Kyle Shanahan coming in for a visit

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Athos

Legend
Shanahan is a perfect fit for Bradford. Always felt Bradford would do best in a Shanahan scheme. I'm not sure Robinson is such a great fit for a ZBS.

The thing I worry most about an offensive change over is Quick. It took him 3 years to learn Schottenhiemer's offense. Can he quickly learn a new one? He was our best player when healthy. I'm hoping he comes back as strong in 2015.

W/E the system, keep Britt and I think Quick makes offensive changes much easier. And, as has been noted by other members, BS's system is foolishly difficult on WRs.

Mmmm. Curious still. I'm still of the thought that the OC we nail down, directly impacts the QB competition for Sam.

lockdnram21

Legend
Yeah, but at the same time he would be going to a place where he knows he gets along with the HC and organization (assuming that Fisher has a good relationship with him, they've known each other for some time). With the Browns and a lot of other organizations he's not sure and wasn't sure how the relationship aspect with the FO and other coaches will or would turn out, and as we've seen with Harbaugh friendly relationships with your other coaches and FO are important.

And it's not like we don't have offensive talent. We really do. I think as far as the talent aspect and the working conditions aspect are concerned, this might be the best place for him.
we dont have a Qb and i dont want hear we got Bradford imo hes a unknown at this point

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
we dont have a Qb and i dont want hear we got Bradford imo hes a unknown at this point

Either way, we're going to be making a move in some form to get a starting caliber QB to compete with Bradford. Fisher has stated this. The position will be addressed.

lockdnram21

Legend
Either way, we're going to be making a move in some form to get a starting caliber QB to compete with Bradford. Fisher has stated this. The position will be addressed.
Yea but i would think he would want one of the jobs with qb set

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...esignation-of-shanahan-departure-of-loggains/

Browns announce resignation of Shanahan, departure of Loggains
Posted by Mike Florio on January 10, 2015

shanahan.jpg
AP

The offseason dysfunction in Cleveland was operating on a one-week delay.

Just when it seemed that a team desperately in need of continuity would finally be getting some, the Browns officially are looking for a new offensive coordinator and a new quarterbacks coach. The Browns have announced that offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan has resigned, and that quarterbacks coach Dowell Loggains will not return.

“After conversations with Kyle this week we’ve determined that it would be in the best interest of the Cleveland Browns that he pursue other opportunities and we have accepted his resignation,” coach Mike Pettine said. “In Dowell’s case, it was a difficult decision but one that we felt we had to make. We wish them both well. Our focus quickly turns to finding an outstanding coach to lead our offense and I am confident we will bring in highly qualified individuals to help us develop, improve, and achieve the success we are all seeking. I look forward to working with the staff as we go through this process to bring in coaches committed to helping the Cleveland Browns lay a strong foundation to take our offense to a consistently high level in the 2015 season and beyond.”

While not characterized as a mutual parting, it appears that the Browns will not be preventing Shanahan from pursuing other work. Normally, a resignation means that the assistant coach could be blocked from accepting employment elsewhere.

Meanwhile, the release announcing Shanahan’s departure includes a confusing quote from the former coordinator.

“I appreciate the opportunity Mike Pettine, [G.M.] Ray Farmer and [owner] Jimmy Haslam gave me to lead the Browns Offense in 2014,” Shanahan said. “The Browns organization is committed to improvement and winning. I regret how the inner workings of the organization were represented publicly over the last few days. Ray and Mike both have the work ethic, experience and talent to work together to turn this organization into a winner. In light of the circumstances, I have decided to resign. I’m grateful for my time with the Browns and wish them great success going forward.”

So everything is great, and they’re doing what they have to do, and all things considered, I am getting the hell out of here?

From the moment the Browns drafted Johnny Manziel (after he sent a “come get me” text to Loggains), it was clear that Shanahan and Manziel wouldn’t mix. Shanahan is a joystick coach, micromanaging the quarterback through every step, hitch, read, and throw. Manziel is the exact opposite of that, a button-mashing cluster of commands that (at the college level) somehow led to good things.

As to the “inner workings” of the organization, one specific leak regarding texts sent from upstairs to the sidelines during games about play calls has sparked a league investigation, since such communications are prohibited. The Browns would have been smart to secure a signed agreement from Shanahan and Loggains to not share any other information regarding the “inner workings” they witnessed over the past year. Otherwise, there could be a very interesting streams of reports from unnamed sources about the bizarre things that happened with Manziel in the house.

Of course, even if Shanahan and/or Loggains signed confidentiality agreements, there’s still nothing that prevents them from being anonymous sources, if they trust the reporters to keep their mouths shut.

FRO

Legend
What OC job has a settled QB position and a HC already in place. These coaches are playing musical chairs. They want to grab one before they all get filled.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay

If a team is looking for an OC, they likely don't have a QB set. There might be a team now with a QB and a need at OC, but it's not as common as having a need at both.

Pancake

Hall of Fame
Name
Ernie
Am I the only no good varmint, who is tired of hiring peoples kids?

Might as well hire Sean Lennon to perform at all the home game, half time shows, while they are at it.

