Predicting Fish/Snead

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

VFerragamo

Cagey Veteran
Leinart, Bradford, Bortles, Leaf, Grossman, Flynn, Weeden, Quinn, Clausen, Ponder, Barkley, Etc

Those all your picks too?

Maybe you should watch these guys actually play instead of listening to Kiper, Miller, McShay.

Thanks for playing the feud PartyKane. Maybe you'd be better off amusing your own badself back at the PostDispatch chatroom...

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
So I have been a stalwart believer that the Rams will move up and get their QB this year. I hope that it's Goff, even though I know they won't move up that high and my expectation has been that they will get into the top 10 at the least. But I decided to put on my Fish hat and try to think from his perspective, and have to admit that I have probably been wrong, that him moving up for a QB is just what I want.

The more I think this through, the more I believe he and Snead are going to try to trade for a young veteran. Craziness right? Well, maybe not. From Fisher's point of view that move gives him a QB who is "good enough" but who also has a long career ahead of him and who will be affordable. I think they will move Philadelphia's round 2 pick to Cincinnati for McCarron and then have the three experienced QBs duke it out for the starting job. Some will predict the Browns to make that move, but I doubt it since even though their coach knows McCarron he is also drafting very high and can pick a much more talented guy to build around.

Meanwhile, this will enable Fish/Snead to not sweat whether a QB falls to them, and also to not have to give up picks to move up for a QB that won't save their jobs. Instead they get a young player who should be fine running a play action attack under Boras and then can use that high pick for an offensive passing game weapon even if they need to move down to get good value. He would also be able to draft defense, which I hope doesn't happen but is very possible since I think 3 QBs and Treadwell will be gone at 15 and the best value will be DE, DT, LB, CB since those positions are well represented in that range.

Note this is not my plan, just an attempt to predict what the Rams will do.

I agree that this sounds more like a Fisher scenario. I hope not. One guy I think they look at is Mettenberger. I didn't like him much in college, but Cossell seems to think highly of him. So, maybe I didn't look hard enough. As I said before, Fisher supposedly liked McCarron a lot. I don't understand why, but maybe he still does. I also don't think AJ really made a strong case for himself with his play this season's end. I'd rather have Glennon. But, I'd really rather have Lynch or Goff or even Cook over any of them because I think some mobility and a threat to run would be a huge asset in this lame offense and they need an answer I stead of someone's sloppy seconds.

I can't imagine a scenario where a QB thrives in this offense, what good is it to move up in the draft for one? Also with the draft history of Fisher and Snead, I suspect they would take the wrong QB.
Only a seasoned QB who would come in and take over the offense, change plays and personnel groupings would succeed. I think only Manning (of 5 years ago) could help. No one else would have the pedigree and cajones to tell Fisher to f. off.

Brees but I don't think the Saints move him. The line was looking good by the end of the year, in pass defense at least. Maybe that can change the fortunes of the offense. If they don't move up for a QB, then they might as,well stick with Mannion. I think he is better than guys like Prescott and Brisset, etc. It's quite the conundrum. Move up and sacrifice the picks and struggle to address other areas of need? Or keep the picks and put another bandaid on the QB spot while addressing TE, WR, MLB, DE. If that magic reclamation guy is out there, a la Alex Smith then that is the likely route.

Moving up just feels like putting a Boxer engine into an Econline van. It just doesn't make sense.

Fish has 1 year to save his job. Would play on par with what we saw from Winston or Mariota last year push this team over the line? I don't think anyone can definitively say yes. It's a big gamble for a guy who's career is likely riding on that bet hitting. Having watched the Fisher era closely, I'm not seeing him go all in.

I hate to say stick with the plan, but I'd prefer to see them play the draft board out. The price for Goff will be too high. Grab the best player at 15. Who knows, Lynch could be there.

I am not convinced that Fisher is playing for his job. When he took this job there was a lot of talk about Pittsburgh and New England and longevity being the best path in Stans mind. I think Fisher gets another three year contract within a year and it wouldn't surprise me if it happened before next season. I don't see a coaching change coming until the Rams are safe and sound in their new stadium. Fisher was hired to manage the team through change. Change is still in the future, and operating out of substandard conditions for the next three years counts as an unstable situation.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I agree that this sounds more like a Fisher scenario. I hope not. One guy I think they look at is Mettenberger. I didn't like him much in college, but Cossell seems to think highly of him. So, maybe I didn't look hard enough. As I said before, Fisher supposedly liked McCarron a lot. I don't understand why, but maybe he still does. I also don't think AJ really made a strong case for himself with his play this season's end. I'd rather have Glennon. But, I'd really rather have Lynch or Goff or even Cook over any of them because I think some mobility and a threat to run would be a huge asset in this lame offense and they need an answer I stead of someone's sloppy seconds.

