Covid 19 thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
U.S. has the best science in the history of the world. How about instead of undermining it, simply following it.
Yeah, science is awesome.

An initial batch of coronavirus testing kits shipped from the CDC to state labs early February were tainted with coronavirus and didn’t work. That delayed a nationwide testing rollout. I call "shotgun" on the next scientist road-trip to Smartsville.

On March 16, a 20-page report from Neil Ferguson's team at Imperial College London projected enormous death estimates - to the tune of 2.2 million dead in the U.S. alone. The report that started the whole lock-down movement.

in mid March, the White House announced its social distancing campaign and urged people not to gather in groups greater than 10, but the CDC still had on its website, a recommendation to avoid groups under 50. 10, 50, same difference.

In May, the CDC said - on their website - that the antibody tests used to determine if people have been infected in the past with Covid-19 might be wrong up to half the time. Meh. 50/50 chance you got it. Figure it out yourself.

The CDC signed off on releasing a projection model warning of coronavirus daily deaths doubling by June. But the epidemiology professor who says he created the model said it wasn’t ready for release. Presumably because he meant to quadruple it.

All the way into April, the CDC said Americans don’t need masks. Surgeon General Jerome Adams told Americans to stop buying them and save them for health care workers. Fauci went on 60 minutes saying it's only to make people feel good. The CDC later reversed the recommendation saying Americans should be wearing cloth masks. Do what I say except when you should do what I say after doing what I said.

In September, the CDC edited its Web page describing how coronavirus spreads, removing recently added language saying it was “possible” that it spreads via airborne transmission. It was the third major revision to CDC information or guidelines published since May. If the freaking CDC doesn't even have a handle on this, what is one guy supposed to do about it?

Untitled.gif

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
Yeah, science is awesome.

On March 16, a 20-page report from Neil Ferguson's team at Imperial College London projected enormous death estimates - to the tune of 2.2 million dead in the U.S. alone. The report that started the whole lock-down movement.

The early projections that U.S. deaths could be in the millions, were based on little-to-no mitigation.

Science has been fairly consistent and accurate on this new virus; and has corrected itself when appropriate.

The epidemiologists are the experts, and they are all (pretty much) on the same page.

By not following the science, more people have gotten sick than necessary.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
By not following the science, more people have gotten sick than necessary.
yeahand.gif

And for the first several months this year, everyone was told not to wear a mask. So, you can thank science for the unmitigated spread all the way into May. At which point it was already in every State and spreading. But at least everyone had copious amounts of toilet paper in case the virus also made you shit uncontrollably.

Dz1

Go Hurricanes...
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Danger Zone
yeahand.gif

And for the first several months this year, everyone was told not to wear a mask. So, you can thank science for the unmitigated spread all the way into May. At which point it was already in every State and spreading. But at least everyone had copious amounts of toilet paper in case the virus also made you shit uncontrollably.
Fauci said on April the 3rd everyone should wear a mask and stay home.

It's on YouTube.

And imho April is before May.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude

It's on YouTube.

Yeah no shit. By May, people were just getting around to taking those guys seriously after having been told for months prior to stop buying them and to stop wearing them. And even after they changed their guidance, they still only recommended them when you were unable to keep a 6ft distance from anyone else. So how many people do you think were just wearing them all the time? And wny did it not say anything about wearing them to protect others as opposed to just yourself?

April 30, 2020:

Screenshot_1.jpg

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

It's on YouTube.

And of course, most of us remember that in March many of the calls to not wear masks were because of the severe shortages and the need to reserve masks for medical professionals.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
And of course, most of us remember that in March many of the calls to not wear masks were because of the severe shortages and the need to reserve masks for medical professionals.
See above. Dude said nothing about shortages.

Dz1

Go Hurricanes...
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Danger Zone
Agree 100 percent.

We had front line workers dying needlessly.

