Linebacker: The biggest, perhaps only, concern for 2018 Rams

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Kevin

Pro Bowler
The only concern I have is injuries.

We may have a hard time sustaining wins in the playoffs with injuries to the following:

Goff
Gurley
Whitworth
Donald
Well, I think that goes for any team in the league. Lose your starting QB, lose your offensive and defensive PsOY and your starting left tackle...every team is going a lot of problems then.

Ram65

Legend
Rams Veteran LB'ers
Barron 28-6 (92 gms/ 81 starts) LBer leader ILB. starter
Wilson 25-4 (29 gms/17 starts) ILB
Hager 26-3 (48 gms/1 start) ILB
Longacre 26-3 (25 gms /2 starts) OLB starter
Littleton 24-2 (32 gms /5 starts) OLB/ILB {Special teams ace}
Thompson 26-2 (5 gms/ 1 start) OLB
Ebukam 22-1 (16 gms/2 starts) OLB starter

Rams rookie & 1st season LB;ers
Kiser 5th rd selection ILB starter
Okoronkwo 5th rd selection OLB
Young 6th rd selection OLB
Howard 6th rd selection ILB/OLB/SS
Price 7th rd selection OLB
Lawler 7th rd slection OLB
Sickels UDFA OLB
Scales UDFA ILB

Note:15 LB'er prospects signed @ this time appears to be a excellent LB'ing cadre to begin the 2018 season with. A outstanding blend of young veterans & youthful fresh skilled talent from college. I see no shortage of NFL gm experience here in this unit nor do I see any holes to speak of . I would say that with this abundance of talent this might end up being one of our better upcoming :lifting: units to this Ram team in 2019.

In addition normally the LB'ers will come off the field in order for Wade to insert his 4 passing DL'er cadre which is extremely talented along with the 5 to 6 DB's passing defense unit.

No concerns here(y)

I'm getting more concerned than most posters around here. The Rams have great players in front and behind the LBer Corp but, they still need to do their jobs. Barron is the only LBer with extensive experience. I'm not sold on Littleton or Hager (watch the Whiners highlights) taking over ILBer spot next to Barron. Kiser seems like a liability in coverage. We don't know if the late round picks can step up including the highly rated UDFA Tegrey Scales. Ramik Wilson has more experience and could contribute part time as DC Wade Phillips may be familiar with his play in the AFC West.

On the outside Longacre played 40% of snaps last year and hopefully is healthy after back surgery. Ebukam will be given first shot at the main reps at one spot. He did show promise playing part time with his 4.5 speed and strength. Ogoronkwo could be the key to having a solid rotation on the edge. He was a big favorite here at ROD but, he still has to show he is NFL ready.

The group consists of mostly young unproven players. The Rams could still be interested in adding a veteran presents to help out. As of right now things are still up in the air for me for the Rams LBer spots.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The group consists of mostly young unproven players. The Rams could still be interested in adding a veteran presents to help out. As of right now things are still up in the air for me for the Rams LBer spots.

You mean a veteran like Connor Barwin? He was such a big veteran plus in 2017, after all.

The thing is, all the vets still available have significant issues, either in playing ability going forward or wanting far more money than their skillsets warrant. Until the Rams are convinced that the backups from last year they like, and the rookies they drafted, can't do the job yet, they are unlikely to bring in any vet, unless he is willing to come at vet minimum or actually represents a clear upgrade. Otherwise, Wade is likely to take the kids and figure he can mold them into players he can use - as he has done repeatedly in the past.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Maybe I'm just a natural-born optimist but;
I really like where we're at with our linebackers.
There's no position on defense that relies on brains and just sacrificing your physical well-being and body by just putting 100% effort into every tackle.
I like these young reckless linebackers for that.

Ram65

Legend
You mean a veteran like Connor Barwin? He was such a big veteran plus in 2017, after all.

Not a Barwin fan.

The thing is, all the vets still available have significant issues, either in playing ability going forward or wanting far more money than their skillsets warrant. Until the Rams are convinced that the backups from last year they like, and the rookies they drafted, can't do the job yet, they are unlikely to bring in any vet, unless he is willing to come at vet minimum or actually represents a clear upgrade. Otherwise, Wade is likely to take the kids and figure he can mold them into players he can use - as he has done repeatedly in the past.

I just said the Rams could still be interested in adding a veteran presents. I wasn't pounding the table for one. The only two veteran LBers I know are Bowman and Junior Galette. I know Galette was getting pressures last year in Washington with an 82.4 PFF grade while Bowman had a PFF 84.8 grade last year. Those are both above average grades. Both have been on my radar and others since before the draft. Would I feel better if one or both were signed? Yes. These two could be reasonably priced at this point.

Look at the highlights from the Whiners game.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=36j_PxlzrNA

HellRam

Starter
I recall Hager being willing and able to attack the line of scrimmage, however, his speed incutting off lanes and angles of pursuit were below par. Backs seemed to blow by him easily. Does anyone recall differently?

I think Hager is a sleeper for the starting job next to Barron. Hager hasn't had much playing time but I remember being surpirsed at how well he played passing plays. Not the most atheltic guy but he appeared to read the play well and be in the right spot.

MarkMyWords

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Mark
Just an hour and a half ago I had a TV delivered, a Samsung 65" LED MU8000) from Best Buy. The main guy saw I had Ram stuff up and told me his little brother, Samson Ebukam, played for the Rams. I was a little hesitant to believe him so he showed me his drivers license though I didn't ask him too. I even took his picture which he liked. I'm on a roll since I also met Suh not too long ago. Never mind that I didn't believe it was him.)