I'm with you on Mettenberger. Your gut is right on him imo.

jap

Legend
The Horns ought to be wrapping up their roster evaluation soon, if they haven't finished already. They need to identify their core players and the ones they are willing to part with. I would prefer that they get the passing coordinator and any other QB-related coaches (OC included) aboard the U.S.S. Horns so they can help with QB evaluations. (I still am uncomfortable with Rob Boras as the offensive ramrod.)

I have been pushing the veteran QB option if only to take immediate advantage of our defensive and special teams prowess. If the Horns want to draft a QB, they need one who can mature fairly quickly. Waiting for the average rookie QB to grow up professionally might age our D prematurely. It really, really helps having a super stud like TGII in the backfield to take a lot of pressure off our QB's.

We need to stop screwing around and snare a #1 WR type. We need to balance TGII's production with a decent passing game.

2016 ought to be a Super Bowl or bust type of of year.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Leinart, Bradford, Bortles, Leaf, Grossman, Flynn, Weeden, Quinn, Clausen, Ponder, Barkley, Etc

Those all your picks too?

Maybe you should watch these guys actually play instead of listening to Kiper, Miller, McShay.

Jrry and I have had our share of disagreements on players over the years but he is the most thorough evaluator I've come across on boards, or in person , right next to Ramzee from RRF. You make a lot of negative assumptions here about a guy you know nothing about. Being a new guy it would be more prudent to feel things out before just thinking you know who we all really are here. Right now you are just rubbing people the wrong way, and that is not what ROD is about. This is a moderated board. They do enforce their rules, unlike most. It is more enjoyable to just get along and be part of the discussion.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
The Horns ought to be wrapping up their roster evaluation soon, if they haven't finished already. They need to identify their core players and the ones they are willing to part with. I would prefer that they get the passing coordinator and any other QB-related coaches (OC included) aboard the U.S.S. Horns so they can help with QB evaluations. (I still am uncomfortable with Rob Boras as the offensive ramrod.)

I have been pushing the veteran QB option if only to take immediate advantage of our defensive and special teams prowess. If the Horns want to draft a QB, they need one who can mature fairly quickly. Waiting for the average rookie QB to grow up professionally might age our D prematurely. It really, really helps having a super stud like TGII in the backfield to take a lot of pressure off our QB's.

We need to stop screwing around and snare a #1 WR type. We need to balance TGII's production with a decent passing game.

2016 ought to be a Super Bowl or bust type of of year.

While I agree with you, I also have to wonder if that guy exists right now. The FA QB market is slim pickings this year.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Jrry and I have had our share of disagreements on players over the years but he is the most thorough evaluator I've come across on boards, or in person , right next to Ramzee from RRF. You make a lot of negative assumptions here about a guy you know nothing about. Being a new guy it would be more prudent to feel things out before just thinking you know who we all really are here. Right now you are just rubbing people the wrong way, and that is not what ROD is about. This is a moderated board. They do enforce their rules, unlike most. It is more enjoyable to just get along and be part of the discussion.

That was very kind of you, Elm. I respect all the work you put in as well. :)

PartyKane

UDFA
Name
Alex Maldonado

Thorough evaluation on Chase Daniel, Cook, Wentz most people will have those same evaluations. I hope each of them has a great career don't get me wrong, it's just my assumption they won't.

But let's agree to disagree

Didn't know I was causing problems

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Thorough evaluation on Chase Daniel, Cook, Wentz most people will have those same evaluations. I hope each of them has a great career don't get me wrong, it's just my assumption they won't.

But let's agree to disagree

Didn't know I was causing problems

A few people here record games and watch them just to see certain guys, they also watch the actual games that get saved on YouTube. They have studied play e RSVP on their own. Jrry is probably the most extensive at it on here. Then you get guys that rely solely on write ups, and others do a little of each. I am just saying don't assume we are all the middle group. It's just best to discuss as if people did the homework. In time you will realize who does what. I was on RRF with Jrry and for the record he never liked Gabbert, or several of those other players you suggested.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
I have to be honest QB is a position that hasn't excited me at all this year in the draftees - I'm intrigued by Brandon Daughty, I think he could be an interesting pickup, but...

