Keenum may have good day passing against the Panthers

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Hey Man

Starter
Name
Hey Man
From what I have been reading in Fantasy , the Panthers secondary has been giving up a lot ( 1400 yards and 9 touchdowns in 7 games to wide receivers ). I know it's fantasy but the fact still remains if we get production from our wide outs possibly Gurley can get some run game going against a stout defensive front .

tbux

Rookie
This game could go so many ways. I could see a game where both defenses dominate and we have a low scoring game decided most likely by turnovers- or a scenario where both teams score a ton through the air as both secondaries are vulnerable. We will find out sunday!

Relwolf91

Starter
Name
Sean
It depends how our O-line holds up, the panthers destroyed the cardinals at the line of scrimmage last week.

RamzFanz

Damnit
This game could go so many ways. I could see a game where both defenses dominate and we have a low scoring game decided most likely by turnovers- or a scenario where both teams score a ton through the air as both secondaries are vulnerable. We will find out sunday!

I guess saying our secondary is vulnerable is reasonable, but not at the level of the Panthers.

They've held together pretty well, even without Tru and a dominant D line.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
He could also get wrecked. That defense is no joke, despite their porous secondary.
His best hope is that Gurley gets his ass in gear this week.

RamzFanz

Damnit
It depends how our O-line holds up, the panthers destroyed the cardinals at the line of scrimmage last week.

This.

The Panthers D line is dominating. The Rams have been pretty fair at pass protection but not against the likes of this.

Also, where Gurley goes, so go the Rams, IMHO. Keenum is likely to have slightly more than zero seconds to release the ball if Gurley's not eating yards on the ground.

(or Tavon or Cunningham or all of them)

But yes, their secondary most definitely is their soft spot.

Last edited:

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
As usual it well all boil down to " Trench-Warfare":lifting:! The Team with the Best O-line and Best D-Line will Win! I like the Rams Chances against the 30th ranked Pass D!:snicker: I think the Rams can use the Pass to open up the Run game in this one!(y);):D

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
From what I have been reading in Fantasy
I had to laugh...Seriously, the Panthers D hasn't performed up to expectations...until they kinda woke up...Lots of sacks, although Palmer had a bunch of yards & td passes...

Keenum just needs to improve...and take care of the ball in the 4th quarter.

This will be a very physical game...I'd use Benny, Malcolm, and Todd

Hey Man

Starter
Name
Hey Man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I had to laugh...Seriously, the Panthers D hasn't performed up to expectations...until they kinda woke up...Lots of sacks, although Palmer had a bunch of yards & td passes...

Keenum has to play better in the 4th is key and also trying to get on the score board early and get a lead so it doesn't have to come down to the last drive to win or keep from losing the game . At least be up by 2 possessions with less than 2 minutes left in the game .

Hey Man

Starter
Name
Hey Man

Physical game , I agree , changing up the back field could could mix things up with change of pace backs and keep fresh legs as long as they sustaine drives.

Hey Man

Starter
Name
Hey Man
So , do you guys think this may be like playing against Seattle or Cardinals defence .

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Rams should win if the don't turn the ball over. Rams have the better kicking game and should keep the Panthers starting deep in their own territory. Hekker is having another pro bowl year. Probably comes down to whoever turns the ball over the most.

SamMills51

UDFA
Hey all. I'm indeed a Panthers fan, and look forward to discussing football with you all this week. This game is crucial for the Panthers and Rams, and I'm expecting a decent fight from both sides!

Here's my thoughts on the Panthers defense:

To be granted, the Panthers have had their starting cornerbacks injured for most of the season. The Panthers had Zach Sanchez (5th round pick, cut and placed on PS; one week before Saints game, promoted and deemed starter) and Teddy Williams (Special Teams only guy last year, made a horrid amount of penalties) starting a game, which is a recipe for disaster.

Leonard Johnson looked good for his first start on the Panthers, and so did Worley. With Bradberry coming back (He's our best corner, been out a while, but for a rookie has been doing a heck of a good job; had gotten the best rating for a corner one week.), there's much optimism for the corner situation.

However, our safeties are sub-par, which is what has been the achilles heel of our secondary imo. Kurt Coleman can't do it alone without a Vet presence, and missed communication mistakes from the safeties cost us a lot. Tre Boston is not starter material safety, although he's good at blitzing.

What it really comes down to is whether our D-Line will create the pressure it did against the Cardinals. The subtle change of rotating Charles Johnson and Kony Ealy on LDE instead of having both of them start is huge. Ealy played his best from the LDE position, which was his Superbowl position where he gained 3 sacks, and Charles Johnson is not an every down DE anymore. RDE has Horton, who's good at support, and Addison for pass situations.

