PREGAME Rams at Packers NFC Divisional round matchup

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yeah individually I am not afraid of any of the NFC matchups. It's the thought of this team stringing the wins together mostly that would concern me.

AFC is going to produce a nasty matchup though. I don't think the Chiefs are a given either but it's still gonna be a heck of a matchup.

Every game is going to be tough. That's the reality. If we make a run, it has to go through Wilson, Rodgers, and Brees/Brady. Then, we have to beat the team that comes out of the AFC. But that's the playoffs. Gotta be honest, I'm not as concerned about any team out of the AFC as I am about the Saints. They have a nasty defense and a HOF QB. The Packers aren't pushovers either. But their defense has more vulnerabilities on paper.

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
Not sure if anyone watched McVays media session today. But to me it sure sounds like Wolford is starting again in GB. I thought it was a gutsy performance by Goff in SEA, but he's clearly not 100%. Wolford's injury was classified as a stinger and he seems okay according to McVay.

Listen to his answers in these sections:

Gary Klein - 5:03 - 6:40

Jourdan Rodrigue - 8:31 - 10:55

View: https://youtu.be/mh0uJXXcssw

I thought so too. If so, hope it's the right choice...

The one thing I will say is that it would be easier to pull Wolford for Goff if necessary than the other way around.

Goff is already pissed off about the deal from last week and having to play games with the press. Goff being somewhat pissed off will concentrate his attention, but imo a full scale conflict with McVay would not be a good thing on any level. If you don't trust your high paid starting qb in the playoffs, you better be prepared for the consequences.

MachS

Hall of Fame
I thought so too. If so, hope it's the right choice...

The one thing I will say is that it would be easier to pull Wolford for Goff if necessary than the other way around.

Goff is already pissed off about the deal from last week and having to play games with the press. Goff being somewhat pissed off will concentrate his attention, but imo a full scale conflict with McVay would not be a good thing on any level. If you don't trust your high paid starting qb in the playoffs, you better be prepared for the consequences.

Yea I'm with you, and the media has to understand Goff is a tough fucker, of course he wants to start and is going to say all the right things. Hes the QB of this team and I'm sure he wants to battle through the injury and go to war with the guys.

But from McVays perspective, his job is to win by any means necessary so it makes sense. I dont think its about "not trusting Goff"..its really just about his health. He's not 100%, he cant make all the throws right now. And I think McVay has a good amount of confidence in Wolford, maybe more than we think. Last week he obviously thought Wolford could execute the plays better given Goff's injury. I mean its his throwing thumb for God's sake. And if Goff cant execute like he's used to, its a tough situation for McVay. But I was surprised the way he answered those questions and to me it seems like Wolford will be starting.

TexasRam

Legend
Yea I'm with you, and the media has to understand Goff is a tough fucker, of course he wants to start and is going to say all the right things. Hes the QB of this team and I'm sure he wants to battle through the injury and go to war with the guys.

But from McVays perspective, his job is to win by any means necessary so it makes sense. I dont think its about "not trusting Goff"..its really just about his health. He's not 100%, he cant make all the throws right now. And I think McVay has a good amount of confidence in Wolford, maybe more than we think. Last week he obviously thought Wolford could execute the plays better given Goff's injury. I mean its his throwing thumb for God's sake. And if Goff cant execute like he's used to, its a tough situation for McVay. But I was surprised the way he answered those questions and to me it seems like Wolford will be starting.
I would also deduce that Wolford would get the nod. It seems they want to play it close to the vest again but in Mcvays own words, you saw the limitations Goff had and the reason he didn't get the start as more than a few passes he couldnt throw at all. Mcvay statement was they need to make a decision today or tommorrow and communicate it. It makes sense. You need the starter to get the reps to be ready especially in Wolfords case since he's not as familiar. If Goff is at all questionable then it makes sense to get Wolford the reps.

I also agree Mcvays has lots of confidence in Wolford so it makes the decision easier.. and really Goff knows the system so well that he could always come in at 60% or whatever if Wolford really struggled. But another thought is even if Wolfords passes were off you could deploy his running skills to move the offense and move the chains. There might also be a scenario where Wolford gets the starter reps during the week but Goff's thumb really improves Fri and Sat and Mcvay changes course to give Jared the nod.

Rams8821

Pro Bowler
Special Teams:

This will be big.

GB is not nearly as good as Seattle's ST's.

Their FG kicker is 16 for 16 so he's due for a miss, but Punt and Kickoff they are well below Seattle. I know ours has not been great but if we can win this area on Saturday I really like our chances. Hekker, time for a BIG game.

