Osweiler

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Well, I would take a young Jeff George right now with the Rams....I'm not sure on Osweiler either, but I damn sure he's superior to Keenum!

I'm not so sure Osweiler is. He didn't perform much better than Austin Davis did last year despite having far better talent around him. Keenum beat Austin Davis out for the job and looked more competent than Davis in his limited time.

And I'm not a Keenum fan at all. I just think Osweiler is getting overrated.(same with McCarron) Neither of them impressed me.

fearsomefour

Legend
It is sort of revealing that Denver is will to let him hit the open market (it appears).
Osweiler turning down $16M is just crazy. But, so it goes when you are a FA QB.
I haven't seen anything of Hundley since college, but, he was 100 miles away at that point.
Glennon I have no problem with and think he can do some nice things.
Daniels, same as Hundley, haven't seen him since college, although he was a much better QB in college than Hundley.

Assuming Jrry32 is right about these guys, they all have one thing in common. They have been able to sit....in the case of Hundley for a shorter period of time. For Daniel, for an extended period of time....and learn.
The current thing of drafting a guy a starting him right away is often misguided I think.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
And I'm not a Keenum fan at all. I just think Osweiler is getting overrated.(same with McCarron) Neither of them impressed me.

Good points I thought he had some great moments especially against the Patriots and I will always gamble on a tall, big arm QB with athletic ability, now I would just rather draft Paxton Lynch in the first round and put all this to bed, but that's just me.

OC_Ram

Restricted Free Agent
CALL ME CRAZY BUT........ When I consider the cost to moving up I'm content with staying put. I'm not ecstatic about our stable of QB's but I wouldn't sell the farm for the 2016 crop. If 1 of the top 3 fall to us then I'd be fine with that. Start Case with Mannion pushing for the role and seek a replacement for Foles. Use the draft to fortify our soon to be decimated D ( by FA & cuts) and grab a top tier WR. DO NOT let our D decline, it's all we have!

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Good points I thought he had some great moments especially against the Patriots and I will always gamble on a tall, big arm QB with athletic ability, now I would just rather draft Paxton Lynch in the first round and put all this to bed, but that's just me.

He doesn't really have a big arm, though. Frankly, I'm not the type to look for certain skill-sets. I just want a guy that wows me. Osweiler didn't do that.

wmc540

Pro Bowler
You'd think after 4 years in the league, the guy would have made a bigger impression by now...pass.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
CALL ME CRAZY BUT........ When I consider the cost to moving up I'm content with staying put. I'm not ecstatic about our stable of QB's but I wouldn't sell the farm for the 2016 crop. If 1 of the top 3 fall to us then I'd be fine with that. Start Case with Mannion pushing for the role and seek a replacement for Foles. Use the draft to fortify our soon to be decimated D ( by FA & cuts) and grab a top tier WR. DO NOT let our D decline, it's all we have!

Those are the same 3 QBs we had last year that resulted in the worst QB play in the NFL and a 7-9 season despite having a top 10 defense and running game.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Two things...

Didn't I read where Osweiler declined a $16 million Bronco salary offer?

And can anyone honestly say that Osweiler's play is significantly better than Keenum's?

Sooooo...

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
1s0G438.jpg

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Didn't I read where Osweiler declined a $16 million Bronco salary offer?

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...offer-for-osweiler-at-over-12-million-a-year/

Report pegs Broncos’ offer for Osweiler at over $12 million a year
Posted by Michael David Smith on March 5, 2016

cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjotqwyyznptu5nwe5nju3nwvkzge4nzzmmwy3n2y0mde4ntg4nwez-e1447979148394.jpeg
AP

With Peyton Manning ready to move on or move out of Denver, the Broncos’ focus is on re-signing quarterback Brock Osweiler. But the Broncos may not be offering Osweiler a lot of money, at least by the standards of an NFL starting quarterback.

