Norv Turner: Sam Bradford everything you look for in a quarterback

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
Curious to see how he performs against a real defense. That packers defense is so putrid, it's like a counterpart of our passing offense

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
He thrived despite having only one receiver make big plays.”
Chris Givens, anyone? That's what Bradford's game reminded me of last week. His 2012 season with Chris Givens. This time, however, Bradford may have what amounts to a complete team around him. And because of that, he'll get to the playoffs. It would be cool to see him in that position just to see how he'd fare. He's definitely not the kind of QB to have a playoff-meltdown by throwing multiple picks and single-handedly losing a game. The flip side of that is that most fans believe he's not the kind of QB to hoist an entire team up on his back and will them back from a deep 4th quarter deficit. Gonna be interesting to see, anyway.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
No AP = No Playoffs.

http://www.twincities.com/2016/09/2...-teddy-bridgewater-tj-clemmings-brian-murphy/

Brian Murphy: Vikings press on as season-ending injuries pile up

wpid-20141124__141125kalil-sports.jpg

Vikings left tackle Matt Kalil. (AP Photo/Rogelio Solis)

What the Vikings need more than security at quarterback, running back and left tackle is Max von Sydow in his priest’s cassock, dousing Winter Park in holy water and casting out the demons that continue to torment the franchise.

How much more is a cursed football team supposed to endure?

Before coach Mike Zimmer declared Wednesday that superstar Adrian Peterson would have potentially season-ending surgery on another torn-up knee, he casually mentioned that Matt Kalil, social media’s favorite pin cushion, was placed on injured reserve because he needs hip surgery.

Two more first-round draft picks join quarterback Teddy Bridgewater in post-op uncertainty.

Vikings players have not vanished this fast since subpoenas started flying after the “The Love Boat” cruise.

Sam Bradford has yet to memorize his new zip code let alone Minnesota’s entire playbook. Less than 72 hours after an impressive debut victory over Green Bay, the quarterback has lost his blind-side protector and most prolific ball carrier.

Here are your 2016 Vikings, undefeated at 2-0, alone atop the NFC North and triaging day to day.

“Sure as (expletive) ain’t easy,” muttered unfiltered left guard Alex Boone, who has an excuse to cuss.

Kalil played on his left flank, and they were a tandem. Results have been decidedly mixed across the revamped line. Run blocking has been a mess, pass protection inconsistent.

Suddenly the most pivotal position is the responsibility of T.J. Clemmings, who started all 16 games last season at right tackle before shuffling behind free-agent acquisition Andre Smith on the depth chart.

wpid-20150817__150818Clemmings.jpg

Vikings tackle T.J. Clemmings/Photo by Hannah Foslien/Getty Images

Perhaps Clemmings is an upgrade from the hobbled, wildly inconsistent Kalil. Or maybe he will play like a converted right tackle and give Pitchfork Nation another bogeyman to hunt.

“He’s a helluva (expletive) player, and he’s going to fight to the end,” Boone said of Clemmings. “We’re stretched, but we’ll be fine. We’ll figure it out. We’re tough. We’re big boys.”

I’ll take Boone’s word on team toughness considering he is tattooed in barbed wire, a skull and war feathers.

Zimmer has lauded his team’s competitiveness and resilience in its two postgame locker-room celebrations. He’d better hope that well never runs dry.

The Vikings are playing with poise and confidence on defense despite the foreign objects crashing into their offense’s turbines. After the Vikings throttled Aaron Rodgers and the Packers, Cam Newton and the high-octane Panthers loom in a brutally challenging road game Sunday at defending NFC champion Carolina.

“Obviously, we’ve had a few setbacks,” Zimmer said. “We’re not the type of team that’s going to sit back and cry about what’s happened. We’re going to go forward and try to find a way.”

The way on the ground starts with Jerick McKinnon, the scat back who returns to riding shotgun with bulldozer running back Matt Asiata.

McKinnon started six games in 2014 while Peterson was on suspension and finished with 538 yards. Late last season, he emerged as a versatile pass catcher. In 29 games McKinnon has 1,127 all-purpose yards.

The Vikings signed running back Ronnie Hillman off the streets. He rushed for 863 yards with Denver last season and has a Super Bowl ring to show for it.

There is no shame cooking up a meat-and-potatoes rushing attack in a league predicated on downfield passing, especially if Bradford continues ascending after his assured two-touchdown, 286-yard Vikings debut at U.S. Bank Stadium.

Zimmer insisted Peterson had shown no signs of regression before he was injured in the third quarter against Green Bay, even though he averaged just 1.6 yards on 31 carries over two games.

Raise your hand if Peterson demonstrated breakout potential on any of them.

This figured to be his swan song in Minnesota, with a $17 million salary cap hit looming in 2017 and Bradford now soaking up as much on next year’s payroll.

You simply do not replace a future hall-of-fame running back. But this isn’t 2014, when journeyman Matt Cassel and Bridgewater the rookie were commanding a popgun offensive attack.

Bradford has enough tools to keep the chains moving and the arm to keep defenses honest when stacked against the run, assuming he stays upright — a notion that will be tested with Clemmings thrust into an unfamiliar role.

So leave it to the defense, the Vikings’ true identity. Relentless pressure and ball hawking means points are there for the taking.

“We’ve shown that when all 11 guys are on the same page and everyone’s where they need to be we’re a pretty good freaking football team,” said defensive end Brian Robison. “Time’s not going to stop. We’re going to keep moving forward. We’ve got to go play ball.”

