Clay Mathews has signed with Rams

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don’t think anyone said that or implied it. I’m not a Mathews fan at all and his age/diminishing impact coupled with ability to stack up the penalties makes me weary of him. But if it is an incentive loaded, team friendly deal I’m on board with it. Plus, people talking about using him inside and situationally makes me more comfortable with the signing if that’s what ends up happening.
There were plenty of people claiming this was an outrageous contract . Others of course were level headed about waiting to see the details.

Psycho_X

Legend
Well, if we go by the dislikes and likes I got on my first post about being meh towards CM the fan base is 50/50 on it. We’ve had worse disagreements lol. Hey, if Fabio can come in and produce and not kill defensive stops with game changing penalties I’ll be elated.

Ramrocket

Hating 49ers and Seahawks from afar
Name
Rod
I'm of the belief he doesn't have much left in the tank but he is now a Ram so he has my full support. Go Clay!!!

ReekofRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Reek
He is not the Clay of yesteryear, but for the price he is a huge upgrade to the linebacker core, along with being able to be used coming off the edge. So though we cannot expect the results of the younger version of a Clay, he was molded into a versatile, valuable, veteran that can not only play with great veracity, but can be a very vital leader and teacher to the young vessels that grasp for their opportunity.

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
By Vincent Bonsignore from the athletic (today-2hrs ago)

The Rams’ interest in adding veteran pass-rusher Clay Matthews III wasn’t all that surprising, given their needs and salary-cap situation. With recent big contract extensions — Aaron Donald, Brandin Cooks and Todd Gurley — felt in earnest this year, and Dante Fowler Jr. and Marcus Peters getting big bumps in pay, there were limited funds available to address roster concerns.

The plan going into free agency was to head straight to the bargain aisle, in the hopes of finding reasonably priced veterans who still had something in the tank. That’s where they found safety Eric Weddle, who was released by the Baltimore Ravens in a salary-cap-cutting move two weeks ago, and it’s where they secured Matthews on Tuesday to potentially add juice to their pass rush.

The idea of adding Matthews got a big boost last season — just like with Weddle. In many ways, the interest in Weddle started last August at the Ravens’ facility in Owings Mills, Md., where the Rams and Ravens went through two rigorous days of joint practices, and the 33-year-old Weddle displayed leadership, intelligence and playmaking. Across the line of scrimmage, Rams coach Sean McVay took note. McVay referred to those notes two weeks ago when Weddle popped onto the Rams’ radar as a possible addition. It’s part of the reason he was so eager to add Weddle.

Matthews made a similar impression on McVay last October, when the Packers pushed the Rams to the brink at the Coliseum in a hard-fought 29-27 Rams win that wasn’t secured until the closing minute. Matthews might not be as explosive and dynamic as he once was, but he was active and engaged against the Rams that day. He had six tackles and one sack in 49 snaps that saw him deployed as an outside, middle and inside linebacker and as a defensive end while being utilized as a pass-rusher and run-stopper.

It left an obvious impression on McVay, who required little swaying when the 32-year-old Matthews was brought up as a possible free-agent addition.

“Yeah, he didn’t need convincing after we played them,” a Rams source told The Athletic.

The Rams inked the longtime Packers linebacker to a two-year deal worth upwards of $16.75 million. Matthews reportedly spurned more lucrative offers for the chance to return home to help the Rams get back to the Super Bowl. He lives in nearby Calabasas and went to high school in Agoura Hills before emerging as an All-American at USC.

Given the Rams’ limited salary-cap space and need to inject more juice into their pass rush, Matthews makes plenty of sense. He comes at a reasonable price, and as he showed the Rams last year, when managed and utilized prudently he still brings something to the table. He finished last season with 43 tackles and 3.5 sacks, although he had another sack taken away by a controversial roughing-the-passer call against the Washington Redskins. The numbers aren’t great, and it remains to be seen how much gas Matthews has left, but the Rams believe he can produce respectable numbers as a rotational piece in Wade Phillips’ defense.

According to Rams sources, part of Matthews’ allure was versatility in playing outside or inside — he played inside linebacker for the Packers for most of 2014-15 — which gives defensive coordinator Phillips plenty of options when scheming packages for him.

Matthews won’t start — the Rams are set at outside linebacker with Fowler and Samson Ebukham, two young players they believe have untapped potential. And second-year player Ogbonnia Okoronkwo also will be in the mix. But given that the Rams were in base defense approximately 30 percent of the time last year, there will be ample opportunities and ways to deploy Matthews. Perhaps that even will be alongside Fowler and Ebukam — to whom Matthews will serve as a mentor — to create multiple pressure points for opposing offenses to contend with. They’ll do so with Donald occupying multiple blockers on almost every snap, so there figures to be plenty of advantageous matchups.

Keeping Matthews fresh and healthy will be the key, which is why playing in a rotation with Ebukam, Fowler and possibly Okoronkwo should benefit him over the course of the season. The Rams have shown prudence and shrewdness in how they manage players’ bodies by giving them practice days off during the week — Andrew Whitworth, John Sullivan and Rodger Saffold come to mind — and that certainly will be part of the table for Matthews. Both Saffold and Sullivan missed significant time with injuries prior to working with McVay and his staff, but both made it through the last two seasons with only minor issues.

