now!
Becton, Throckmorton or Niang in the 2nd
Hennessey, Williams or Harris (not sure he lasts) in the 3rd
We now have a LT and C
Or a guy like Uche at edge in the 2nd stay the same in the 3rd and roll with Ezra Cleveland hell some think Throckmorton could drop to the 4th

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
" A Chandler Brewer Story"

Chandler Brewer's
rise from an unknown UDFA RG that many NFL draft sites had no information or rating on to being a Ram OL'er began on April 29, 2019 when Brewer signed his first Ram contract. Brewer started & played in all four preseason games. Most Brewers snaps with the #1 team offense were @ LT & LG with some RT snaps. Brewer was one of the top Ram OL'ers playing in 2019 preseason.

By the end of preseason. Chandler Brewer signed his second Ram contract to be a member on the Rams P.S. on Sept 1st 2019. Before the Rams TC got underway the Rams interior OL began to take some hits. Rams lost top reserve center Aaron Neary who was suspended 4 games for violating the league's substance abuse policy.

Then late preseason Allen's main back up Neary Hit #1 injured his knee & never returned to the Rams to play. Center Vitas Hrynkiewicz & Jeremiah Kolone took over back up duties for Brian Allen even Jamil Demby try his hand as a OC in late preseason. Rams cut Vitas H. & then signed Jeremiah Kolone to the PS for OC insurance & signed Coleman Shelton directly to the active roster to replace back up OC Aaron Neary.

The next OL Hit #2 occurred wk#2 in the Saints game when starting RG Austin Blythe injured his ankle & was replaced by Jamil Demby which I would call the beginning of Hit #3 in a sense. Wk#3 Demby started his first gm against the Browns turning in a very poor effort enough scare the Rams to cause Blythe to come back way too early from injury. As of that event Blythe played through that nagging ankle injury throughout season. In addition, after the season concluded Blythe had surgery on both of his shoulders.

The next big OL Hit #4 occurred on Oct 13, 2019. Starting LG Noteboom suffered a severe knee injury & was lost for the season. Swing OG Jamil Demby replaced him @ LG. Demby then completed Hit #3 with dismal performance that resulted in Demby NEVER playing in another Ram game. 5th rd Rookie David Edwards who by now was the #6 OL'er with Demby starting started in place of Demby @ LG. After the Noteboom injury wk#7 OT rookie Bobby Evans was activated for the first time for a gm as the reserve LT position.

On October 14, 2019 Snead/ McVay/Kromer knew they were in serious trouble with the OL. At this point in time Kromer had already lost his back up center Neary & starting LG Noteboom who was also his main back up @ LT. Kromer was playing a badly injured RG Blythe due to Demby's inability to perform @ NFL & could no longer be counted on to be a decent back up. Kromer had a 5th rd rookie starting now @ LG in David Edwards. The main interior reserve was newly acquired ex Cards rookie Coleman Shelton who was cut by the Cards. On October 15th,2019 Snead traded with Browns for former very high 2nd rd. 2018 draft selection LT Austin Corbett for a 5th rd 2020 pick.

The Ol settled down for a while after Corbett's arrival but two main wheels flew off wk#10 on November 11th, 2019 against Pittsburgh. Hit# 5 Rams lost starting center Allen for the rest of the season. Rookie Shelton was forced into starting action @ OC for Allen. In addition, starting RT Havenstein suffered a severe knee injury too, Havenstein was forced to continue play through a right meniscus injury because Kromer went into the Steelers game without making reserve OT Bobby Evans active. Later Corbett received Edwards @ LG who then relieved Havenstein @ RT. Hit #6 RT Rob Havenstein injured knee was never healthy again & he did not start another gm in 2019.

By Wk#11 the Rams OL underwent a paradigm shift should I call it Big Hit #7 ?. Kromer had a new starting LG Corbett, new starting RG rookie Edwards, new starting RT rookie Evans & a new starting center Blythe. FOUR starters in new positions. It was during this event that Chandler Brewer signed a new Ram contract for active roster duties on Nov 13, 2019.

Brewer was now Kromers top swing OT & OG reserve #6 OL'er. Brewer now was taking weekly practice snaps for LT Whitworth. From this point on Wk#11 till the end of the season Kromer depended on Chandler Brewer as his main reserve for four OL posts. No other Ol'er saw snaps with the offense. Brewer is signed thru 2021 when he is still attached contract wise with the Rams as a ERFA in 2021.

So @So Ram you still think "Brewer can improve & has a chance to make the squad"?

excellent report... yeah, no doubt . I also think the whole offensive line can improve. They were all thrown into the coals.

If this happened during the last 2 season what do you think Ram fans would be saying about Mcvay,Snead, & Kromer ??

I like the young talent & I don’t think I’ll see much change in the roster from the offensive lineman. I think Blythe & Whitworth both stay put as Rams.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
If the Rams decide not to re-sign Whitworth due to age/cost/ability decline, then my free agent interest leans towards :

NT - Danny Shelton ($20.mil over 4 years)
ILB - Patrick Onwausor ($20.mil over 4 years)
RG - Brandon Scherff ($50.mil over 4 years)

2020 CAP currently listed at $23.7mil

CAP Cut M.Brown - Save $1.mil
CAP Cut Weddle - Save $4.25mil
Trade NRC - Save $4.5mil (To Texans for pick #153 in the 5'th)
Trade Everett - Save $1.mil (To NE for pick #87 in the 3'rd)
Tag & Trade Fowler to NYG for pick #36

Sign Draft Class - Cost $5.5mil

No restructures necessary

2020 Draft :

1) N/A
2a) #36
2b) #52
3a) #84
3b) #87 - From NE Trade
3c) Compensation Pick
4) #116
5) #153 From Texans Trade
6) #179
7) #211

:censored: On my draft, for now.