Why because of a budget cut in 2017 that said,we didn't need to be ready for any epidemic.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Why because of a budget cut in 2017 that said,we didn't need to be ready for any epidemic.
If you're going to grossly misrepresent what happened, and then stay stupid shit like (we didn't need to be ready for any epidemic), then you should probably stay out of this thread. The NSC was consolidated due to bureaucratic bloat from the previous administration. And the previous administration admitted it was bloated. It wasn't disbanded. He created the counterproliferation and biodefense directorate, which was the result of consolidating three directorates into one, given the obvious overlap between arms control and nonproliferation, weapons of mass destruction terrorism, and global health and biodefense. It was this reorganization that people have misconstrued or intentionally misrepresent. If anything, the combined directorate was stronger because related expertise could be commingled providing consolidated and streamlined information. Under NO administration did the NSC mass produce masks in preparation for something that may or may not come. None of them.

Are you insinuating that they were treating covid patients without wearing masks because there weren't any? Because that never happened. And then on April 7, this administration got with 3M to produce millions of N95's. Shortly after your boy said we should start wearing them again.

Last edited:

Dz1

Go Hurricanes...
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Danger Zone
Yeah no shit. By May, people were just getting around to taking those guys seriously after having been told for months prior to stop buying them and to stop wearing them. And even after they changed their guidance, they still only recommended them when you were unable to keep a 6ft distance from anyone else. So how many people do you think were just wearing them all the time? And wny did it not say anything about wearing them to protect others as opposed to just yourself?

April 30, 2020:

View attachment 40312
U posted May, I posted what the Most Respected. Man in the world said at the beginning of April.

I'll say this again and again, I think both Parties messed up, Hell the Dems moving all those folks into nursing homes,WTF.

The Pres and the Rep. Need to accept also..

Last edited by a moderator:

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If you're going to grossly misrepresent what happened, and then stay stupid shit like (we didn't need to be ready for any epidemic), then you should probably stay out of this thread. The NSC was consolidated due to bureaucratic bloat from the previous administration. And the previous administration admitted it was bloated. It wasn't disbanded. He created the counterproliferation and biodefense directorate, which was the result of consolidating three directorates into one, given the obvious overlap between arms control and nonproliferation, weapons of mass destruction terrorism, and global health and biodefense. It was this reorganization that people have misconstrued or intentionally misrepresent. If anything, the combined directorate was stronger because related expertise could be commingled providing consolidated and streamlined information. Under NO administration did the NSC mass produce masks in preparation for something that may or may not come. None of them.

Are you insinuating that they were treating covid patients without wearing masks because there weren't any? Because that never happened. And then on April 7, this administration got with 3M to produce millions of N95's. Shortly after your boy said we should start wearing them again.
Do yourself a favor and drop this thread :D He picks and chooses what happened and what didn't. Who did what and said what and ignores everything that they also said as long as they said one thing that might possibly hammer home his point. It doesn't matter that Fauci has waffled more than a cook at the Waffle House as have many others. Hell the WHO who is as much to blame for this as China if not more recently said the shutdowns we did were counter productive. People can't honestly come in here and say person X was always right because he said something, because those people almost always said something different and have changed their opinions.

And most intelligent people know that no front line workers died because of a lack of PPE.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
See above. Dude said nothing about shortages.

By April 3 it was common knowledge. It would have been silly to bring it up when the shortages would have been disappearing, and the point was policy going forward. On March 3 the WHO addressed it though
'
WHO calls on industry and governments to increase manufacturing by 40 per cent to meet rising global demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
U posted May, I posted what the Most Respected. Man in the world said at the beginning of April.
FFS. Talking to you is the intellectual equivalent of stepping on a Lego.
I should have remembered this from my days on that shithole site.
You never, ever, ever, learn to read what people are saying.
By April 3 it was common knowledge. It would have been silly to bring it up when the shortages would have been disappearing, and the point was policy going forward. On March 3 the WHO addressed it though
'
WHO calls on industry and governments to increase manufacturing by 40 per cent to meet rising global demand.
Yeah, I know that. But that's entirely different than what the man said in a nationally televised interview. He actually made a case for how wearing them is a futile endeavor. A man of his qualifications and experience should have never said anything even close to resembling what he said. You don't think maybe he should have been erring on the side of caution there? If people wanted to wear cloth masks (which shortly thereafter became recommended), don't you think he should have encouraged that as opposed to basically ridiculing it? Wouldn't you think the whole "you wear one, I wear one, and we'll mitigate the spread" theory would be something that cat would understand and convey?

