GDT: Dolphins at Patriots

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Yeah, it's not gonna happen but would love to see the Fins pull this one out.
http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/armando-salguero/article41742153.html

Dolphins at Patriots: A look at the key matchups and who has the edge

SPORTS%20FBN-TEXANS-DOLPHINS%206%20MI

Dolphins running back Lamar Miller (26) is coming off consecutive 100-yard games and is averaging 6 yards a carry this season. CHARLES TRAINOR JR ctrainor@miamiherald.com

BY ARMANDO SALGUERO
asalguero@miamiherald.com

When the Dolphins pass the football
Ryan Tannehill is red hot, having just set the NFL mark for consecutive completions at 25 — a feat he authored over two games. And as he only missed one of his passes last week, it could be said his accuracy is the best it has ever been. The interesting thing is the Dolphins are still getting big plays out of short and intermediate throws. The 53-yard TD pass to Rishard Matthews last week was merely a 10-yard slant throw.

The 50-yard pass to Jarvis Landry was a 12- to 15-yard sideline throw. The 54-yard pass to Lamar Miller was a screen pass that traveled maybe 5 yards in the air. So Tannehill is doing exactly what coaches have asked: Let the playmakers make plays. The only issue with the passing game was the four sacks yielded by the offensive line last week. The Patriots are neither a big pass rush team, nor do they have a dominant secondary anymore. But they play great situational football, pressuring the QB when they have the lead and tightening up in the secondary on their side of the field.

ADVANTAGE: Miami

When the Dolphins run the football
Assuming the Dolphins want to continue having success running the football and keeping a balance on offense, they have a good opportunity here because the Patriots’ run defense is mediocre at best. Although, they are disciplined, they aren’t overwhelming up front. The defensive line, particularly without Jabaal Sheard, whose status for the game is uncertain? Well, the linebackers are very good. Teams are averaging 4.5 yards per carry against New England, ranking the Pats 24th in the NFL in yards per carry. The Dolphins are getting strong, aggressive run blocking from every member of the offensive line, and Miller is running as if “his hair is on fire,” according to interim coach Dan Campbell.

ADVANTAGE: Miami

When the Patriots pass the football
This is the key to the New England success. With Tom Brady, at 38 years old still playing at an elite level, the Patriots are completing an impressive 68.9 percent of their passes and lead the NFL with only one interception thrown. Last week against the New York Jets, the Patriots allowed three sacks, but the Jets have arguably the best front in the NFL and the Patriots’ offensive line was makeshift. Brady still threw for 355 yards and two touchdowns.

The Dolphins pay their defensive line handsomely, and this game is the time for the investment to pay dividends. Ndamukong Suh must dominate for Miami to have success. As has long been the case, the biggest matchup problem is Rob Gronkowski. The Dolphins will manage by throwing a variety of coverages and defenders at the tight end. Look for Reshad Jones to spend much of his evening trying to be physical with Gronkowski.

ADVANTAGE: New England

When the Patriots run the football
The Patriots didn’t unpack their running game against New York as Brady led the team with 15 rush yards. And although that proves that New England can win when the running game fails, the expectation is the Patriots will not call only nine running plays against Miami as they did against New York — even if the Dolphins load up to stop the run as the Jets did. The Patriots can attack with a downhill approach led by LaGarrette Blount or a slashing run game led by Dion Lewis.

Their issue is that Lewis (abdomen) is ailing, as is their offensive line. The Dolphins’ run defense was the worst in the NFL until two games ago. Then Miami limited Tennessee to 3.5 yards per rush and Houston to 2.8 yards per rush in games the opposition knew it needed to run to have a chance. The Dolphins have been getting very good linebacker play from Koa Misi and Jelani Jenkins.

ADVANTAGE: Even

Special teams
New England kicker Stephen Gostkowski has connected on all 15 of his field-goal attempts this season, including a 57-yarder against the Cowboys. This match pits a team that’s very good returning punts — the Dolphins are fourth in the NFL, averaging 13.1 yards per return — against a Patriots unit that is sixth best in punt coverage, yielding an average of only 5.4 yards per return.

Damien Williams is emerging as the Dolphins’ kickoff returner, and he did a good job last week, averaging 32 yards per return. The Patriots are good in kick coverage, allowing 20.6 yards per return and ranking seventh in the NFL. Gostkowski's experience and knowledge of his home field compared with Miami rookie kicker Andrew Franks’ inexperience is the deciding factor here.

Coaching
Yes, Dan Campbell has done some excellent work the past two weeks. He has brought life to a comatose locker room. And the staff has followed his lead and effectively altered and improved their work. But … Bill Belichick has six Super Bowl rings. His staff is experienced and proven. Even Campbell’s biceps are impressed.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Amendola starts things off with a crack-back block for a 15-yard penalty.

Stel

Starter
I don't care who wins. I just want Miami to pound Brady early and often.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
They make it look so easy. Brady to Gronkowski for a TD. (n)

GabesHorn

GRACE AND TRUTH
The power of an elite qb in todays NFL is almost nstoppable. With a release and read ability like that do you even need coaches? What a freakin joke. Some ones gonna have to hit brady hard enough to take him out. With less than 2 seconds before release , it will have to be an illegal hat in the right place.

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
Is it just me, or is Sims fingernails on a chalkboard?

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Pats Rookie ORG 4th rd pick Tre Jackson one on one just threw down DT Ndamukong Suh. Rookie Jackson is doing very well for the Pats thus far but he is getting help too.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Are the Pats this good of is their schedule a cake walk?

They're like the Cardinals who have skated by against weak opponents. The difference is that the Patriots schedule doesn't get much tougher while the Cardinals schedule does.

Steelers, Bills, Jaguars, Cowboys, Colts, Jets, Dolphins. After this game - Skins, Giants, Bills, Broncos, Eagles, Texans, Titans, Jets, Dolphins. Who else will beat this team? The Broncos? Belichick and Brady own them. The whole thing with the Patriots winning season after season is a nightmare. :mad:

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Tannehill blows. That look that he had on the safety said it all. He has no heart and no guts.

JoeBo21

Hall of Fame
They're like the Cardinals who have skated by against weak opponents. The difference is that the Patriots schedule doesn't get much tougher while the Cardinals schedule does.

Steelers, Bills, Jaguars, Cowboys, Colts, Jets, Dolphins. After this game - Skins, Giants, Bills, Broncos, Eagles, Texans, Titans, Jets, Dolphins. Who else will beat this team? The Broncos? Belichick and Brady own them. The whole thing with the Patriots winning season after season is a nightmare. :mad:

Giants :sneaky:

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I hate to give the pasties credit for anything but that is the way to use all of your players, spread the ball around NO #1 WR and just kicking ass again

RedRam

Pro Bowler
I have grown so sick and tired of Bellicheat & the Cheatriots. They have leapfrogged over the Cowboys into my second most hated team slot. I doubt they'll surpass the Whiners at #1 but they're starting to make me wonder. Hating the Whiners is essentially a lifestyle for me. I'm not sure I have room in my life for another all encompassing loathing of a team like I have for the Whiners. But, the hoodie is gaining ground...

SuperMan28

Hall of Fame

Has a cake walk 16-0 all over if. The AFC isn't tough, either. Looks like only the NFC can stop them. The Rams could do it. I think the Cards and Packers could too. Somebody just has to. As long as they don't go all the way. That's it