Linebacker: The biggest, perhaps only, concern for 2018 Rams

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
http://www.espn.com/blog/los-angele...he-biggest-perhaps-only-concern-for-2018-rams

Linebacker: The biggest, perhaps only, concern for 2018 Rams

LOS ANGELES -- A Los Angeles Rams' offense that was among the NFL's best last season might be even better now, with Brandin Cooks joining the receiver group and Jared Goff potentially taking another step forward as a third-year quarterback. The defensive line, where Ndamukong Suh joins Aaron Donaldand Michael Brockers, looks flat-out scary. And the same can be said for the secondary, now that Aqib Talib and Marcus Peters have been added to a group that includes Lamarcus Joyner, John Johnson and Nickell Robey-Coleman.

The linebackers ... well, that's a different story.

The Rams upgraded elsewhere on their roster at the expense of this group. The salary-cap space now allocated for Cooks and Talib used to belong to outside linebacker Robert Quinn (traded to the Miami Dolphins) and inside linebacker Alec Ogletree (traded to the New York Giants). Two long-time fixtures on the Rams' defense are gone, as is Connor Barwin, an accomplished veteran who started on the left side last year and now remains unsigned as a free agent.

Heading into 2018, the Rams have what looks like three open spots at linebacker -- spots they will fill internally, either with former backups or recent mid- to late-round draft picks. The only returning starter in this group is inside linebacker Mark Barron, a potential cap casualty when the offseason began.

Below, we sorted through the candidates to play alongside him.

The favorites: Samson Ebukam and Matt Longacre played well while backing up Barwin and Quinn, respectively, last year. Cory Littleton, mostly an inside linebacker, was a star on special teams, blocking two punts. They all seem to have the inside track on starting roles heading into 2018, but will nonetheless have to earn their keep. Ebukam is an explosive athlete who profiled as a high-upside edge rusher coming out of Eastern Washington, but one who also needed some refinement. The Rams hope Year 2 is a big one for him. Undrafted out of Northwest Missouri State, Longacre's snap count went from 149 to 354 from 2016 to 2017, while switching from defensive end to mostly outside linebacker. He finished with 5.5 sacks in 230 snaps on the right side. Littleton, undrafted out of Washington, started in place of Barron in Week 16 against the Tennessee Titans and recorded a sack and an interception in the game that clinched a division title.

The incumbents: For outside linebacker, the Rams also have Ejuan Price (a seventh-round pick last year), Garrett Sickels(undrafted in 2017) and Carlos Thompson (undrafted in 2015). Those three have combined for 87 defensive snaps in the NFL. Wade Phillips likes to rotate his outside linebackers, so that total might increase significantly this coming season. That isn't necessarily the case at inside linebacker; at least not with Barron and Ogletree, who typically played every snap when healthy. Bryce Hager, a seventh-round pick in 2015, was Ogletree's backup as the defensive signal-caller last year. Ramik Wilson, a fourth-round pick in 2015, was signed over the offseason after the Kansas City Chiefs declined to tender him a contract as a restricted free agent. Wilson started 17 games from 2015 to 2017, so he has far more experience than anybody else in this group.

The rookies: The Rams added four players who could join the mix during a 2018 draft that didn't include a single pick in the first two rounds. Two names to pay close attention to here are Micah Kiser out of Virginia and Obo Okoronkwo out of Oklahoma, both of whom were fifth-round selections. Okoronkwo was deemed the Rams' best pick by ESPN draft analyst Todd McShay. He might not have the physical attributes of an elite edge rusher, but he is considered a sound all-around player with a good motor. Kiser, meanwhile, is coming off a solid collegiate career that saw him compile 33.5 tackles for loss, 19 sacks, 12 passes defended and eight forced fumbles in 37 games from 2015 to 2017. He could be a good asset against the run, a major issue for the Rams up the middle last season. The Rams also selected outside linebacker Trevon Young (sixth round) and inside linebacker Travin Howard(seventh).

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
hmmmmm

I'd guess Samson is ready for a breakout year....Hope Longacre is healthy.....and I want to see what Thompson brings this year...

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Survivor Champion
I'm actually excited to see Ebukam and Longacre can do with full time starting duties. I feel pretty good with Obo and Price backing them up. Not too worried about ILB either with Barron and, likely, Kiser manning the middle. Really like Littleton also, who always played well when given a chance last year. Let's not forget the hogs they have in front of them too, making all their jobs a bit easier. Not to mention the star studded secondary. Very much looking forward to this season!

