Is California practice a preview or coincidence for Rams?/PD

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Is California practice a preview or coincidence for Rams?
• By Jim Thomas

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_fb93e4fe-01a9-587d-b447-f5ca2e1d82a1.html

OXNARD, CALIF. • Welcome to the land of $4 a gallon gas, 13 percent state income tax, water shortages and congestion — otherwise known as Stan Kroenke’s land of milk and honey.

Amid rumors that the Rams are scouting sites in the Thousand Oaks area for their permanent practice facility in the Los Angeles area, and that they have told the team’s equipment people and athletic trainers they plan to bring them out West, the Rams will practice Monday and Tuesday near LA against the Dallas Cowboys. The Rams will work on their own Wednesday before flying back to St. Louis.

It seems all too coincidental that the Rams are practicing in Oxnard, about 55 miles northwest of Rodeo Drive in Beverly Hills. Cowboys owner Jerry Jones has made no secret of the fact that he is a big backer of Kroenke’s plan to build a $2 billion stadium in the Inglewood area of LA — St. Louis and its $1 billion stadium project notwithstanding.

But Rams coach Jeff Fisher said over the weekend that this is just the way things worked out.

“I’ve said this numerous times, we felt like our team was in a position needing some additional experience on the practice field (against another squad),” Fisher said.

So why not do so in the Midwest? In past seasons, the Rams have trained with the Chicago Bears (in Platteville, Wis. and Macomb, Ill.); with Fisher’s former team, the Tennessee Titans (in Nashville, Tenn., and Macomb); and with the Indianapolis Colts (at the University of Illinois).

“We talked to a number of clubs,” Fisher said. “And it just so happened that from a timing standpoint it worked out that Dallas was our best option. We did talk to Midwest teams, and timing-wise it just didn’t work out.

“Just from a travel standpoint, with the late game (Friday) night and avoiding the late travel back we felt like because of the Cowboys’ availability that this was gonna be our best option.”

The Rams headed to the Oxnard area — they’re lodging about 25 miles south of the Cowboys’ facility — following Friday’s 18-3 loss at Oakland in their exhibition opener. The players had a day off Saturday, prompting some social media wiseacres to surmise it gave the players a chance to tour the area and look for homes.

Linebacker James Laurinaitis used part of the day to work out at a Gold’s Gym in Southern California where he tweeted that he ran into “Arnold” in the gym building. We presume he meant Arnold Schwarzenegger, not Tom Arnold.

On Sunday, Rams players had a walk-through at a high school near their hotel, as they reviewed game film and went over corrections from the Raiders game. There was a sighting of Fisher and at least some members of his staff late Sunday afternoon at the Cowboys’ practice facility.

Rams players won’t be there until Monday afternoon for the first of two practices with the Cowboys.

“The players are looking forward to it,” Fisher said. “We’ll get great work. I spoke with Coach (Jason) Garrett. We’ve got a really good practice schedule together, so we’ll get quality work out there. We’ll just use this as an opportunity for both teams to improve.”

At most of these joint practices, the players from each team stretch and go through individual periods separately. But when the one-on-one periods begin, and then seven-on-seven, and 11-on-11, it’s one team against another.

For example, Cowboys defensive backs covering Rams wide receivers taking throws from Nick Foles & Co. during one-on-ones. Rams linebackers and defensive backs working against Cowboys wideouts, running backs and tight ends during seven-on-seven work. And vice versa.

The Cowboys have two practice fields at their disposals — fields that are part of a hotel’s property. So while, for example, the Rams’ offense is working against the Dallas defense on one field, the Rams’ defense can be working against the Dallas offense on the other.

“It’s just another opportunity for the team to grow and bond together,” Foles said. “It’s a road trip, really. I mean, it’s a business road trip. So we’re gonna be getting our work in and working hard against a Dallas team that had a great year last year. I’m very familiar with them.”

As a Philadelphia Eagle, Foles missed both games against Dallas last year because of a broken collarbone. But he has played the Cowboys four times in his career, including three starts. In fact, his NFL debut was against Dallas on Nov. 11, 2012 —he came off the bench in place of the injured Michael Vick.