He said his brother thought he did great filling in last year. I did ask if Samson thought he would be starting and his answer was that there are a lot of players competing for LB but he's hoping too. (paraphrasing) He obviously wasn't promised anything. Sorry that was it though it does show it's going to be one big competition. He was a little hard to understand with his accent but by the time he left I had him feeling like he was the celebrity.

Ebukams%20Older%20Brother%20May%207%202018_zpsuqlq6tuq.jpg

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg
At the end of the day, what this team really needs and hasn’t had since I can even recall, is a sure tackling mike LB, I’m really not sure if they’ve had one in the past 30-40 yrs, and no, London Fletcher wasn’t that guy, he may have resurrected his career post Rams but as I recall he was a miss tackling machine his last year with the Rams

I have to go as far back as Jim Collins ( before injuries derailed his career)

Am I missing somebody?

I hope one of these newbs can step up and BE that guy, cause I’m pretty sure “that guy” wasn’t on the roster last year

Last edited:

HellRam

Starter
No...no....Hagar can really run....I saw him at Baylor....he got some giddy-up

I'm just going by what I've seen during Hager's tenure as a Ram. He's made some good plays but nothing that stood out athletically.

I did check his combine numbers after your comment. Hager did run a 4.6 which is solid for a LB and it appears he has good burst. Now I did mention him as a sleeper for the ILB spot, so obviousy I think he can play the postion. That said I still don't think he's anything more then a average NFL talent at LB.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Hager's going to see a ton of action with the #1's early in TC. Depending how well he does of course will determine if he remains with the #1's. Some plus he has is he has been around since 2015 TC & pre season. Never missed a Ram game has 48 gms under his belt. He is a standout special teams performer who Bones likes. Even Gregg Williams like to insert Hager often down near the goal line as his 4th LB'er. Of our current interior LB'ers he has the most girth. But Hager is no thumper.

One of the main skills Hager possesses is a known good ability to quarterback of the defense. He did that for 3 season in college as Baylor MLB. When Hager came out this one sentence was repeated over & over "The defensive signal caller was known as a highly intelligent player who held the trust of his coaches and teammates." Hager also played behind James Laurinaitis for a season.

Now add Hager in with Barron inside ...Barron's natural nature is deadly silent running. How many long talkative interviews have see watched or listed too over the past seasons:whistle: :thinking:.....now you see my point here. Since the defense has so many new & young players added this off season ( six new starters on the defense) Wade may want to go with Hager longer than we think he should.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Barwin was almost a pass-rusher exclusively.
He didn't seem to contribute much in the run stoppage last year and that's where we really need to improve so I think that's why they feel comfortable with letting him go.

By adding Suh, we now have 3 defensive lineman that almost require double-teaming.
And all three have the ability to handle double-teaming which means one of the 3 will be breaking loose regularly.

If there's ever been an opportunity for our linebackers to make consistent plays for loss and for that linebacker who comes up to the line of scrimmage to make a play- this is it.

We have concentrated this professional linebacker group down to eight guys who will be given a very unique opportunity.
These linebackers made it this far because they are good.
When you add the coaching they are going to receive and the cornerbacks that are going to allow linebackers and defensive line more time to rush the passer - this is an amazing opportunity for these guys that I think they'll take advantage of.

dang

Legend
Hager's going to see a ton of action with the #1's early in TC. Depending how well he does of course will determine if he remains with the #1's. Some plus he has is he has been around since 2015 TC & pre season. Never missed a Ram game has 48 gms under his belt. He is a standout special teams performer who Bones likes. Even Gregg Williams like to insert Hager often down near the goal line as his 4th LB'er. Of our current interior LB'ers he has the most girth. But Hager is no thumper.

One of the main skills Hager possesses is a known good ability to quarterback of the defense. He did that for 3 season in college as Baylor MLB. When Hager came out this one sentence was repeated over & over "The defensive signal caller was known as a highly intelligent player who held the trust of his coaches and teammates." Hager also played behind James Laurinaitis for a season.

Now add Hager in with Barron inside ...Barron's natural nature is deadly silent running. How many long talkative interviews have see watched or listed too over the past seasons:whistle: :thinking:.....now you see my point here. Since the defense has so many new & young players added this off season ( six new starters on the defense) Wade may want to go with Hager longer than we think he should.
So it sounds like Hager has straight line speed but does he have the quickness to close off the running lanes and pursue a shifty fast back. I did not see that last year but he had limited action.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/football/news/rams-samson-ebukam-ready-for-starting-gig/

Rams' Samson Ebukam: Ready for starting gig
by RotoWire Staff

Ebukam is expected to step in as a starter for the Rams at outside linebacker in 2018, Vincent Bonsignore of the Los Angeles Daily News reports. The Rams' decision to trade Robert Quinn to Miami may have been buoyed by their belief that Ebukam, a 2017 fourth-round pick, is ready to step into a larger role on the outside.

Ebukam posted a 39-inch vertical leap and 4.50 40-yard dash while checking in at 240 pounds prior to last year's draft, and then compiled 31 tackles, two sacks and a forced fumble on 351 defensive snaps as a rookie.

The Rams likely want Ebukam to put on some weight, as the majority of 3-4 outside linebackers check in around 250-to-270 pounds. He'll have athleticism and opportunity both working in his favor this year.