I've said it on a number of other threads, I don't think the Rams are the best landing spot for QBs at the moment, QB development is non-existent (viewing from the outside) I'm also hoping that they brainwash Nick Foles and get him back to being starter material again. I'm still holding out hope on Mannion though, he seems to be as good as what's knocking around on the draft boards, he ran a pro style offence and has the physical tools - if he's not up to scratch then throw him in an intensive QB programme now!

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
I don't see Rams drafting a QB early when they haven't yet seen what they have in Manion and have another year to pay Foles. What a stupid move that was, signing him for another year before they even knew what he could do.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
I don't see Rams drafting a QB early when they haven't yet seen what they have in Manion and have another year to pay Foles. What a stupid move that was, signing him for another year before they even knew what he could do.

Yeh - still scratching my head on that contract extension! I hope there was a caveat in there about playing time etc....

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
There was a video on the Rams site of an interview of Snead in connection with the relocation, and Snead was pretty adamant that we had to get the QB situation fixed and stable. He pointed out that we've had 6 different starters in the last 3 years, so I think he understands the urgency of getting the problem fixed.

Orchid

Starter
Name
Obert
The more I think this through, the more I believe he and Snead are going to try to trade for a young veteran. Craziness right? Well, maybe not. From Fisher's point of view that move gives him a QB who is "good enough" but who also has a long career ahead of him and who will be affordable. I think they will move Philadelphia's round 2 pick to Cincinnati for McCarron and then have the three experienced QBs duke it out for the starting job. Some will predict the Browns to make that move, but I doubt it since even though their coach knows McCarron he is also drafting very high and can pick a much more talented guy to build around.

I fully believe Fisher will do something like this. I do not think there is anybody out there that they see as worth one this year's second. I see him trading a conditional 4th rounder next year that can convert to a 3rd based on snaps plus some type of productivity. I also think that they will target someone like Mike Glennon from Tampa Bay. that has starter experience, decent ball security and has functioned in a run first scheme

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
There was a video on the Rams site of an interview of Snead in connection with the relocation, and Snead was pretty adamant that we had to get the QB situation fixed and stable. He pointed out that we've had 6 different starters in the last 3 years, so I think he understands the urgency of getting the problem fixed.

Yeah, I know they realize it is a problem now that they have failed to win more than 7 games in four seasons due to failure at that position. Problem is do they address it the right way in the draft, do they ignore the position, or do they look for a compromise by trading for a QB they think is good enough.

I'm praying it's the draft, that they will move way up and take Goff. But yeah one could argue do they have any idea which QB is worth taking? Or one could also argue that even if they do select the right QB will it take 5 years for him to develop under this staff?

PARAM

Hall of Fame
Is McCarron a career backup? Good college performance and pedigree. Looked good in relief of Dalton, then in 3 starts. Over matched in the postseason rain game but we could do a lot worse. No guarantees on anybody not yet in the NFL.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Is McCarron a career backup? Good college performance and pedigree. Looked good in relief of Dalton, then in 3 starts. Over matched in the postseason rain game but we could do a lot worse. No guarantees on anybody not yet in the NFL.

I watched both games against Pittsburgh and the game against Denver. Didn't come away seeing him as starter material.(at least not quality starter material)

PARAM

Hall of Fame
I watched both games against Pittsburgh and the game against Denver. Didn't come away seeing him as starter material.(at least not quality starter material)

I thought he played well. But we have two different sets of eyes. Let's put it this way.....for a guy who came off the bench to see his first NFL action, he played extremely well. What could he do with more reps? I don't know. But he looked better than anything we rolled out there by far IMHO. We don't know if there's any interest in him what so ever by the Rams. Maybe they want to draft somebody. Maybe they think Mannion might develop. Who knows? In any event, if he became a Ram, I wouldn't be pissed.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I thought he played well. But we have two different sets of eyes. Let's put it this way.....for a guy who came off the bench to see his first NFL action, he played extremely well. What could he do with more reps? I don't know. But he looked better than anything we rolled out there by far IMHO. We don't know if there's any interest in him what so ever by the Rams. Maybe they want to draft somebody. Maybe they think Mannion might develop. Who knows? In any event, if he became a Ram, I wouldn't be pissed.

Disagree. Looked just like what we trotted out. Limited player. Difference is that McCarron has one of the best supporting casts in football.