The Denver Post reports that the offer the Broncos are making Osweiler is “likely to be more than Los Angeles Rams quarterback Nick Foles $12.27 million per season.”

That short description contains a lot to unpack. How much “more than” $12.27 million a season? If it’s not much more than what Foles is making, it’s easy to see why Osweiler hasn’t signed the deal yet. In a league where Kirk Cousins is making $20 million this year and Sam Bradford is set to make $36 million over the next two years, Osweiler surely wants to hit the open market and see if some team views him as more worthy of a Cousins/Bradford deal than a Foles deal.

Osweiler becomes a free agent if he hasn’t signed an extension with the Broncos by March 9, and at that point some quarterback-needy team might decide to take a shot on him, and offer him something more like a Cousins/Bradford deal than a Foles deal. If that happens, the Broncos better have a Plan B in place.

Maybe Plan B is Manning, but only if he’d be willing to take a lot less than the $19 million he’s scheduled to make. And, for that matter, a lot less than the $12 million the Broncos are apparently offering Osweiler.

BatteringRambo

Inked Gym Rat Stoner
Name
J.Fo
Report: Broncos offer Osweiler 3-year deal worth more than $45M
Michael David Smith
updated 3:05 pm. EST Mar. 5, 2016

With Broncos quarterback Brock Osweiler set to become a free agent on Wednesday, the team is trying to entice him to stay in Denver.

Mike Klis of KUSA reports that the Broncos offered Osweiler a three-year contract worth more than $45 million. That comes on the heels of a Denver Post report that pegged the Broncos’ offer to Osweiler at more than $12 million a year.

Neither report has indicated how much money is guaranteed in these offers, and the guaranteed money is often more important to players and agents than the total value of the deal. So it’s tough to assess exactly how good the Broncos’ offer for Osweiler is.

But it is clear that the Broncos would like to move on from Peyton Manning and hold on to Osweiler. In a perfect scenario for the Broncos, Manning would announce his retirement and Osweiler would sign a long-term deal as Manning’s heir apparent. But it’s starting to look more likely that Manning will be released, and Osweiler will test free agency.

IowaRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Iowa
When it comes to QB's , I'm guessing John Elway knows what he's doing

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
When it comes to QB's , I'm guessing John Elway knows what he's doing

Yep. And he's gonna take a QB in this draft. I don't see him moving up to 1 or anything, given the cost of coming from 31. But I could see him move in front of us to take Lynch.

Whatever Elway does, I'll bet he's got a really good take on which QB to get.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Report: Broncos offer Osweiler 3-year deal worth more than $45M
Michael David Smith
updated 3:05 pm. EST Mar. 5, 2016

With Broncos quarterback Brock Osweiler set to become a free agent on Wednesday, the team is trying to entice him to stay in Denver.

Mike Klis of KUSA reports that the Broncos offered Osweiler a three-year contract worth more than $45 million. That comes on the heels of a Denver Post report that pegged the Broncos’ offer to Osweiler at more than $12 million a year.

Neither report has indicated how much money is guaranteed in these offers, and the guaranteed money is often more important to players and agents than the total value of the deal. So it’s tough to assess exactly how good the Broncos’ offer for Osweiler is.

But it is clear that the Broncos would like to move on from Peyton Manning and hold on to Osweiler. In a perfect scenario for the Broncos, Manning would announce his retirement and Osweiler would sign a long-term deal as Manning’s heir apparent. But it’s starting to look more likely that Manning will be released, and Osweiler will test free agency.

More than $45 over three should be at the high end of what Oz is worth. Just not sure he's gonna get more than that even on the open market. Might be about how much is guaranteed now, and if so that means the Broncos will probably sign him before FA starts.

