Please School Me

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

leoram

LA/St Louis/LA fan
I have ZERO concern that McVay will fail to adapt as Martz did. I highly doubt Goff will regress with more experience and coaching. I believe we have a plethora of weapons with very good depth so the passing game will evolve just fine.

My only worry is that the offensive line is due to suffer losses and the rookies won’t be able to perform to the level of last year’s veterans. Consider Dallas’s struggles with the loss of two important linemen. O-Line success and cohesion is a fragile thing. Believe me when I say, losing one of our starting five to injury would slow the progress we expect. Losing two would significantly decrease production. Lose three and this offense won’t be recognizable and even the skill position players will be called into question (much like Warner, Bettis, and Everett in years past and Gurley in 2016, Dak, Derek, and Eli last year) by the short sighted, uninformed media.

I’m not predicting gloom and doom. The line could stay intact again and this team could run roughshod over the NFL. I’m simply stating that OLine health is the single most unpredictable and significant factor for the Rams of 2018.

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg
I have ZERO concern that McVay will fail to adapt as Martz did. I highly doubt Goff will regress with more experience and coaching. I believe we have a plethora of weapons with very good depth so the passing game will evolve just fine.

My only worry is that the offensive line is due to suffer losses and the rookies won’t be able to perform to the level of last year’s veterans. Consider Dallas’s struggles with the loss of two important linemen. O-Line success and cohesion is a fragile thing. Believe me when I say, losing one of our starting five to injury would slow the progress we expect. Losing two would significantly decrease production. Lose three and this offense won’t be recognizable and even the skill position players will be called into question (much like Warner, Bettis, and Everett in years past and Gurley in 2016, Dak, Derek, and Eli last year) by the short sighted, uninformed media.

I’m not predicting gloom and doom. The line could stay intact again and this team could run roughshod over the NFL. I’m simply stating that OLine health is the single most unpredictable and significant factor for the Rams of 2018.

I would guess that clearly the organization was congruent in your analogy and drafted accordingly to perhaps soften the blow if/when one of thebig boys goes down

tempests

Hall of Fame
They'll look at what teams were successful in slowing down the Rams last year (Minnesota, Atlanta).

Gurley was held to under 20 receiving yards four times last year, the Rams went 1-3 in those games and averaged 14 PPG. If a defense can neutralize Gurley as a receiver, Rams offense is nowhere near as effective.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

I understand your concern about the Oline, but we have Austin Blythe. He is not a rookie, and filled in very well at Center last year when Sully went down in games. I believe that he can also play guard. I am excited about Bryan Allen and think the guy will be really good as a replacement for Sully in coming years, but would hesitate in having to rely on him too soon. Noteboom is going to be a good NFL tackle, but again, hate to rely on him too soon in real games (unless the game is already won and it's junk time). Saffold has performed at a good level at LT in years past, but he seemed injury prone after doing it for a while, but would work for a few games. We could survive if we had to for older players to recover from minor injuries, I think.

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
And apparently Watkins was supposed to be a keeper...So whats the difference?
Steady production. Staying on the field.
And don't forget, there will be games in which our Defense will utterly be destroying our opponents, and turning the ball back over to our Offence!!(y);):yess:
This is a huge reason the offense will be better. No longer will teams be able to run it down our throats. So a lot less of keeping the ball away from the offense and a lot more chances to figure out what the other team is doing to stop us. I do not think you will here as many post game press conferences where we here, the offense just couldn't get a rhythm going.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Great topic....
Teams do adapt....film and scouting is too good...he probably has tendencies that DC's will try to exploit....plus the schedule is tougher....and finally...I heard on the radio....probably that lineman...dude said the main success of McVay and Goff was from waiting until that message in his ear to call a play....the guy on the radio said...something like teams won't go into their main sets until 14 seconds.....and then McVay won't be calling the audible...

Before I get a bunch of chill's....and disagree....these are just some responses to Loyal's question....which says, "Please school me...."....so, since he was so nice to ask....I'm schooling him...

So lets talk about the common statements by some talking-heads, about how teams will figure out Jared Goff and the offensive scheme...
See above....the disguise the defense until after 15 seconds when the radio in his helmet goes dead.....
So what am I not getting? Will Goff and McVay's offense take a step back this year because of "the tape?"
Maybe....and the fact we play a much tougher schedule....teams will be up for a 1st place team now....

majrleaged

Hall of Fame

Correct, but not the reason stated by the talking heads

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
They'll look at what teams were successful in slowing down the Rams last year (Minnesota, Atlanta).

