Just reminding everyone that Goff is better than Wentz in nearly every statistical category

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Adi

Pro Bowler
Name
Adi
I think both will be great , and represent the future of the nfl

I' just excited to see how they play against one another ! How will they handle that pressure that 2 of the top defenses bring ?

Can't wait !

KDS73

Rookie
Given the chance now, I doubt there's a single coach or GM who would choose Goff over Wentz. Wentz's intangibles are just through the roof, and he's already playing like a stud qb in just his 2nd season. He's putting up some numbers that only compare with names like Brady, Rodgers, and Peyton. That being said, if Goff goes on to be a franchise qb, then' he'll have proven himself worthy of a #1 draft pick.

Last edited:

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I love my quarterback, but you're forgetting an important "stat". 10-1 compared to 8-3.
Which might be relevant if they played the same schedule, traveled the same and wins was only de iced by a QB.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
IMO Carson Wentz is perfect for the Eagles & Jared Goff is a perfect for the LA Rams.

Win win for both teams who look to have struck GOLD in the QB position mine in 2016 draft. In addition the Vikings fell into a Church Rummage sale discovery with Case Keenum too......

Given the chance now, I doubt there's a single coach or GM who would choose Goff over Wentz. Wentz's intangibles are just through the roof, and he's already playing like a stud qb in just his 2nd season. He's putting up some numbers that only compare with names like Brady, Rodgers, and Peyton. That being said, if Goff goes on to be a franchise qb, then' he'll have proven himself worthy of a #1 draft pick.
If Kupp can squeeze that ball against the Seahawks, wouldn't you be saying Goff's intangibles are through the roof? Wentz's only game-winning drive this year came with a 61-yard field goal against the Giants. I'd say Goff's near GWD against the healthy Seahawks was more impressive. And as for whom coaches/GMs would choose, Wentz's improvisational abilities certainly give him another dimension, but he does have a windup. He can't match Goff's ability to drop back, hit that back foot and fire in a rhythm-based offense.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
And hilariously the browns missed out on both (I mean they could have traded up to one for Goff or stayed out for Wentz )

When you think about the Titans could have swung an extra deal and ended up with more picks. Could gave traded down 1 spot to Cleveland for a future #1 & #2.... then at the 2nd spot traded down again and likely would haave had a bidding war between the Rams and Eagles. Could have walked away with crap load of picks.

Yet, when you think about it, if Goif/Wentz end up being Brady/Manning like... while Marriota becomes Andy Dalton in terms of production... then even then all those picks can't make up the difference.

KDS73

Rookie
Which might be relevant if they played the same schedule, traveled the same and wins was only de iced by a QB.

Both QB's have faced a couple of top 5 defenses this season. Goff against the Jags and Vikes (#1 & #5), and Wentz against the Panthers and Broncos (#2 & #3). I don't think anyone here would care to see the actual qb stats compared from those games, but just take my word for it when I say it's not even close. Wentz wins that comparison going away.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I think over 10 years or so we will know which guy is better. Trying to rack and stack them now is a waste of time.

Also does it matter who ends up better if they both have HoF careers? I think that is possible but like comparing them it is too early to know for sure.

It is like sayin one fighter is better 3/4 through the first round.
The most important thing is, come week #14 at the L.A. Coliseum we will see which QB has the Better Team!!(y):D ( Pssst. the Fix is in Rams 34-Igle's 24 , Only because of a garbage-time TD!)

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Who cares? Threads like these are inflammatory.

Rams are winning and Goff is part of that.

Win Sunday and they are guaranteed a winning season.

Who is this Wentz guy everyone is taking about? Is he related to that Keenum guy?

Focus... I hope the Rams players focus better than some of their fans, who seem obsessed with comparisons.

Last edited:

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Both QB's have faced a couple of top 5 defenses this season. Goff against the Jags and Vikes (#1 & #5), and Wentz against the Panthers and Broncos (#2 & #3). I don't think anyone here would care to see the actual qb stats compared from those games, but just take my word for it when I say it's not even close. Wentz wins that comparison going away.
Entirely subjective and also relevant to where the games were played and when. Jags were the best pass defense of the bunch on Jared had as good a completion percentage and ypa as Wentz did at home vs two lesser defenses that were both in a bad stretch. Let's not forget Denver vs Philly was 2 or 3 straight games Denver was horrid on defense.

