Inexperience Aside, Rams Say the O-Line Will be Ready

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

fearsomefour

Legend
Scott Wells Sore Spot?

Wells versus Robinson- Scott Wells swan songs and Green Bay victories pale compared to, Scott's personal history...Scott Wells is a hero!:):)

(( Scott Wells is married to Julie Crosthwait Wells , and they have had a son Jackson (born 2004), a daughter Lola (born 2006), and a son Kingston (born 2010)).

The couple had lost premature twin sons, Deacon Scott Wells and Maddox Scott Wells as a result off stillbirth on November 24, 2005, the year before Lola's birth.

Saint Louis Rams sign Scott Wells March 16, 2012. In 2012, the Wells adopted three children from Uganda, ages 2 through 5 - Caroline, Elijah, and R.J.

Caroline was revealed in 2011 to be the biological sister to R.J. The Wells' are actively involved in Churches of Christ. Scott has earned two B.A. degrees in history and sociology...How could Scott give quality time to Jeff Fisher's Saint Louis Rams?

Greg Robinson? Remakes himself into offensive lineman superman in offseason... An amazingly Agile 315 pound offensive assassin Left Tackle, team leader.... MR. Robinson sets awesome example for NFL's youngest offensive line...Lean Mean Bulldozing Machines...

See The Future!!!

Scott Wells is the ideal husband, the ideal Dad! No doubt about it(y)

Mr. Robinson is one BAD ASS dominating MotherF'ck'rrrr! It's Mr. Robinson's neighborhood NOW!!! Leading future RAMS championship teams into battle!

Can you say...Dynasty? :ROFLMAO::cool: Sure, sure you can...I knew you could.;)
I like the way you say Die nasty!

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6x5HUXFxmo

Hey Im a nice guy too that does plenty of good things for the community....but you don't want me blocking either.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Really, Havenstein played & practiced well for the senior bowl...I just prejudged him on his combine....and thought the worst....looks like I was wrong....

I got a buddy who loves the Louisville Cards and said their o-line stank...glad he appears to be wrong as well...

I always liked Donnal....

Think Wichmann can be a stud too

Like Battle more and more...

shit, we're good to go!!!!!

JUMAVA68

Starter
Name
Manuel
We'll find out if they're ready after week 1.
There really is no better way to test them than against that defense.

Side note: If we come out flat in this game, I'm gonna be so freaking miserable. I really am tired of that.
Yep I'll be very disappointed if they come out flat yet again.Granted that it's a tough test against Sea but we've managed to play them tight with less.And if the team as a whole not just the defense wants to take that next step it has to start in that game.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I didn't think Battle was playing in regular season games until next year. Why the vested interest?
As long as Battle is on the 53 man roster, their is the chance he will be called on to play this year. Fisher himself said as much! You don't use up a roster spot to keep someone red shirted, if your smart. Ask the 49ers how well that worked for them!

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
I think a lot of us, myself included, REALLY underestimated the adjustment period under Gregg Williams.

We were solid the year before and there was a ton of excitement, but as we know now, Gregg Williams' D is complicated.

And that explains why there were so many busted coverages and guys just not getting off. Doesn't explain why Robert Quinn couldn't get a holding call in the first 5 weeks, but that's another story.

Now, with a full year under Williams and all those rooks and 2nd year guys acclimated... I fully expect all of them to not only come out individually, but as a unit with their hair on fire.

And so far, the D has been pretty impressive. We don't know what we have in the back 7, yet, but Brockers seems to have continued to improve enough that he's keeping Nick Fairley in sub packages. Nick Fairley...

This D has the personnel to go Big Nickel and then switch to a 3-4, then flip to a traditional 4-3

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
As long as Battle is on the 53 man roster, their is the chance he will be called on to play this year. Fisher himself said as much! You don't use up a roster spot to keep someone red shirted, if your smart. Ask the 49ers how well that worked for them!
I am excited about Battle. I am not sure what we have yet, but he is big and long and athletic. I heard from Fish he needs some more lower body development. He doesn't seem to get abused by any Dlineman, as a rookie without even OTA's probably should be. I wonder if he could fill in at LT, as well as RT in the near future (if necessary)? I can't remember a time in recent memory where we had such depth on the Oline....

FRO

Legend
I think a lot of us, myself included, REALLY underestimated the adjustment period under Gregg Williams.

We were solid the year before and there was a ton of excitement, but as we know now, Gregg Williams' D is complicated.

And that explains why there were so many busted coverages and guys just not getting off. Doesn't explain why Robert Quinn couldn't get a holding call in the first 5 weeks, but that's another story.

