Isaiah Pead doesn't think he got a fair shot in STL.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

fearsomefour

Legend
Wow. Lots of venom being spewed over a player who most think wasn't an issue throughout his time here.

Some selective memories all over this thread. Many think this guy was the worst player ever to don a rams jersey and yet in the same breath you acknowledge he was barely a blip on radar.

I actually have zero issue with his comments because they are accurate. He was never given an opportunity here. For whatever reason he wasn't. And please spare me the fumble issues. Bennie fumbles more than anyone and yet he's still given the ball
Sometimes it just doesn't work out.
A team/coach/scout thinks they are getting one player or can develop a weakness and it does not happen. There is a reason why the old cliche about a guy needing a "change of scenery" exists.
Sometimes it is nothing more than a guy being tight....feeling like any mistake will be his last....hard to play or even practice well when uptight.
As I said, he doing well or not does effect the Rams at all, I wish him the best.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
Wow. Lots of venom being spewed over a player who most think wasn't an issue throughout his time here.

Some selective memories all over this thread. Many think this guy was the worst player ever to don a rams jersey and yet in the same breath you acknowledge he was barely a blip on radar.

I actually have zero issue with his comments because they are accurate. He was never given an opportunity here. For whatever reason he wasn't. And please spare me the fumble issues. Bennie fumbles more than anyone and yet he's still given the ball

Nearly everytime we saw Pead on the field he was getting a penalty to fumbling the football. The other times we saw him, were mediocre kick returns. He was given every opportunity here, and then he pissed dirty and tore his ACL. Came back (which I will give him big credit for) and still had penalty problems on special teams.

He has nobody to blame but himself. He's the reason he didn't get a fair shake.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't know that he "didn't get an opportunity" here, but he did certainly get caught up in some serious numbers games.

The problem was, that for the most part the players beating him out weren't long term answers themselves. He didn't beat out Richardson, and then apparently moped a bit. Meanwhile Stacy came in and wasn't spectacular but was the best available. He might have gotten playing time last year as others have mentioned, but blew out his knee. Then the chance to draft a once in a generation back came, while Pead still wasn't differentiating himself from others. Sorry, but football is a meritocracy. When Pead had legitimate chances to earn playing time he didn't, and the team got better options along the way.

Hopefully for him he can grab the opportunity he's been given with the Steelers, like Givens is doing with his new shot. Givens isn't playing like a star, but IS playing well enough to get future chances and some benefit of the doubt.

Memphis Ram

Legend
19 carries in 4 years isn't much of an opportunity to be fair.

It is if you can't beat out the guys in front of you and you missed one year due to injury. That drug suspension didn't help his cause either.

In the end, I still think that Pead could be a nice 3rd down back from some team.

OntarioRam

Hall of Fame
He might actually be right. Who knows. There are some very selective memories in this thread. I know many Rams fans were perplexed as to why Pead was getting next to zero carries after being a 2nd round draft pick. Early on, many Rams fans were screaming to get Pead some touches in game situations to at least see what he could do.

We don't know what the coaches saw at practice. It is very possible the other RBs on the roster over the years were simply showing more at practice and beat him out. You have to earn carries in the NFL. Not be handled them on account of draft status. But it is at least plausible the coaching staff just didn't like him as much as the others for some trivial reason, and that's why he kept being surpassed on the depth chart by later draft picks. I'm not saying this happened. I do not think it was the case. But like everyone else in the world, coaches have biases. This seems particularly true with Fisher -> see: his love affair with Tennessee players (Britt, Cook, Finnegan). It's at the very least plausible.

By the time Pead finally did get a chance he tore his ACL (bad luck). When he came back from injury he fumbled the ball at seemingly every opportunity. Pead only has himself to blame for the latter. But one does wonder if he was playing with zero confidence after going years without carries, and if that had anything to do with his fumbling tendancies.

I wish Pead well. He *might* not have got a super fair shake at the start. Who knows. But he most definitely did towards the end of his time here IMO. He wasted his chances. He got limited carriers at the end because the few times he was handed the ball he always screwed up. Best of luck in Pittsburgh.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
"Poor Baby!!" I liked Pead, he was an OK Back-Up! But ..

ivj3zg9.jpg

image-54fcc7d4623b6-137335.jpg

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
The unfortunate injury last season withstanding,he was given opportunities to contribute and he just wasn't good enough.
JAG.
Bust.