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
There are good reasons why Quinn, Ogletree and Barwin are gone. Quinn was a one trick pony, useless dropping back in coverage and often outrushed his containment on runs to his side. Ogletree had trouble getting off blockers, took bad angles, made bad reads and missed too many tackles. Barwin was just plain slow.

Rams awesome DL is going to really make a difference for the emerging LB's

With so many new faces, Wade wanting to play more man to man, the dynamics have changed for lLB and edge rushers. I expect the rush pressure to come from up the middle and edge to be more able to contain the outside rush and be more able to cover RB's and TE's. Wade will have his work cut out for him sorting out who is best at what, and what player combination works best together in game situations.

I expect to see some different looks on D, and a lot of substituting. Really going to be a very competitive group at LB. Barron looks to be the only safe starter, that is, if he gets completely healed.

I also expect a couple of new faces that emerge, excel, and become important pieces to Wade's D.

We won't miss TruJo, Quinn, Tree or Barwin.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I think that the linebacker depth chart sorts itself out like this:

ILB - Barron, Littleton, Kiser, Scales
OLB - Ebukam, Longacre, Okoronkwo, Price, Young.

(Howard moves back to strong safety.)

dang

Legend
How about Junior Gillette? At least for a training camp look. Still banging that drum.

André

Always far too invested
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think that the linebacker depth chart sorts itself out like this:

ILB - Barron, Littleton, Kiser, Scales
OLB - Ebukam, Longacre, Okoronkwo, Price, Young.

(Howard moves back to strong safety.)

I'd be ok with this. I suspect they keep Wilson over Price, but other than that ...

SeminoleRam

Pro Bowler
Name
PaceRam
Am I being way too excited/optimistic about Micah Kiser? Personally, I think he will be a great addition to the Rams Defense and a future All-Pro!!!

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
There are good reasons why Quinn, Ogletree and Barwin are gone. Quinn was a one trick pony, useless dropping back in coverage and often outrushed his containment on runs to his side. Ogletree had trouble getting off blockers, took bad angles, made bad reads and missed too many tackles. Barwin was just plain slow.
I agree with all these criticisms. However, on the plus side:

Quinn was and still can be a gifted pass rusher. Quinn was a big factor in the last five games. Ogletree was inconsistent, but when he was “on,” he forced turnovers and showed his elite athleticism. And Barwin was a savvy vet, a leader who did plenty of little things to help us win games.

For Ogletree and Quinn, I’d have to think that their salaries were the biggest issue in trading them.

Anyway, I fully expect that our D will be improved this year— I’m glad we spent our money on Peters and Talib instead of on Ogletree and Quinn.

But can Kiser and Littleton replace Ogletree? And can Longacre or Obo or Thompson replace Quinn? (IMHO Ebukam in his 2nd year will be an upgrade over an aging Barwin).

Yes, I hope so. I’m just saying, for me, Ogletree and Quinn were not only high-level athletes, they were experienced vets. The new young guys might have some growing pains.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
A lot of questions at linebacker. Mainly due to inexperience. There is one thing in their favor though. With an elite line in front of them they'll likely have one on one matchups when rushing the passer. If they can get enough pressure on the outside, QB's will have more difficulty stepping up in the pocket with AD and Suh penetrating.

Then there's that elite secondary where the pass rushers might get an extra second or two to get to the QB.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Am I being way too excited/optimistic about Micah Kiser? Personally, I think he will be a great addition to the Rams Defense and a future All-Pro!!!

Boy, I really hope you are right, but I have serious doubts about Kiser.

I got excited at first when I heard something about him being second in tackles to Luke Kuechly in college. But, when I looked it up and saw that the majority of Kuechly's tackles were solo tackles and majority of Kiser's tackles were assisted tackles and that Kuechly still bested him by quite a bit, my excitement waned.

And it went down from there when I watched his clips. He physical and looks good blitzing. But, best I can tell, he seems to play slower than he times and looks like anything outside of the tackle box may be an issue. Basically, he seems like just a two down, in the box, run stuffer who will probably be a significant liability vs. the pass. Right now, I'd be afraid if he's on the field anytime outside of short yardage/goal line situations and/or there wasn't a FB in the game. I hope he proves me wrong.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Can't help but to wonder if Bryce Hager might be ready to step up this offseason. Even though, like Ogletree he probably would be better off manning the same position Barron plays.

And I kinda hope someone besides Littleton steps up as he's seems to be too valuable to lose on special teams.

