Pick #57 - Rams select WR Tutu Atwell

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

SeminoleRam

Pro Bowler
Name
PaceRam
Just curious. Does anyone know if Atwell has any major Injury History? If not, Then maybe, I shouldn’t worry so much about his size (Or, Lack Of Size!)!

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
One thing is for sure... McVay wanted more speed out of the receiving group, so he went and got Jackson and Tutu. This will make it easier to make big plays and get downfield quicker and easier... exactly what McVay talked about when he traded Goff. Funny thing is, I thought it was more of a QB problem than a receiver issue.

jap

Legend
Why is everyone comparing Tutu to Tavon? I see him more as a more raw DeSean Jackson II, ... and we have the original mold to help shape his NFL game. However, Tutu definitely needs to seriously muscle up as much as possible without lessening that Warp Nine speed & quickness.

SAK11

Rookie
Tavon was a top 10 pick with Jeff Fisher leading the way. Tutu is a late 2nd and has McVay coaching him up.
The funny thing is if he has a rookie season like Austin, people should be happy. There’s no need to compare them, though, two players drafted at very different spots in very different offenses.
This offense needed a speed threat; they lost that when they traded Cooks. Tutu isn’t Cooks, but he should be able to make some big plays and keep teams worried which will help the offense.
Keep in mind they lost over 1000 receiving yards with Reynolds and Everett leaving, and they didn’t even pass for that many yards last season, either. If Jefferson, Hopkins, or Tutu want a chance in this offense, it’s there for them to take it.
Now about that o-line...

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
FWIW I will always wonder if they were going D'Wayne Eskridge, but the Seahawks drafted Eskridge just one pick before and the fact that Atwell is fast, well, he better be because personally I have not weighed 149lbs since the 8th grade, nothing personal against the kid.

He has great hands, did not drop many balls, but IMO listed at a generous 5'9 165lbs my issues is that Atwell cannot return punts, he's only returned like four, so he will be very limited in what he brings to the table, obviously I would have gone in a different direction, but when Stafford hits him in stride on an 80 yard bomb, I will turn to all my Ram compadres and ask: "You like that?"
1619879537200.png

Last edited:

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Until we get the #1 Pick in the Draft again....
I don't think Snead is interested in drafting first round draft picks.

He would rather use those first-rounders to trade for proven players.

Personally, not being a draftnick, I like the philosophy.

There's nothing more painful than a first-round flop.

A.J. Hicks

Hall of Fame
Name
zoomy
Since Mcvay has gotten here there has been a priority set on drafting guys who previously played QB. Atwell was a high school QB.

I was kind of befuddled by the pick last night. After sleeping on it, I still am.

Atwell has good hands and has shown the ability to make contested catches. I also noticed that he has a few catches where he has to absolutely adjust his eyes/turn his head, locate the ball, and he still comes down with it.

He's also very crafty with his speed. He knows how to use different gears to bait and leverage defenders.

This is all from me just watching a few highlights. . .

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I was kind of befuddled by the pick last night. After sleeping on it, I still am.

Atwell has good hands and has shown the ability to make contested catches. I also noticed that he has a few catches where he has to absolutely adjust his eyes/turn his head, locate the ball, and he still comes down with it.

He's also very crafty with his speed. He knows how to use different gears to bait and leverage defenders.

This is all from me just watching a few highlights. . .

Well, we all slept on it and you illustrate some great points, but for this pick I will continue to be the doubting Thomas until I feel the wounds. Atwell is actually a fine receiver and maybe when he hits the field 165lbs will be his weight as when not playing, big guys get fatter and small guys lose weight always is that way, however, thought the return game was a priority too and IMO, Atwell won't return punts, so that IMO, is disappointing.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Well, we all slept on it and you illustrate some great points, but for this pick I will continue to be the doubting Thomas until I feel the wounds. Atwell is actually a fine receiver and maybe when he hits the field 165lbs will be his weight as when not playing, big guys get fatter and small guys lose weight always is that way, however, thought the return game was a priority too and IMO, Atwell won't return punts, so that IMO, is disappointing.
17 games is a long season and NFL defenders are bigger, stronger, faster, and hit harder. This does not bode well for a 150lb receiver. I wonder how long of a career he could have.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
It sounds to me like this guy was the Rams target. They basically told him they weren’t letting him out of the 2nd round.

