Osweiler

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Name
Roger Stern
I believe he is Case Keenum in a better offensive scheme. So the rams should stay away from him. Do you agree?

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yes. Stay away from him. We're all desperate for a QB but Osweiler isn't the answer. People say with Osweiler and McCarron, "Look at their numbers as first time starters." Their numbers don't look much different than Austin Davis's despite having far better supporting casts. But like Austin Davis, you could tell teams were figuring them out. Those guys aren't the answer.

You might ask, "Jrry32, are you telling me that every starting caliber QB in the NFL is currently starting?"

Actually, no. I do think there are 2-3 QBs out there capable of providing average or better starting QB play. The challenge is in identifying who those guys are. My opinion is that Brett Hundley, Chase Daniel, and Mike Glennon are the three most likely candidates.(currently, there are a couple guys who I think might develop into that down the line)

Why those three guys?

Brett Hundley - Evaluating Brett Hundley last year, I didn't understand why he fell to the 5th. He's a lot like Jacoby Brissett in this year's class who I also think has starter potential if allowed to sit and develop. Brissett is bigger and stronger while Hundley is more mobile. Hundley has all the tools. His problems coming out were his internal clock, his inconsistent mechanics (which caused scattershot down the field accuracy), and the system he played in. He had a year to sit behind Aaron Rodgers with Mike McCarthy. Is he a lock? No. But he has starter caliber tools, he got better each year in college at protecting the football, and progressed each year in college.

Chase Daniel - I wanted to try and brush up on some of the QBs available this off-season. I sat down and watched Jimmy Garoppolo and Chase Daniel on the same night. Daniel put Garoppolo to shame. Daniel has been in the NFL long enough to be considered a wily vet but never gotten an opportunity because he was originally behind Drew Brees with Asshole Face and spent the last few years with Andy Reid behind Alex Smith. Daniel is short at 6'0" but spent the first few years of his career learning from the right QB. Daniel seems to have taken that opportunity seriously as you see a lot of the same instincts and awareness in the pocket that have allowed Drew Brees to be so successful. Daniel is sneaky athletic, throws a very catchable ball, and processes things quickly. He's not Drew Brees but he's a guy that I think could step up and be like Alex Smith in the right environment.(although, he's more of a risk-taker than Alex)

Mike Glennon - Glennon is a tough one for me because he has a lot of similarities to Foles. However, Glennon spent the first two years of his career in a pretty terrible environment. While the Bucs gave him some weapons to work with, he had very questionable offensive minds and bad offensive lines in front of him. Glennon still managed to throw for 29 TDs to 15 Ints over his first 19 games. That's nothing to be scoffed at and I do think that differentiates him from Foles who utterly collapsed when he had to leave the ideal environment in Philadelphia. I don't know if Glennon has a lot of upside but I think he's shown thus far that he can be a game manager level starting QB. Kind of like Kyle Orton was. Still, we haven't seen Glennon in a stable situation with a decent OL. Might be a different player if given the chance. That all said, if Foles had given us rookie Glennon level play in 2015, we would have made the playoffs. I'd like to aim higher but worst comes to worst, I'd take Glennon on this team over another year of Foles.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Yes. Stay away from him. We're all desperate for a QB but Osweiler isn't the answer. People say with Osweiler and McCarron, "Look at their numbers as first time starters." Their numbers don't look much different than Austin Davis's despite having far better supporting casts. But like Austin Davis, you could tell teams were figuring them out. Those guys aren't the answer.

You might ask, "Jrry32, are you telling me that every starting caliber QB in the NFL is currently starting?"

Actually, no. I do think there are 2-3 QBs out there capable of providing average or better starting QB play. The challenge is in identifying who those guys are. My opinion is that Brett Hundley, Chase Daniel, and Mike Glennon are the three most likely candidates.(currently, there are a couple guys who I think might develop into that down the line)

Why those three guys?

Brett Hundley - Evaluating Brett Hundley last year, I didn't understand why he fell to the 5th. He's a lot like Jacoby Brissett in this year's class who I also think has starter potential if allowed to sit and develop. Brissett is bigger and stronger while Hundley is more mobile. Hundley has all the tools. His problems coming out were his internal clock, his inconsistent mechanics (which caused scattershot down the field accuracy), and the system he played in. He had a year to sit behind Aaron Rodgers with Mike McCarthy. Is he a lock? No. But he has starter caliber tools, he got better each year in college at protecting the football, and progressed each year in college.

Chase Daniel - I wanted to try and brush up on some of the QBs available this off-season. I sat down and watched Jimmy Garoppolo and Chase Daniel on the same night. Daniel put Garoppolo to shame. Daniel has been in the NFL long enough to be considered a wily vet but never gotten an opportunity because he was originally behind Drew Brees with Asshole Face and spent the last few years with Andy Reid behind Alex Smith. Daniel is short at 6'0" but spent the first few years of his career learning from the right QB. Daniel seems to have taken that opportunity seriously as you see a lot of the same instincts and awareness in the pocket that have allowed Drew Brees to be so successful. Daniel is sneaky athletic, throws a very catchable ball, and processes things quickly. He's not Drew Brees but he's a guy that I think could step up and be like Alex Smith in the right environment.(although, he's more of a risk-taker than Alex)

Mike Glennon - Glennon is a tough one for me because he has a lot of similarities to Foles. However, Glennon spent the first two years of his career in a pretty terrible environment. While the Bucs gave him some weapons to work with, he had very questionable offensive minds and bad offensive lines in front of him. Glennon still managed to throw for 29 TDs to 15 Ints over his first 19 games. That's nothing to be scoffed at and I do think that differentiates him from Foles who utterly collapsed when he had to leave the ideal environment in Philadelphia. I don't know if Glennon has a lot of upside but I think he's shown thus far that he can be a game manager level starting QB. Kind of like Kyle Orton was. Still, we haven't seen Glennon in a stable situation with a decent OL. Might be a different player if given the chance. That all said, if Foles had given us rookie Glennon level play in 2015, we would have made the playoffs. I'd like to aim higher but worst comes to worst, I'd take Glennon on this team over another year of Foles.