“I’ve done joint practices before, and you get a lot out of ’em in the sense that you get on the same page with your guys,” Foles said. “In my situation, a young O-line gets to go against Dallas’ defensive front, so it’ll be really good to practice against them.”

The Cowboys normally practice before a few thousand fans every day — they drew more than 50,000 total over the course of their 2014 camp. So the Rams will be working before a bigger house than they do in the more intimate setting at Rams Park, where the average attendance was 1,100 or so this summer.

“That should be fun,” said Jamon Brown, one of those young offensive linemen. “To have a couple more eyes watching you it’s always good.”

And the crowds should be bolstered by the appearance of West Coast Rams fans excited for the potential return of the team to Los Angeles in 2016 should Kroenke get his way on relocation.

“There’s a lot of fans on the West Coast because the team has been in LA,” Foles said. “They’re still Rams fans. They follow the team in St. Louis, and they love the Rams.

“We could see it out there (in Oakland) — it was fun seeing all the Rams fans out there. And I’m sure that when we’re in Oxnard, they’ll be there as well. So the St. Louis Rams fans are everywhere.”

With the NFL considering a season-ticket deposit campaign for the potential arrival of the Rams, Chargers, and/or Raiders in Los Angeles in 2016, having the Rams practice in Oxnard for a few days in 2015 is a pretty good PR and marketing strategy.

But again, this is all coincidental.

RamBill

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Rams Set to Practice in Oxnard with Cowboys
By Myles Simmons

View: http://www.stlouisrams.com/news-and-events/article-1/Rams-Set-to-Practice-in-Oxnard-with-Cowboys/4fbc8022-be40-4535-9d1a-b369f0f57df3

OXNARD, Calif. -- Immediately following the club’s first preseason game against the Raiders on Friday night, the Rams took a short flight south in preparation to practice in Oxnard for three days.

St. Louis will take the field with Dallas on Monday and Tuesday afternoon, and then practice on their own Wednesday morning before heading home to Missouri that evening.

“The players are looking forward to it,” head coach Jeff Fisher said on Saturday, adding that he’s been in contact with Cowboys head coach Jason Garrett. “He has a really good practice schedule together, so we’ll get quality work out there. We’re just going to use this as an opportunity for both teams to improve.”

Fisher has said in the past that there are plenty of benefits to practicing with another team at this time of year. This point in August is widely considered the “dog days” of training camp, where many times it can get tedious for players to only go against their teammates in practice.

And through the joint sessions with Dallas, St. Louis will have the added benefit of facing a team that won 12 games and made a playoff run in 2014.

Reasons like these made the Cowboys a good choice for the upcoming joint sessions.

“We felt like our team was in a position to gain some additional experience on the practice field and, in a lot of ways, try to gain an additional preseason game,” Fisher said. “We did talk to Midwest teams and timing wise, it just didn’t work out. So just from a travel standpoint with the late game [Friday] night and the late travel back, we felt like because of the Cowboys’ availability that this was going to be our best option.”

As for the players, quarterback Nick Foles played in the NFC East and his familiarity with the Cowboys could aid the offense this week. He said after Friday’s contest that he’s been involved in joint practices before and they can benefit everyone.

“You get a lot out of them in the sense that you get on the same page with your guys,” Foles said. “In my situation, a young O-line gets to go against Dallas’ defensive front. So it’ll be really good practice against them.”

[Related: Foles pleased with offense's fast start on Friday]

Essentially gaining a fifth preseason opponent should pay dividends for rookies Rob Havenstein and Jamon Brown. According to Fisher, the right guard and right tackle performed admirably on Friday night.

“I thought they played well,” Fisher said. “Jamon was good both in the run game and in the pass game and Rob was really efficient in the run game. He got a little high at times in the pass game, but that’s to be expected in your first game. Both of them communicated well and didn’t have any mental mistakes. I thought they played well together.”