On a sidenote the Rams' drafting/scouting seems to be getting better each year. IMO that's continuity and building a program instead of blowing it up every 3 years.
That 2012 draft still looks pretty good...but i think Snead has gotten better since.
1 Brockers
2 Quick
2 Jenkins
2 Pead
3 Tru J
4 Givens
5 Rok Watkins
6 Zuerlein
7 Aaron Brown
7 Daryl Richardson

Last edited:

Pancake

Hall of Fame
Name
Ernie
I don't think he had much opportunity given to him either. I always felt that it was a waste of roster space and draft pick by Fisher.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Meh. Never liked the pick, never really liked the player.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
19 carries in 4 years isn't much of an opportunity to be fair.
He fumbled 3 times in that small amount of time, was suspended with it, got injured(which wasn't his fault), but continued to be nothing spectacular and make mental errors when he was on the field on special teams. You don't just GET chances, you're not required them. You EARN them and what did Pead do to earn it?

Somebody on the Rams subreddit did the math, and if Pead got the same amount of snaps and touches that Gurley gets in a run heavy offense he would fumble 1.5 times a game. Is it really that hard to see why he was riding the pines when he's fumbling more than he's picking up yards? Richardson did fine, Stacy did fine, Mason did fine, Gurley is doing great behind arguably worse play. Why is Pead the only outlier?

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Pead lost my respect when he started laughing about his penalty while Hekker was screaming at him. He didn't care. Pittsburgh is going to find out why we cut him in the first place.

Athos

Legend
Pead lost my respect when he started laughing about his penalty while Hekker was screaming at him. He didn't care. Pittsburgh is going to find out why we cut him in the first place.

That's def part of it.

I mean between thinking himself heir apparent and not working for lead back duties, leading to DRich starting and him pouting....

To fumbling, dropping, and muffing punts while having stupid penalties....

You aren't going to be making friends with the coaching staff.

BamBam has had the yips, but he started as a UdFA who busted his butt from the start. Did well on ST, was one of the better KR men in the league, does the dirty work, and until Todd got here, easily our best pass catching back. In fact, I'm pretty sure he's been in on at least half of Hekkers fake punt completions. Idk. Seems like it tho.

Pray had chances. He just shat the bed then cried about it every time.

Hope we learned never to draft skill players from UC ever again.

Psycho_X

Legend
Lol whatever, quit your crybaby b****ing and be thankful you've been given a fourth chance in the NFL and try to make something of yourself. Personally I thought he got way more opportunities than he should have. In fact, I didn't think he deserved to be on the roster week 1 this season. I guess he was fortunate because of injuries and suspensions but he quickly proved he didn't deserve it when he almost fumbled the game away in week 1.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Exactly....You guys want to hear the truth, and can't handle the truth....

Sorta like everybody piling on Cook...and begging for more Tavon & Stedmon....And Sted & Tavon can barely get open to catch a damn pass....I don't believe some of you...

The guy was NEVER given a chance to see what he could do...That's what he thought...and that's what I see....

It can be the same with Brian Quick...If he's not re-signed...And he comments the same way....He's never thrown the ball....When he WAS given a chance..Look at his stats....Hell...It could be the same with Sted too.....

Tavon HAS been given a chance....twice...When he first got here...and NOW this season.....and let me look...damn
http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/A/AustTa00.htm

http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/p.../sort/receivingYards/qualified/false/count/41
RK PLAYER TEAM REC TAR YDS AVG TD LONG 20+ YDS/G FUM YAC 1DN(1st downs)

79 Tavon Austin, WR STL 24 38 285 11.9 4 66 4 40.7 1 137 13
Dude is WAY down there at 79....as a WR...not a runner...not a returner...a receiver....behind a bunch of....well, I wont say NOBODIES, but you should get my point...#8 pick....+....PLUS a second rounder.....Please....He's been given ample opportunity to SEE what he's made of....Pead wasn't....

A lot of great players FUMBLE...Drop the ball...but they are given a chance....Pead only wanted to run the rock...not play gunner...not special teamer....not sit behind Zack, 3.9 ypc Stacy....