Now, with a full year under Williams and all those rooks and 2nd year guys acclimated... I fully expect all of them to not only come out individually, but as a unit with their hair on fire.

And so far, the D has been pretty impressive. We don't know what we have in the back 7, yet, but Brockers seems to have continued to improve enough that he's keeping Nick Fairley in sub packages. Nick Fairley...

This D has the personnel to go Big Nickel and then switch to a 3-4, then flip to a traditional 4-3
The 2013 defense started out horrible too and didn't improve until Walton was stripped of his play calling duties. There are zero excuses for a slow start, unless injuries hit. This defense is getting the media hype and love. They better perform.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
First of all, I've gotta say that Foles doesn't strike me as a QB that's likely to start off slow. Not hardly. He strikes me as a QB that burns to win and the stats and everything else take a back seat to the win. Furthermore, I believe that attitude is contagious in an emotional game like football.

I don't see a slow start for the D either. Fisher and GW have been preaching fast start since OTA's. They've assimilated GW's system and are highly motivated. It comes through in every single interview of a D player. Every single starter returns plus Fairley and Ayers have been added. That's rare. The swagger on D is definitely back.

Our ST have been among the league's best for a couple of years. Why should we not expect that to continue? Fisher places great importance on ST and coach Bones is gifted.

Yeah, the young OL is gonna have it's struggles. But it's gonna have it's moments, too. I fully expect it to be better than last year's version from the jump and by mid season it will likely be above average if not semi dominant.

And if the players can't get up for playing the Seahawks in our house, then who CAN they get up for? I expect a knock down drag out game from the very first play to the last. They know this game is not only important, but they know that it will set the tone for the entire season.

But my biggest reason for optimism comes back to Foles. He's just light years better than Hill or Davis.

Frankly, there are ZERO excuses for a slow start this year.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Do not underestimate Rhaney. In my honest opinion, I believe that he's the best center for our team. He's not as smart as Jones or as experienced as Barnes or as, er...pun-able as Wang, but the guy is the only one to have really held his own against our D-Line. He did well in his prior pre-season games last year until he got hurt. I want him to win the job.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
It's not very often that the offensive line is the unit I'm most excited to watch in the pre-season. But it is this year. I especially want to see Battle in action. I hope he gets to play a large amount of reps to catch up.
I think you save that for Dallas.The QB's need solid reps were they don't get hurt.

Last edited:

RamBill

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Havenstein, Brown Looking to Make Immediate Impact
By Myles Simmons

View: http://www.stlouisrams.com/news-and-events/article-1/Havenstein-Brown-Looking-to-Make-Immediate-Impact/f7be54f8-b18d-4ce9-a5ce-11ef98cfb7e7

It’s rare to see two rookies not only playing next to one another, but also excelling on an offensive line in the NFL. But that’s exactly what Rob Havenstein and Jamon Brown will strive to do for the Rams in 2015.

Havenstein and Brown, the No. 57 and No. 72 overall picks in the spring’s draft, respectively, have been working with the first unit at right tackle and right guard in training camp. The Rams invested heavily in their offensive line this offseason, in part because of the surplus of talent at the position coming out of college.

“This year’s draft, at least subjectively, we felt like there were some quality guys and we could maybe address our goal of building a unit where we can now grow them together,” general manager Les Snead said just before the start of camp. “If this draft wouldn’t have been that deep in our minds, maybe we would’ve gone about it in a different way. So it wasn’t just, ‘Hey, let’s go young.’ [It was], ‘Let’s get quality players that we can groom and grow together for the long term.’”

And so Havenstein and Brown now have the goal of developing as a core unit on the right side. It’s a task made easier given how well the pair gets along.

“Jamon and I have a great relationship,” Havenstein said. “Anytime he walks in, he’s smiling, cracking jokes. But when it’s time to work, it’s time to work. And something I really admire about Jamon is he really gets after it, but he knows how to have a good time.”

“Rob and I work together a lot,” Brown said. “And Rob is a person who grasps the system pretty well. So when I have a question or a problem, pretty much he and I can sit down, we can talk it through, kind of figure it out together.”

The two developed a system during rookie orientation and OTAs where they would sit next to each other in the meeting room, sometimes whispering vocal notes back and forth to ensure a solid grasp of the system.

“I don’t want to come out and make a call that I had in college and he has no idea what I’m talking about. So we really wanted to learn the lingo as fast as possible, learning at the same speed together,” Havenstein said. “And that just puts us on the same page, especially on the field.”

