Is Tavon Austin “in his own head” a little bit?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Marc Lillibridge joined Carey Davis and Nick Wagoner to talk about Austin Davis and if the ball is in his hands this week, going up against a weak pass D, limiting turnovers, examining Tavon Austin, and not abandoning the run game

Listen to Lillibridge Talk Rams/Austin

Sum1

Hall of Fame
Tavon just needs to run toward the endzone when he gets the ball. He needs to take a step immediately and quit trying to juke before he moves. He needs to stop doing the hop-step.

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
I just wish they'd attempt to get him involved in the passing game somehow. I'm not a fan of the screen play to the guy, especially now with Quick on IR. Some slant routes or posts, something to get him in space downfield.

Ramathon

I just wish they'd attempt to get him involved in the passing game somehow. I'm not a fan of the screen play to the guy, especially now with Quick on IR. Some slant routes or posts, something to get him in space downfield.

Agreed. I'm sure someone will provide the usual "he's too small to be a regular WR", but he's not that much smaller than Desean Jackson, and if memory serves, he's about the same size as TY Hilton. Now, if he just can't run routes, then maybe that's an issue. But they seem to be stuck on the idea they've gotta dream up some whiz bang gimmick play to get him involved.

Do the Rams ever run any 'bunch' formations? I don't recall having seen that, and it seems to me like that might be an area they could utilize him.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Get him the ball in space.

Play him outside if needed.

My biggest pet peeve is how we use TA.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Agreed. I'm sure someone will provide the usual "he's too small to be a regular WR", but he's not that much smaller than Desean Jackson, and if memory serves, he's about the same size as TY Hilton. Now, if he just can't run routes, then maybe that's an issue. But they seem to be stuck on the idea they've gotta dream up some whiz bang gimmick play to get him involved.

Do the Rams ever run any 'bunch' formations? I don't recall having seen that, and it seems to me like that might be an area they could utilize him.

Yeah with the offensive guys so much of it is utilization, and being able to put them in position to maximize their ability. The Rams have struggled with him in that respect.

He is a game changing talent. Rams need to get him the effin ball over the top so teams will stop rolling up on him. Soon as a DB sees him they rush him to close on him and of course nearly every route he runs is a short curl of some kind. Only way to fix that is fear of him going deep, and I'm telling you right now most teams only have one CB who has a chance to stay with him, if that, on a go route.

Once they establish him deep he will start having room to make that first move and all we'll hear about is how he's figured it out, blah blah blah. Just send him deep in this game, IMO, on 70% of his plays, and let Davis do his thing when the matchup is there.

jap

Legend
One problem is that AD is only 6'2", relatively short for an NFL signal caller, and probably has problems seeing small Tavon downfield. Plus, AD tends to put air under the ball to make up for his un-cannon-like arm, allowing defenders more time to recover.

Someone has to step up. It may be Tavon, Sted, Cookie, Kenny, even Chris Givens. Of course, our RB's need to give the Cards' D a reason to keep an eye on them, loosening things up for our fly guys.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Get him the ball in space.

Play him outside if needed.

My biggest pet peeve is how we use TA.
My patience is running thin in regards to Tavon too. More so with Tavon himself, rather than how we use him, although i do agree that it's a combination of both. Hopefully we get some results soon. Losing Quick was a blow in more ways than one. Teams can again just key on him in terms of our big play guy.

Robocop

Pro Bowler
Name
J.
he said it. give him 15 looks a game until something pops. Schotty never does that. a screen here, a reverse there, maybe a run up the middle and then he's done. if we want to make up our minds whether it's his fault or the choach's then give him a body of work to grade and actual opportunity. God if this kid was with Chip Kelly...

RamzFanz

Damnit
I think he's still gimpy.

No way he hasn't had a long downfield play this season if he isn't.

I'm a skeptic and negative Ned at times, but they KNOW he can go long across from Britt and they have done it in the past.

I just don't know if AD can stay clean enough to deliver.

Special teams just needs to block. Ignore where he is or what he's doing. Find a target and block. TA will do the rest.

Athos

Legend
Probably. Dude acts like he's taking some dancing classes when he gets the ball more often than that, adding in moves to a simple waltz, when no extra moves are needed and lead to stumbling over his own feet. More than anything, Shotty included, I'm tired of the stupid stuff with him. Running side to side, backwards a bit, forewords a bit. He has to be decisive. See the field, and GO. Worry about the moves when you need to.

Too often what I think I see, is him trying to make Sports Center. See the hole, hit the hole. It's what I've liked early on with Mason's running style. Diagnoses the holes, and hits them.

Austin needs to do that.

RamzFanz

Damnit
Probably. Dude acts like he's taking some dancing classes when he gets the ball more often than that, adding in moves to a simple waltz, when no extra moves are needed and lead to stumbling over his own feet. More than anything, Shotty included, I'm tired of the stupid stuff with him. Running side to side, backwards a bit, forewords a bit. He has to be decisive. See the field, and GO. Worry about the moves when you need to.

Too often what I think I see, is him trying to make Sports Center. See the hole, hit the hole. It's what I've liked early on with Mason's running style. Diagnoses the holes, and hits them.

Austin needs to do that.

"See the hole, hit the hole." Ah, college days were good.

Maybe that's why they run him up the middle? To get him to understand that?

V3

Hall of Fame
I would like someone in the St. Louis media to ask Fisher or Schotty why they haven't run him in the slot more or even on the outside on occasion. I doubt they'd give an honest answer but it should at least be asked.

I'd also like to know who was responsible for the pick. That, I know will never get answered.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I still believe that Tavon was the right choice.
Any team needing offensive weapons would have jumped at the opportunity to have him in the mix.
We were just the team that was able to do it.

Let's not become revisionist historians. It was a fine pick at the time and Tavon has been in a tough situation with an unimaginative OC and back up QBS who lack the arm to find him deep.

RamzFanz

Damnit
I would like someone in the St. Louis media to ask Fisher or Schotty why they haven't run him in the slot more or even on the outside on occasion. I doubt they'd give an honest answer but it should at least be asked.

I'd also like to know who was responsible for the pick. That, I know will never get answered.

What pick? The throw to TA that was picked? Come on dude. It was a scrambling AD who hopped and threw a ball across his body 5 yards short.

lockdnram21

Legend
What pick? The throw to TA that was picked? Come on dude. It was a scrambling AD who hopped and threw a ball across his body 5 yards short.
I think he's talking bout picking tavon. Davis said the pick was his fault. He said he seen the defender and thought he could get it over him

RamzFanz

Damnit
I think he's talking bout picking tavon. Davis said the pick was his fault. He said he seen the defender and thought he could get it over him

Ahhhh. Well, it was Tavon or Paterson with a trade up. Who would anyone have taken?

Everyone was screaming to get SB8 a weapon and that's who was there.

V3

Hall of Fame
I meant the draft pick(s) for Tavon.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude

You can always ask Kevin Demoff when he comes back. He doesn't shy away from those questions.