Gurley was held to under 20 receiving yards four times last year, the Rams went 1-3 in those games and averaged 14 PPG. If a defense can neutralize Gurley as a receiver, Rams offense is nowhere near as effective.
This should be a big focus of the off season by the rams. So I am going to assume they will not have this same weakness. Just like the run defense won't be similarly exposed this year.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Great topic....
Teams do adapt....film and scouting is too good...he probably has tendencies that DC's will try to exploit....plus the schedule is tougher....and finally...I heard on the radio....probably that lineman...dude said the main success of McVay and Goff was from waiting until that message in his ear to call a play....the guy on the radio said...something like teams won't go into their main sets until 14 seconds.....and then McVay won't be calling the audible...

Before I get a bunch of chill's....and disagree....these are just some responses to Loyal's question....which says, "Please school me...."....so, since he was so nice to ask....I'm schooling him...

[quote="LACHAMP46']
...disguise the defense until after 15 seconds when the radio in his helmet goes dead.....and the fact we play a much tougher schedule....teams will be up for a 1st place team now
Maybe...But you are assuming that Goff will need as much McVay input as last year. Goff had a history of improving every year at Cal, so why not with the Rams? If he can improve his progressions AND we utilize the TE's like McVay did in Washington, much of the film work done by MDC's will be cuck-blocked. Our defense should give the offense more chances this year. I also think that Cooks is better at catching the ball than Watkins, although not as physically imposing. Thanks for the response, sensei...:cheers:

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
This McVay in the ear thing is way over blown. Any body think Wentz didn't get the same benefit from his very wise and innovative head coach. It's just the goofy California kid stereo typing. Besides, there is nothing to stop the rams from quick snapping the ball when they aren't in the defense they want to get to. They were doing a lot of that at the beginning of the season, and I was disappointed that they stopped using it as much. This kids history is, he gets better every year. No reason he won't this season as well

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Since the blow up about McVay being in Goffs ear during the 15 seconds last year, don't you think McVay will figure out how to counter that? The key is whether Goff can improve in the scheme and "see" things that he didn't last year. I think he can, but we will see.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
This McVay in the ear thing is way over blown. Any body think Wentz didn't get the same benefit from his very wise and innovative head coach. It's just the goofy California kid stereo typing. Besides, there is nothing to stop the rams from quick snapping the ball when they aren't in the defense they want to get to. They were doing a lot of that at the beginning of the season, and I was disappointed that they stopped using it as much. This kids history is, he gets better every year. No reason he won't this season as well
Yeah, i'm glad the whole "Sun rises in the West" narrative is no longer a punchline.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
They had two years of tape from McVay's time in Washington. Everyone knows what his tendencies are. You can look up Gruden's film from his Cincy days and see similarities all over in route design, pretty basic stuff.

What sets McVay apart is how well he coaches up his players and prepares them for the gameplan. So I don't think all that BS is going to mean much. The key was getting another wideout that can ensure Goff won't have his key guy taken away. Lots of options on every route now, so no, teams aren't gonna stop it. Jared should be much more comfortable and experienced this year with another camp.

If you want to look for a reason where the Rams might take a step back, it's the defense. Secondary is loaded, the DL looks good up the middle on the line, but lots of question marks on the edge and off ball at LB. But even with that they're clearly a playoff level team, just comes down to whether this defense will allow them to be an elite team or not.
When I summarize the reason the Rams 2017 season came to an early ending it was not Goff's or Gurley's or McVay offensive performance that was figured out or went into fail mode .....it fell squarely on the defense & its inability to stop the run. We all were aware of this weakness we discussed it every week. I see zero issues with this offense other than the OL reserve situation.

If this newly rebuilt Wade Defense minus Ram veterans Rob Quinn, Alec Ogletree, Trumaine Johnson, Conner Barwin, Tyrunn Walker, Kayvon Webster, Mo Alexander & Cody Davis ....can unite together with Suh, Talib, Peters, Shields, Wilson & Easley along with rookies Franklin, Kiser, Okoronkwo, Joseph, Young, Howard & Scales........Goff will be the least of the opponents worries & game-planning concerns.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
What’s to figure out? McVay’s offense doesn’t have any trick plays, there’s no wild schemes, no actual new things coaches haven’t seen. We run plays with players that can actually complete their assignment and McVay makes sure guys are where they’re supposed to be when they’re supposed to be there and are running correct routes, blocking the play correctly, etc. Another year is only going to improve that.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu

This I think is the only way teams “figure out” our offense. If teams can get to Goff with consistent pressure, as with pretty much all QBs, our offense will suffer. If the O-line holds up, there’s nothing to figure out.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Enough of the 15 second thing. Does anyone truly believe that hasn’t been done by virtually every coach especially with young QBs in a new system? If teams were going to do all this changing up in the last 14 seconds, they would have done it last year as well. It’s honestly horseshit.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Y’know.... @-X- used to contend that Shotty’s offense wasn’t as much the problem as was poor execution by the players. You watch this offense execute and you can’t help but think he was onto something. These guys can play - period.