Both Havenstein and Brown gave plenty of credit to fellow offensive lineman Rodger Saffold for his leadership. Entering his sixth NFL season, Saffold has been around long enough to know how to inform young linemen of keys to success when they enter the league.

“Rodger’s the type of guy you really want to stick close to in any aspect of life -- whether that’s the weight room, practice, film room, anything that has to do with how to be a professional football player,” Havenstein said. “He demands a lot out of us young guys, but it’s something that we’re definitely more than happy to prove to him that we have his back.”

“He’s kind of taken me under his wing and given me little insights that he’s experienced at playing guard and different things that I’m most likely going to experience, too,” Brown said of Saffold. “Having him in my ear, kind of giving me advice and different things that he knows helps me out a lot.”

So far, Saffold has liked the inquisitive nature of both rookies.

“Right now, they’re asking questions, which is good,” Saffold said. “They’re working hard, running to the ball. Those types of things are going to make them good when the season comes around.”

The duo has also performed well enough to earn the praise of veteran offensive line coach Paul T. Boudreau.

“Every day, they just do something more to impress me,” Boudreau said. “The good thing about Rob is in the offseason, when we went on vacation, they were here. And he was having meetings in the room and they were going over the cut ups that they had on the iPad.”

“He and Jamon are working really well together,” Boudreau continued. “Jamon is physical as hell. He was at tackle [in college], but he is really suited to be a guard. He’s got great quickness. Playing against Aaron [Donald] every day has helped him out as far as leverage and balance, because Aaron doesn’t take a play off.”

Boudreau has spent many years working with a variety of O-linemen, and said that normally he wouldn’t like two rookies playing next to one another. But Havenstein and Brown aren’t typical first-year pros.

“They’re so smart it really doesn’t matter now,” Boudreau said. “If one guy was having trouble learning and the other guy was new to the NFL, I’d probably move Rodger over and put the other guy next to Greg. But I think in their case, they’ve been working so well together, I have no issue with that.”

Neither does head coach Jeff Fisher, who has consistently complimented the work of both rookies throughout training camp.

“I have no reservations whatsoever when we line up for the opener, playing rookie offensive linemen,” Fisher said. “They’re going to get plenty of reps and they’re the best that we’ll put on the field in confidence.”

“To receive that from him is awesome,” Havenstein said of Fisher’s comments. “I still have a lot of work to do. I’ve got to make sure I’m solid in everything I do."

“There can’t be any excuse for me being young, or a rookie -- that kind of gets thrown out the window if I want to help this team win in any way I can,” Havenstein added. “I’ve got to go ahead and make sure my assignments are correct and then hone in on making sure my technique is solid.”

While Saffold has been helping the rookies in that area, one aspect that may aid in the pair’s progression is that they are working side-by-side. Saffold has somewhat undergone the same process of developing a bond by partnering with left tackle Greg Robinson not only on the field, but also during the offseason. But the veteran guard said being a part of the same rookie class inherently connects players.

“It’s just a special bond between the guys that you got drafted with and it’s great to be able to have that fit,” Saffold said. “If you do the right things, it can last for a long time -- long friendships. And then as they become older and as they become veterans, it’s easier for things to pick up for them.”

Yet even as rookies, the connection between Havenstein and Brown has been helpful for both in acclimating to their new environment.

“You know, it makes you feel like you’re not in it alone,” Brown said. “Day in and day out, Rob and I, we face pretty much the same problems -- different fronts, different looks that we see out there. And having those different situations that come up helps us be able to kind of sit down and really learn the system and put it to work. And put the rules to work and really understand what we’re doing out there.”

Excelling at the pro level as a rookie is never easy. But both players cited having trust and love for their teammates as brothers as the biggest key to making the offensive front click as one unit.

“I think it comes down to having that a little more,” Havenstein said. “I play next to Jamon and I have to know how he plays on certain blocks. Some guys will play certain things differently. He has to know how I play and what I’m thinking, and I guess I really have to know how he’s going to play and he has to know how I’m going to play if we’re really going to make this thing work.”

“Offensive line is a group that isn’t individually based,” Brown said. “We’ve got to be a cohesive group, meaning we’ve got to be together. So to me, the camaraderie between all five of us can help us overcome different forms of adversity that we’re going to see.”

If the first few weeks of camp are any indication, the bond between teammates has already formed a solid foundation. And if that trust continues to grow, the Rams could have a strong offensive line for years to come with a right side anchored by two members of the 2015 rookie class.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
“Offensive line is a group that isn’t individually based,” Brown said. “We’ve got to be a cohesive group, meaning we’ve got to be together. So to me, the camaraderie between all five of us can help us overcome different forms of adversity that we’re going to see.”

