Early OTA Starter Observations

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

StealYoGurley

Pro Bowler
I have been watching OTA videos to get a sense of who is playing where and there are some interesting developments. Obviously a lot can change from now to Monday Night football against the 49ers, but it is interesting to see who the coaches expect to step up at this junction of the offseason

1. Isaiah Battle Starting at RT
Isaiah Battle running with the first unit at RT. Kinda of surprising since that is Havenstein's spot and he was arguably our best lineman last year (maybe Hav is hurt/recovering?). Maybe Hav and Battle will compete for that spot and leave us with a pretty good swing tackle in case of injury. From what i have seen the first team o-line from left to right is Robinson, Saffold, Barnes, Brown, Battle. That's a really high upside unit with quality depth if they can stay healthy.

2. Cody Davis and Mo Alexander the starting Safety duo.
This could easily be our starting safety duo heading into the season. Both guys have excelled as core special teamers, are above average athletes at their position, and Fisher favorites. There is plenty of competition and interesting prospects behind them like Christian Bryant and Brian Randolph, but Cody and Mo are more experienced and have grown up in this system. TJ vs. Mo at SS is going to be a bigger battle than most people think. They are practically the same size and they play the same fast physical brand of football, however TJ is coming off injury, legal issues, always seems to injure teammates, and has had only one healthy season. Its not like the looser wont play either, the Rams will need someone to play in the big nickel which they use often now that Barron is full-time LB.

3. Coty Sensabaugh and Marcus Roberson splitting reps opposite Tru
Rams are being cautious with EJ Gaines the presumptive starter opposite Tru, so Roberson and Coty are trying to make the most of the opportunities presented to them. IMO this is the most interesting camp battle. All three guys have varying levels of starting experience and Fisher has shown he will play the best guy at CB. I think all 3 are even heading into camp it will be interesting to see who emerges as the starter.

4. Quick Starting Opposite Tavon
I believe Kenny Britt is hurt or recovering from an injury so Quick has been taking the reps with the ones while he is out. This isn't all that surprising considering the inexperience of the players behind Quick. In an ideal world Groh gets the most out of Quick and he makes this spot his own because we could really use a consistent big WR opposite Tavon.

Psycho_X

Legend
Thanks for the report. It'd be nice to actually have quality depth at tackle for a change. Can't remember the last time that's happened.

I'm more than worried about our secondary. Do not like either of those two as our coverage safety and if Gaines doesn't start I don't like our outside CB depth at all.

Wouldn't be surprised if they are just letting Britt rest as a veteran and letting the young guys compete with the 1s to see what they got.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'll be really disappointed if Quick makes the team. We've got some exciting young guys in camp that are all fighting for that last spot or two. After 4 disappointing seasons it would be a shame to let Quick get another shot IMO

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Isaiah Battle running with the first unit at RT. Kinda of surprising since that is Havenstein's spot and he was arguably our best lineman last year (maybe Hav is hurt/recovering?). Maybe Hav and Battle will compete for that spot and leave us with a pretty good swing tackle in case of injury. From what i have seen the first team o-line from left to right is Robinson, Saffold, Barnes, Brown, Battle. That's a really high upside unit with quality depth if they can stay healthy.
I do hope it doesn't stay like this! I prefer to see Saffold at RG, and Brown at LG. I think that works better! JMHO(y)
I also figured Battle would be Backing-Up Robinson at LT. But what do I know.:LOL:

StealYoGurley

Pro Bowler
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'm more than worried about our secondary. Do not like either of those two as our coverage safety and if Gaines doesn't start I don't like our outside CB depth at all.

Mo and Davis are both unproven in coverage, but they are athletic enough to get the job done. I havent seen enough of them to make a final decision in that regard.

If Gaines doesn't start he would be our depth on the outside, so I wouldn't be too worried in that regard. Roberson has gotten better every year and has the best size out of the bunch he is a sleeper.

I'll be really disappointed if Quick makes the team. We've got some exciting young guys in camp that are all fighting for that last spot or two. After 4 disappointing seasons it would be a shame to let Quick get another shot IMO

I agree to an extent, but the Rams cant afford to go too young with a rookie QB and players with limited experience just about everywhere on offense. What I would like to see is battle between Britt and Quick for the starting X spot and get two young guys behind that guy like Mike Thomas and Marquez North instead of keeping 2 underachieving vets at the expense of a promising young guy.

