Inexperience Aside, Rams Say the O-Line Will be Ready

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Inexperience Aside, Rams Say the O-Line Will be Ready

Posted by: Luke Schnake

A rotating cast of characters has made the job of coordinating the Rams’ offensive line a difficult task in recent years, but that’s about to change.

Injuries and a lack of consistency has at times prevented the team’s o-line from thinking and working as a single unit.

The Rams are hoping that helping a young group grow together will be the answer.
rob havenstein

Rams OT Rob Havenstein stretches prior to training camp in Earth City.

Line coach Paul Boudreau has dealt with a revolving door of players in his time in St. Louis and says he’s happy to be helping a more youthful group grow into the line of the Rams’ future.

“Two years ago I was bringing guys in on Wednesday and starting them on Sunday.” Boudreau said. “I’d rather do this with the young guys than have to go through that. We’ve got some good depth. This is the best depth we’ve ever had here.”

That depth includes two rookies making up the right guard and tackle spots in Jamon Brown and Rob Havenstein.

The Rams staff has sung the praises of the rookies throughout training camp and they’ll see their first chance in a game situation Friday night in Oakland, followed by practice scrimmages with the Cowboys Aug. 17 and 18.

“We have a bunch of young guys just learning how to play and the good thing is we drafted guys that are smart and tough,” Boudreau said. “It’s kind of gelling together. It’ll be a good example to see how we’ve taught them on Friday night and then the work against Dallas is going to be invaluable.

Rookies often point to the speed of the game as a major difference between playing collegiately and professionally. Jamon Brown said as much during rookie camp early this summer, but says he’s slowed his game down by using the muscle between his ears.

“It’s definitely slowed down between the time we’ve been out here and through OTA’s and now this far into camp.” Brown said. “And I think in my case that’s from learning the playbook and learning the system. Coach (Boudreau) always says when you know what to do the game slows down for you.”

Boudreau points to the intelligence of his two rookies on the right as a reason he isn’t worried about inexperience on that side.

The fact Havenstein came from Wisconsin and Brown from Louisville, both schools that require their linemen to play in a three-point stance, is also helping in their grooming.

“If you’re coming from a team that runs the read-option and all those things where you’re in a two-point stance it is a major adjustment,” Boudreau said. “Luckily for us, Rob (Havenstein) coming out of Wisconsin played a pro offense and Louisville plays in a pro offense. So the guys we drafted have played with their hand on the ground. With Greg (Robinson) last year it was an adjustment because Auburn played in a two-point stance all the time…(Normally) you don’t like two rookies playing next to each other, but (Brown and Havenstein) are so smart.” Boudreau added.

Brown, in particular has blossomed in training camp going head-to-head with defensive tackle Aaron Donald every day.

“Jamon is physical as hell,” Boudreau said. “He was a tackle, but he’s really suited to be a guard. He’s got great quickness. Playing against Aaron every day has helped him out as far as leverage and balance because Aaron doesn’t take a play off.”

The 2015 O-Line may not have much NFL experience playing with each other, but they insist they’re ready to play as one unit. Game exposure is the only factor that will lead to growth on the field, but the crew is making sure they’re comfortable with each other off the turf.

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
It's not very often that the offensive line is the unit I'm most excited to watch in the pre-season. But it is this year. I especially want to see Battle in action. I hope he gets to play a large amount of reps to catch up.

JUMAVA68

Starter
Name
Manuel
Playing in a pro style offense at Wisconsin and Louisville will help make the adjustment easier for Havenstein and Brown.The more I hear about these two young studs the more I like the picks that at the time was not completely sold on,together with Saffold and Robinson they can help form 1 heck of oline.

Last edited:

A.J. Hicks

Hall of Fame
Name
zoomy
The more and more I watch games from last year the more and more Scott Wells stands out as a sore spot. He was really bad for us last year!

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
The more and more I watch games from last year the more and more Scott Wells stands out as a sore spot. He was really bad for us last year!
First off, I'm joking, secondly, I agree wholeheartedly.

Captain%20Obvious%20HotelsCom.jpg

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
When talking to fans of other teams..and heck, some on this site, I hear about how bad our Oline is...Once we figure out the best starting Center, I think we will be solid, and the guys will plow open running lanes. It will be nice to have the beef to blow open holes in the Dline...or just plain push them in the endzone on 4th and 1.
:owned:

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
It's not very often that the offensive line is the unit I'm most excited to watch in the pre-season. But it is this year. I especially want to see Battle in action. I hope he gets to play a large amount of reps to catch up.

