im worried about our Cornerbacks

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
Don't be surprised if they allow big plays during the regular season. With Williams's aggressive playstyle, you're bound to yield more lobbed passes but at the same time create more turnovers. Hopefully we'll yield more turnovers on defense than TDs.

Absolutely, we'll live and die by the blitz. BUT we'll be doing much more living than dieing, though. They'll get a few big plays, but their QB's will pay the price in doing so.

This team is geared for bringing the heat. That's why Walton had me clawing my eyes out last year.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
As much as i like Donald i think we should have drafted Dennard or Kyle Fuller.

Not one snap has been played. I guarantee you this, if Donald becomes the player he has the ability to be...he'll have a bigger impact on the game than any CB.

The Panthers were the #2 defense in the NFL last year due to their front 7. In the secondary, they were playing a career average CB in Munnerlyn, a journeyman in Florence, and a UDFA in White at CB with a guy considered to be a bust at FS in Mike Mitchell and a guy the Rams cut loose in Quintin Mikell at SS.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
im mainly talking about JJ hes supposed to be our number 1
A #1 isn't just named, they are #1 because of their play....Then they are usually assigned the opponents #1 wr.....This is a new year, perhaps Tru wants to play the #1, and get paid like a #1. :sneaky:

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
No concerns...Hell, I said earlier, 7 on 7 is really tough on defenders.....Just like blocking without pads is tough...Lets give jackrabbit a lil time....

For some reason, I am worried about McGee & Woody having tough days...Joyner and Gaines seem to be doing pretty good. Scrimmage in 6 days. we'll see.

GreeneCounty

Pro Bowler
Young guys I feel good about. Joyner and Gaines might have a learning curve but they could take Jenkins spot.

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
I loved Kyle Fuller as our second pick, and would've been happy with Dennard as well...but they're not Aaron Donald.

Donald was a no brainer selection when he dropped. Not even close.

jimitroutboy

@jimiramsboy
Name
Jim Fadler
There was a point yesterday where Brandon Fisher backed the corners off and that allowed the receivers a lot more room. They did start to show some of the blitzing yesterday for the first time

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
Not one snap has been played. I guarantee you this, if Donald becomes the player he has the ability to be...he'll have a bigger impact on the game than any CB.

The Panthers were the #2 defense in the NFL last year due to their front 7. In the secondary, they were playing a career average CB in Munnerlyn, a journeyman in Florence, and a UDFA in White at CB with a guy considered to be a bust at FS in Mike Mitchell and a guy the Rams cut loose in Quintin Mikell at SS.

Thanks for this Jrry.

Remember people, the sky is NOT falling. We need to see actual game time to judge this defense. IT IS THE THIRD DAY OF PRACTICE. remember that. We are just now seeing blitzing. Gaines has been stepping up, and I'm impressed with what I'm hearing about him. We also know what Tru and Janoris are. They are man cover corners. Hopefully they are given the opportunity to play to their strengths.

Athos

Legend
From all accounts, EJ Gaines seems to be improving.

Hopefully Jenkins turns things around.

Improving and from the guys going to the practices, helping other DBs get lined up.

Don't be surprised, imo, if Gaines starts stealing reps.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Don't be surprised if they allow big plays during the regular season. With Williams's aggressive playstyle, you're bound to yield more lobbed passes but at the same time create more turnovers. Hopefully we'll yield more turnovers on defense than TDs.

I can definitely see this as possible.

Just have to make sure it all evens out (burns vs. TOs).

And, as some here have said, it's only TC.

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
Young guys I feel good about. Joyner and Gaines might have a learning curve but they could take Jenkins spot.

:wtf:. Uh - love Joyner as well, and Gaines shows some promise, but...no they couldn't, and won't.

Irish

Starter
Can I ask a dumb question?

Why does Jenkins get picked apart and questioned on a regular basis on this board, but Tavon Austin gets a pass and defended? Jenkins starts, is on the field on almost every play, and is a de facto number one at a position that is very, very difficult to learn and play well. Austin, a player the rams traded a lot to get, was not used in every package on offense, struggled at times to get separation when speed is his primary weapon, and some argue the relative value of a player like him being drafted where he was.

I think all picks and players should be scrutinized, especially higher draft picks, but I can't wrap my mind around Austin apologists who in the next breath take every opportunity to critique Jenkins.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Why does Jenkins get picked apart and questioned on a regular basis on this board, but Tavon Austin gets a pass and defended? Jenkins starts, is on the field on almost every play, and is a de facto number one at a position that is very, very difficult to learn and play well. Austin, a player the rams traded a lot to get, was not used in every package on offense, struggled at times to get separation when speed is his primary weapon, and some argue the relative value of a player like him being drafted where he was.

I think all picks and players should be scrutinized, especially higher draft picks, but I can't wrap my mind around Austin apologists who in the next breath take every opportunity to critique Jenkins.

I'll take a stab at a possible reason.

Jenkins had what many would call a good rookie year. Some might even say very good.
But, then last year, he appeared to struggle. Now, you can say it was Walton and all, but there were plays where he just got beat (badly).

Austin, OTOH, was a rookie. And, he got hurt for what, threee games?

So, there's not a lot to critique with Austin but there's more to critique with Jenkins.

Maybe that's one reason.

Either way, both of these young men need to be solid contributors this year.

Alan

Legend
Irish confusing this forum with his old one:

I'll try to answer this.

I was totally against trading up for Tavon and have said so many times here but...Tavon has only has only played in the NFL for one year and his play was trending up after Schotty finally figured out how best to use him. The same cannot be said for JJ. If anything, JJ's performance is getting worse. We're all hoping that the defensive scheme Walton utilized last year was a huge part of the problem. You'll notice that no one is saying he sucks. We're just concerned. to a lesser or greater extent, about his play.

I also think you're confusing/conflating posts and attitudes from your former forum with those here at the ROD. We criticize picks here all the time but what we don't do is make blanket "he sucks" declarations and usually we have possible fixes in mind such as changes in schemes and play calling. If there is some aspect of Tavon's play that you have a concern with you should start a thread about it. Not everyone will agree with you but I'm sure there will be a good discussion about whatever part of his play you think needs improving.

Alan

Legend
Elmgrovegnome with a (maybe) prophetic comment:
Maybe they get a Corner in round 1 next year.
It's early but CB, OLB and OT are looking like priorities in FA/Draft next year. I was thinking WR would be high in that mix but I'm not so sure right now.

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
This is not directed at anyone in particular, but I find it pretty fucking amazing that there is an entire thread devoted to badmouthing the CBs. Seriously? :wtf:
The Rams have yet to practice in pads (other than STs), and there is actually discussion about what we need to draft next year? :palm: Anybody remember Justin King and Tye Hill.:bueller:

Oh...and whatever you do, don't even suggest that maybe, just maybe, the WRs are better than generally believed. :shades:

CoachO

Hall of Fame
A #1 isn't just named, they are #1 because of their play....Then they are usually assigned the opponents #1 wr.....This is a new year, perhaps Tru wants to play the #1, and get paid like a #1. :sneaky:

The Rams seldom assign a specific guy to cover the opponents #1 guy. They pretty much stick to the RCB & LCB role, and line up against whomever is on their side. Jenkins is on the right side, and Johnson on the left.