Is Blackpeoplemeet.com Racist?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I can see the ones who were actually involved in trying to get away from the nazis. But now there are Jewish people two generations later, I doubt many of them have issues with Germans.

I'd bet that the ones who lost family members and had their parents and grandparents in camps or heard about them being taken and never returning home or whatever would care. Just like black people in the US who remember their grandfathers being treated badly, beaten, forced to sit in separate places or not served at all in restaurants, sitting in the back of the bus and so on.

It's nowhere near as clean and simple as you make it sound simply because people are involved and that brings a lot of different emotions and such.

How that profile comin along?

Sum1

Hall of Fame

You wanna see racist? Watch that video...and laugh your ass off while you're at it...because it is funny as fuck!

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
I think the central issue is whether HOW you hold yourself out to the public can be construed as being racist.
I hardly think there WAS any effect FROM Riley Coopers comments but they implied racial preference and therein lies the rub, this web sights name regardless what underlies and is it's true mission, it still stirs and offends and FWIW if offending is a problem then offending white people racially is as objectionable as offending blacks .
I rather doubt that IF you had a web sight called whitepeoplemeet .com and wanted to advertise during the Super Bowl they'd take your add but on the other hand the sight in question has been inoculated from the same scrutiny but doesn't deserve to be.

Again though I don't see myself as a victim in ths instance, it's not me who is being told your insensitivity is OK and thereby being led down a path of excusing my behavior in hypocritical fashion.
The victims here are those who can sell themselves the contradiction.

Today's white people aren't obliged to make up for the sins of their forefathers only to refrain from repeating them any more than the children of black criminals today are to make recompense for their fathers sins.
I really pity those who think that generational blame is transferable in any form,the certainly have brains but something is awry with that thinking.

Notice I singled no posters out here nor will I ,IMO anyone who is doing so is wrong to, this issue can't possibly be discussed intelligently if we keep personalizing it.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
There are white people at HBCUs. White people have the option to join black fraternities. White people choose not to join black fraternities for the same reasons that black people rarely join white fraternities. But the option is present.

White only scholarship?
http://rt.com/usa/columbia-university-white-scholarship-327/
So you read that article - right? That fellowship is not being handed out and they are trying to get the provisions changed. The NAACP has been fighting against the scholarship since 1949 because one of its provisions is that it has to go to, among other things, a caucasian. As Blue noted, there are Irish scholarships, and German scholarships, etc. And those countries by in large are Caucasian. However, when looking through some of them, I haven't found a one that mentions color. On the other hand, scholarships for minorities are purely racial in nature and goal. Apparently, all Hispanics are the same, all blacks are from the country of Africa, and Asia is a nationality. Who knew?

It is a little funny that the OP is if the dating site is racist - which it seems that most of us agree that it is not. Yet the real question seems to be more about whether there is a double standard - or reverse discrimination. Of course there is.

Jrry's article states the reason for challenging the fund as - “Columbia University is now prohibited by law and University policy from discriminating on the basis of race.” Yet this same university accepts and administers scholarships from their Black Alumni Council and other race based organizations. How do they rationalize it?
"There's a difference between considering race as a factor in giving a scholarship where you're trying to cultivate diversity, versus a scholarship where the intent is to exclude people based upon perceived inferiority of their race"

So in other words, we don't allow discrimination based on race unless we find that it is for the right reasons. Now. Does anyone seriously contend that if someone wanted to form the White Alumni Council at Columbia that they could then hand out fellowships to "whites" only? Or does coming up with a "whites" only scholarship automatically mean you are doing it because you feel all other skin colors are inferior whereas by virtue of a group being "black" they are only doing it out of a quest for diversity? Nah - there's no double standard.

And can someone name me the country or race that doesn't have at least some racial tendencies? Can someone name the country that NEVER had any kind of slavery? In a nefarious exchange of "goods", is the buyer or the seller more culpable? Is it only "white" slave owners that were the problem?

My thought is that we will never get over it until we get over it. Bad things happened to innocents. Racism still exists among and within all races. Racism is openly despised by all races. Racism as a subject is a multi-billion dollar enterprise. Hey.... I wonder why racism will never go away.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
So you read that article - right? That fellowship is not being handed out and they are trying to get the provisions changed. The NAACP has been fighting against the scholarship since 1949 because one of its provisions is that it has to go to, among other things, a caucasian. As Blue noted, there are Irish scholarships, and German scholarships, etc. And those countries by in large are Caucasian. However, when looking through some of them, I haven't found a one that mentions color. On the other hand, scholarships for minorities are purely racial in nature and goal. Apparently, all Hispanics are the same, all blacks are from the country of Africa, and Asia is a nationality. Who knew?

