Please School Me

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Maybe...But you are assuming that Goff will need as much McVay input as last year.
Yes...I do....

I think McVay tried to win our last game with Goff....they were trying to take Gurley away...specifically his pass catching...I didn't see the same accuracy all year in that one....Playoff games are when DC's are at their best with game plans...and scouting....our offense didn't handle it well...Reminded me of Minnesota...and the Jags. Guys weren't WIDE open...and it showed.
Goff had a history of improving every year at Cal, so why not with the Rams?
Really? College to pros....Some teams that saw Cal...in his 3 years would say...he was the same.
If he can improve his progressions AND we utilize the TE's like McVay did in Washington, much of the film work done by MDC's will be cuck-blocked.
Improve progressions... I agree...
Utilization of the TE's like Washington....hmmmmm....Reed is special...injury prone but special talent...who do we have like him? That's the huge if....
I also think that Cooks is better at catching the ball than Watkins,
You too?!?!? Besides yardage after the catch, what does Cooks do as good or BETTER than Sammy Watkins? I'd just like an answer.....No one has said anything but that he's just as fast...Being just as fast...but smaller isn't some big WINNER in my book.

I still say, Sammy was a tough customer in the redzone....best hands on team....and a monster in one on one matchups....I have to SEE Cooks do some of these things to even THINK he's in Watkins league.
This McVay in the ear thing is way over blown. Any body think Wentz didn't get the same benefit from his very wise and innovative head coach. It's just the goofy California kid stereo typing.
Overblown....those are your words, huh? What does Wentz have to do with any of this? Seriously....we talk about Goff....expectations....we talk about what we KNOW Goff utilized....yet Wentz is thrown in as a comparison to..to...DILUTE the topic....for what? I get it....EVERYONE KNOWS I WANTED WENTZ....I'm not comparing him....I'm not....you are....for what? One was in the conversation of league MVP....the other lost a HOME PLAYOFF GAME....totally different players at this point...One IS a STAR.....the other, people wanna see if he can ADAPT to the type of scouting done on our offense and still remain productive.

Come with some facts...something...anything to support an argument...a discussion...a debate....something to back up your facts....stereotype? Ok...prove it....Wentz got the same benefit? Prove that too...

I never said he was goofy....Cali kid.....I said other things....but not now....I stated why I think he could regress....HE could....it happens a lot...you just wanted to attack anything I wrote...with dribble...

I'll probably get put on ROD probation....AGAIN....LOL....yall worse than the LAPD/Sherriff...LOL

PS....I just learned an old friend just past away last night....Vierra........wow....just saw him last December too...had joined a motor cycle club....laughed about that....welp....lifes too short to be bitching about football with majrleaged.....what the hell does that mean anyway...if you don't mind me asking? Oh...I'll respond tomorrow...if I hang in here today...I'll probably cuss out Ole School or Jrry.....

Yeah, i'm glad the whole "Sun rises in the West"
Dude....every bad play....every fuck up....much like they did with Terry Bradshaw....that will always be in the back of my mind....sorry....why do you think he needed McVay to send in a play at the 18 sec. mark? Cause he's so...so...bright??

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Anyone else have the idea that maybe the reason this offense works so well is because it’s NOT complicated? Our players seem smart but they are atheletes, not brain surgeons.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Enough of the 15 second thing. Does anyone truly believe that hasn’t been done by virtually every coach especially with young QBs in a new system?
No...I don't....in this day and age....it would have been reported....did Cousins need it? anyone in the Redskins while McVay and Gruden were there? Any proof that virtually every coach with young QB did this?