At any rate, that's water under the bridge now. All States have some sort of guidance and mandate in place that runs parallel to what the CDC is now recommending. If people want to go into stores, they have to wear one. If they want to go out to eat, they have to wear one. If they want to congregate in large numbers to protest - well, that's optional. But at least most people are wearing them now. That's what we wanted, right? Well, we got it. People are still testing positive (which isn't a "case" as the media keeps saying), but I guess it does something.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Not that it will change anything but here you go "numbers guy".
And again you moved away from the question. You posted the US has done the most testing, I posted BS.Prove It.
US testing = 415/1000 population N Korea = 49/1000 population
I posted we have the worst numbers while only having 4.2 of the population . Prove me wrong Post It.
I don't know what 4.2 of the population means in what you are saying but here you go.
Lord if 46 mill people got got the the Flu and 61 thou died and 8 or 8.5 mill got Covid with 220 thou plus died it tells you everything.
Huh? Clearly you paid zero attention to what @-X- posted because it didn't fit your narrative. You spew numbers that have little or no meaning, cherry pick which countries and which numbers from THOSE countries that fit your narrative.

They don't even come close to counting influenza deaths with the same methodology that they have developed for the Novel Corona. To ignore that is just intentionally denying real information because it doesn't support your position.

You ignore why the numbers of deaths/illness were so astronomical early on. Why is that? Doesn't fit your argument?
Again we have the highest numbers in the world Because ?
Because we simply DON'T.

I have demonstrated that we DO NOT have the highest numbers of deaths per capita. The fact that we have ten times the testing of many tells a huge part of the story. A part you choose to ignore. The methodology we use (that other countries DO NOT) tells another part of the story.

Please demonstrate to me how other countries develop their numbers and compare them to the US. Tell us all how you have determined that such open countries like China and the new USSR have tracked and collected their data in methodology similar to ours, or verifiable to the outside world. If you are going to buy their numbers, then hell... North Korea has been the global leader and the country to model all Covid actions around. After all.... I believe li'l Kim has reported ZERO fatalities from Covid. I'm sure he has the stats to back that up.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I'd like to comment on this. I work for a MAJOR grocery chain in the middle of a MAJOR city. We employ around 200 ppl per store. Ranging in age from 16 to 75+ years old. We interact with about 1,500 customers/day. Since March we have had exactly 4 employees test positive. No hospitalizations, no deaths.

Think about that. I can't even begin to do the math in terms of the sheer amount of people interactions in my store every day for the last 8 months. Yet just 4 positives? And they all got a nice paid vacation at home with the sniffles.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
That’s a lot of back and forth in a short amount of time, including some posters who ... I thought ... were taking a Covid discussion break but that’s OK.

Certainly mistakes were made and lives were lost because of that. However, for months now the experts agree that masks help limit transmission, yet many still deny the truth and refuse to do the right thing.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
That’s a lot of back and forth in a short amount of time, including some posters who ... I thought ... were taking a Covid discussion break but that’s OK.

Certainly mistakes were made and lives were lost because of that. However, for months now the experts agree that masks help limit transmission, yet many still deny the truth and refuse to do the right thing.
I think most on here wear masks where appropriate or required. I think what really spurred this was the latest mandates by CA.

It's kinda understandable.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I'd like to comment on this. I work for a MAJOR grocery chain in the middle of a MAJOR city. We employ around 200 ppl per store. Ranging in age from 16 to 75+ years old. We interact with about 1,500 customers/day. Since March we have had exactly 4 employees test positive. No hospitalizations, no deaths.

Think about that. I can't even begin to do the math in terms of the sheer amount of people interactions in my store every day for the last 8 months. Yet just 4 positives? And they all got a nice paid vacation at home with the sniffles.
Yeah, it's weird. Greenville Health Systems, a hospital I work in, asked me several months back to lock the visitor elevators out of 2 floors. The 7th and 8th floor, because they were setting up "Covid floors" to handle the mass influx of cases ("cases" meaning, people who were actually sick or dying - not positive results). This, after they received one of those giant freezers to store all the bodies, which was stored out by the loading docks. By the following month, that freezer was gone and never had one body in it, and I was asked to open those two floors back up because they never needed them. I mean, I get preparedness and all, but the constant doomsayer reporting was outta control and caused way too much hysteria.

Status
Not open for further replies.