Which would be good for the Rams IMO. Maybe then they'll get pissed off and trade up for Goff.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis

Very true here just because you were a great quarterback does not indicate you can scout or draft one. In fact there was a time when many felt that former Quarterbacks did not make good Head Coaches at least the great ones...Bob Waterfield, Norm Van Brocklin, Bart Starr, Sammy Baugh & Otto Graham for example, however, there have been some successes like Tom Flores, Jim Harbaugh and most recently Gary Kubiak.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
You might ask, "Jrry32, are you telling me that every starting caliber QB in the NFL is currently starting?"
OK but I don't see the point. You already answered it. But as you wish. Jrry32, are you telling me that every starting caliber QB in the NFL is currently starting?

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Very true here just because you were a great quarterback does not indicate you can scout or draft one. In fact there was a time when many felt that former Quarterbacks did not make good Head Coaches at least the great ones...Bob Waterfield, Norm Van Brocklin, Bart Starr, Sammy Baugh & Otto Graham for example, however, there have been some successes like Tom Flores, Jim Harbaugh and most recently Gary Kubiak.

In Elway's favor he did sign Manning at 35 years old to a five year $96 million dollar deal. His team didn't win the SB until this year and with defense, however that decision netted the Broncos a lot of wins and playoff appearances.

He has high standards as GM too. Firing John Fox after his performance in Denver as head coach took serious balls. I'd say Elway has demonstrated himself to be very good at his job.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Mike Glennon - Glennon is a tough one for me because he has a lot of similarities to Foles.
This is exactly my problem with Glennon. We already have him under contract.

Personally, if the Rams are not going to go after what THEY VIEW as their potential franchise QB, we should spend our picks elsewhere. I'm ok with moving up to grab one of the top two, sitting pat if Lynch falls to us, or even grabbing a QB in the 2nd or 3rd if they see him as THAT guy. Otherwise, get Keenum and Mannion some real reps and go to battle with a top level defense, a couple more offensive weapons, a young O-line with a year together under their belt, a Todd Gurley - fully healed and ready to catch passes out of the backfield, and Tavon gadgeting his way for big chunks of yards and flipping the field on punt returns.

I just don't see the point in trading QBs in the hopes that the next also ran is slightly better than what we have. Chances are they are not really going to be much if any better. This offense needs to play together and my belief is that they will improve a fair bit just from that. Add in a little more talent - maybe a true veteran wide out, and crack some heads while scoring in the mid to upper 20s.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...offer-for-osweiler-at-over-12-million-a-year/

Report pegs Broncos’ offer for Osweiler at over $12 million a year
Posted by Michael David Smith on March 5, 2016

cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjotqwyyznptu5nwe5nju3nwvkzge4nzzmmwy3n2y0mde4ntg4nwez-e1447979148394.jpeg
AP

With Peyton Manning ready to move on or move out of Denver, the Broncos’ focus is on re-signing quarterback Brock Osweiler. But the Broncos may not be offering Osweiler a lot of money, at least by the standards of an NFL starting quarterback.

The Denver Post reports that the offer the Broncos are making Osweiler is “likely to be more than Los Angeles Rams quarterback Nick Foles $12.27 million per season.”

That short description contains a lot to unpack. How much “more than” $12.27 million a season? If it’s not much more than what Foles is making, it’s easy to see why Osweiler hasn’t signed the deal yet. In a league where Kirk Cousins is making $20 million this year and Sam Bradford is set to make $36 million over the next two years, Osweiler surely wants to hit the open market and see if some team views him as more worthy of a Cousins/Bradford deal than a Foles deal.

Osweiler becomes a free agent if he hasn’t signed an extension with the Broncos by March 9, and at that point some quarterback-needy team might decide to take a shot on him, and offer him something more like a Cousins/Bradford deal than a Foles deal. If that happens, the Broncos better have a Plan B in place.

Maybe Plan B is Manning, but only if he’d be willing to take a lot less than the $19 million he’s scheduled to make. And, for that matter, a lot less than the $12 million the Broncos are apparently offering Osweiler.
The story can't be true. I haven't seen Osweiler tweeting about the lowball offer.