Kyle Shanahan coming in for a visit

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Memphis Ram

Legend
If hired this might mean that Kirk Cousins comes into play as Bradford's competition.

Last edited:

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
J-ville? NFC South? Stability at QB position? Where is this magical J-ville?????

Damn... I was thinking of Carolina... Nevermind.

Anyway, the AFC South is almost as suspect and Greg Roman's offense would do well there. Plus, he's used to running against a 3-4 since the 9ers ran it so he practiced against it every day.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Shanahan is a perfect fit for Bradford. Always felt Bradford would do best in a Shanahan scheme. I'm not sure Robinson is such a great fit for a ZBS.

The thing I worry most about an offensive change over is Quick. It took him 3 years to learn Schottenhiemer's offense. Can he quickly learn a new one? He was our best player when healthy. I'm hoping he comes back as strong in 2015.

Schottenheimers offense has been known as a very difficult one to learn. Maybe a new OC can teach his new system more efficiently or just have an easier system to understand.

I do not think that Saffold, Barksdale and Robinson are best suited for zone blocking scheme though.

WestCoastRam

Legend
Yeah, I think the "tape's in" on Hoyer and Cousins. Unless they drastically change the way they play the game, their tendencies are widely known to the NFL and they can't shock anyone with their play.

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
It gives us an in with Cousins or Hoyer as the "competition" to Bradford.
I like it, because both those guys are better than Hill and Davis.

WestCoastRam

Legend
I'm not a huge fan of Kyle Shanahan and I think zone-blocking on the oline would require us to stick the round pegs up Robinson, Saffold and Barksdale in square holes but... I think that his micromanaging of QBs may actually benefit a healthy Bradford. Sometimes I don't know that his instincts are the greatest and I suspect that Shanahan would rather have a robot at QB with no instincts.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Or Hoyer, who's better than Cousins and won't cost draft picks in trade since he's a FA.
Really don't like either of them and think they would be a waste of time and energy

FRO

Legend
Watch the Baltimore offense today. It's the Shanahan offense. A very good offense that has been very successful.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Whoever the new OC is needs to be here for more than 1 year. I would prefer something like a 5 year deal along with the rest of the staff, Bradford and a new QB to be developed (not someone else's castoff).

Give me some continuity in the staff to grow with this young talent.

FRO

Legend
Whoever the new OC is needs to be here for more than 1 year. I would prefer something like a 5 year deal along with the rest of the staff, Bradford and a new QB to be developed (not someone else's castoff).

Give me some continuity in the staff to grow with this young talent.
If whoever we hire turns this offense around and we make the playoffs, they will be the hot OC.

FRO

Legend
It is a good offense, I'm not sure Shanahan is good at IT, though.
Look at his track record and where his offenses have ranked. He has a pretty solid track record. Did well in Cleveland despite missing his number 1 receiver, his all pro C and having no legitimate QB option.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
If whoever we hire turns this offense around and we make the playoffs, they will be the hot OC.
A hot OC yes but that doesn't mean leaving. One of the things I'd ask for in the interview process is a commitment to the team not just himself. Get someone who wants to be part of a winning franchise building and sustaining the team, not just looking for a steppingstone in his career.

FRO

Legend
A hot OC yes but that doesn't mean leaving. One of the things I'd ask for in the interview process is a commitment to the team not just himself. Get someone who wants to be part of a winning franchise building and sustaining the team, not just looking for a steppingstone in his career.
Good luck finding that guy. The only guys that would be committed to the team are failed head coaches like Linehan or Turner. Most coaches want to be the main guy.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Good luck finding that guy. The only guys that would be committed to the team are failed head coaches like Linehan or Turner. Most coaches want to be the main guy.
Or someone who knows what they are good at and wants to be with a winning franchise. Not everyone is an ego-maniac.

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
I can totally see Shanny Jr getting the gig. From one son of a former coach to another. Nepotism is alive and well in the NFL.

I would kind of see him wanting to see if his dad gets a gig, but can't pass on a job is he's offered one...

FRO

Legend
Or someone who knows what they are good at and wants to be with a winning franchise. Not everyone is an ego-maniac.
Give me an example of a guy who has declined HC roles to stay as a coordinator. I can't think of anybody off the top of my head.