I thought everybody watched Ram games to see the OL play??:confused:

Afro Ram

Pro Bowler

I didn't think Battle was playing in regular season games until next year. Why the vested interest?

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
I didn't think Battle was playing in regular season games until next year. Why the vested interest?

That red shirt stuff is hooey. Fisher has already said he's a few snaps from having to play if he makes the team. So I still want to see how well he manages himself considering his potential is arguably higher then the other lineman we drafted. Plus there have been solid reviews so far in camp even though he plays the 2's and what not.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
We'll find out if they're ready after week 1.
There really is no better way to test them than against that defense.

Side note: If we come out flat in this game, I'm gonna be so freaking miserable. I really am tired of that.

RamzFanz

Damnit
We'll find out if they're ready after week 1.
There really is no better way to test them than against that defense.

Side note: If we come out flat in this game, I'm gonna be so freaking miserable. I really am tired of that.

I don't envision the D coming out flat at all.

The O though...even if they have individual talent at every position, it's probably going to sputter for awhile. I'm preparing myself for it. I want to see competitiveness and 2+ wins then a post bye explosion.

FRO

Legend
The potential is there and this time next year our line may be considered a strength. It just takes times for rookies, no matter how pro ready and talented they are, to adapt and play well. The fact that 4/5ths of are starting line weren't starting in the league last year is cause for concern. It takes time for a line to gel as a unit. In a year or two we should reap the rewards of going young all at once because this line will have played together a lot and will be peaking physically.

RamzFanz

Damnit
I thought the same thing before the Vikings game last year.

Yeah... me too. If they come out flat this season I'll be shocked though. They look ready to crush in TC. It was obvious to us all they had to dial them back just so the offense could get reps, and that's not a slam on the O, they're just at different levels.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Well, I'd be lying if I told you I'm not concerned about the OL but I am feeling better lately. The reasons are Hav and Bro are obviously on the fast track and the Dallas practices will be like an additional pre-season game for them. I get the feeling that Battle is going to contribute THIS season too. And it is starting to dawn on me what the Rams strategy has been with drafting the specific OL that they did. It seems they drafted to the sum of the parts rather than the individual player rankings. They just may have pulled off a beautiful thing here.

FRO

Legend
I thought the same thing before the Vikings game last year.
That was one of the most depressing games I can remember. I mean I was still depressed about the Cleveland preseason game, but that Viking game signaled a lost year.

Ramsey

Starter
Name
Ramsey
Scott Wells Sore Spot?

Wells versus Robinson- Scott Wells swan songs and Green Bay victories pale compared to, Scott's personal history...Scott Wells is a hero!:):)

(( Scott Wells is married to Julie Crosthwait Wells , and they have had a son Jackson (born 2004), a daughter Lola (born 2006), and a son Kingston (born 2010)).

The couple had lost premature twin sons, Deacon Scott Wells and Maddox Scott Wells as a result off stillbirth on November 24, 2005, the year before Lola's birth.

Saint Louis Rams sign Scott Wells March 16, 2012. In 2012, the Wells adopted three children from Uganda, ages 2 through 5 - Caroline, Elijah, and R.J.

Caroline was revealed in 2011 to be the biological sister to R.J. The Wells' are actively involved in Churches of Christ. Scott has earned two B.A. degrees in history and sociology...How could Scott give quality time to Jeff Fisher's Saint Louis Rams?

Greg Robinson? Remakes himself into offensive lineman superman in offseason... An amazingly Agile 315 pound offensive assassin Left Tackle, team leader.... MR. Robinson sets awesome example for NFL's youngest offensive line...Lean Mean Bulldozing Machines...

See The Future!!!

Scott Wells is the ideal husband, the ideal Dad! No doubt about it(y)

Mr. Robinson is one BAD ASS dominating MotherF'ck'rrrr! It's Mr. Robinson's neighborhood NOW!!! Leading future RAMS championship teams into battle!

Can you say...Dynasty? :ROFLMAO::cool: Sure, sure you can...I knew you could.;)
I like the way you say Die nasty!

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6x5HUXFxmo

Last edited: