QB Trade Options

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
These are stacked in order of preference by yours truly. General rule is it has to make sense for both teams, and I think each of these do.

4. Rams trade with Packers, target = Hundley. This is a risky trade for the Rams, as the Packers have been talking Hundley up and have been developing him, and would likely make the Rams pay dearly for an unproven prospect under the assumption he would not need as much development time as a rookie. I think Hundley is a nice fit for what the Rams are looking for in a QB of the future, but this is unlikely from the Rams perspective because they haven't seen enough from him to drive them to do it. Do I think Snead calls to inquire? Hrm, tough call, and even if he does I suspect the price would be too prohibitive for what the Rams would expect in return. Still, it is a possibility IMO, IF the Rams really liked Hundley coming out which I suspect they did.

3. Rams trade with Chargers, target = Rivers. As I've mentioned before I don't think this is a likely scenario simply because the owner of SD hates our owner. That stuff is real man. BUT, that aside, this deal makes a great amount of sense for both teams. The Rams have the roster to make a QB move where they cap the roster with that last need, namely a guy who can play now. Rivers has underperformed a bit under difficult circumstances in San Diego, with a poor roster that needs help all over the joint. Cost would be high for this move. Likely we're talking two first round picks, which would be this year's pick at 15 overall and next year's as well. The logic in San Diego's favor is they then take Goff or Wentz and proceed to retool their team. Do I think Snead gets on the horn with Tom Telesco? Yes, but Spanos likely keeps it from happening.

2 Rams trade with Lions, target = Stafford. This is another situation where you have a team that needs to retool their roster moving their QB to a team that is ready to win. A lot of people will be surprised I list the Lions, but their roster not only has significant needs, but they also are about to lose their best WR to early retirement because he knows a rebuild is looming. New GM has to be looking around thinking "Oh F!" Stafford is under contract until 2018 and he's in his prime at 28 so this move would be very, very costly for the Rams and very beneficial for the Lions who need those extra picks to plug holes at LT and upgrade their aging roster. Do I think Snead gets on the horn with Bob Quinn? Yes. But I do think it is unlikely because the price to pry Stafford away might be too much for the Rams.

1. Rams trade with Cincinnati, target = McCarron. AJ isn't going to see the field next season behind Dalton who was having his best season pre-injury. AJ hits FA in 2017. Bengals certainly value him given the way he came in and played for them following Dalton's injury (3 of 4 games he played he did not have Eifert), but his value is also significant to the team in trade. They're not looking to move McCarron, but would they listen to trade offers? Certainly. Even better, I doubt they would consider moving him to the Browns due to them being a division rival, but to the Rams in the NFC West it would be a matter of compensation. How much? Discussions would certainly require one of the Rams' round 2 picks this year. Value to the Rams would be Fish gets the "solid" type QB he wants who is young and still has some upside but not needing development time. Value to the Bengals is they would have a very valuable pick in a draft that is disgustingly rich in defensive studs. IMO if the Rams bring in a veteran via trade this is the most likely move, the one I think they would make due to affordability.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
These are stacked in order of preference by yours truly. General rule is it has to make sense for both teams, and I think each of these do.

4. Rams trade with Packers, target = Hundley. This is a risky trade for the Rams, as the Packers have been talking Hundley up and have been developing him, and would likely make the Rams pay dearly for an unproven prospect under the assumption he would not need as much development time as a rookie. I think Hundley is a nice fit for what the Rams are looking for in a QB of the future, but this is unlikely from the Rams perspective because they haven't seen enough from him to drive them to do it. Do I think Snead calls to inquire? Hrm, tough call, and even if he does I suspect the price would be too prohibitive for what the Rams would expect in return. Still, it is a possibility IMO, IF the Rams really liked Hundley coming out which I suspect they did.

3. Rams trade with Chargers, target = Rivers. As I've mentioned before I don't think this is a likely scenario simply because the owner of SD hates our owner. That stuff is real man. BUT, that aside, this deal makes a great amount of sense for both teams. The Rams have the roster to make a QB move where they cap the roster with that last need, namely a guy who can play now. Rivers has underperformed a bit under difficult circumstances in San Diego, with a poor roster that needs help all over the joint. Cost would be high for this move. Likely we're talking two first round picks, which would be this year's pick at 15 overall and next year's as well. The logic in San Diego's favor is they then take Goff or Wentz and proceed to retool their team. Do I think Snead gets on the horn with Tom Telesco? Yes, but Spanos likely keeps it from happening.

2 Rams trade with Lions, target = Stafford. This is another situation where you have a team that needs to retool their roster moving their QB to a team that is ready to win. A lot of people will be surprised I list the Lions, but their roster not only has significant needs, but they also are about to lose their best WR to early retirement because he knows a rebuild is looming. New GM has to be looking around thinking "Oh F!" Stafford is under contract until 2018 and he's in his prime at 28 so this move would be very, very costly for the Rams and very beneficial for the Lions who need those extra picks to plug holes at LT and upgrade their aging roster. Do I think Snead gets on the horn with Bob Quinn? Yes. But I do think it is unlikely because the price to pry Stafford away might be too much for the Rams.