But the biggest stories of the week may come from St. Louis’ front on the other side of the ball. The Rams’ vaunted defensive line and the Cowboys’ formidable offensive line should make for some good competition over the next two days.

“They do a great job in their run scheme, their coaching, their techniques,” Fisher said of the Cowboys. “We’re going to face some other clubs that are replicating their run game, so I think it’ll be really good work. The one thing that obviously you keep in mind is that in game situations, and in their run scheme as is well in ours, there’s cutting on the backside and we won’t have that happen. But still, I think our defensive line will benefit from it.”

Practice with the Cowboys on Monday and Tuesday will begin at 4:25 p.m. PT. Wednesday’s solo practice will commence at 10:30 a.m. PT. All three sessions are free and open to the public. For more information on the Oxnard venue, check out visitoxnard.com/cowboys.

RamBill

Legend
For now, Rams returning to Southern California for just a brief visit
By Vincent Bonsignore, Los Angeles Daily News

http://www.dailynews.com/sports/201...to-southern-california-for-just-a-brief-visit

OXNARD >> Finally, the Rams are back.

No, no, no. Not that kind of back.

And not actually back in Los Angeles, either.

But close.

Closer than they’ve ever been since bolting the City of Angels 20 years ago for St. Louis, breaking so many hearts in the process and leaving a National Football League void in L.A. that still hasn’t been filled.

Beginning Monday, the Rams will be in Oxnard spending three days working out with the Dallas Cowboys, who have made Ventura County a bit of a semi-annual training camp tradition over the years.

With both teams needing practice partners to break up the monotony of training camp, it made sense to hook up this week in Oxnard considering the Rams played two days ago in Oakland. So, rather then head back to the Midwest, they’ll make a stopover in this sleepy little beach community about 40 miles from Santa Barbara.

But let’s not let convenience and proximity get in the way of the much juicer subplot to the Rams Southern California appearance.

We all know they have their eyes set on returning to Los Angeles, where owner Stan Kroenke is proposing a privately financed stadium at the old Hollywood Park race track site in Inglewood.

And with the Oakland Raiders and San Diego Chargers joining forces on their own Los Angeles journey – the two old rivals are proposing a joint stadium in Carson – and the National Football League set to decide soon which team or teams get to relocate to the coveted Los Angeles market and what stadium they’ll call home, it’s safe to say the Rams are hoping to make a dramatic statement spending the next three days in Southern California.

And at the same exact site the Raiders used for training camp when the played in Los Angeles.

Touche.

Considering the manner in which Los Angeles Rams fans plan to take over Oxnard – they’ve been booking hotel rooms from the moment the Rams and Cowboys announced their joint workouts - you can count a loud, boisterous statement. The Cowboys are extremely popular no matter where they go, and their fans consistently make the pilgrimage to Oxnard to support them during the summer months.

But don’t be surprised if Rams fans take over Oxnard the next few days. That’s the plan, anyway. And make no mistake, if the NFL doesn’t notice the support and love that still exists for the Rams in these parts, Kroenke will be making a few phone calls the next couple days pointing it out.

After all, his L.A. dreams depend on the support of fellow owners. Whoever ends up relocating will need 24 votes of approval from the league’s 32 owners.

This is a high-stakes game being played. And every edge counts.

Not to be outdone, the Raiders and Chargers have planned their own Los Angeles statement this week. Carson stadium point man Carmen Policy will update the Los Angeles City of Commerce Monday at a downtown L.A. hotel.

If you believe in coincidences, Policy’s appearance in L.A. at the same time the Rams are an hour away in Oxnard is just a fluky scheduling occurrence.

Um, right.

This is all about positioning, and there was no way the Raiders and Chargers were about to let the Rams have the headlines all to themselves.

All of which adds intrigue to an already fascinating story.

The Rams are back in Southern California.

For three days, anyway.

But maybe it’s a prelude to a much longer stay.

FRO

Legend
As a St Louisan I find practicing in LA when there are rumors of the team moving out there highly distasteful. If the team was for sure staying I would have zero issue as I know there are a good number of Rams fans in LA who would love to see the team up close for some practices. This very well could be our last season having the Rams, why not try and make it a good experience for St Louis fans?