Okay Jrry I have some questions for you.

How happy or disappointed would you be if the Rams did not trade up for a QB, but signed one of these guys instead?

Sounds like you would prefer Daniel if they did, am I right?

Then if they drafted a guy in round 2 or 3 to go along with signing one of the above, who would you think was worthy or don't you think any of them are worthy?

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Okay Jrry I have some questions for you.

How happy or disappointed would you be if the Rams did not trade up for a QB, but signed one of these guys instead?

Sounds like you would prefer Daniel if they did, am I right?

Then if they drafted a guy in round 2 or 3 to go along with signing one of the above, who would you think was worthy or don't you think any of them are worthy?

I'd be disappointed. I'd be fine with them signing Daniel but I'd still want them to target one of the top QBs. Same with bringing in Glennon.

With Hundley, I'd be somewhat disappointed but he has enough upside that I'd be willing to be patient.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I see a guy who can become a legit starter with a little bit of work. Osweiler played extremely well in his second career start against the Patriots. Did everything you wanna see. Came from behind, took some shots instead of being hesitant, played smart, played poised when they threw delayed second level defender and free man blitzes at him, etc. He's mobile, tall, and can push the ball down field. Not a rocket arm by any stretch, but he's a gamer. And yes, he does have the same tenacity as Keenum. Which I like. I wouldn't be at all upset if the Rams somehow landed him. He looks the part to me.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I'd be disappointed. I'd be fine with them signing Daniel but I'd still want them to target one of the top QBs. Same with bringing in Glennon.

With Hundley, I'd be somewhat disappointed but he has enough upside that I'd be willing to be patient.

The upside would be not having to give up a lot of picks. But what you are saying is that Glennon and Daniel are only seen as upgrades by you and not the answer. I haven't seen Daniel play at all to know what to think. I just keep wishing there was an answer that didn't involve giving up a lot of picks, when the team still has weaknesses on the roster, besides QB. I hope I feel differently after free agency.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
We're bringing in Gase's passing game through Groh I think, so at least if we brought in Osweiler it wouldn't be a major transition

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Word is he turned down $16 million from Denver. I am not interested in seeing the Rams overpay for a guy who is probably just another backup.

My bet is Elway is all over the QBs in this draft. Might even be planning on moving ahead of the Rams at 15 for Lynch if he's there.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The upside would be not having to give up a lot of picks. But what you are saying is that Glennon and Daniel are only seen as upgrades by you and not the answer. I haven't seen Daniel play at all to know what to think. I just keep wishing there was an answer that didn't involve giving up a lot of picks, when the team still has weaknesses on the roster, besides QB. I hope I feel differently after free agency.

Yes. Enough of an upgrade for us to compete but not enough of an upgrade for me to feel we have a franchise QB. However, that could change once they hit the field in our system. Still, I'd feel more comfortable with a talented youngster to develop behind one of the two.

With Hundley, I think he has great enough tools that he could be the answer.(Donovan McNabb level QB) But there's also a realistic chance that he's not.(Jason Campbell/David Garrard level QB) Risk you take with trading for backups.

Every team has weaknesses. IMO, fill them the best we can in FA and then go to the draft and get our QB.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
I like every option that would make us better. It's no secret, but I would have Hundley as the #3 QB in the last draft, and now this one.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I believe he is Case Keenum in a better offensive scheme. So the rams should stay away from him. Do you agree?

What? Osweiler is 6'7 and Keenum is 6'0 in heels and Osweiler has superior arm strength....With all due respect I disagree.

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
I don't see the point for trading for someone's back up. Reason is if he was good (even back up good) teams don't let them go. Brock O I don't think there is enough film to invest 18-19m/year which he will get. I think thats not smart investment wise. I rather sign as many of our own players and attempt to add 1-2 skill guys in FA and be bold on Day 1 of the draft and go get a top 3 ranked QB. Its that simple. Make hard good decisions in FA, if that means no JJ or Baron do too them over pricing themselves so be it. Add M. Jones & L. Green or even 1 of Allen/ Gresham and run a 2 TE offense.

Q: What about standing pat in Rd1 draft, move up for C. Cook and sign Peyton Manning for 2 years???

Last edited:

NERamsFan

Pro Bowler
Pass

I honestly think our best option is trading up for Wentz. Color me partial, but something about this kid makes me think he could get us over the hump.

Just say no to all these other options.. Including Goff!! :hiding::boxing:

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
What? Osweiler is 6'7 and Keenum is 6'0 in heels and Osweiler has superior arm strength....With all due respect I disagree.

Height and arm don't really impress me in and of themselves...Jeff George had the biggest arm I've ever seen...I'm just not real sure about Osweiler yet...

Name
Roger Stern
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I believe hiven the chance maybe mannion could be it. Fantastic 2013 when had weapons and an oline. Statue in the pocket but realeases ball quickly. Has the ability to throw recievers open. 3rd pick should have something to show.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Height and arm don't really impress me in and of themselves...Jeff George had the biggest arm I've ever seen...I'm just not real sure about Osweiler yet...

Well, I would take a young Jeff George right now with the Rams....I'm not sure on Osweiler either, but I damn sure he's superior to Keenum!