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Opportunity doesn't necessarily = game day touches. Some players work harder than others in practice, in the weight room, in the film room and in general preparation. I wasn't there to witness any of that but i would be willing to bet that Pead didn't do enough to earn more game day touches.

Everybody as a fan has "their guy" that they believe in, and wants to make it as a pro(Trey Watts for myself), but i'm not making excuses for "my guy." He took a shot, was given opportunities and ultimately failed.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
He fumbled 3 times in that small amount of time, was suspended with it, got injured(which wasn't his fault), but continued to be nothing spectacular and make mental errors when he was on the field on special teams. You don't just GET chances, you're not required them. You EARN them and what did Pead do to earn it?

Somebody on the Rams subreddit did the math, and if Pead got the same amount of snaps and touches that Gurley gets in a run heavy offense he would fumble 1.5 times a game. Is it really that hard to see why he was riding the pines when he's fumbling more than he's picking up yards? Richardson did fine, Stacy did fine, Mason did fine, Gurley is doing great behind arguably worse play. Why is Pead the only outlier?
And yet Pead outlasted both Richardson and Stacy. And if not for the knee injury last year MAY HAVE finally taken hold of the opportunity and we would never have seen Mason.

The biggest issue Pead had with this team was his "lone wolf" attitude towards his teammates. He was not well liked and it carried over to the meeting rooms which in turn translated into lack of playing time. He busted his ass on special teams in an effort to rectify his perceived lack of commitment. But when the knee injury occurred his days were numbered.

That their staff kept bringing him back was a testament to his talent. Even coming off the injury he was the most athletic and talented RB on the roster not named Gurley.

I for one will not be the least bit surprised to see him flourish in Pittsburgh. And wish him nothing but good luck.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
And yet Pead outlasted both Richardson and Stacy. And if not for the knee injury last year MAY HAVE finally taken hold of the opportunity and we would never have seen Mason.

The biggest issue Pead had with this team was his "lone wolf" attitude towards his teammates. He was not well liked and it carried over to the meeting rooms which in turn translated into lack of playing time. He busted his ass on special teams in an effort to rectify his perceived lack of commitment. But when the knee injury occurred his days were numbered.

That their staff kept bringing him back was a testament to his talent. Even coming off the injury he was the most athletic and talented RB on the roster not named Gurley.

I for one will not be the least bit surprised to see him flourish in Pittsburgh. And wish him nothing but good luck.
Outlasting them isn't much of an award, even such they still showed that they could play better, safer and consistently better than he could. The fact that they were easily replaced is just a further testament to how poorly Pead performed, this was a team desperate for anything to stick after Jackson and this guy couldn't outperform Stacy, Cunningham or Richardson, guys who are supposedly vastly inferior to him and he's definitely nowhere near beating Mason and Gurley.

Also at the bolded, you say that yet he blames the team for him not getting success, which is the point of this. Nobody's saying he doesn't have talent, but nobody's going to be impressed with sour grapes when he did things like this and got brought back for three years to try to rectify it and never could. Fisher didn't make him a butterfingers, Fisher didn't make him get suspended. The one year it looked like things were going to come together he gets injured, which isn't his fault, but still not the fault of coaching either. This is the NFL, you don't get chances for free, you don't get chances just because you have potential. You earn them, a lot of good players who bust their ass on every play and didn't make the same amount of mistakes fall to the wayside all the time, what makes Pead so special that he deserves even more? How many years were we supposed to give him anyways? Four, Five, Six? He had plenty of time to find his groove. Eventually we found our feature back and a good complement and he became superfluous, that's just how the NFL is and we shouldn't shed any tears over it, should we continue to flounder when our O was already bad just to wait for him?

And onto his special teams play, he was a good gunner, but that's really it. He wasn't anything spectacular on kick return, and he made boneheaded plays. Marquez spelled his doom when he could gun and not foolishly mess up kickoffs and then laugh about it in the face of the person who's kick he ruined.

Flourishing in Pittsburgh isn't going to change the fact that he's sour grapes and saying he didn't get a chance shows a lack of self awareness, which I don't doubt factored into his inability to stick here. Nobody's going to be impressed by that, and they shouldn't be.