Preseason Week 2 Post Game/Observations

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RAMpage28

Hall of Fame
Would like to get some reactions going in a definite spot instead of piling on in the game thread.

This is a game I'm definitely watch again as I had stream trouble, but there's some obvious things to point out.

The first string offense looked great

Kupp looks like he could be and extremely reliable chain mover. He's a taller version of all these slot guys you see in the league like Cole Beasley, Edelman, Amendola, etc.

Gerald Everett moves like a running back with the ball, which is insanely impressive for his size.

I liked what I saw out of most of the receivers, including Mike Thomas, before he got knocked out. Shame about that.

Mannion didn't step too far out his frame. He managed well and got the win in the end on a great adjustment by Reynolds. He probably should have seen Travis Wilson wide open, but I won't complain.

Defensively, I would like to re-watch to get a better gauge of some guys, but there were some good splash plays out there.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
We're gonna win 10+ games this year. I said I wouldn't go full homer until I saw this team in the preseason, but I am loving everything I'm seeing. Defense will be just fine. We barely had any of our impact players on the field today. The offense looks like a completely different unit with McVay, the off-season additions, and Watkins.

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
Same I am most definitely going to rewatch the game when I get back home. I am in soon to be Raider territory this weekend and I definitely made it known I am a Rams fan in the bar when Reynolds made that last minute TD from Mannion. But i am seeing improvement all around.

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
The biggest thing I noticed was the 3rd down conversions by the O. No drive killing drops and no catching it 2 yards shy of a 1st.
O penalties have been reduced for 2 of 2 games, is this a trend?
Gurley ran hard, it appears he has confidence in his OL or at least the left side of it.
Goff looks comfortable which results in pin point accuracy, dude was droppin dimes.
The D has some depth at all 3 levels.
Improved tackling, I thought McVay was an O coach.

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
We're gonna win 10+ games this year. I said I wouldn't go full homer until I saw this team in the preseason, but I am loving everything I'm seeing. Defense will be just fine. We barely had any of our impact players on the field today. The offense looks like a completely different unit with McVay, the off-season additions, and Watkins.

I'm stickin with 12-4, although its getting hard to see which 4 could be losses.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I have been watch Clips, Because I missed the 1st Half! But the O-Line looks really good, just between wk.1 and Wk.2 of pre-season, the Growth, WOW!!! I mean :wow:!!!!

And Kupp Talk about $$$$$$! He's going to be FANTASTIC!! He's playing like he's been in the League 4 years!!
Everett looks really good too!!
And Wade Phillps has the Magic Touch!!
This^^^^ is just for starters!!

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
Refs still suck and can still kiss my ass.

-Flagging Joyner for hitting "defenseless" receiver shoulder to shoulder.
-Not flagging defender for laying out an actual defenseless receiver(Cooper).
-Not flagging defender for leading with crown on helmet to helmet hit that knocked out Thomas(most bullshit missed call I have seen in a while).

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Mike Thomas got knocked the fuck out??? When? My boy was showing me this smart stream box......What happened?

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Mike Thomas got knocked the freak out??? When? My boy was showing me this smart stream box......What happened?

He caught a fourth down pass, broke free up the middle of the defense, spun off a tackle, and then got hit helmet-to-helmet as he was going down. He had a nice game prior to the big hit. But he has plenty of time to recover.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Refs still suck and can still kiss my ass.

-Flagging Joyner for hitting "defenseless" receiver shoulder to shoulder.
-Not flagging defender for laying out an actual defenseless receiver(Cooper).
-Not flagging defender for leading with crown on helmet to helmet hit that knocked out Thomas(most bullcrap missed call I have seen in a while).

And let's not forget the cheap shot on Carlos Thompson that wasn't called.

WestCoastRam

Legend
Goff did great, beyond what I expected, but he's holding the ball too long.

That being said, I was worried he was locking onto his 1st read from camp reports but he seemed to do a decent job going through reads tonight.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Goff did great, beyond what I expected, but he's holding the ball too long.

That being said, I was worried he was locking onto his 1st read from camp reports but he seemed to do a decent job going through reads tonight.

