QB Trade Options

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

fearsomefour

Legend
I honestly cant understand the fascination with Fitzpatrick. Without Chan Gailey, Fitzpatrick has been no better than Shaun Hill. Sure if Fitz was going to bring Gailey, Decker and Brandon Marshall with him, that would be great.
Other thing to realize is that the Jets are considering *upgrading* the position with Colin Freakin Kaepernick. If the Jets are willing to give up on him after the year he just had, that says a lot about the player
I think it says a lot about the Jets....and wanting a younger player.
I don't think there is a fascination with Fitzpatrick, but, he is better than any QB the Rams have on the roster by a pretty wide margin. He was very good for most of the year with the Jets last year. Of course, the Jets had better talent at WR than the Rams have as well.
Fitzpatrick seems gettable and is an upgrade. Wanted to get him last year, over Foles as he is (pretty obviously) a better QB.
I doubt he hits the market however.

fearsomefour

Legend
Why trade when other, better, and less expensive options are available?

Ryan Fitzpatrick and Sam Bradford are both FA's.

Unless they're franchise tagged by their respective teams, the Rams could enter and maybe win a bidding war for their services.

No picks need be spent and heaven knows the cap space is now available.

A genuine opportunity for each QB for the playoffs with the Rams. And in LA, at that.

Rams instantly are in "win now" mode behind either QB in their new home.

Almost too obvious, isn't it?
Fitzpatrick will probably cost in that $10-11M a year range and Bradford will cost in the $15-18M range per year I would guess.
It is good to be a QB. With all our FA the Rams will be deciding who to let go to bring an expensive FA QB.
Not what I prefer, but, I am suspecting week 1 2016 season the starter is already on the roster.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Rivers has a no trade clause. Even if SD was willing to deal him (highly unlikely), I don't feel like Rivers wants to leave. I'd love to get Rivers, though.
I agree with all of this^! And add to it Rivers didn't want to come to L.A. as a Charger, why would he want to come to L.A. as a Ram!?

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think it says a lot about the Jets....and wanting a younger player.
I don't think there is a fascination with Fitzpatrick, but, he is better than any QB the Rams have on the roster by a pretty wide margin. He was very good for most of the year with the Jets last year. Of course, the Jets had better talent at WR than the Rams have as well.
Fitzpatrick seems gettable and is an upgrade. Wanted to get him last year, over Foles as he is (pretty obviously) a better QB.
I doubt he hits the market however.
Actually the Jets relied on him against Buffalo and when the chips were down, he folded.
I don't see where Fitzpatrick is any better than Keenum. And if he hits FA he will be paid well.
The only success he has had is with offensive guru Chan Gailey as his OC.
Without Gailey hes a barely 60% passer with a 77 rating.
Heck, in Houston he was basically benched behind Keenum

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
But why Glennon when everyone compares him to Mannion?
We have Mannion - throw the kid in if picking up Glennon is a valid option

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yeah, that's where I would be.
#1 option is to trade up for Wentz/Goff
#2 if some high value trade is available (Stafford/Rivers etc which I believe is impossible)
#3, roll with Mannion. I don't see a FA any better than what we have. Might as well see why they drafted the kid

Rams43

Hall of Fame
What is the better, less expensive option? Glennon is the least expensive option. As for better, I cant think of a realistic better option. Glennon is a very good player and better than Fitzgerald. Bradford may be a better player but I dont know if that is a realistic option.

JMHO, I think Glennon is a better player than Fitzpatrick and comes with a cap hit of 1.8M and only a 1 year commit. As for Bradford, he is going to cost a fortune and do we really want to go and do another 5 years call it 80M with him again?