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
No...I don't....in this day and age....it would have been reported....did Cousins need it? anyone in the Redskins while McVay and Gruden were there? Any proof that virtually every coach with young QB did this?
Ah bullshit. Sports writers need stories. If they wrote about everyone else needing it as a young QB, then where’s the story? You don’t like Goff. We fucking get it already. But don’t act like you know if someone was in Cousin’s or Wentz’s ear. You don’t. It’s just that simple.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Defenses always adjust. But if the offensive talent is that good it won't matter. What's that old saying? Its less about X's and O's and more about Jim's and Joe's. The Rams have some pretty good Jim's and Joe's otherwise known as Todd, Jared, Cooper, Robert and Brandin. (y)

Tano

Legend
You too?!?!? Besides yardage after the catch, what does Cooks do as good or BETTER than Sammy Watkins? I'd just like an answer.....No one has said anything but that he's just as fast...Being just as fast...but smaller isn't some big WINNER in my book.

The one thing that ticked me off about Watkins was that he gave up on a lot of pass plays that I felt he would have gotten to if he didn't quit halfway thru the pass.

The other thing that I was down on Watkins is that he didn't adjust well to the flight of the ball other than the one pass in the SF game early last season. Every other pass he waited on the pass to come to him.

The last thing that annoyed me with Watkins is that he sometimes did not know where to line up or what route to take. But I am going to give him the benefit of the doubt that coming late to camp with a completely different system did impact him quite a bit.

The first two weaknesses are both things that I think Cooks is better at. And the last one Cooks will have the benefit of a full offseason.

Although those are areas that Cooks is better, Watkins is better at catching the balls that do "come" to him. And he is bigger and stronger than Cooks.

I feel it is a wash between their strengths and weaknesses. There will be plays that Watkins makes that Cooks can't make and vice versa.

But the full offseason will make a huge difference. I see the Rams offense being even better this season due to that reason and the fact that Goff and his other receivers will be in the second season in the system.

I am really looking forward to this season.

13-3 people 13-3

Last edited:

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
Overblown....those are your words, huh? What does Wentz have to do with any of this? Seriously....we talk about Goff....expectations....we talk about what we KNOW Goff utilized....yet Wentz is thrown in as a comparison to..to...DILUTE the topic....for what? I get it....EVERYONE KNOWS I WANTED WENTZ....I'm not comparing him....I'm not....you are....for what? One was in the conversation of league MVP....the other lost a HOME PLAYOFF GAME....totally different players at this point...One IS a STAR.....the other, people wanna see if he can ADAPT to the type of scouting done on our offense and still remain productive.

It is a fact that with that same offense that everyone said relied on Wentz and that he was an MVP candidate, won the SB without him. So was he really an MVP.....Really?
So anyway, I only used Wentz as an example. I am sure all young QBs these days get this same type of help. That is also a fact stated by Shanahan when asked by a reporter. The part that is over blown is that Goff looked good only because of this help and that he couldn't possibly be any good really, not as good as Wentz. Wentz did it all on his own. The best OLine in the NFL, one of the best head coaches and QB gurus couldn't have made any difference, but Goff is a chump, a game manager. That is what is over blown.
Goff was not the problem in the Playoff game. Special teams and defense and every receiver not named woods. Oh and who dropped the TD in the end zone???? Watkins. Yeaaaahhh.
So I included a few facts.

Sincerely, condolences to you about your friend.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I don't believe in this concept of figuring them out and studying tape will be the end. How do you explain QBs like Brady, Roethlisberger, Peyton, Brees, etc. Plenty of tape on those guys, yet they don't suck!

I think rookie QBs can have flaws that are exploitable. Garapolo is a perfect example. He only played abounding 6 games. Some were meaningless too. So this off-season Coaches will find his flaws. However, players that are good heading toward great make adjustments and work on weaknesses, especially if they have good coaching. I am not worried about Goff.

Scheme trends can be dissected and picked apart. Fisher was the first coach to really defeat the read option. That is why we see trends every 8 years or so.

TexasRam

Legend
This is why they play the games.

Plots, predictions, doubters, underdogs.

And Champions that rise up and prove the Haters wrong.

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
Anyone else have the idea that maybe the reason this offense works so well is because it’s NOT complicated? Our players seem smart but they are atheletes, not brain surgeons.
Right, not complicated in its basic plays. The key imo is being unpredictable on a play by play basis with execution sufficient to deceive or freeze the D even if just momentarily. Seems like this comes from factors such as running multiple plays from the same formation, using tree routes interchangeably for all receivers, and maybe from a small but continuing stream of new creative plays.

