Pro Ready...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
I didn't watch either of these two quarterbacks until we traded up into the first pick, honestly, and I'll be happy with either one... but Goff just seems like something special. This is my favorite game tape of his so far:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZVr50uEtHs

The play at 9:13... wow. This was against Arizona State, too, and not Northwest Central Blue Mountain Valley University. :D

Great clip. Thanks for posting. Goff was under siege the entire time and never flinched. He also beats the blitz every single time. His receivers are good but in no way is he surrounded by superior talent. Goff is a winner. It's plain as day. And I'm so excited that he'll be leading our team for the next 15 years.

How many 1-AA players get drafted each year?
It's not comparable.
Doesn't mean NFL caliber players don't go thru 1-AA, just needs to be a special player to do so.
Wentz in my opinion is that type of player
You still didn't answer the question. How many FBS players never make a NFL roster?

My post is crap huh?

Or are you upset that I didnt give mention to the Golden Gophers?

Welcome to the board, way to make an impact!
Yeah when you make comments like "Its big boy football being played in big boy conferences. Every day, every week."

Cal's record over the last 4 years was 17-32. Just because they are in the PAC12 doesn't mean they are competing. Not every team in any conference at any level is "Top Notch" so just because they played in the FBS didn't mean they were competing in the FBS. One winning season at 8-5. I have an issue with FBS anyway in that they don't have a playoff in place. Anyone thinking the current 4 team fiasco they call a playoff in the FBS is a playoff is a joke but that's another debate for a different time. Hey Goff may turn out to be the pick and be good but labeling him one thing just because he played for Cal in the FBS with Cal's losing record and then bashing FCS ball and Carson because he played in the FCS does make your post wrong.

This is not how we converse with each other here. Deal constructively with the content of another member's post that you disagree with but don't make it personal.
Fair enough the first comment was wrong but I stand by the second one. Nothing wrong with asking a poster how many FCS football games they have watched. If one is going to knock the level of competition they should at least have watched it. I doubt he's seen one game of FCS ball.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
How many FCS (I-AA) games have you watched? Your comments show you don't know nearly as much as you think.
How many defenders Wentz played against will be drafted this weekend. How many that Goff played against will?

…..

Legend
At this point...I'm not even sure what to say lol ....think I'll just move along to another topic.

Cheer up @Bisonbacker .....its a great time to be a Ram Fan!

baconandbread

Super Secret Starting DT
How many defenders Wentz played against will be drafted this weekend. How many that Goff played against will?

Kind of goes both ways...how many team mates (receivers/oline etc) of Goff's will be drafted this weekend? I saw a quote (think it was Flacco actually) that said you can only evaluate based on the situation you are in.

Clearly no way to know the answer to that. I do know Wentz practiced everyday against Marcus Williams current starter (cornerback) with the Jets. Again what difference does it make? Cal's win loss record one would think would be better if Goff was so good. I realize it's a team game yes but if he's this end all be all clearly better QB it's a fair question. Not every team they played every year even if FBS was top tier. Why did they not win those games? Even with a less than stellar defense their competition wasn't all top notch. What I'm saying is you can't have it both ways and say he played FBS talent yet ignore the fact he wasn't a winner in college.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Kind of goes both ways...how many team mates (receivers/oline etc) of Goff's will be drafted this weekend? I saw a quote (think it was Flacco actually) that said you can only evaluate based on the situation you are in.
I can think of one other player on Cal getting drafted, Lawler, and that's it.

At this point...I'm not even sure what to say lol ....think I'll just move along to another topic.

Cheer up @Bisonbacker .....its a great time to be a Ram Fan!
Apologies for the comment. I'm happy for wherever Carson goes. I hope Goff does well as well wherever he goes. I just take issue with folks who don't watch FCS ball (which is fine I get it's not for everyone especially if you have no dog in the fight) but people shouldn't knock it like they do saying it's DII or this or that without watching it. I get FBS has the highly recruited players but the difference in the level of play outside of the top teams of the power 5 vs. the rest of the FBS and the top tier of FCS isn't as wide a gap as many want to believe it is. But without watching the better FCS teams me just telling you that won't make any difference to you or most who don't follow it. In the end it doesn't matter neither player no matter what they have done to this point has proved anything at the next level. It will be fun to watch as the years unfold. We won't have to wait much longer.
I'm out (y)

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Clearly no way to know the answer to that. I do know Wentz practiced everyday against Marcus Williams current starter (cornerback) with the Jets. Again what difference does it make? Cal's win loss record one would think would be better if Goff was so good. I realize it's a team game yes but if he's this end all be all clearly better QB it's a fair question. Not every team they played every year even if FBS was top tier. Why did they not win those games? Even with a less than stellar defense their competition wasn't all top notch. What I'm saying is you can't have it both ways and say he played FBS talent yet ignore the fact he wasn't a winner in college.