1. Rams trade with Cincinnati, target = McCarron. AJ isn't going to see the field next season behind Dalton who was having his best season pre-injury. AJ hits FA in 2017. Bengals certainly value him given the way he came in and played for them following Dalton's injury (3 of 4 games he played he did not have Eifert), but his value is also significant to the team in trade. They're not looking to move McCarron, but would they listen to trade offers? Certainly. Even better, I doubt they would consider moving him to the Browns due to them being a division rival, but to the Rams in the NFC West it would be a matter of compensation. How much? Discussions would certainly require one of the Rams' round 2 picks this year. Value to the Rams would be Fish gets the "solid" type QB he wants who is young and still has some upside but not needing development time. Value to the Bengals is they would have a very valuable pick in a draft that is disgustingly rich in defensive studs. IMO if the Rams bring in a veteran via trade this is the most likely move, the one I think they would make due to affordability.

4. Massive risk. You've had deals like this pan out and then you've had deals like this bite the team that traded for the QB in the ass. Frankly, it wouldn't surprise me if the Rams explore this option. I'm surprised the Rams didn't look at Hundley closely last year. He's got a skill-set that fits Fisher's mold in Tennessee. But I feel like the price will make this move not worthwhile.

3. Rivers has a no trade clause. Even if SD was willing to deal him (highly unlikely), I don't feel like Rivers wants to leave. I'd love to get Rivers, though.

2. Lions aren't really in an opportunity to move Stafford. But if they're willing, I'd trade for him. That all said, I think they build around him with how well he played with Cooter after they fired Lombardi during the season.

1. I don't want A.J. McCarron. I watched him play in Cincy on their incredibly talented offense. He was not impressive. Looked like a game managing backup to me. Basically, a young Shaun Hill.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yeah, it ain't pretty man. This is why moving up in the draft is the answer! :yess:

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
There are only two directions I would like to go here and trading is not one.
  1. Draft Paxton Lynch, I post Lynch because IMO both Wentz & Goff will be gone.
  2. Sign Ryan Fitzpatrick...I doubt the Jets let him go, but if they do and the Rams are going with a game manager, I will go with the Harvard alum!

fearsomefour

Legend
No on all four.
Rivers or Stafford would be the only ones of interest really.
Rivers only if you think you can win it all in the next couple of years.
I don't either is up to be gotten.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  2. Sign Ryan Fitzpatrick...I doubt the Jets let him go, but if they do and the Rams are going with a game manager, I will go with the Harvard alum!

I wanted the Rams to try to get Fitzpatrick last year as a backup. If they had, they could have traded Sam to Cleveland for the reputed first that was offered. While there would have been no guarantees for how he would have performed, I think with the #19 pick as well as Gurley, and a non-sucky QB, the Rams would have made the playoffs. Ah, well. Too late for that. But getting Fitzpatrick this year as a bridge QB, that would let the Rams get a promising QB to develop in the 2nd, and use their first for BPA. They seem to do a good job using their first on BPA.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
Mike Glennon is going into the final year of his contract with Tampa. They may want to move him this year as he is not the future and would be an expensive back up. I would like the Rams to explore this. Get him for one year and see if he is your guy. You can still draft a guy like Lynch or Cook and if Glennon plays well you can sign and have a really good back up for a couple of years, if not cut ties and you move in the guy you drafted.

It's probably not going to cost too much either.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Mike Glennon is going into the final year of his contract with Tampa. They may want to move him this year as he is not the future and would be an expensive back up. I would like the Rams to explore this. Get him for one year and see if he is your guy. You can still draft a guy like Lynch or Cook and if Glennon plays well you can sign and have a really good back up for a couple of years, if not cut ties and you move in the guy you drafted.

It's probably not going to cost too much either.

I like this move, Boston. You're a smart man. ;)

BatteringRambo

Inked Gym Rat Stoner
Name
J.Fo
I like Glennon, too. However their GM Licht already said he's staying put. Besides who would back up Winston for them? Also the Bucs really have no incentive to move him.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I like Glennon, too. However their GM Licht already said he's staying put. Besides who would back up Winston for them? Also the Bucs really have no incentive to move him.

A pick is better than losing him in FA. Bucs can sign a backup in FA. I have a feeling Licht will move him if he gets offered a pick for him.

StealYoGurley

Pro Bowler
4. Hundley- If we wanted Hundley they could have drafted him in the spot they took mannion last year
3. Rivers- No trade clause, Dean hates Stan, and Rivers hates LA
2. Stafford- They trade him the cupboard is empty, and they are in the exact same unenviable spot for picking a QB we are, but just 1 pick later
1. AJ- Teams usually dont trade cheap solid backup QBs and the upside isn't there for us anyway

Draft here we come

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame

That is what Licht said last year (I believe, haven't seen that this year). Like Jrry said there is no value in keeping him because he walks next year. They had him under control last year so there was tremendous value for TB to keep him. A pick has more value for a team rebuilding.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That is what Licht said last year (I believe, haven't seen that this year). Like Jrry said there is no value in keeping him because he walks next year. They had him under control last year so there was tremendous value for TB to keep him. A pick has more value for a team rebuilding.