I also think the Rams will benefit from several new wrinkles this year: Cooks will likely run a bigger set of routes than Sammy was able to do. Gurley should also run more actual receiver routes, not just sit at the first down line. The TEs need to make plays.

Goff will also be ready for more responsibility in changing plays and in reading his progressions. Seems to me Goff was being coached to follow preferred progressions and avoid turnovers, would like to see him empowered to open it up a little more.

FaulkSF

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
FaulkSF
I doubt it. The offense is designed to take advantage of the defense:

1) if against a zone draw your #1 into double coverage and let your other receivers find the soft spot.

2) Many of the plays have a receiver option. If the high safety sits in the middle cut away from him toward the sidelines.

3) Hurry up designed to keep teams in their base defense. McVay and co has enough tape to know where and who to target.

Does anyone wonder how Kupp led all receivers with amount of average separation? He's great at reading defenses and McVay's great at designing plays to get the WRs open.

TexasRam

Legend
In Goff’s first full season he surpassed the greatest seasons of many current Hall of Famers including Troy Aikman, Terry Bradshaw and others.

Goff first full season also statistically trumped any season Tom Brady had until Tommy’s 6th season in the NFL.

Let that sink in for a minute.

Steve808

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
It's in the quiet time after FA and the Draft and before OTA's...So lets talk about the common statements by some talking-heads, about how teams will figure out Jared Goff and the offensive scheme...

They (the talking-heads) will lean into one another and agree..."ah yes, the tape. It will be studied by defensive coaches and the Boy Genius McVay and his underling Jared Goff will be figured out." The talking heads will gravely say "ah yes, Goff will revert to the mean and the offense will not be as good."

I don't get this in the Ram's case. McVay will have totally new plays in the play action scheme, because he is an innovator. He may utilize his TE's more than last year. Gurley is Gurley....dude will get open in the pass game because our WR's are absolutely legit and will require attention. Goff will find the open man when they try to load up on Gurley.

So what am I not getting? Will Goff and McVay's offense take a step back this year because of "the tape?"

In 1999, the talking heads said in the NFL, it takes 3 tapes of a QB to figure out his tendencies. Thus the whiners would figure out Kurt Warner and the whiners would take apart the Rams. The Rams won the game 42 - 20 and went on to win the Super Bowl.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
My only worry is that the offensive line is due to suffer losses and the rookies won’t be able to perform to the level of last year’s veterans. Consider Dallas’s struggles with the loss of two important linemen. O-Line success and cohesion is a fragile thing. Believe me when I say, losing one of our starting five to injury would slow the progress we expect. Losing two would significantly decrease production. Lose three and this offense won’t be recognizable and even the skill position players will be called into question (much like Warner, Bettis, and Everett in years past and Gurley in 2016, Dak, Derek, and Eli last year) by the short sighted, uninformed media.

I share that concern. But honestly the OL is that position where injuries will straight up sink you. Most teams can't lose their LT like the Eagles did and still win a Super Bowl. And you just never know.

So that's why I said going into this draft my fear was the Rams going OT in round 3, but if they did I'd understand it. They did, and I do lol. At this point the hope is Noteboom is a quick learner, got my fingers crossed there.

Either way, though, the Rams definitely upgraded their depth at Center. To my eye at least.

Force16X

anti pedestrian
Rams On Demand Sponsor
And apparently Watkins was supposed to be a keeper...So whats the difference?
you sounded very down on cooks being / becoming a #1 receiver. his past 3 years beg to differ. not sure why you believe he wont continue playing at a high level.
watkins needed to make a big score on his contract. Rams couldnt keep up, so he leaves. cap casualty sadly enough. other than that, he's probably still a Ram if the money was there to spend.
Cooks could very well walk after his contract is over. at some point one would hope that spending draft picks on rentals isnt the best way to keep continuity on offense