You're trying to have it both ways though and that's where you lose actually. You claim Wentz is better because he won against lesser competition, and yes it is lesser I know 1-AA very well my local niversity was in it for a long time and won many titles only to get their butts kicked in when they played against 1-A comp and when they first moved up to 1-A. And you're criticizing Goff without acknowledging the higher talent level of his competition.

The first thing you need to do is throw the teams win loss record out of the debate, it's a team game win/loss isn't solely a QB stat. Both of these guys are going to be good QBs at the next level and each is going to have to modify his game. They each did things in college that won't cut it in the NFL. We will see who Fisher wants and hopefully we root for whichever is taken.

You're trying to have it both ways though and that's where you lose actually. You claim Wentz is better because he won against lesser competition, and yes it is lesser I know 1-AA very well my local niversity was in it for a long time and won many titles only to get their butts kicked in when they played against 1-A comp and when they first moved up to 1-A. And you're criticizing Goff without acknowledging the higher talent level of his competition.

The first thing you need to do is throw the teams win loss record out of the debate, it's a team game win/loss isn't solely a QB stat. Both of these guys are going to be good QBs at the next level and each is going to have to modify his game. They each did things in college that won't cut it in the NFL. We will see who Fisher wants and hopefully we root for whichever is taken.

First I did say it was a team game. You need to reread my comment. As to the having it both ways I will. Look at NDSU's record over the last 10 FBS games we've played. All on the road with 22 less shollies. 7-3. My point being the top level of FCS and the disparity some want to make it out to be isn't as wide as many are trying to make it. Yes NDSU has some cupcakes for the FCS level of play but so does Cal at the FBS level. Not every FBS team the play is top tier talent regardless if they have the FBS label. If that label is going to be used as a knock on Wentz then it's a fair question for Goff and Cal.

I hope they both have stellar careers (Wentz's being better) no matter where he plays :cheers:

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You still didn't answer the question. How many FBS players never make a NFL roster?
Answer what question?
I get it, you're a fan of NDSU and you're taking it as an affront that they aren't getting the credit. They are the premier team in the league and there is a lot to be proud of. They are the Youngstown state of the current era.
But the talent level in the Div is just not as good or as deep as 1a
Its just not arguable

baconandbread

Super Secret Starting DT
And that's a negative for Goff? You're sure making it out to be.

I'm not at all...BOTH quarterbacks have flaws that need to be worked out at the next level. Just pointing out that while Goff's competition is slightly better, his teammates skills are also more developed.

Answer what question?
I get it, you're a fan of NDSU and you're taking it as an affront that they aren't getting the credit. They are the premier team in the league and there is a lot to be proud of. They are the Youngstown state of the current era.
But the talent level in the Div is just not as good or as deep as 1a
Its just not arguable

Not arguing that at all I agree the depth at 1A is much more, you're going to get that with 22 more schollies. You also are going to or should get the higher caliber players based on young men wanting to be recruited to the most prestigious schools. But you apparently don't like to admit that the difference between 1A and 1AA isn't as wide as some want to make it out to be. If you are going to compare Alabama to one of the lowest ranked teams in 1AA then yes it's as wide as the Grand Canyon. But the top level of 1AA if they were to be given another 22 scholarships to compete the win loss records between the two divisions wouldn't be what it is today. It's all good debate but you have to take the blinders off to recognize it.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
As far as "pro ready", that's a misnomer. It doesn't matter whether the guy played for Florida St., Alabama or McNeese St., as quarterbacks go (and most other non kicking positions), very, very few are "pro ready". If Peyton Manning was "pro ready" when he came into the league, he wouldn't have thrown 28 interceptions his rookie season and had a 71.2 QBR.

Concerning the competition of North Dakota St., simply playing an FBS school and beating them doesn't make the competition level even. Not that it matters that much anyway. The best college team with the best college QB would have a rough time against the worst NFL team. Same goes for those FBS schools who schedule N.Dakota St. on their card.

The FBS schools N.Dakota St. beat had a collective record of 19-51 in the seasons they played each other. Only 1 finished with a winning record (K State 8-5 in 2013). So I don't put much stock in that.