I do hope it doesn't stay like this! I prefer to see Saffold at RG, and Brown at LG. I think that works better! JMHO(y)

LG position IMO has to be a vet. Last year Robinson played his best when he was next to veteran Garrett Reynolds.

…..

Legend

It would also be a shame to cut him loose and watch him excel elsewhere ala Alexander @ San Diego

lockdnram21

Legend
A lot of those rookies are on the slow side compared to Quick. if Groh can get best out of Quick I'm all for it. But he better watch his back because Myles Simmons said that Mcroberts has been making some very impressive catches. I think Quicks competition is Mcroberts, Williams, and North. I honestly think its only 1 spot open. That's Bradley Marquez spot. It will be between him and Spruce.

Quick
Britt
Tavon
Cooper
Thomas
Marques/Spruce

Also the 2nd OTA Bryant got the 1st team reps at FS

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Most of those guys are getting the "starts/first team snaps" because other people are away from OTA's for health or legal issues. I wouldn't read a ton into them being starters it's more like those are the first backups at those positions for the most part.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It would also be a shame to cut him loose and watch him excel elsewhere ala Alexander @ San Diego
Except your example fits more of my point where like Danario, I don't want to see the Rams cut an undrafted high potential guy and keep an under producing veteran instead. Like Danario losing out to Pettis and Gibson

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
TJ vs. Mo at SS is going to be a bigger battle than most people think.
This would be strange because by all accounts, TJ was playing at a pro-bowl level before he was hurt....and having his best season so far...I like Mo....Wish they just work him a FS to see what he can do....

In an ideal world
Quick would start with Britt....and Tavon would be ran in and out of the game...

I'll be really disappointed if Quick makes the team.
Say it aint so DB:cry:....You'd take some snot-nosed rookie over a player we have groomed for 3-4 years now???? Lets at least wait until pads get on...and we have a couple of practice games...:blah:

Rams43

Hall of Fame
I think that they're just tinkering, fellas.

Kinda shuffling and redealing to test the many moving parts to see what they have in these various players.

Pretty smart, don't you think?

They want every scrap of information possible before they must make those final excruciating cuts down to the final 53.

WestCoastRam

Legend
Battle vs Havenstein may be one of the more interesting camp battles this summer. My guess is that everyone was pretty pleased with Havenstein's work at RT but he's certainly not a world-beater and wasn't one of those standout rookies who earned a pro-bowl berth. What if Battle, with a year of seasoning, is that kinda guy?

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
Wait someone is there watching every snap taken??? And they have inside info this is because jobs are open for the taking???

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I have been watching OTA videos to get a sense of who is playing where and there are some interesting developments. Obviously a lot can change from now to Monday Night football against the 49ers, but it is interesting to see who the coaches expect to step up at this junction of the offseason

2. Cody Davis and Mo Alexander the starting Safety duo.
This could easily be our starting safety duo heading into the season. Both guys have excelled as core special teamers, are above average athletes at their position, and Fisher favorites. There is plenty of competition and interesting prospects behind them like Christian Bryant and Brian Randolph, but Cody and Mo are more experienced and have grown up in this system. TJ vs. Mo at SS is going to be a bigger battle than most people think. They are practically the same size and they play the same fast physical brand of football, however TJ is coming off injury, legal issues, always seems to injure teammates, and has had only one healthy season. Its not like the looser wont play either, the Rams will need someone to play in the big nickel which they use often now that Barron is full-time LB.

This is interesting and all but I feel comfortable saying that Havenstein's and TJ's jobs are safe. There isn't going to be a battle for TJ's job with Mo. Alexander played a bit last year and wasn't near the player that TJ was. TJ is a Pro Bowl caliber safety. IMO, Alexander is getting reps right now because the Rams are considering what to do at FS.

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
Battle vs Havenstein may be one of the more interesting camp battles this summer. My guess is that everyone was pretty pleased with Havenstein's work at RT but he's certainly not a world-beater and wasn't one of those standout rookies who earned a pro-bowl berth. What if Battle, with a year of seasoning, is that kinda guy?

I'm sending you for a drug test!:wow:

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
What if Battle, with a year of seasoning, is that kinda guy?
The clips I've seen, Battle looks to be in great shape...and is a huge man....but still a long way from replacing a very good Havenstein. Who'll probably also come in much improved....Remember, he only threw up 16 reps...I'm sure he's considerably stronger.