Pick #57 - Rams select WR Tutu Atwell

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
If we were relying on Fisher's Rams to scheme this little guy open and get him touches this would be an awful pick. Thankfully we have real offensive coaching going on here now.

If DJax somehow plays a full season we prob won't see The Tutu in action until 2022.

jap

Legend
Now that he's a RAM, I hope he as well as all of our draftees exceed both expectations as well as their individual potential.

Hope Tutu lights it up like DJax has all these years.

Tutu's classic line after he dusts defensive backs for paydirt, "You just got your lame behind waxed by a guy named, 'Tutu'!!! Aren't you feeling proud, sonny boys?"

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
As a weapon, Atwell is a nifty piece to have. If our other top WR was Brian Quick and we traded up to get him... well, that would be different.

Under this regime, with great coaching and a WR room that has Woods, Kupp, DJax and even Jefferson ahead of him, "2Tu" will learn how to be a pro.. With his speed and the Rams awesome strength and conditioning program, he has a great shot to be a key piece on McVays chessboard.

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
Tutu's classic line after he dusts defensive backs for paydirt, "You just got your lame behind waxed by a guy named, 'Tutu'!!! Aren't you feeling proud, sonny boys?"
A boy named Tutu— but he does have a chip on his shoulder and that’s a good thing. Attitude matters.

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
How short is too short to be a deep threat?

Most are 5'11" or taller, but still Plenty of deep threats at 5'10".

But 5'9" (actually 5'8 and 7/8) is really pushing it.

I know the weight is an issue, but the height is, also.

It was sad to see that late in Tavon's career, he just wasn't a deep threat.

Tutu is clearly a threat after the ball is in his hands-- jet sweeps, slants, crossing patterns, etc. But will NFL defenses need to respect him on deep routes? Does he have enough size to go up for a contested ball? Or is the bomb only going to work if he's wide open? Looks like he tracks the ball well in the air, which is huge. But NFL DB's are gonna stick close by him, he's gonna have to prove he can fight for a jump ball.

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
I wonder if we would've picked Eskridge if the damn Seahawks didn't nab him a pick before us.

Can't say I'm in love with the pick, but as always, trying to trust McVay + Snead here.
I would bet more than a little
money that’s exactly what happened.

Snead admitted that other teams stole and ate our lunch. (By contrast he made a point of saying our second pick at 103 was the guy we really wanted at 88.)

McVay didn’t look or sound happy with what may have been Plan B (or maybe it was Plan Nine from Outer Space.) This suggests a second choice or maybe even a breakdown in the process where the Rams weren’t nimble enough after the Seattle pick to trade or reconsider their course of action.

Or maybe Tutu was the guy they really wanted all along.

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
I would bet more than a little
money that’s exactly what happened.

Snead admitted that other teams stole and ate our lunch. (By contrast he made a point of saying our second pick at 103 was the guy we wanted at 88.)
McVay didn’t look or sound happy with what may have been Plan B (or maybe it was Plan Nine from Outer Space.) This suggests a second choice or maybe even a breakdown in the process where the Rams weren’t nimble enough after the Seattle pick to trade or reconsider their course of action.

Or maybe Tutu was the guy they really wanted all along.
Bumping my own post just to say I may have been wrong, as a poster says Rams called Atwell before the draft to say we might pick him in the second round. If so, this was a considered pick and strategy.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Couple of things I noticed after watching Tutu game film. Guy tracks the ball really well, even switching from looking over one shoulder to the other, looking the ball into his hands. Good hands, puts the ball away. Both aspects of his game that are far better than tavon ever was.

LouisvilleRam

Hall of Fame
I didn’t notice it at the time with all the chaos but if you go look at the rounds 2-3 Game Day Thread both @LouisvilleRam (homer pick) and @Angry Ram both were calling out for TuTu before the pick was announced.

Credit.
I like Tutu but I wanted Rondale Moore the WR from Purdue that went to Arizona at 49. Before the draft the Rams said they basically had no real needs so I think they looked at that #57 pick as a chance to get a new toy for McVay and the offense. When Tutu enters the game the attention he draws is going to open things up so much for Woods,Kupp and Higbee.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I like Tutu but I wanted Rondale Moore the WR from Purdue that went to Arizona at 49. Before the draft the Rams said they basically had no real needs so I think they looked at that #57 pick as a chance to get a new toy for McVay and the offense. When Tutu enters the game the attention he draws is going to open things up so much for Woods,Kupp and Higbee.

the offense the last 2 seasons has been really frustrating to watch. it needs some excitement back.

hopefully djax and tutu can help bring that back.

can't wait.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He will never get that kind of yards after the catch in the NFL. He will go down with one hand on him. He is to small. College there are a lot of bad tacklers. Picture him against the Niners or Seahawks. They don't miss many tackles.
I don't think he breaks many tackles though. You just can't get your hands on him

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
I don't think Snead is interested in drafting first round draft picks.

He would rather use those first-rounders to trade for proven players.

Personally, not being a draftnick, I like the philosophy.

There's nothing more painful than a first-round flop.
I agree. 1st round picks are assest that snead uses to get the best players he can. If Stafford can stay healthy, which is my biggest worry, then the ones he just used will be worth it.

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
A few of us have been pointing out for some time that lack of a deep threat was a serious issue irrespective of the qb. McVay admitted as much in a January press conference. Now he is addressing it. We'll see how DSJ and Atwell work out on the field, but imo this is directionally the right way to go and good news for Stafford and the O.
It has always been important to McVay's scheme. They went out and got Watkins when McVay realized that Tavon wasn't a reliable deep threat. It was always the big question mark when they traded Cooks. They were not able to address it last year. It really limited the offense. So in that regard I am hopeful about this pick. Jackson hasn't been the most reliable health wise for a while. So this kid is going to have to step up this year.

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
Hard to get on board with this pick. This is really a strange pick.

Rams missed JoJo Natson last year. Tutu has to win that PR job. If he can make the first guy miss he can get some nice gainers. All things considered couldn't the Rams make a better pick, trade down with this pick. Would be nice to see him get some snaps this year. He can help wear down the opponent's DBs. Stafford might be able to connect on some bombs with his speed.
Tayvon dances around too much, thinking he can out juke everyone and that is why he never succeeded. All he did was allow defensive help to get there and contain him. Atwell moves more like a WR, catches like a WR. runs routes like a WR. I doubt he will return punts/kicks. He only returned 4 punts in college. SM will scheme him just the way he did DJax in Washington. An NFL nutrition plan and weight training will get his muscle mass up a bit.

A lot to like and dislike about the pick, but I have to trust that they know what they are doing. I mentioned in an earlier post a couple months back about how SM will need and want to vary up his personnel groups for the offense to evolve. Looks to me like is adding pieces that will allow him to do that. That is what I am taking out of all of this.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
I am excited to see how high Chad Ochocinco is on him. There is such nuance in the game that I don’t fully appreciate - recognizing leverage, shifts of balance, disguising intentions, etc

I think a lot of people look at height, weight, 40 time, and hands and think - OK, thats a receiver. I don’t know if this kid has it or not - but I’m excited to find out.

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Survivor Champion
I'm slightly warming up to Tutu, but, I really don't have a choice, he's a Ram so I hope he's a legend. But boy, would Rondale Moore have been a much better weapon to grab (I know he went a few picks before us, but coulda been worth a small trade up) IF we were determined to take a WR with our first pick. Though if we were moving up in that region, I'd have been extremely disappointed to have not gotten JOK or Ojulari. I doubt I'll ever be thrilled with this pick, but I'm very much hoping I'm wrong.