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
The way these guys talk about it, it sounds like there are ten times more Rams fans out there now than there were when the team actually was in LA.

RAGRam

Pro Bowler
As a St Louisan I find practicing in LA when there are rumors of the team moving out there highly distasteful. If the team was for sure staying I would have zero issue as I know there are a good number of Rams fans in LA who would love to see the team up close for some practices. This very well could be our last season having the Rams, why not try and make it a good experience for St Louis fans?

Because fuck St. Louis, and fuck the fans who have supported the team through 10 years of shit (Stan's attitude, not mine, I love St. Louis and the fans).

V3

Hall of Fame
How would the players know when the owners haven't even decided
Because it could already be decided and they're just not saying for various reasons. I don't believe the owners, I don't believe the commissioner, and I don't believe anything from the media for anything concerning this issue.

I'm not saying I believe this lady but she could be telling the truth.

Athos

Legend
Bottom line is that it is in high quality, callous, cancerous taste to hold any Ram event, especially a scrimmage against another team, in the very state causing so much drama and anger among St.Louisans, whether the team moves or not in the end.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
Ugh, I know these posts are inevitable, but it makes me ill to think of the Rams moving away. I can't for the life of me understand how the city of St. Louis, whom we all know absolutely benefits from hosting the Rams, can't put together a more enticing plan to keep the team here.

I was too young to care about the Cardinals, and I have to say, I have a new kind of respect for the fans from LA who not only still support their favorite team, who's not only moved away, but been in the basement for so long, and then somehow manage to remain sympathetic to our own potential loss of the team even when it could be to their benefit.

I mean, I get where they are coming from. I simply can't imagine supporting another team regardless of where they are playing. And in that light, I guess it just doesn't matter.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
This could just be a ploy to scare St. Louis into thinking the move is more real than they know.

I had a strange conversation with some guy that claims that the only thing that is real is facts and truth. Funny thing is, big companies like the NFL will say anything to further their cause and protect their brand. So the powers that be claim to not know if they are moving or not, but really in what world would that be the case? A billionaire making a decision about moving his team and he is just sitting in limbo waiting for other people to decide for him? Get out. They know if they are moving or staying.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Speaking of football, anyone think the scrimmage will help the offense figure some things out? They didn't exactly light it up in Oakland.

FRO

Legend
Speaking of football, anyone think the scrimmage will help the offense figure some things out? They didn't exactly light it up in Oakland.
I think the first team offense looked fine against the Raiders, until Saffold went out. I'm not sure scrimmaging against the Cowboys will have any sort of benefit though.

RamBill

Legend
The St. Louis Rams are in Southern California, Oxnard to be specific, to practice against the Dallas Cowboys this coming Monday, August 17 and Tuesday, August 18. Fox 2 Sports Director Martin Kilcoyne is with the Rams in California and has this preview. Includes an interview with James Laurinaitis

Watch Fox 2's So Cal Report

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
Because it could already be decided and they're just not saying for various reasons. I don't believe the owners, I don't believe the commissioner, and I don't believe anything from the media for anything concerning this issue.

I'm not saying I believe this lady but she could be telling the truth.

If the players were dumb enough to casually mention it to some lady in the elevator, wouldn't it be plastered all over social media by this point, then?

LetsGoRams

Pro Bowler
Name
Thrasher

I couldn't agree more. I think it's very cool that they are practicing out there for the LA Rams fans, and should probably do it every year, but this year, it seems like a slap in the face to STL fans.

CodeMonkey

Possibly the OH but cannot self-identify
Not sure but IF they do move to LA, I think it only fair that they have at least some practices here.

V3

Hall of Fame
If the players were dumb enough to casually mention it to some lady in the elevator, wouldn't it be plastered all over social media by this point, then?
I've lost count how many times I've read social media posts from random people saying things very similar to this. It doesn't get any traction because no one puts any credence to this type of stuff.

Again, I'm not saying I believe it but it's not out of the realm of possibility.