A 3rd or 4th pick for a starting QB is not a bad deal. Not to mention he has 2 season of NFL games under his belt. Its questionable if you can get a day 1 starter in this draft. I am not ruling out a Lynch pick at 15 either if he was to fall. Imagine having real QB depth for a change lol? I am not convinced the cap space is there, in fact I would say its not available. If we want to sign our guys and lock up others, the cap space is not there at all, especially if you need to allocate upwards of 10M for a QB which is what the dollars for Fitz will be. JJ and Tru eat up about 25M. Barron and McLeod will cost at least 5M each, that pushes you to 30M. Hayes is probably worth 5 and these are just the big ones. So we are at 35M. You also need to factor in Ogletree and Brockers potentially. Austin is coming up and it may make sense to extend Donald sooner than later also. Im not comfortable throwing big dollars at any player unless they have been wearing horns for a few years.

We apparently see things quite differently on this topic, Boston.

I see Fitzpatrick as a "win now" bridge QB while we look for our long term QB solution.

I see Bradford as a "win now" QB that might be our franchise QB for the next 8-10 years.

I also see either fitting under our cap quite nicely.

And neither would cost us a single valuable premium draft pick.

IMHO, Glennon does not belong in the same discussion as these two when considering proven ability to win NFL games at the QB position. It appears that you feel differently.

I guess we need to agree to disagree, Boston.It's cool.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Rams need a decent one to two yr bridge QB in 2016. This would give Fisher & Snead more time to get thru this move to LA & find a future QB.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/quarterback/

Name me a QB who fits that need. I am just about 100% sure is not Case Keenum or Nick Foles so who? Who UFA QB is healthy that does not have a injury history? Who UFA QB is mobile enough to keep the pressure off this young OL? Name me a UFA QB who has been a starter for over 105 games. Someone we don't have to utilized future draft picks for?

I see all this trade up for this QB or that QB all of which is very hard & very unusual with extreme damage cost in the future to the overall roster....I wonder what the word cost means? Chances are not good to land one of the top 3 QB's think on it! Draft is two months away free agency is here! You can not wait around & see what the draft day Santa Clause will drop in your lap & if your are left empty what you going to do? Thats right start Case Keenum or Nick Foles again with a weaker defense than what we had in 2015:palm:.

Last edited:

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
We apparently see things quite differently on this topic, Boston.

I see Fitzpatrick as a "win now" bridge QB while we look for our long term QB solution.

I see Bradford as a "win now" QB that might be our franchise QB for the next 8-10 years.

I also see either fitting under our cap quite nicely.

And neither would cost us a single valuable premium draft pick.

IMHO, Glennon does not belong in the same discussion as these two when considering proven ability to win NFL games at the QB position. It appears that you feel differently.

I guess we need to agree to disagree, Boston.It's cool.

Its cool to disagree :) Here is my issue with Fitzpatrick. For a Harvard alum he makes too many bad decisions for me. He has always been prone to the bad INT ala Austin. I agree he would be a decent bridge but expensive also and my priority would be to bring back that defense and that includes JJ, Tru, Barron and McLeod.

Bradford: I just dont see him coming back and I would not commit 18M per year for 5 years. I think Bradford is a very good QB but I said when he left it was probably a good move for the Rams because they need to move on and for Bradford it was good for him, because I think he needed a fresh start. Its a nice idea but Im not sure its realistic.

Glennon to me is very good QB who has room to grow. He makes very good decisions and does not turn the ball over. He has a good not great arm but can make the necessary throws. He is a win now type of guy who actually can be your franchise guy and as stated previously, you still have the option to draft another QB.

I dont know if you seriously think Fitz and Bradford are realistic options or not. Im not they are. My point is Glennon is a realistic option and a player that improves our situation today. He is a better QB than Keenum.

Also I think its worth noting: Tom Brady just signed a 2 year extension with NE (literally 10 minutes ago). This could mean Jimmy Garoppolo could be available now. He has 2 years left so he would cost at a minimum 2nd round pick. I would be knocking down the door now to see if he was available.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame

I dont think Mannion is where Glennon is or has the same ceiling. That being said, if the FO thought the same then I would roll with Mannion. Im just not a Mannion guy personally.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
It's interesting to me that so many of you think Fitz is an option. This past season is the first in his long career where he didn't implode. Could he sustain another good season? Very risky signing and his career norm implies he's not worth the effort since he's similar to what the Rams already have.