We can look at numbers and pull from them whatever we want it just depends on how we weigh them.

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
Since we're speculating, I would bet that Belichek would take Goff, coach for another 15 years, and win half a dozen more Super Bowls.

James Otto

Starter

I'll show it - you are fixated on the TD numbers:

Wentz

CAR 16-30, 53.3%, 224 yds, 3 TD, 0 INT ... 110.7 Rating - CAR gives up 93.5 Passer Rating Against
DEN 15-27, 55.6%, 199 yds, 4 TD, 0 INT ... 118.7 Rating - DEN gives up 101.5 Passer Rating Against

Goff

JAX 11-21, 52.4%, 124 yds, 1 TD, 0 INT .... 86.2 Rating - JAX gives up 66.5 Passer Rating Against
SEA 22-47, 46.8%, 288 yds, 0 TD, 2 INT .... 48.9 Rating - SEA gives up 78.1 Passer Rating Against

There's alot of information there, decipher as you choose.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
And he has a stronger arm than Wentz. Don't @me, 58 mph velocity on combine, 62mph on tape. they don't clock that crap for fairy tales and rainbows. Not to mention, Fisher himself said that's why they drafted Goff instead of Wentz.
Goff1_hjk60k.gif

Sorry, not letting this go.

Physics is physics. I won't go into the numbers...again, but it's just not true.

The difference isn't great, but Wentz has a slightly stronger arm.

And with all of that, I'm glad we have Goff who's much better in this system and I think will be much better overall now that we have McVay.

But, and let's be clear, this is science, it's fact and not subject to debate... Wentz has a slightly stronger arm than Goff which nets for a number of reasons in a slightly longer ball flight.

It's like using top speed to evaluate a car. It's almost a worthless stat. But Wentz has a slightly higher top speed than Goff.

AND....Goff is still the better car.

Can we leave this alone?

Scirca

Rookie
Sorry, not letting this go.

Physics is physics. I won't go into the numbers...again, but it's just not true.

The difference isn't great, but Wentz has a slightly stronger arm.

And with all of that, I'm glad we have Goff who's much better in this system and I think will be much better overall now that we have McVay.

But, and let's be clear, this is science, it's fact and not subject to debate... Wentz has a slightly stronger arm than Goff which nets for a number of reasons in a slightly longer ball flight.

It's like using top speed to evaluate a car. It's almost a worthless stat. But Wentz has a slightly higher top speed than Goff.

AND....Goff is still the better car.

Can we leave this alone?

Then why did Wentz only clock in at 57 mph at the combine, and only 60 mph on tape? I don't understand.

Last edited:

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Then why did Wentz only clock in at 57 mph at the combine, and only 60 mph on tape? I don't understand.

It's fine to not understand the physics. It's another to continue to make incorrect statements.

Let me be brief.

Initial ball velocity which you constantly mention IS NOT THE ONLY FACTOR.

Austin Davis iirc had an initial ball velocity of 60mph. NO ONE is going to use the euphemism of "stronger arm" to describe Davis.

Factors like throwing mechanics, ball rotation and trajectory (especially initial launch angle) are all factors.

When all of the factors are in place... in the same location on the same day throwing identical balls...on their best throws... Wentz would throw it slightly farther in the air. Maybe 2 yards. It's not a huge difference.

The ONLY place where this manifests is on long throws with a lower trajectory and longer throws where they are on the move. And again, the differences are minor.

Moreover, these differences aren't the sole measure of the quality of a QB. Far from it. Rather, it's among the least of them.

I mean Jeff George had a CANNON of an arm...WAY stronger than any of the All-Time greats (except maybe Unitas). And he was a coach killer who had a million dollar arm and a nickel head.

If you want to argue for Goff, there are a TON of metrics where his skills really matter... accuracy, touch and deep ball accuracy (his improvement this year alone is staggering) and all of those are better than Wentz.

What doesn't work is using one factor for one metric (Initial ball velocity as the sole determinant of "arm strength") and then extrapolating that into something it isn't.

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
The 2 biggest advatages Goff has over Wentz IMO are youth and being a pocket passer. IMO Wentz exposes himself to more punishment than Goff does and that coupled with being a couple years older than Goff makes it more likely that Goff has the longer career.

But this is the NFL and anything can happen, hell I might even be wrong.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

yeah? no.