BTW, isn't it sort of interesting the Rams run a 3-4 defense, but seem to have the same number of DLinemen and Linebackers on the roster? I thought there would be more LBs.

Last edited:

dang

Legend
Can't help but to wonder if Bryce Hager might be ready to step up this offseason. Even though, like Ogletree he probably would be better off manning the same position Barron plays.

And I kinda hope someone besides Littleton steps up as he's seems to be too valuable to lose on special teams.

BTW, isn't it sort of interesting the Rams run a 3-4 defense, but seem to have the same number of DLinemen and Linebackers on the roster? I thought there would be more LBs.
I recall Hager being willing and able to attack the line of scrimmage, however, his speed incutting off lanes and angles of pursuit were below par. Backs seemed to blow by him easily. Does anyone recall differently?

dolphinlover123

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think the only question is a matter of who. I’m excited to see how this position evolves throughout the season.

TexasRam

Legend
The only concern I have is injuries.

We may have a hard time sustaining wins in the playoffs with injuries to the following:

Goff
Gurley
Whitworth
Donald

Or any of these pairs of two:

Saffold and Brown
Talib and Peters
Kupp and Woods
Suh and Brockers

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
A lot of questions at linebacker. Mainly due to inexperience. There is one thing in their favor though. With an elite line in front of them they'll likely have one on one matchups when rushing the passer. If they can get enough pressure on the outside, QB's will have more difficulty stepping up in the pocket with AD and Suh penetrating.

Then there's that elite secondary where the pass rushers might get an extra second or two to get to the QB.

The saying used to go "strong up the middle" meaning defenses had to be hard to beat in the middle.

These days IMO it's better to be strong up front on the DL and in the defensive backfield. It's a different game and making the QB uncomfortable and unsure is the best defense.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Rams Veteran LB'ers
Barron 28-6 (92 gms/ 81 starts) LBer leader ILB. starter
Wilson 25-4 (29 gms/17 starts) ILB
Hager 26-3 (48 gms/1 start) ILB
Longacre 26-3 (25 gms /2 starts) OLB starter
Littleton 24-2 (32 gms /5 starts) OLB/ILB {Special teams ace}
Thompson 26-2 (5 gms/ 1 start) OLB
Ebukam 22-1 (16 gms/2 starts) OLB starter

Rams rookie & 1st season LB;ers
Kiser 5th rd selection ILB starter
Ogoronkwo 5th rd selection OLB
Young 6th rd selection OLB
Howard 6th rd selection ILB/OLB/SS
Price 7th rd selection OLB
Lawler 7th rd slection OLB
Sickels UDFA OLB
Scales UDFA ILB

Note:15 LB'er prospects signed @ this time appears to be a excellent LB'ing cadre to begin the 2018 season with. A outstanding blend of young veterans & youthful fresh skilled talent from college. I see no shortage of NFL gm experience here in this unit nor do I see any holes to speak of . I would say that with this abundance of talent this might end up being one of our better upcoming :lifting: units to this Ram team in 2019.

In addition normally the LB'ers will come off the field in order for Wade to insert his 4 passing DL'er cadre which is extremely talented along with the 5 to 6 DB's passing defense unit.

No concerns here(y)

Last edited:

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd
hmmmmm

I'd guess Samson is ready for a breakout year....Hope Longacre is healthy.....and I want to see what Thompson brings this year...

My feelings as well.
I think the 2nd year of Ebukem is a big key. I was excited about the pick last year, but injuries in camp put him behind; otherwise he might have gone the same route as JJ3 and displaced Barwin during the season as a starter. He played pretty well last year and if he makes the big 2nd year jump...

If Longacre is healthy and can handle the starting reps, that bodes well for OhOh as a situational guy. That would be the best case scenario, IMO.

As much as I dig Littleton (one of my favorite Rams), I don't see him starting next to Barron. He's the guy to replace Barron. That opens up the middle for a great camp battle. Here's hoping Kiser is a major steal and steps right in. The more starters on a rookie contract, the better.

WestCoastRam

Legend
I don't see Kiser earning a full-time starting role but think he might be there when we're in base 3-4. I think it's Littleton's spot in nickel. The caveat is that I don't know who calls the defensive signals in that scenario.

Edit: Basically, I'd be shocked if any of our draft picks earn full-time starting roles by week one without an injury to hold-overs. But, I think they'll definitely be in there on sub packages. I just don't see any one of these guys being good enough to do it all in all packages.