It is a little funny that the OP is if the dating site is racist - which it seems that most of us agree that it is not. Yet the real question seems to be more about whether there is a double standard - or reverse discrimination. Of course there is.

Jrry's article states the reason for challenging the fund as - “Columbia University is now prohibited by law and University policy from discriminating on the basis of race.” Yet this same university accepts and administers scholarships from their Black Alumni Council and other race based organizations. How do they rationalize it?
"There's a difference between considering race as a factor in giving a scholarship where you're trying to cultivate diversity, versus a scholarship where the intent is to exclude people based upon perceived inferiority of their race"

So in other words, we don't allow discrimination based on race unless we find that it is for the right reasons. Now. Does anyone seriously contend that if someone wanted to form the White Alumni Council at Columbia that they could then hand out fellowships to "whites" only? Or does coming up with a "whites" only scholarship automatically mean you are doing it because you feel all other skin colors are inferior whereas by virtue of a group being "black" they are only doing it out of a quest for diversity? Nah - there's no double standard.

And can someone name me the country or race that doesn't have at least some racial tendencies? Can someone name the country that NEVER had any kind of slavery? In a nefarious exchange of "goods", is the buyer or the seller more culpable? Is it only "white" slave owners that were the problem?

My thought is that we will never get over it until we get over it. Bad things happened to innocents. Racism still exists among and within all races. Racism is openly despised by all races. Racism as a subject is a multi-billion dollar enterprise. Hey.... I wonder why racism will never go away.

In this instance(scholarships), there is a double standard. But there's also good reasons why they exist.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
In this instance(scholarships), there is a double standard. But there's also good reasons why they exist.
There isn't a double standard in other areas?

At Columbia - I pick that college to keep consistency here - the Caucasian population is 36% compared to the US which comes in at 72%. African American? 12% to 12%
upload_2014-1-16_18-50-8.jpeg

So are you saying percentage wise there are half as many Caucasians wanting to go to Columbia? Or have a crapload of Caucasians been denied opportunity due to race? Or is there some other reason?

I would contend that any good reasons for racial preference have passed their expiration date. I can see helping the poor by giving them a spring board but helping someone based on race? I fail to see the real benefit besides either assuaging some self serving interest his pound of guilt or making some other self serving interest feel important. By simply saying you are (enter race here) so therefore you have been exploited or you should not be expected to have qualified on your own merits or you need help, you are extending racism and making racists out of the people who were denied because of the color of their skin.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
There isn't a double standard in other areas?

At Columbia - I pick that college to keep consistency here - the Caucasian population is 36% compared to the US which comes in at 72%. African American? 12% to 12%
View attachment 1113

So are you saying percentage wise there are half as many Caucasians wanting to go to Columbia? Or have a crapload of Caucasians been denied opportunity due to race? Or is there some other reason?

I would contend that any good reasons for racial preference have passed their expiration date. I can see helping the poor by giving them a spring board but helping someone based on race? I fail to see the real benefit besides either assuaging some self serving interest his pound of guilt or making some other self serving interest feel important. By simply saying you are (enter race here) so therefore you have been exploited or you should not be expected to have qualified on your own merits or you need help, you are extending racism and making racists out of the people who were denied because of the color of their skin.

Well, if you look at Columbia's demographics, here they are in comparison to the US:
US
White - 72.4%
Black - 12.6%
Asian - 4.8%
Hispanic - 16.4%
Native American - 0.9%

Columbia
2.2% Native American
22.4% Asian
13.5% Black
17.2% Hispanic
38.4% White
6.3% Unknown

It seems to me that Asian students are the ones that makes up the greatest disparity. Maybe it's less about race and more about Asian students just doing better than white students?

Better yet, even if they do allow in qualified minorities due to their race...who is to say that is wrong? Do you think that black people, Hispanic people and Native Americans might be better off today if they were not discriminated against and robbed of rights for so long? Black people weren't given a fair shot at equal education until the Civil Rights Act of 1964. I think it takes a little more than 50 years to put things back into balance and try to set them right. So yes, it's perfectly understandable for why they happen and why they are necessary.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Well, if you look at Columbia's demographics, here they are in comparison to the US:
US
White - 72.4%
Black - 12.6%
Asian - 4.8%
Hispanic - 16.4%
Native American - 0.9%

Columbia
2.2% Native American
22.4% Asian
13.5% Black
17.2% Hispanic
38.4% White
6.3% Unknown

It seems to me that Asian students are the ones that makes up the greatest disparity. Maybe it's less about race and more about Asian students just doing better than white students?