This really says it all. I'm glad he gets that. Pretty cool of Saffold, of being a good example of being a Pro.

jjab360

Legend
Do not underestimate Rhaney. In my honest opinion, I believe that he's the best center for our team. He's not as smart as Jones or as experienced as Barnes or as, er...pun-able as Wang, but the guy is the only one to have really held his own against our D-Line. He did well in his prior pre-season games last year until he got hurt. I want him to win the job.
He's probably the most athletic and maybe the most physically talented, but of all the positions on the O-line, C is by far the one where physical talent matters the least. First and foremost, we need a C who can make all the correct line calls, adjustments, and blitz pickups.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Havenstein, Brown Looking to Make Immediate Impact
By Myles Simmons

View: http://www.stlouisrams.com/news-and-events/article-1/Havenstein-Brown-Looking-to-Make-Immediate-Impact/f7be54f8-b18d-4ce9-a5ce-11ef98cfb7e7

It’s rare to see two rookies not only playing next to one another, but also excelling on an offensive line in the NFL. But that’s exactly what Rob Havenstein and Jamon Brown will strive to do for the Rams in 2015.

Havenstein and Brown, the No. 57 and No. 72 overall picks in the spring’s draft, respectively, have been working with the first unit at right tackle and right guard in training camp. The Rams invested heavily in their offensive line this offseason, in part because of the surplus of talent at the position coming out of college.

“This year’s draft, at least subjectively, we felt like there were some quality guys and we could maybe address our goal of building a unit where we can now grow them together,” general manager Les Snead said just before the start of camp. “If this draft wouldn’t have been that deep in our minds, maybe we would’ve gone about it in a different way. So it wasn’t just, ‘Hey, let’s go young.’ [It was], ‘Let’s get quality players that we can groom and grow together for the long term.’”

And so Havenstein and Brown now have the goal of developing as a core unit on the right side. It’s a task made easier given how well the pair gets along.

“Jamon and I have a great relationship,” Havenstein said. “Anytime he walks in, he’s smiling, cracking jokes. But when it’s time to work, it’s time to work. And something I really admire about Jamon is he really gets after it, but he knows how to have a good time.”

“Rob and I work together a lot,” Brown said. “And Rob is a person who grasps the system pretty well. So when I have a question or a problem, pretty much he and I can sit down, we can talk it through, kind of figure it out together.”

The two developed a system during rookie orientation and OTAs where they would sit next to each other in the meeting room, sometimes whispering vocal notes back and forth to ensure a solid grasp of the system.

“I don’t want to come out and make a call that I had in college and he has no idea what I’m talking about. So we really wanted to learn the lingo as fast as possible, learning at the same speed together,” Havenstein said. “And that just puts us on the same page, especially on the field.”

Both Havenstein and Brown gave plenty of credit to fellow offensive lineman Rodger Saffold for his leadership. Entering his sixth NFL season, Saffold has been around long enough to know how to inform young linemen of keys to success when they enter the league.

“Rodger’s the type of guy you really want to stick close to in any aspect of life -- whether that’s the weight room, practice, film room, anything that has to do with how to be a professional football player,” Havenstein said. “He demands a lot out of us young guys, but it’s something that we’re definitely more than happy to prove to him that we have his back.”

“He’s kind of taken me under his wing and given me little insights that he’s experienced at playing guard and different things that I’m most likely going to experience, too,” Brown said of Saffold. “Having him in my ear, kind of giving me advice and different things that he knows helps me out a lot.”

So far, Saffold has liked the inquisitive nature of both rookies.

“Right now, they’re asking questions, which is good,” Saffold said. “They’re working hard, running to the ball. Those types of things are going to make them good when the season comes around.”

The duo has also performed well enough to earn the praise of veteran offensive line coach Paul T. Boudreau.

“Every day, they just do something more to impress me,” Boudreau said. “The good thing about Rob is in the offseason, when we went on vacation, they were here. And he was having meetings in the room and they were going over the cut ups that they had on the iPad.”

“He and Jamon are working really well together,” Boudreau continued. “Jamon is physical as hell. He was at tackle [in college], but he is really suited to be a guard. He’s got great quickness. Playing against Aaron [Donald] every day has helped him out as far as leverage and balance, because Aaron doesn’t take a play off.”

Boudreau has spent many years working with a variety of O-linemen, and said that normally he wouldn’t like two rookies playing next to one another. But Havenstein and Brown aren’t typical first-year pros.