When they signed DJax, we all talked about how likely an injury is for him. This is a very similar player - McVay wants to be able to take the roof off and its important enough to the offense that he has 2 such guys on the squad.

As for how likely he is to be blown up - the rules make it harder and harder to get a clean shot on a receiver. In the end, this is a guy that the defense needs to account for, specifically. That’s a good thing.

oldnotdead

Legend
After sleeping on it I'm not so sure they will redshirt Atwell. He brings something to the offense that lost Brandin Cooks. Atwell's sheer speed will take the top off of most secondaries. If they give him some early success, this is an intimidation type of player. The Rams are as deep at WR as I've seen any team. I'm sure he will wait early in the season while he acclimates, but from mid-season on he could become a normal part of the slot rotation.

Sean will use him as he wanted to use Cooks and has been looking for a WR of that type ever since. Jackson is on a one-year deal IMO simply to help Atwell. The bottom line is that McVay wants his 2018 offense back. I think the only difference might be the run blocking scheme. If they draft a FB type of RB today then I look for it to be a power, and inside zone attack which IMO is what it should be.

When this team goes 4 WR sets, the defense will be on their heels before the snap. My only real concern is Havenstein and I can't get how easily the SeaHawks beat on him. Rob is the only real remaining liability on the o-line and he requires TE help. It will be interesting to see if the Rams pull the trigger on him one year early because I don't see him on the team in 2022.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
It sounds to me like this guy was the Rams target. They basically told him they weren’t letting him out of the 2nd round.

When they signed DJax, we all talked about how likely an injury is for him. This is a very similar player - McVay wants to be able to take the roof off and its important enough to the offense that he has 2 such guys on the squad.

As for how likely he is to be blown up - the rules make it harder and harder to get a clean shot on a receiver. In the end, this is a guy that the defense needs to account for, specifically. That’s a good thing.

I didn’t like where The Rams drafted Tutu. Then again so many WR’s were off the board they didn’t want to take a chance on another WR run.
The cool thing is like Mcvay said,he gets to be mentored by one of the best.DJ11 is with The Rams to finish his career strong & to give back.
Les said there are not to many players like him that come around in the draft.Once every couple of years & Mcvay thinks this guy has all the skill sets he was looking for in deep threat.The tracking of the ball is the main thing.

Classic Rams

Hall of Fame
I never predict the draft (despise mocks) but I can predict what the Rams plan to do with him. A lot of this is a given.

Obviously a future pick. But if he can pick things up fast he'll see more snaps.

Even though he hasn't done it a lot in college, (did he return in HS?) they'll try him out in the return game and see what he's got.

He'll be a sponge with DeSean (and other WRs), and is expected to fill in this year for him (injury, rest) and take over in the next few years. No I haven't forgotten Van, who will no doubt see more snaps this year.

The jet sweep will be back a few times a game with him carrying.

He's being called a slot receiver and the Rams will see if he can handle that as well as the X and Y spots.

Blocking... what blocking? They'll teach him... but how effective he'll be at his size remains to be seen. I predict 0 pancakes but would love a highlight.

He's that piece that needs to be accounted for because he can take it the distance any time so... frees up other areas. (really? so obvious) :zany:

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
Live reaction of the pick from Downtown Rams:

"This is the worse pick in the entire draft..."

View: https://youtu.be/rPLC_1eH4DI?t=6639

these kids opinions are as valid as anyone posting on these boards - but no more so. Hosting a podcast or writing a blog does not make you a football mind.

Evaluation from actual football minds seems to be pretty positive for this pick the more I look at it. Some negatives - but not many.