Bradford might be an actual upgrade in FA, probably the only one tbh, but how much of an upgrade? Statistically it was more of the same from him, where the only difference was he underwhelmed and teased a different team. How much does he want on the market? I have a hard time believing he wants $20+ million, but who knows.

Way I see it Bradford would be an ideal bridge QB while a high drafted rookie learns. But if they sign Sam it's gonna be pricey and he'll want years, so will they then take a QB high? I don't know, think DE might be in order at that point and we're right back where we were before with all our hopes on Sam and some unknown they scoop in round 3 or later.

I still maintain a move up for QB is the best thing they can do for the franchise, but since it does look unlikely it seems a trade would have the potential to get them a better quality option as a starter. This is why I think it's worth discussion.

As to Glennon, I see him similar to McCarron where he's a guy who might be able to help and shouldn't necessarily cost too much. Going that route there are some other options particularly if you look at previous years' draftees that have not played yet, but then you get into the why overpay for them when you should be able to draft an equivalent in this class for cheaper draft capital.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
I am considering Fitz and Bradford as options simply because both are UFA's and neither have been tagged as yet.

Moreover, both are superior to anything we currently can trot out there at QB.

And both can be easily fit under our new cap.

That's why I have both on the table right now.

I would have included Cousins as well, but the Redskins say they are tagging him. Thus, I consider him no longer an option.

Garropollo is intriguing. Might be worth a 2nd, huh?

Who knows how this S&F QB chess game plays out? But it should be verrrrry interesting, no doubt.

fearsomefour

Legend
Actually the Jets relied on him against Buffalo and when the chips were down, he folded.
I don't see where Fitzpatrick is any better than Keenum. And if he hits FA he will be paid well.
The only success he has had is with offensive guru Chan Gailey as his OC.
Without Gailey hes a barely 60% passer with a 77 rating.
Heck, in Houston he was basically benched behind Keenum
Highlighting one game is meaningless.
Overall though, your breakdown is fair enough.
He has a body of work to look at, at least a lot more of one. Keenum has not been able to stay on the field really either, moved around ect.
For the Rams sake I hope you are right. I wouldn't want the Rams paying Fitzpatrick what the market will probably demand. For a $7M range he is enough of an upgrade over Keenum to justify that, in my opinion, given his experience ect. Anything above that I wouldn't want to do it and he will probably demand 30% more than that. Or, maybe he is Keenum just older and with a better beard.

OC_Ram

Restricted Free Agent
Demoff already told us the QB position wasn't a top priority. Now some may view this as a smoke screen but I think he was telling "his" truth. If a top QB drops to us at 15 I beleve we'd take him, think Lynch, but if not I believe we'll grab a second tier type in the 2nd round.

My guess? I believe they will grab a WR or DE in the 1st, QB and TE in the 2nd.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I am considering Fitz and Bradford as options simply because both are UFA's and neither have been tagged as yet.

Moreover, both are superior to anything we currently can trot out there at QB.

Fitz career QB rate: 80.8
Fitz 2015 QB rate: 88

Bradford career QB rate: 81
Bradford 2015 QB rate: 86.4

Keenum career QB rate: 79.8
Keenum 2015 QB rate: 87.7

Now rack and stack cost vs performance...

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Fitz career QB rate: 80.8
Fitz 2015 QB rate: 88

Bradford career QB rate: 81
Bradford 2015 QB rate: 86.4

Keenum career QB rate: 79.8
Keenum 2015 QB rate: 87.7

Now rack and stack cost vs performance...

I actually wouldn't be averse to gambling that Keenum will improve while the Rams develop another QB behind him.