Better yet, even if they do allow in qualified minorities due to their race...who is to say that is wrong? Do you think that black people, Hispanic people and Native Americans might be better off today if they were not discriminated against and robbed of rights for so long? Black people weren't given a fair shot at equal education until the Civil Rights Act of 1964. I think it takes a little more than 50 years to put things back into balance and try to set them right. So yes, it's perfectly understandable for why they happen and why they are necessary.

I would agree that Asians have a higher percentage due to being better students. (Of course maybe that is a racist statement in and of itself.) But they also are allowed scholarships directed at Asians. Why? Why does that not receive the ire of the NAACP like the ONE fellowship that mentions Caucasians?

It will never be enough time if there is a way for people to make money pushing racial tension and preference. The crimes against humanity are world wide and we as a country are not unique.

Better off? That is truly debatable. I mean if we are going to be completely honest, do you think people in Zimbawe for example are better off than African Americans in the US? Today? For the last 50 years? 300 years? If so - how and why? Hell - there has been a slave trade in Africa for thousands of years and there is STILL slave trade in Africa. Is it only bad if it is a Caucasian owning the slave? Do the Greeks, Germans, Italians, and Spanish get a pass? Are there such diversity scholarships awarded for schools in other countries? Maybe they do - not sure.

I guess I'll wait to see how you figure Hispanics into this equation.

As to Native Americans - they would likely still be living free if the world was a vacuum. Do you really for one second think they would have been left alone to determine their own destiny if Europeans hadn't settled here? Personally, I don't think I owe them anything other than my viewing them as any other human being. Did they go through atrocities? Certainly. Is there a country in the world today that has not that in its history? Nope.

Sorry but I just don't believe the programs continuing in the name of racial equality and diversification are helping to eliminate racism but instead deepen the pockets of the likes of David Duke, Jessie Jackson, and Al Sharpton.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I would agree that Asians have a higher percentage due to being better students. (Of course maybe that is a racist statement in and of itself.) But they also are allowed scholarships directed at Asians. Why? Why does that not receive the ire of the NAACP like the ONE fellowship that mentions Caucasians?

It will never be enough time if there is a way for people to make money pushing racial tension and preference. The crimes against humanity are world wide and we as a country are not unique.

Better off? That is truly debatable. I mean if we are going to be completely honest, do you think people in Zimbawe for example are better off than African Americans in the US? Today? For the last 50 years? 300 years? If so - how and why? Hell - there has been a slave trade in Africa for thousands of years and there is STILL slave trade in Africa. Is it only bad if it is a Caucasian owning the slave? Do the Greeks, Germans, Italians, and Spanish get a pass? Are there such diversity scholarships awarded for schools in other countries? Maybe they do - not sure.

I guess I'll wait to see how you figure Hispanics into this equation.

As to Native Americans - they would likely still be living free if the world was a vacuum. Do you really for one second think they would have been left alone to determine their own destiny if Europeans hadn't settled here? Personally, I don't think I owe them anything other than my viewing them as any other human being. Did they go through atrocities? Certainly. Is there a country in the world today that has not that in its history? Nope.

Sorry but I just don't believe the programs continuing in the name of racial equality and diversification are helping to eliminate racism but instead deepen the pockets of the likes of David Duke, Jessie Jackson, and Al Sharpton.

Honestly, RF503, I think these arguments are excuses. "Everyone else does it". "If not us, someone else would have did it." That doesn't make it right. And it doesn't mean we should pretend it didn't happen. And yes, some of this is necessary to try and set things right. They balance things out the way they should be because people of those races/ethnicity were denied the things necessary to become educated and successful for so long. 50 years isn't enough time to put things back into balance.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
No excuses. Two wrongs don't make a right. And you can't rob someone and tell them they are better off because someone who looked like them robbed your great grandfather.

If a person needs help - they need help. How many years will balance that out? It is not in the interest of those making a career out of "balancing things out" to ever truly have it balance. And that goes for just about everything.

BTW - when and where was it ever in balance to be able to put it back? What is "in balance"? Is there a quantifiable #? Is there a point when you will ever be able to say you "cured" racism? It is never ending until it is just ended.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
No excuses. Two wrongs don't make a right. And you can't rob someone and tell them they are better off because someone who looked like them robbed your great grandfather.

That's the issue. You're assuming this is a wrong. It's not. And it's not robbing anyone. It's setting something right. It would be more akin to you paying the grandson of a man your grandfather robbed back.

If a person needs help - they need help. How many years will balance that out? It is not in the interest of those making a career out of "balancing things out" to ever truly have it balance. And that goes for just about everything.

