Norv Turner: Sam Bradford everything you look for in a quarterback

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

FRO

Legend
Killer instinct. That Brett Favre trait where you stand tall, take a shot, and rifle it into the teeth of the defense because you trust your arm and you trust your decisions. Part of that is the way he was developed coming into the league, and then it got compounded by the injuries and the poundings he took. I don't think it's all lost though. Bradford can get pretty hot when he wants to, and he can build on his own confidence. Guys like Greg Cosell and Jaworski catalogued the guy's career up to this point and they've been pretty accurate with how they analyzed him - both mentally and physically. He's off to a good start this year though. If he can loosen up that arm and get a little bolder with the way he attacks the deep and middle zones, then he could have a pretty good year. I think he's put that skittishness behind him now that he knows his knee is holding up. JMO.
I wonder if coming into the league with coaches like Spags and Fisher can really hurt the development of a QB. I don't mean it as a shot at those two, but they generally play it very safe and not to lose the game. The best QBs take risks. It's part of the game. I wonder if that super safe approach gets into the QBs psyche where he is following orders and becomes fearful of making that costly mistake rather than playing to make the big play?

Generally though successful QBs play in one offense most of their careers. This whole changing schemes every year is a killer.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I wonder if coming into the league with coaches like Spags and Fisher can really hurt the development of a QB. I don't mean it as a shot at those two, but they generally play it very safe and not to lose the game. The best QBs take risks. It's part of the game. I wonder if that super safe approach gets into the QBs psyche where he is following orders and becomes fearful of making that costly mistake rather than playing to make the big play?

Generally though successful QBs play in one offense most of their careers. This whole changing schemes every year is a killer.
I think it definitely plays a part, yes. Absolutely. Jeff Fisher has never had a 4000 yard passer in his entire career. Not once. On the flip side, you have guys like Martz who can turn guys like Jon Kitna into 4000 yard passers immediately; whereas before that, Kitna never threw for that many single-season yards in his career - and never did again until the day he retired. You could argue that this really isn't 'development', per se', and is instead just the end result of the offensive philosophy, but I'd think the end goal would be for all QBs to get into the mindset that they want to throw for as many yards as is humanly possible. You want the QB to attack and pick apart defenses. Not necessarily do enough to get by.

wolfdogg

Hall of Fame
Name
wolfdogg
Norv would have gotten better production from foles, austin, and others, and I would love to see him working with goff.

FRO

Legend
I think it definitely plays a part, yes. Absolutely. Jeff Fisher has never had a 4000 yard passer in his entire career. Not once. On the flip side, you have guys like Martz who can turn guys like Jon Kitna into 4000 yard passers immediately; whereas before that, Kitna never threw for that many single-season yards in his career - and never did again until the day he retired. You could argue that this really isn't 'development', per se', and is instead just the end result of the offensive philosophy, but I'd think the end goal would be for all QBs to get into the mindset that they want to throw for as many yards as is humanly possible. You want the QB to attack and pick apart defenses. Not necessarily do enough to get by.
It's definitely Fisher's philosophy, but with a young guy you are developing that can have a larger impact I believe. Maybe not.