Three reasons to keep Glennon

1) they need somebody to be the backup, and he knows the system.
2) if he plays out his contract, he helps them get a comp pick
3) signing a backup QB in free agency likely means he is either more expensive or worse than Glennon, if not both.

I'm not saying that they wouldn't trade him, but it's unlikely for a future 7th like it took for Keenum. There would need to be some value for them - not a second, but something actually useful for rebuilding.

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
There are no pretty options. I like Fitzpatrick the most here but it's a long shot. Paxton Lynch isn't ready to start in the NFL, Hundley is a huge question mark, McCarron looked like he still has a lot of developing to do, Stafford is still relatively young so he can be a part of the Detroit rebuild, and Rivers leaving San Diego would take some serious pull.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
Three reasons to keep Glennon

1) they need somebody to be the backup, and he knows the system.
2) if he plays out his contract, he helps them get a comp pick
3) signing a backup QB in free agency likely means he is either more expensive or worse than Glennon, if not both.

I'm not saying that they wouldn't trade him, but it's unlikely for a future 7th like it took for Keenum. There would need to be some value for them - not a second, but something actually useful for rebuilding.

Fair points. They have a ton of cap space so money will not be an issue. I would offer a 4th but would give a 3rd to get him. I agree on the 7th rounder, I don't think they would do it either.

I agree with you on 3. Fact is it's likely a lost season if Winston goes down. Your going into the season with a lame duck backup, so move him now and address the backup spot now with a FA or draft someone to compete with Ryan

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Why trade when other, better, and less expensive options are available?

Ryan Fitzpatrick and Sam Bradford are both FA's.

Unless they're franchise tagged by their respective teams, the Rams could enter and maybe win a bidding war for their services.

No picks need be spent and heaven knows the cap space is now available.

A genuine opportunity for each QB for the playoffs with the Rams. And in LA, at that.

Rams instantly are in "win now" mode behind either QB in their new home.

Almost too obvious, isn't it?

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
Why trade when other, better, and less expensive options are available?

What is the better, less expensive option? Glennon is the least expensive option. As for better, I cant think of a realistic better option. Glennon is a very good player and better than Fitzgerald. Bradford may be a better player but I dont know if that is a realistic option.

Ryan Fitzpatrick and Sam Bradford are both FA's

JMHO, I think Glennon is a better player than Fitzpatrick and comes with a cap hit of 1.8M and only a 1 year commit. As for Bradford, he is going to cost a fortune and do we really want to go and do another 5 years call it 80M with him again?

No picks need be spent and heaven knows the cap space is now available.

A 3rd or 4th pick for a starting QB is not a bad deal. Not to mention he has 2 season of NFL games under his belt. Its questionable if you can get a day 1 starter in this draft. I am not ruling out a Lynch pick at 15 either if he was to fall. Imagine having real QB depth for a change lol? I am not convinced the cap space is there, in fact I would say its not available. If we want to sign our guys and lock up others, the cap space is not there at all, especially if you need to allocate upwards of 10M for a QB which is what the dollars for Fitz will be. JJ and Tru eat up about 25M. Barron and McLeod will cost at least 5M each, that pushes you to 30M. Hayes is probably worth 5 and these are just the big ones. So we are at 35M. You also need to factor in Ogletree and Brockers potentially. Austin is coming up and it may make sense to extend Donald sooner than later also. Im not comfortable throwing big dollars at any player unless they have been wearing horns for a few years.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
:coach::bow:(y)

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I honestly cant understand the fascination with Fitzpatrick. Without Chan Gailey, Fitzpatrick has been no better than Shaun Hill. Sure if Fitz was going to bring Gailey, Decker and Brandon Marshall with him, that would be great.
Other thing to realize is that the Jets are considering *upgrading* the position with Colin Freakin Kaepernick. If the Jets are willing to give up on him after the year he just had, that says a lot about the player

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I honestly cant understand the fascination with Fitzpatrick. Without Chan Gailey, Fitzpatrick has been no better than Shaun Hill. Sure if Fitz was going to bring Gailey, Decker and Brandon Marshall with him, that would be great.
Other thing to realize is that the Jets are considering *upgrading* the position with Colin Freakin Kaepernick. If the Jets are willing to give up on him after the year he just had, that says a lot about the player

I don't think anybody sees Fitzpatrick as a long term solution, or even as doing as well as he did last season. In my case at least I see him as an affordable free agent who upgrades the position without requiring a massive trade, and who gives the Rams time to develop somebody else. Remember, even if they stuck with Mannion long term, they had signed Foles to be the bridge QB for one more season. If they draft somebody, that QB also is not going to be ready this season. Fitzpatrick has enough talent that teams couldn't just focus on Gurley - he's shown throughout his career that he can put up TDs in bunches on occasion. He's never had anybody like Gurley to take the pressure off of him, though. He did have Steven Jackson, but wasn't actually given a chance to win the position at the time, since they still had Bulger. He had a few memorable games though, even though he was still quite raw.

My point is, I guess, that out of every option the Rams have being flawed, Fitzpatrick in many ways is the least flawed option if he hits free agency.