BTW - when and where was it ever in balance to be able to put it back? What is "in balance"? Is there a quantifiable #? Is there a point when you will ever be able to say you "cured" racism? It is never ending until it is just ended.

I don't know. But it sure as hell isn't hurting to try.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Bringing this back to the original question which is for me:
Does what you communicate that indicates a racial preference apply to all people or is it OK to say "Hey we WANT black people here " because white people oppressed OTHER black people and to use that as an excuse EVEN though your expression of preference excludes several other ethnicities?
Is it OK to serve a black man at the lunch counter but make it clear to him you don't want to?
In the end racist public pronouncements reveal the "heart and mind "far more than they actually harm the target. So I say it's as racist as the use of the "N word" and those who can't come to that realization are using criteria not pertinent to the central question and indeed using dysfunctional behavior as an excuse for FURTHER dysfunctional behavior IOW simply put two wrongs don't make a right.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
That's the issue. You're assuming this is a wrong. It's not. And it's not robbing anyone. It's setting something right. It would be more akin to you paying the grandson of a man your grandfather robbed back.

I don't know. But it sure as hell isn't hurting to try.

Except that my grandfather not only didn't rob anyone, his ancestors weren't even in the same country as the robbery victim. Nope. Don't owe him anything either and my kids and their kids certainly shouldn't.

And how did you come up with the idea that it is not hurting to try? Reverse racism hurts every bit as much as racism if you are not the protected or benefitted race. It just appears to benefit the race that benefits from the racism. It also exacerbates the problem and costs millions in the name of a fairness that it can never hope to actually attain and has no actual measuring stick for its success.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Except that my grandfather not only didn't rob anyone, his ancestors weren't even in the same country as the robbery victim. Nope. Don't owe him anything either and my kids and their kids certainly shouldn't.

And how did you come up with the idea that it is not hurting to try? Reverse racism hurts every bit as much as racism if you are not the protected or benefitted race. It just appears to benefit the race that benefits from the racism. It also exacerbates the problem and costs millions in the name of a fairness that it can never hope to actually attain and has no actual measuring stick for its success.

No, you don't. So what are you giving up? You can't meet black people on a dating site? :wink:

I disagree with the second sentence. I just don't think it really has that much of a profound effect.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
http://nces.ed.gov/fastfacts/display.asp?id=72

That's why its deemed needed for scholarships to minorities. That and again, you can get them for being white. shyte you can get them for anything. Being raised by a single parent, being a certain major, being a veteran, anything.

You can't get them for being white. You CAN get them for being Irish or German etc... However, when you do a little digging (turns out my wife and son looked into some for kids of German descent) you have to essentially be participating in the traditions and/or show what you have done to create and maintain ties to your German heritage. You can't just get them due to the color of your skin - as in African American, Hispanic, Asian. I also guarantee you that in two of the examples you used - single parent, certain majors - there are race based preferences.

So let me get this straight. Using stats from the same site you posted, 48% of White HS grads attend college and 46% of Black HS grads attend college. Yet your argument is that we need more of these programs because over 70% of the degrees go to Whites whereas 10% go to Blacks. Yeah - looks like the programs are working flawlessly.

And scholarships are only the example of the broader issue. It doesn't end there. Jobs, loans, etc... And IMO when you give preferential treatment to someone based on the color of their skin, it is simply wrong and is by definition - racist.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
No, you don't. So what are you giving up? You can't meet black people on a dating site? :wink:

I disagree with the second sentence. I just don't think it really has that much of a profound effect.

Yeah - Dang it. Who are they to tell me who I can't date?

Good debating with you man.

Cheers.

bluecoconuts

Legend
You can't get them for being white. You CAN get them for being Irish or German etc... However, when you do a little digging (turns out my wife and son looked into some for kids of German descent) you have to essentially be participating in the traditions and/or show what you have done to create and maintain ties to your German heritage. You can't just get them due to the color of your skin - as in African American, Hispanic, Asian. I also guarantee you that in two of the examples you used - single parent, certain majors - there are race based preferences.

So let me get this straight. Using stats from the same site you posted, 48% of White HS grads attend college and 46% of Black HS grads attend college. Yet your argument is that we need more of these programs because over 70% of the degrees go to Whites whereas 10% go to Blacks. Yeah - looks like the programs are working flawlessly.

And scholarships are only the example of the broader issue. It doesn't end there. Jobs, loans, etc... And IMO when you give preferential treatment to someone based on the color of their skin, it is simply wrong and is by definition - racist.

The point is they're trying to close the gap of college degrees, so they want to ensure that college is an attractive option. Again, you can get scholarships for anything. Who cares if they get scholarships for being black? Does that effect you? Again, if you look hard enough you can get them for anything.