Webster really needs to come up and make catches rather than the ball landing on that frozen ground and picking up an extra 10-25 yards. Field position is going to be very important.

Had Kupp not hurt his knee I wouldn't mind him back there, Webster has gotten better but Id like him to not have the ball bounce as much.

The Ramowl

Starter
Special Teams:

This will be big.

GB is not nearly as good as Seattle's ST's.

Their FG kicker is 16 for 16 so he's due for a miss, but Punt and Kickoff they are well below Seattle. I know ours has not been great but if we can win this area on Saturday I really like our chances. Hekker, time for a BIG game.

Webster really needs to come up and make catches rather than the ball landing on that frozen ground and picking up an extra 10-25 yards. Field position is going to be very important.

Had Kupp not hurt his knee I wouldn't mind him back there, Webster has gotten better but Id like him to not have the ball bounce as much.

I don't know what has been up with Hekker, he made some really lousy punts recently, and we rarely managed to pin the opposing team deep recently. It was very worrying to me in the first half of the Seattle game. I really hope he gets himself together against Green Bay because if we consistently give Rodgers good field position we're going to have a really bad time.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams fans may also appreciate that Green Bay did not instead waste its first round pick on another offensive player, for instance Chase Claypool or Jonathan Taylor. When you have Aaron Rodgers, why bother to give him any weapons?

Great job drafting Green Bay!!!
They also traded pick #136 in order to waste the first round pick on Love, pick #136 turned out to be....
Brycen Hopkins!

Rams8821

Pro Bowler
I don't know what has been up with Hekker, he made some really lousy punts recently, and we rarely managed to pin the opposing team deep recently. It was very worrying to me in the first half of the Seattle game. I really hope he gets himself together against Green Bay because if we consistently give Rodgers good field position we're going to have a really bad time.

I agree very odd for someone as good as him. Hopefully wont see him much Saturday!

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
If we allow Rogers to dump off to whoever is nearest Reeder anytime he wants, its going to be a long day.

If our defense does what its done for weeks now, they will give us a chance. If Matt Gays kicks stay perfect and Hekker can avoid giving Rogers good field position all day, we will still have that chance.
If the Oline can't get push and open lanes for Akers and Brown, we will have a chance and if we don't lose the turnover battle, we will have a chance.
But Lafleur and Rogers are going to test our LBers all day.

iamme33

Pro Bowler
Name
dan
Its basically the most talented qb to ever play playing in the McVay/Shanahan outside zone/play action scheme. Man, just look at the Aaron Rodgers highlights from this year. 48 TD's and only 5 ints.
wow!! 48 td's to 5 ints is mr rogers ever past due

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I'm not as concerned about any team out of the AFC as I am about the Saints. They have a nasty defense and a HOF QB. The Packers aren't pushovers either. But their defense has more vulnerabilities on paper.

I concur, but I could also see the Buccaneers beating the Saints too. Both teams have good defenses and excellent DC's. I chuckle at analysts that were wondering why Saints DC Dennis Allen can't get a sniff for a HC Gig, well, he was Head Coach of the Raiders from 2012-2014 and was 8-28, no team is going to hire someone with a record like that, they just won't IMHO.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Reading Packers forums they're already counting a W and debating who they prefer to play next. Would love to go in and crush their dreams with a defensive punch in da face.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Reading Packers forums they're already counting a W and debating who they prefer to play next. Would love to go in and crush their dreams with a defensive punch in da face.

Yeah, I've been surprised at how cocky they are. I guess they think with our QB situation that we don't stand a chance. They might end up being right.

nighttrain

Legend
Yeah, I've been surprised at how cocky they are. I guess they think with our QB situation that we don't stand a chance. They might end up being right.
due to his thumb i'm having a difficult time seeing Goff being effective in the cold of GB
train

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
I def don't want Goff playing in this game. A hurt thumb in 26 degree weather. The ball gets rock hard and his thumb is gonna be sore AF. Its gonna be real hard for goff to get a good grip on that ball. Sounds like The Wolf should be ready to go

Ewe83

Mama's got a new baby boy
What I love about this team right now is that it feels like there's a chance, I don't know if we'll come away with the W but I feel like there is a chance if we put up a good enough fight and that feels good. It's nice to have excitement and hope

Tano

Legend
I agree very odd for someone as good as him. Hopefully wont see him much Saturday!
I agree with a few people who have stated that Hekker is purposely punting short since their punt coverage unit sucks so much.

After Hekker kicked it deep against Miami and it was returned for a TD, I have see Hekker punt shorter and shorter.

We really need to fire that special teams coordinator because he might have screwed Hekker up for good now.