Let’s be careful out there.

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
Wishing Sam the best. He was a great player in a bad situation with a ton of bad luck. I think he is good enough to win with when you put him with the right group. To say he couldn't take a team anywhere is ridiculous to me because he is clearly an improvement over most NFL QBs. It's all about the situation.

Force16X

anti pedestrian
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Then you keep Sam. Bridgewater is a game manager at best, before his injury.
this will be interesting with no adrian petersen in the backfield. no need to stack the box so teams can really cover the pass options now. nothing like opening up a new stadium and losing your starting qb and future HOF running back in the first 2 weeks.

tbux

Rookie
I was always the biggest Sam supporter. Labeled a "apologist" for years. The arguments on both sides were valid IMO. After he left, and I saw him first few games in Philly, I doubted more than ever. However he got better and better last year. Then yet again, new system, and the traded and new system again. 6 in 6 years. Honestly I still don't know how good Sam is. There have been times I was convinced he was in the 2nd tier of QBs talent wise, he just never had a real chance to show it. Every friend I have said I was nuts. My arguments were all valid ie never had weapons, never had great run game, never had great wr and never was able to get comfy in system. "excuses!!" always what I heard.

I still think he is a Eli, Ryan, Flacco, level QB. I hope this guy gets a chance to grow with a OC and system and has a real chance. He looked unreal Monday- what we always thought he could be in Stl. Pulling for the guy- hope he plays to his potential and finds success unless it effects us!

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
I was always the biggest Sam supporter. Labeled a "apologist" for years. The arguments on both sides were valid IMO. After he left, and I saw him first few games in Philly, I doubted more than ever. However he got better and better last year. Then yet again, new system, and the traded and new system again. 6 in 6 years. Honestly I still don't know how good Sam is. There have been times I was convinced he was in the 2nd tier of QBs talent wise, he just never had a real chance to show it. Every friend I have said I was nuts. My arguments were all valid ie never had weapons, never had great run game, never had great wr and never was able to get comfy in system. "excuses!!" always what I heard.

I still think he is a Eli, Ryan, Flacco, level QB. I hope this guy gets a chance to grow with a OC and system and has a real chance. He looked unreal Monday- what we always thought he could be in Stl. Pulling for the guy- hope he plays to his potential and finds success unless it effects us!

I think he's better than Eli Ryan or Flacco. We couldn't carry on with the guy after two consecutive ACL's and the option of a trade. But let him stay healthy and get in a good system with some players around him and he's got basically everything you need out of a QB. It's going to be extremely annoying watching him succeed there if we don't get the position sorted ourselves soon.

On the theme of ex-Rams I'm currently watching Chris Long ballin' for the Patriots....ugh...

UKram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think he's better than Eli Ryan or Flacco. We couldn't carry on with the guy after two consecutive ACL's and the option of a trade. But let him stay healthy and get in a good system with some players around him and he's got basically everything you need out of a QB. It's going to be extremely annoying watching him succeed there if we don't get the position sorted ourselves soon.

On the theme of ex-Rams I'm currently watching Chris Long ballin' for the Patriots....ugh...

i thought he had one maybe two more good years in him ...he played a dinged up a LOT for us ...

as for Sam always liked the kid ...and always wanted him to succeed ,,seems he gets a lot of hate for the money he received over the years for not much output..i said as on another thread if rams dont sniff the playoffs and the vikes make it ,,,ill sure be rooting for them

FRO

Legend
He threw the ball downfield consistently Monday night. Sam has been known as a dink and dunker who checks down too often and plays it too safe. Maybe that's the systems he is playing in, or he has never had a receiver as good as Diggs that can push the ball downfield. He looked like the Sam Bradford from Oklahoma Sunday night. If he plays at that level all year, then the Vikings will be Super Bowl contenders.

As for Bridgewater, if Sam plays to the level he is capable of, then you have a nice backup QB in Teddy. It wouldn't be a competition.

FRO

Legend
If you look at how Sam was playing in 2013 (on pace for 32 TDs and near 4,000 yards) and how he finished in Philly (he was rusty after not playing for a year and a half), then it's easy to see that the Vikings may have gotten their best QB since Favre and a long term answer at that.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If Bradford can stay healthy and does not thrive under Norv Turner, then, IMO he will never amount to much of anything.

Turner is as good as they get as an OC and Zimmer is a very good HC.

Jorgeh0605

You had me at meat tornado.
2023 ROD Fantasy Champion
It seems that all coaches around the league unanimously agree that Bradford has got the skills. I wonder what "intangibles" he is missing?

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
It seems that all coaches around the league unanimously agree that Bradford has got the skills. I wonder what "intangibles" he is missing?
Killer instinct. That Brett Favre trait where you stand tall, take a shot, and rifle it into the teeth of the defense because you trust your arm and you trust your decisions. Part of that is the way he was developed coming into the league, and then it got compounded by the injuries and the poundings he took. I don't think it's all lost though. Bradford can get pretty hot when he wants to, and he can build on his own confidence. Guys like Greg Cosell and Jaworski catalogued the guy's career up to this point and they've been pretty accurate with how they analyzed him - both mentally and physically. He's off to a good start this year though. If he can loosen up that arm and get a little bolder with the way he attacks the deep and middle zones, then he could have a pretty good year. I think he's put that skittishness behind him now that he knows his knee is holding up. JMO.