Now when you're talking about getting jobs, I don't agree with that. Especially when you are talking about police or fire fighters, I think it should be the best most qualified person. I don't agree with that policy at all, but I'm also not stupid enough to believe that there aren't people out there that would refuse to hire minorities even if they were qualified if they could. Shit, people try to do it now even with laws saying you can't. Still though, I want the most qualified people getting important jobs. In fact that's why I turned down LAPD after going through their hiring process, I saw people fail to make the cut because they didn't get bonus points for being a minority, woman, or gay. In fact LAPD would send me e-mails asking me to talk to those groups and tell them to apply and that they would get bonus points. Talking to other officers, they told me how they had people in their class who were so bad, and had horrid pasts (including drugs, gangs, felonies) that were passed based on being a minority, and LAPD trying so hard to shake the stigma that they're racist. Needless to say I wanted to work with the best, and I wasn't impressed the further along I went. Thus when it came time for me to go to the academy I respectfully declined.

When it comes to scholarships, why should I care? It doesn't effect me any, why should I be upset that people are getting incentive to go to school? I get incentive to go to school. The Government pays me to go to school, and quite a bit of it too, are you upset about that too? Because unlike the vast majority of scholarships that is money that could actually be spent elsewhere. I think more people should go school, not less. It's better for our country, and if private entities want to invest in certain groups then they should be free to do so.

I mean for fucks sake you can get a scholarship for writing a 250 word essay about how you would survive a zombie apocalypse. For being tall, short, whatever. And yes there have been scholarships for being white. The point is everyone can get a scholarship if they look hard enough. So why be upset about it? It's not racist, it doesn't hurt anyone, it doesn't do anything.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
The point is they're trying to close the gap of college degrees, so they want to ensure that college is an attractive option. Again, you can get scholarships for anything. Who cares if they get scholarships for being black? Does that effect you? Again, if you look hard enough you can get them for anything.

Now when you're talking about getting jobs, I don't agree with that. Especially when you are talking about police or fire fighters, I think it should be the best most qualified person. I don't agree with that policy at all, but I'm also not stupid enough to believe that there aren't people out there that would refuse to hire minorities even if they were qualified if they could. shyte, people try to do it now even with laws saying you can't. Still though, I want the most qualified people getting important jobs. In fact that's why I turned down LAPD after going through their hiring process, I saw people fail to make the cut because they didn't get bonus points for being a minority, woman, or gay. In fact LAPD would send me e-mails asking me to talk to those groups and tell them to apply and that they would get bonus points. Talking to other officers, they told me how they had people in their class who were so bad, and had horrid pasts (including drugs, gangs, felonies) that were passed based on being a minority, and LAPD trying so hard to shake the stigma that they're racist. Needless to say I wanted to work with the best, and I wasn't impressed the further along I went. Thus when it came time for me to go to the academy I respectfully declined.

When it comes to scholarships, why should I care? It doesn't effect me any, why should I be upset that people are getting incentive to go to school? I get incentive to go to school. The Government pays me to go to school, and quite a bit of it too, are you upset about that too? Because unlike the vast majority of scholarships that is money that could actually be spent elsewhere. I think more people should go school, not less. It's better for our country, and if private entities want to invest in certain groups then they should be free to do so.

I mean for fucks sake you can get a scholarship for writing a 250 word essay about how you would survive a zombie apocalypse. For being tall, short, whatever. And yes there have been scholarships for being white. The point is everyone can get a scholarship if they look hard enough. So why be upset about it? It's not racist, it doesn't hurt anyone, it doesn't do anything.

Well, I'd have to disagree with you on the point it doesn't affect me or hurt anyone. It's the same as you stated with the LAPD. If you give someone, less likely to succeed or less qualified, a scholarship or job just because of the color of their skin, you hurt the person that would of done something with that opportunity. That's wasteful to society and hurtful to the poor souls that become victim to such failed policies. And when tax dollars get involved, it drains all our pockets when someone wastes the opportunity while someone maybe more motivated misses the chance.

Affirmative Actions policies hurt the people that it is aimed to help the most. It certainly sends the wrong message to the youth that benefit from it by saying, "You get special treatment because of the color of your skin". Terrible reality will set in one day when they later find out you have to work for what you get and life isn't fair. Everybody isn't equal. Some people are smarter than you, stronger than you, better looking than you, luckier than you, and know more important people than you and your only weapon to try and level the playing field is hard ass work, period. And that's all I got to say about that! (watched Forrest Gump again the other night).

Status
Not open for further replies.