OT Orlando Brown taking a beating over combine results

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

MrRiceGuyRJ

Let's Make the Rams Great Again
Name
RJ
Wow... just wow. How is one of the top prospects that weak?

I had shoulder surgery a year ago and I can put up 225# that many times. That's unbelievable for an O-lineman, especially a top prospect. I wonder if he's battling an injury or something

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Yeah, bad combine #'s. Some teams will pass on him and then kick themselves when he turns into an All Pro LT.:rant:

LA_vision

Hall of Fame
It's obvious he hasnt workout since the last game of the season, which is embarrassing. Wouldn't touch this guy with a 10 foot poll .

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
It's obvious he hasnt workout since the last game of the season, which is embarrassing. Wouldn't touch this guy with a 10 foot poll .

A fat slow weak guy holding down the LT spot is now ideal right...........

TexasRam

Legend
I wonder what he has to say.

Some of these dudes may wear themselves down by overdoing workouts before the combine or stressing out.

There is also a lot of viruses going around that could sap ones strength and energy.

I would rely on tape vs combine. If he has the technique and anchor needed then who cares.

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
Measuring "Football" speed is more important than measuring "Track" speed. If they want to measure a skill player's speed for football, then they should develop tests similar to what they would see in a game... some type of gauntlet so to speak. Running for 40-yards in a straight line only measures in-line speed, which is vastly different than what these guys do in a real game.

RamsSince1969

Ram It, Do You Know How To Ram It, Ram It
Rams On Demand Sponsor
How did this guy fail? Still pisses me off. False advertising at it's best.
Greg.jpg

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Football entails a bunch of running....guys that run fast can do more...get to more...it does translate...

This guy plays like he runs....real slowly...

If this doesn't matter, why are some (most?) of the best players, elite athletes?

pmil66

Starter
Name
pmil
Looks like Brown has very little interest in being a professional football player. Not dedicated at all to that profession. Will be interest to see his wonderlic score.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Yep, it's not that he didn't run well or test well in regards to how it translates to football, although still a big concern. It's about that he apparently trained very little if at all for such an important event in his career.

As Mayock pointed out, while he may be an exception, as one GM told him, teams are not built on exceptions. You start trying to do that and you get in a lot of trouble.

Last edited:

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Yep, it's not that he didn't run well or test well in regards to how it translates to football, alrhough still a big concern. It's about that he apparently trained very little if at all for such an impirtant event in his career.

As Mayock pointed out, while he may be an exception, as one GM told him, teams are not built on exceptions. You start trying to do that and you get in a lot of trouble.

It cannot be overstated that if a player doesn't prep for the combine that is a gigantic red flag.

How many guys that tested positive for weed at the combine have had great careers? How many guys who have had a crap showing have been decent players?

I don't know the answer to those questions, but if a player showed up out of shape and not ready to display their skills and ability they would probably get crossed off of my list. How could you trust them?

The combine is a bigger deal than any game they played in college other than a game for the national championship. IMO if they can't be bothered to prepare that's a personality indicator that can't be ignored.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yelled at by coaches for loafing during drills at the combine?
His agent is probably already booking him into a hospital for an undiagnosed infection. About the only thing that can cover the damage.

If he's not seriously ill, then I wouldn't want a first or second day pick used on him - third day picks are for longshot gambles.

The best college players fail if they aren't willing to put in the work needed to compete against the professional elite.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I would rely on tape vs combine. If he has the technique and anchor needed then who cares.

The worst players he would face in the NFL are as good as or better than the best players he faced in college.

If he shows a lack of willingness to put in the work necessary to improve, then he will bomb in the NFL. His combine numbers and overall performance there are ginormous red flags about his motivation. Will a team be able to count on him to train hard year around? Will he take plays off when he's tired? Will he put 100% into practice to improve his technique to face off against the best?

At the very least, he's made it where no team will be comfortable drafting him high without a LOT more investigation.

UKram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I mean I’m not one to put massive stock in a bad 40 time or a low rep score on the press in determining how good a player someone is ..I’ve seen plenty of workout warriors and natural athletes bomb in the NFL (Greg Robinson anyone ? ) and I’ll continue to do so until they work out a test that measures heart and courage and good old fashion want to win and will to work

But low scores AND being yelled at by coaches at the combine .. a thing that pretty much determines where you go and how much money you could potentially make ??

That’s the reddest flag that ever did red

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
He doesn't seem to concerned with being NFL ready. If his heart isn't into it then a team will get an Alex Barron, who wished he was a basketball player, or Greg Robinson who spent more energy on his rapping than on his playbook.

UDFA or 6th round or 7th.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Wow... just wow. How is one of the top prospects that weak?

I had shoulder surgery a year ago and I can put up 225# that many times. That's unbelievable for an O-lineman, especially a top prospect. I wonder if he's battling an injury or something

He's not weak. Brown is an ox. Why did he not do better on the bench? I don't know. As stated below, Rob Havenstein only put up 16 reps. I wouldn't think of classifying him as weak.

A fat slow weak guy holding down the LT spot is now ideal right...........

He's weak? Because he didn't do well on the bench press at the Combine?

Would you have called Harvey Dahl weak? Would you call Calais Campbell weak? Would you have called Jared Allen weak? Is Rob Havenstein weak? Just for comparison sake:
Harvey Dahl - 17
Rob Havenstein - 16
Demetress Bell - 9
Cody Whitehair - 16
Ben Hamilton - 17
Jared Allen - 14
Calais Campbell - 16

All of these guys became successful NFL players. Demetress Bell was a quality LT before injuries ruined his career. Let's not overreact. Orlando Brown was absolutely immovable on the field when guys tried to bullrush him. He's as far from weak as you can get. The bench press doesn't measure football strength. You don't play LT from your back, and DLs don't lay on top of you and wait for you to lift them up. Let's not overreact.

Last edited:

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He doesn't seem to concerned with being NFL ready. If his heart isn't into it then a team will get an Alex Barron, who wished he was a basketball player, or Greg Robinson who spent more energy on his rapping than on his playbook.

UDFA or 6th round or 7th.

Or he's a football player, and you're reading too much into the Combine. Havenstein had a horrible Combine too. I don't doubt his commitment to football. Is Brown's Combine disappointing? Sure. However, without character reports, we're in the dark. NFL teams have those. They know what type of person he is. They know what his work habits are. We're left to make assumptions. I don't like jumping to conclusions unless there's something more there.

Prior to the Combine, had you heard anything about Brown's character or work habits that gave you pause? I hadn't. If there were a bunch of red flags before the Combine, I'd be concerned. Without those, I'm curious, but I'm not shutting the book on the kid. I remember Vontaze Burfict looking absolutely dreadful at the Combine, but that kid can play football. And he actually had character red flags coming into the event.