RamBill

Legend
Rams seek interviews with Kyle Shanahan, Greg Roman
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-ra...seek-interviews-with-kyle-shanahan-greg-roman

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- The St. Louis Rams have officially dived into the pool of available offensive coordinator candidates.

According to ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter, the Rams have requested permission to interview in-limbo San Francisco 49ers offensive coordinator Greg Roman and former Cleveland Browns offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan for their open offensive coordinator position. Neither name should come as much of a surprise, and both occupied spots on the initial list I posted after Brian Schottenheimer departed for Georgia's offensive coordinator position.

Shanahan has close ties to Rams coach Jeff Fisher. Mike Shanahan and Fisher are close friends, and Kyle is Mike's son. Fisher and Kyle Shanahan have known each other for a long time, and Shanahan would be a fit philosophically for what Fisher wants his offense to be.

After Shanahan asked out of his contract with the Browns this week, his name immediately popped up in a variety of places. He interviewed for the Buffalo Bills head coaching job on Thursday, and his name has been brought up as the likely coordinator choice for Seattle defensive coordinator Dan Quinn, should Quinn land a head coaching job, which seems most likely in San Francisco or with the New York Jets. In other words, the Rams figure to have plenty of competition for Shanahan's services should Fisher want to bring him on board.

As for Roman, he might be the candidate that makes the most sense from a pure football perspective. He is well respected by Rams defenders, who have tried to defend his running game in recent years, and his offense's success with the ground game and lack of turnovers would seem to appeal to Fisher's preferred offensive approach. Roman's San Francisco offenses have finished in the top four in rushing in each of the past four season. It also doesn't hurt than Roman is familiar with the NFC West and would be able to hit the ground running in terms of preparation for games against Seattle, San Francisco and Arizona.

Like with Shanahan, the Rams face plenty of competition for Roman. He's technically still under contract with the 49ers, but after Jim Harbaugh's departure, San Francisco has allowed Roman to explore other opportunities. He's already interviewed for Tampa Bay's vacancy (since filled by Dirk Koetter), the Buffalo head coaching position, and is scheduled to interview for Jacksonville's coordinator opening on Saturday. Cleveland has also sought an interview with Roman.

But it's possible Roman might never make it out of Jacksonville. His ties to Jaguars general manager Dave Caldwell run deep, as the pair were teammates and roommates at John Carroll University.

Fisher has generally moved slower on such hires, but with names like Shanahan and Roman drawing plenty of interest elsewhere, it's possible something could materialize faster this time around.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder

Might as well hire Sean Lennon to perform at all the home game, half time shows, while they are at it.

It's only commies and rouge political regimes that intentionally block people due to their hereditary traits from their fathers -- who are great

I think this country is all about standing on the shoulders of giants. These kids have grown up with football, the NFL, and it is really easy to trust they understand the culture and professional working environment over let's say a college coach, etc... I think it has to do with genetics man, and environment - a perfect blend. Not necessarily nepotism.

But I am a varmint too cause when I see these hirings I bothers me a little -- but I think why is that I realize my dad wasn't good at anything...
I mean, all he passed down to me is an irritable nature i've worked hard to overcome over the years - so seeing all these kids of famous coaches just peels off the scab of my loss at genetic roulette

No Sean Lennon - I agree
But maybe Julian?

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQs1Ynq0rlk

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
W/E the system, keep Britt and I think Quick makes offensive changes much easier. And, as has been noted by other members, BS's system is foolishly difficult on WRs.

Mmmm. Curious still. I'm still of the thought that the OC we nail down, directly impacts the QB competition for Sam.
Shanahan and Hoyer?
I would welcome that

I think the Browns have to keep Hoyer now that JF has proven his complete incompetence.

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
The one thing that I like about Shanahan, is that he seems to be able to adapt his system to whoever is playing QB. He came to Washington, and made a new offense just for RGme, and he did well in it, and then after he got hurt, he ran a much more traditional offense with Kirk Cousins at the helm. Then he even made Brian Hoyer look good in Cleveland.

I think he could do well with whomever ends up playing QB here this season.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave

Funny thing is that it isn't just coaches, but players too.

StevenG-BR

Rookie
mmm kind of indifferent toward KS

Why?

Three top-5 offenses and four top-10 offenses in his six year as an OC. Never finished below 18th.

With Schotty, we got no tangible results. Just excuses and explanations as to why the O wasn't getting done...which is pretty much his whole career.

Here we have a guy with real results, with multiple teams. This would be a phenomenal hire.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
I think Shanahan gets the position. Just have a feeling. I think Roman likely goes to J-ville where he'll FINALLY have some stability at the QB position and his offense would wreck in the NFC South... just wreck.

The fact that Shanahan is in demand means that Fisher would have to move fast that I like that better. He's in the building sooner which is good because in this draft/FA season, QB's on the menu...

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
I think Shanahan gets the position. Just have a feeling. I think Roman likely goes to J-ville where he'll FINALLY have some stability at the QB position and his offense would wreck in the NFC South... just wreck.

The fact that Shanahan is in demand means that Fisher would have to move fast that I like that better. He's in the building sooner which is good because in this draft/FA season, QB's on the menu...
J-ville? NFC South? Stability at QB position? Where is this magical J-ville?????