:)
They are now projecting Saffold's comp pick yo be a 4th... Just a heads up.

View: https://twitter.com/nickkorte/status/1213164441925124097?s=19

My final 2020 compensatory picks projection is now up:

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River

I've seen that, but still can't get around to believing it based on his performance. This also dismisses his post season play, which I don't know whether it will count or not ?
If this holds, guess I'll have to adjust my next mock. jmo.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
If that's the case, I would move back into Rd 1 for a good LT via both 2nd picks. In the 3rd Rd its OC, 5DT & RB. 4th rd CB. 5th RD MLB. 6th WR & 7th Rd S

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
source.gif

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Honestly, if we could get a stud Center, so much of our OL would be better. I don't care if it's a rookie (Travis Frederick solidified that OL in Dallas when it was very hit or miss as an example of how a rookie C can change things).

So, whether we make moves like a Fowler tag and trade or what, if we get into the first round, I want that C from Wisconsin, Tyler Biadasz.

Would I be good getting Scherff, no C at all and letting big Whit go? Hell no.

That said, whatever's gonna happen is gonna happen and I'll just ride with what they do.
Here's PFF recent list of the top UFA 2020 centers. The Rams veteran starting center Austin Blythe is rated #13 out of the #14 known UFA centers. Just based on this one site's rating list of UFA OC's Austin Blythe might have a much harder time finding a big pay day long term contract based off his 6 NFL seasons collection of overall work. Point is he may get some advice from his agent to sign a reasonable low cost one year contract by the Rams to improve his chances of reaching a much better payday. What do you think?

The bad news I got from this is the rating of my favorite desired UFA veteran OC to be considered by Snead. I was hoping that his hard work would go under the radar........well that is not going to happen. I've been posting for some time on Ben Garland behalf........to be a Ram.

Garland is rated on the very top of this PFF list with a rating of 71.4:oops:. Austin Blythe has a rating of 50.5:rolleyes:.

Last edited:

AZRams

What, we're all thinking it...
Also somebody that was talked about a lot around here last year or two as a free agent target is now a free agent again. Todd Davis played ILB for the Bronco's last year and took 85% of defensive snaps. He's not a Pro Bowler but he's a good starter. He's also somebody that our new DC is familiar with.

He available for less than what Littleton is going to want?

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Based on his performance against Arizona
He was not impressive at all. Thank God Evans came back in. The Rams might have lost the game,or worse Goff would get injured.
That being said, Brewer can improve & has a chance to make the squad.
If this is the case though, why draft another lineman with so many young players on the squad.
How many snaps did Brewer get with the offense @ RT during the Cards game?

My understanding was Havenstein & Evans had been #1 & #2 all season long @ RT with Jamil Demby entering the picture when Havenstein went down.

It had been brought out during press briefing by Rams Org that Chandler Brewer was exclusively working on the left side as Andrew Whitworth LT back up & was also the main back up to Austin Corbett @ LG. Wonder how much time Brewer had been getting on the right side of the OL ? I do know that Jamil Demby was not dressed & active to back up the RT post in the last game.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He available for less than what Littleton is going to want?
Can't say for certain but yeah I'd wager if he hits the market he will be as his last contract was 3 years $15 million and he's rumored to be a cap casualty.

wolfdogg

Hall of Fame
Name
wolfdogg
Can't say for certain but yeah I'd wager if he hits the market he will be as his last contract was 3 years $15 million and he's rumored to be a cap casualty.

Davis was tied for 8th or 9th in tackles last year with......Littleton.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Davis was tied for 8th or 9th in tackles last year with......Littleton.
And likely gets waived and takes less money. Also tackles isn’t the best indicator of performance and somebody’s overall ability.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
How many snaps did Brewer get with the offense @ RT during the Cards game?

My understanding was Havenstein & Evans had been #1 & #2 all season long @ RT with Jamil Demby entering the picture when Havenstein went down.

It had been brought out during press briefing by Rams Org that Chandler Brewer was exclusively working on the left side as Andrew Whitworth LT back up & was also the main back up to Austin Corbett @ LG. Wonder how much time Brewer had been getting on the right side of the OL ? I do know that Jamil Demby was not dressed & active to back up the RT post in the last game.

Bonify man, we are both Ram fans & want the best for each player. I really like guys like Chandler Brewer & what he brings to The Rams organization.He is actually the only guard listed on The Rams web-site roster,but listed as LT behind Whitworth.

Havenstien was not on the game day roster either & Evans was actually playing hurt against Arizona. The funny thing is that guy Williams who I thought would beat out Demby was in that same postion McVays first season.Austin Blythe was the backup guard/center. Talk about not having depth.
Ram fans want to complain about Kromer,but if The Rams had any type of injuries McVays first 2 seasons Kromer would have heard about & The Rams don’t make the playoffs.
What I’m saying is The Rams have depth & Brewer will be apart of it, and there was some sarcasm there. I also think Whitworth comes back next season?? That is because he is an awesome mentor& The Rams are going into a New Stadium.Gives Noteboom time to get healthy.
Kromer will keep only 8 lineman & it will be competitive.Maybe 9 if the player is worth it. Then again The Rams could trade Big Rob if Brewer is that good ???