“They’re so smart it really doesn’t matter now,” Boudreau said. “If one guy was having trouble learning and the other guy was new to the NFL, I’d probably move Rodger over and put the other guy next to Greg. But I think in their case, they’ve been working so well together, I have no issue with that.”

Neither does head coach Jeff Fisher, who has consistently complimented the work of both rookies throughout training camp.

“I have no reservations whatsoever when we line up for the opener, playing rookie offensive linemen,” Fisher said. “They’re going to get plenty of reps and they’re the best that we’ll put on the field in confidence.”

“To receive that from him is awesome,” Havenstein said of Fisher’s comments. “I still have a lot of work to do. I’ve got to make sure I’m solid in everything I do."

“There can’t be any excuse for me being young, or a rookie -- that kind of gets thrown out the window if I want to help this team win in any way I can,” Havenstein added. “I’ve got to go ahead and make sure my assignments are correct and then hone in on making sure my technique is solid.”

While Saffold has been helping the rookies in that area, one aspect that may aid in the pair’s progression is that they are working side-by-side. Saffold has somewhat undergone the same process of developing a bond by partnering with left tackle Greg Robinson not only on the field, but also during the offseason. But the veteran guard said being a part of the same rookie class inherently connects players.

“It’s just a special bond between the guys that you got drafted with and it’s great to be able to have that fit,” Saffold said. “If you do the right things, it can last for a long time -- long friendships. And then as they become older and as they become veterans, it’s easier for things to pick up for them.”

Yet even as rookies, the connection between Havenstein and Brown has been helpful for both in acclimating to their new environment.

“You know, it makes you feel like you’re not in it alone,” Brown said. “Day in and day out, Rob and I, we face pretty much the same problems -- different fronts, different looks that we see out there. And having those different situations that come up helps us be able to kind of sit down and really learn the system and put it to work. And put the rules to work and really understand what we’re doing out there.”

Excelling at the pro level as a rookie is never easy. But both players cited having trust and love for their teammates as brothers as the biggest key to making the offensive front click as one unit.

“I think it comes down to having that a little more,” Havenstein said. “I play next to Jamon and I have to know how he plays on certain blocks. Some guys will play certain things differently. He has to know how I play and what I’m thinking, and I guess I really have to know how he’s going to play and he has to know how I’m going to play if we’re really going to make this thing work.”

If the first few weeks of camp are any indication, the bond between teammates has already formed a solid foundation. And if that trust continues to grow, the Rams could have a strong offensive line for years to come with a right side anchored by two members of the 2015 rookie class.
I've got to give Miles credit on his writing skills.He put all the info in on this article.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
This really says it all. I'm glad he gets that. Pretty cool of Saffold, of being a good example of being a Pro.
Saffold was a 2nd rd pick who I believe was starting at LG to start his rookie year,only to move to starting LT. He did a real nice job his rookie year.Thiugh The Rams had a LT of future

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Saffold was a 2nd rd pick who I believe was starting at LG to start his rookie year,only to move to starting LT. He did a real nice job his rookie year.Thiugh The Rams had a LT of future

I'm pretty sure they drafted him to be the right tackle but after a couple of practices he was already better than Smith so they moved him to the left.

Alan

Legend
LoyalRam excited about the possibilities:
I am excited about Battle. I am not sure what we have yet, but he is big and long and athletic. I heard from Fish he needs some more lower body development. He doesn't seem to get abused by any Dlineman, as a rookie without even OTA's probably should be. I wonder if he could fill in at LT, as well as RT in the near future (if necessary)? I can't remember a time in recent memory where we had such depth on the Oline....
I'm not sure we have 5 decent starters much less good depth but getting Battle has definitely swung my perception of our O-line in a positive direction. Prior to drafting Battle I didn't really see any decent backup options at LT and now there's at least a chance we might have fixed that problem. Let's hope he gets a reasonable amount of playing time tonight.

Alan

Legend
jjab360 pooh-poohing the need for physicality at C:
He's probably the most athletic and maybe the most physically talented, but of all the positions on the O-line, C is by far the one where physical talent matters the least. First and foremost, we need a C who can make all the correct line calls, adjustments, and blitz pickups.
While I agree that the mental aspect is more important at center than the other O-line positions, I'm going with what Bou said about setting the pocket in the middle. Our problem right now seems to be that none of our Cs can anchor well against the bull rush. I'm less sure about Rhaney but I doubt there's much difference between Barnes and Jones when it comes to the mental aspects of the position. Jone's inability to anchor against the bull rush has been his weakness from day one. Supposedly the weight training regime they put him on was supposed to fix that. I haven't seen any evidence that that's been successful so far.