OT Orlando Brown taking a beating over combine results

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nf...make-you-feel-more-like-an-athlete/ar-BBJMRe4

VIDEO: Orlando Brown's 40-Time Will Make You Feel More Like an Athlete

Eric Gerbehy1 hr ago

BBJMZ7R.img
© Image

by Eric Gerbehy Orlando Brown

The NFL Draft Combine is underway, and the top college football players in the country are showing off all of the hard work they put in for this weekend.

The one event that catches everyone's eye each year is the 40 yard dash. Wide receivers, running backs, and cornerbacks are the three groups everyone looks forward to, but it's always a treat to see the big linemen trudge down the line, too.

Orlando Brown, one of the best linemen entering the draft this season, ran his 40 today...and it looks like it took him all weekend to finish.

"That's a historically bad time," said NFL Network analyst Mike Mayock of Orlando Brown's 5.86 40 yard dash time.

Orlando Brown is still arguably the best tackle in the draft, and he is more than likely going to get selected in the first round, but that is SLOW.

Let this be the motivation that you need to go be your best self today. If a 5.86 40-yard dash can be a first round NFL talent, you can too.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft...rds-wow-orlando-brown-fizzles-in-bench-press/

2018 NFL combine results: Top guards wow, Orlando Brown fizzles in bench press
Quenton Nelson and Will Hernandez put up big numbers in the bench press on Thursday in Indianapolis

by Chris Trapasso

INDIANAPOLIS -- The first physical testing of the week at the 2018 NFL combine came via the offensive linemen taking to the bench press in what's now an awkward setup, with the players announcing their names on a stage surrounded by scout-filled grandstands hundreds of others taking it all in.

No, the bench isn't the sole determinant of strength. However, it is the only strength measure at the combine, and linemen do use a bench-press type motion on every play. So, this drill carries some weight in the evaluation process.

Notre Dame's Quenton Nelson -- who measured in at a tackle-sized 6-foot-5 and 325 pounds with 33 3/4-inch arms yesterday -- put up a whopping 35 reps on the bench, which initially tied him for the most reps among all offensive linemen at the combine since tackle Ereck Flowers did 37 in 2015.

Yes, Nelson is a strong man. There's been serious buzz about him sliding over to tackle at the NFL level -- if need be -- which should boost his stock and thereby add to his perceived value as a potential top-10 pick.

A few minutes later, Will Hernandez of UTEP -- who measured in at 6-foot-2 3/8 and 327 pounds on Wednesday -- did 37 reps. That's tied with Flowers for the most among offensive linemen since Russell Bodine went Hulk Hogan in 2014 and did 42 reps.

On the opposite end of the spectrum, Oklahoma tackle Orlando Brown mustered just 14 reps on the bench. Here's the deal, though. Brown is north of 6-foot-7 and has 35-inch arms. Not ideal for benching. On film, Brown is a bulldozer in the run game and rarely, if ever is put on skates by a bull rush.

Does 14 reps raise a red flag? For some teams, a small one. Here's how similar tackles handled the drill in past combines, per NFL.com's Chad Reuter:

If there are any strength concerns for Brown -- I can't believe I just wrote that -- one year in an NFL strength-and-conditioning program will do the trick.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Questions abounding right now about his love for the game. And btw his tape looks good, not like strength or movement were an issue for him at least vs Big12 opponents.

Last edited:

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
he should.....400 lb man....and can only lift 225, 14 times....dude hates the gym

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
So has anyone noted a correlation between high reps in bench and sustained success in the NFL? Asking honestly here, because it seems to me that the guys who tend to excel in it aren't necessarily high end players.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
I hope he becomes a future HOFer . Just to show how insignificant the combine is

Kevin

Pro Bowler
So has anyone noted a correlation between high reps in bench and sustained success in the NFL? Asking honestly here, because it seems to me that the guys who tend to excel in it aren't necessarily high end players.
I love looking this stuff up. Seems that Dontari Poe was the only bench press phenom to have a distinguished NFL career. Others like Stephen Paea played a few years in the NFL, most were not worth the attention.
https://www.cheatsheet.com/sports/h...totals-in-nfl-combine-history.html/?a=viewall

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Here we go again with the combine results. Bad 40 time, not enough bench presses, etc. Some folks put way too much stock in that stuff.

I'll pay more attention to the combine when they can measure how much pain a guy can play with, how hard he likes to hit, or when the score gets out of hand will he quit giving 100%. Some things that are crucial to a football player just can't be measured. We've seen players with outstanding combine results fail miserably come time to play in the NFL.

I guess it is a good way to actually see the physical side of prospects.

Ram65

Legend
he should.....400 lb man....and can only lift 225, 14 times....dude hates the gym

Seems that way. You have to wonder about how much work ethic he has. I would like to know what NFL people think about this.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
IMO learning what's inside a players head is just (if not more) important data.

How much of a competitor?

Personal goals?

Passions in life?

Learning ability.

Teamwork.

I'd lay that along side tape, and lean most heavily.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
As far as Orlando Brown; meh.

I'd worry more about the 40 time of ball carriers.

Maybe he falls and we can snag him.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I’ll never understand why Linemen run the 40 yard dash. It’s pointless.
To me the "Split-Time" is more important than the 40 when it comes to Linemen! Then the Cone and Shuttle Drills! But you have to keep in mind, all the Combine is, is a glorified Job Interview! After you get the Job, you have to prove yourself, at work, on the Field!

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I could've done better than what Orlando Brown showed, and I'm in a wheelchair. ;)