Our DT's have had some change in rotation from what I heard, and different people are put in at different times, allowing Star and KK to shine. If KK can prove he still has some steam when the Rams (probably) focus on Star, then well it'll be tough for Keenum. If our D-Line regresses to pre bye-week mode, expect Keenum to have a good game.

SamMills51

UDFA
Rams should win if the don't turn the ball over. Rams have the better kicking game and should keep the Panthers starting deep in their own territory. Hekker is having another pro bowl year. Probably comes down to whoever turns the ball over the most.

I will say our punter, Andy Lee, is a monster. He's pinned down opponents deep on many occasions, the only reason stats look bad is because our defense cannot tackle to save their life on STs. He's been the high point for many during our 1-5 stretch, and he will pin you down. It'll be interesting to see how everything churns around that area this go around.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Hey all. I'm indeed a Panthers fan, and look forward to discussing football with you all this week. This game is crucial for the Panthers and Rams, and I'm expecting a decent fight from both sides!

To be granted, the Panthers have had their starting cornerbacks injured for most of the season. The Panthers had Zach Sanchez (5th round pick, cut and placed on PS; one week before Saints game, promoted and deemed starter) and Teddy Williams (Special Teams only guy last year, made a horrid amount of penalties) starting a game, which is a recipe for disaster.

Leonard Johnson looked good for his first start on the Panthers, and so did Worley. With Bradberry coming back (He's our best corner, been out a while, but for a rookie has been doing a heck of a good job; had gotten the best rating for a corner one week.), there's much optimism for the corner situation.

However, our safeties are sub-par, which is what has been the achilles heel of our secondary imo. Kurt Coleman can't do it alone without a Vet presence, and missed communication mistakes from the safeties cost us a lot. Tre Boston is not starter material safety, although he's good at blitzing.

What it really comes down to is whether our D-Line will create the pressure it did against the Cardinals. The subtle change of rotating Charles Johnson and Kony Ealy on LDE instead of having both of them start is huge. Ealy played his best from the LDE position, which was his Superbowl position where he gained 3 sacks, and Charles Johnson is not an every down DE anymore. RDE has Horton, who's good at support, and Addison for pass situations.

Our DT's have had some change in rotation from what I heard, and different people are put in at different times, allowing Star and KK to shine. If KK can prove he still has some steam when the Rams (probably) focus on Star, then well it'll be tough for Keenum. If our D-Line regresses to pre bye-week mode, expect Keenum to have a good game.
Welcome aboard, dude.

The only thing I'm worried about is stopping Newton on the ground. If I was Gregg Williams, the first thing I would do is kiss myself because I'm awesome. The second thing I would do is gameplan around keeping him in the pocket and bringing constant pressure up the middle (via stunts and blitzes) with Quinn and Hayes forcing him to step up. Or Donald coming off the edge with Quinn rifling through the A-gaps. At this point in Cam's season, I would want to make him beat me through the air and not give him even one chance to break loose on the ground. This, to me, seems like a game where the defense keys on the run while blitzing the passer.

Offensively it's all about stretching the defense early to give Gurley a chance to get on track. Keenum, despite all his shortcomings, is actually very good at working the deep zones. Counting on Bradberry being rusty with the time off, and Worley not making it into the game this week. The objective would have to be about getting out in front with a lead and letting our D play to its strengths. Hoping for an injury free game and a shellacking of your kitty cats.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave

Getting a bunch of Sacks/ Hits on Palmer is no Big thing! The Rams do it regularly to the Cards QB's!!:rolllaugh:

Hey Man

Starter
Name
Hey Man
Welcome aboard, dude.

The only thing I'm worried about is stopping Newton on the ground. If I was Gregg Williams, the first thing I would do is kiss myself because I'm awesome. The second thing I would do is gameplan around keeping him in the pocket and bringing constant pressure up the middle (via stunts and blitzes) with Quinn and Hayes forcing him to step up. Or Donald coming off the edge with Quinn rifling through the A-gaps. At this point in Cam's season, I would want to make him beat me through the air and not give him even one chance to break loose on the ground. This, to me, seems like a game where the defense keys on the run while blitzing the passer.

Offensively it's all about stretching the defense early to give Gurley a chance to get on track. Keenum, despite all his shortcomings, is actually very good at working the deep zones. Counting on Bradberry being rusty with the time off, and Worley not making it into the game this week. The objective would have to be about getting out in front with a lead and letting our D play to its strengths. Hoping for an injury free game and a shellacking of your kitty cats.
So , defensively , we play the Panthers offense like we would when we play against Seattle .

Hey Man

Starter
Name
Hey Man

Welcome aboard .