The blocking was there tonight. I'm good with him holding the ball if we're giving him time. No reason to rush throws if the OL is doing its job.

Obviously, it could be a problem if the OL has issues in the future, but I expect Goff would adjust. He was moving nicely in the pocket too today. We also got away with at least a couple blatant holds.

jjab360

Legend
OL pass protection has been very solid. Going from GRob to Whitworth was by far the biggest upgrade at any position in the entire league and it's made a massive difference so far.

And if you pay close attention you'll see that Havenstein has been mirroring Whitworth's footwork and hand usage on the other side, he's back to rookie form and then some. The rest of the OL has been solid, Jamon is a question mark but we'll see.

Kupp is an absolute 3rd down machine as advertised. Sammy displayed some explosiveness but you can tell he's not completely comfortable yet, he'll get there. Woods will be a reliable 3rd option. Everett is a YAC machine as advertised.

I mean I don't know what else to say here, night and difference between what we saw last year and this year so far. Goff looks like a veteran back there because we've given him the supporting staff to make him look like a star. Hats off to McVay and Snead for a perfect offseason on offense come full circle so far.

Wait and see mode on defense, hope we get AD back sooner than later.

I'm getting chills just thinking about what this season could potentially be for us.

jjab360

Legend
I mean 16/20 attacking all areas of the field with a few throwaways and that dime to Watkins that he couldn't come down with. Goff is as accurate as I thought he was leading into the draft and maybe even moreso now with some experience. Camp reports be damned.

WestCoastRam

Legend
The blocking was there tonight. I'm good with him holding the ball if we're giving him time. No reason to rush throws if the OL is doing its job.

Obviously, it could be a problem if the OL has issues in the future, but I expect Goff would adjust. He was moving nicely in the pocket too today. We also got away with at least a couple blatant holds.

I'm all for that too. Brady like with protection would be nice. But the rookie-esque growing pains will probably continue like the Mack sack. Held the ball too long and had an open receiver in front of him. Any objections I have tonight though are quibbles, he looked so much better than I expected.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I mean 16/20 attacking all areas of the field with a few throwaways and that dime to Watkins that he couldn't come down with. Goff is as accurate as I thought he was leading into the draft and maybe even moreso now with some experience. Camp reports be damned.

My recollections for his incomplete passes are:
1. Fade to Watkins - I think Watkins was held (he couldn't get free of the defender)
2. Throwaway on a boot-leg when they took away Higbee and he was about to get sacked
3. Watkins drop on deep ball (but not a bad drop, nice play by defender)
4. Ball thrown before Kupp got his head around

Basically, if you remove the throwaway, he only had one pass that was off-target (first Watkins fade).

WestCoastRam

Legend
Offense was firing well, far more running plays than just the outside zone. Screen game needs work though... lots of work, it seems.

TexasRam

Legend

I never ever go full homer in preseason either but I agree The offense is poised for a 10+ season. The only caveat is the Oline staying healthy. We cannot replace the left side including Sullivan and after reviewing the first team reps tonight they are the difference along with the receiving weapons. Saffold had a dominating game and Sullivan and Wittworth were very solid. Even Brown and Havenstein were serviceable if not in the positive.

Our real issue is Higbee blocking right now. He's bordering Klopenstein territory. I'd make him a pass catcher only. If they make that change and Oline stays healthy we are winning 10+ games.

Strangely our WR depth looks like one of the best in the NFL. We can't lose Kupp but I think we have enough depth that we can lose a few other guys and still score in bunches.

But it's a totally different team if Whitworth, Saffold, Sullivan or Havenstein go down. The scary thing is only one of those has been durable.

rking4441

Rookie
Name
Richard
My biggest takeaway from tonight is that the Rams were executing tonight! Guys knew where they were supposed to be and made the routine catches. Gurley looked good and the evolution of the passing game will only make him better. D looked good and once AD is in the house this team will make some noise! I don't want to get too excited but I really think this team will be in the playoff mix down to the end. Looking like a great year to be a Rams fan, especially after what we have all endured over the last 10+ year.

Go Rams!!!