However, Keenum currently is not a QB that defenses have any particular reason to fear.
Keenum Y/G 138
2015 TD Percentage 3.2%

Some of that is the system, of course

Fitzpatrick Y/G 244.1
2015 TD Percentage 5.5%

In 2014 under a different system it was 5.4%. He's always been someone who finds the end zone. His career, including the early years when he came out of the Ivy League, h e has averaged 4.4%

What Fitzpatrick would do for the Rams' offense is give defenses a reason not to just sit on Gurley. Because if they did, Fitzpatrick has shown over his career that he will make defenses pay. His biggest problem (and Fisher may reject him for that) are the interceptions he throws at times - though if the defense is playing back to try for those, then Gurley will have more space.

Obviously the cost matters, but I tend to think that the Rams are more likely to have a big season with Fitzpatrick than they would with Keenum.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
......My guess? I believe they will grab a WR or DE in the 1st, QB and TE in the 2nd.

Your close....I thinking one of those top super talented DT's with the First #15 then the best 2nd tier QB with 2nd #43. Then either a WR or DE @ 2nd #45. The need for a pass catcher @ wide out would override any TE concerns & the health of pass rusher Rob Quinn back may come into play here. Securing that talented DT would help with the 2016 DT Nick Fairley departure & the possible NT Micheal Brockers departure next yr at this time.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Obviously the cost matters, but I tend to think that the Rams are more likely to have a big season with Fitzpatrick than they would with Keenum.

You might be right. But the Rams just paid Foles a 2 year contract he did not deserve and got bit by it. Bringing in Fitz is risky in the same way, worse actually since Fitz has a long and proven track record of what he is: a backup level talent. IMO the Rams need to get away from these mediocre QBs that will keep them from being a real contender. We know what Fitz is, he's just a guy at the position. We already have JAGs at QB, two of them in fact and probably Mannion as well.

It honestly would not surprise me to see Fish go after Fitz. But it just makes me crazy to see it, when the obvious answer is that they need to raise the bar at the position and quit effin around with lesser talents. I'd suck it up, and trade way up and get my MFing QB, but hey maybe I'm on crazy pills idk.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
You might be right. But the Rams just paid Foles a 2 year contract he did not deserve and got bit by it. Bringing in Fitz is risky in the same way, worse actually since Fitz has a long and proven track record of what he is: a backup level talent. IMO the Rams need to get away from these mediocre QBs that will keep them from being a real contender. We know what Fitz is, he's just a guy at the position. We already have JAGs at QB, two of them in fact and probably Mannion as well.

It honestly would not surprise me to see Fish go after Fitz. But it just makes me crazy to see it, when the obvious answer is that they need to raise the bar at the position and quit effin around with lesser talents. I'd suck it up, and trade way up and get my MFing QB, but hey maybe I'm on crazy pills idk.

I can see your point, Merlin.

But I just don't agree with your strategy. At least not currently.

Here's my thinking.

Experts, including no less than Polian, have declared that none of the big 3 QB's should be allowed anywhere near the field in their 1st year. Other pundits have declared that no QB in this class appears to have Pro Bowl potential. Still others have claimed that none of the QB's this year would have been higher than the third taken in last year's draft, if even that.

Sooooo... Why in the world should we mortgage our draft at the top this year and maybe some next year for a Goff or Wentz? It reminds me of my youth when I would get a bad case of " new car fever". My desire would overcome my common sense every time.

Yeah, Foles was a big QB mistake. Especially with that damned premature extension.

But why risk compounding our QB problems with a rash trade up for a clipboard holder that may never even be a quality starter?

Instead, why not take a Lynch if he falls to 15? And get two stud starters in the 2nd round?

Or take a QB in the 2nd that they like, and use our 1st and the other 2nd on starter studs?

Better still, sign a "Win now" QB such as Fitz or Bradford, if available, and use ALL of our picks for new quality starters?