Is Matthews the player he once was? No, obviously.

Can he still contribute? If utilized prudently and managed accordingly, yes.

(Top photo: Christian Petersen / Getty Images)

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
I saw a few Packer games early last season and thought Matthews was really getting after the qb, only to be called for absurd roughing penalties several games in a row. But what I really like is that offenses will now have to account for Donald, Fowler and Matthews... how many blockers good enough to do that do most teams have? I expect that Wade is licking his chops in anticipation.
Didn't we say that about Suh last year? That Wade would be licking his chops?

Hopefully your turns out even better than that. Honestly that was just a little disappointing. Matthews could turn out better just due to versatility.

dang

Legend
Suh has slowed down since his peak but can still turn it on and play the game. Justin Houston (who will likely command more $$$) isn't the same player that had 20 sacks in a season. Earl Thomas...blah blah blah. Brandon Graham...etc etc etc. Once we see the guaranteed $$$ - I think we will feel the Rams got a versatile above average vet LB at a very fair price.

Ram65

Legend
Matthews won’t start — the Rams are set at outside linebacker with Fowler and Samson Ebukham, two young players they believe have untapped potential. And second-year player Ogbonnia Okoronkwo also will be in the mix. But given that the Rams were in base defense approximately 30 percent of the time last year, there will be ample opportunities and ways to deploy Matthews. Perhaps that even will be alongside Fowler and Ebukam — to whom Matthews will serve as a mentor — to create multiple pressure points for opposing offenses to contend with. They’ll do so with Donald occupying multiple blockers on almost every snap, so there figures to be plenty of advantageous matchups.

Trying to imagine how Wade uses Mathews with Fowler and Ebukam at the same time. Moving them around before the snap could be interesting. Not sure if any of them are great with their hand in the dirt. On thing for sure is when you add in Obo and Fox the Rams will have them fresh throughout the game. Can't wait to see the QBs go down.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

So, a $10m base. I wonder how that will be distributed between the two seasons.

dang

Legend
So $5M for Shaq Barrett for 1 year was considered by many a steal. Many (including myself) questioning why the Rams weren't in on that deal. My guess is that the Rams consciously decided to spend that $5M on a more versatile option and that Barrett would have jumped at the chance to play for the Rams for $5M if it were offered. What does this forum think about getting Matthews at a base of $10M for 2 years?

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
I don’t think anyone said that or implied it. I’m not a Mathews fan at all and his age/diminishing impact coupled with ability to stack up the penalties makes me weary of him. But if it is an incentive loaded, team friendly deal I’m on board with it. Plus, people talking about using him inside and situationally makes me more comfortable with the signing if that’s what ends up happening.

So....
How’s the view from the fence?
Penalty comment is total bullshit.

I don’t give a fuck about the deal particulars, he’s a plus add period.
Like I said before, let’s let Demoff worry about the money, and Wade worry about how he’s used.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Trying to imagine how Wade uses Mathews with Fowler and Ebukam at the same time. Moving them around before the snap could be interesting. Not sure if any of them are great with their hand in the dirt. On thing for sure is when you add in Obo and Fox the Rams will have them fresh throughout the game. Can't wait to see the QBs go down.

Our jailhouse blitz just got a LOT better. Matthews on the inside blitz is significantly better than Barron, tho a shade slower.

I can see a setup where we're in a 3-4, showing more like a 5-2 with pressure coming from who knows where.

I remember that 5-2 Eagle and it gave teams FITS.

I should have recognized that the 5-2 Oklahoma is essentially a 3-4 like Bum ran.

Anyway, I can see us having essentially a 5 man front with Brockers, NT (tbd) and AD with LBs of Ebukam, Matthews, Littleton and Fowler... who KNOWS where that extra pressure is coming from.

I think Matthews is going to allow Wade to really dial up pressure when it HAS to get there.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member

Fowler and Ebukam, not to mention Okowrongkwo, are going to feel the heat with Matthews on that roster. I think the spin on them being starters is premature. They're going to have to earn it, the two best edges will eat the crucial passing game snaps, and that's a great thing for those young guys to have to deal with.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Fowler and Ebukam, not to mention Okowrongkwo, are going to feel the heat with Matthews on that roster. I think the spin on them being starters is premature. They're going to have to earn it, the two best edges will eat the crucial passing game snaps, and that's a great thing for those young guys to have to deal with.

I don't think Fowler has to worry all that much. But of the four primary LBs at the start of last season, only Littleton is likely to have starter playing time next season. Fowler replaced Longacre, who is still unsigned. Barron was cut. Littleton hasn't signed, but has been tendered, and I doubt any other team signs him to a deal the Rams won't match. Ebu is likely to lose playing time to Matthews, although Matthews will likely play some of the time inside, moving outside on passing downs. Pretty clearly, the Rams weren't impressed with their LB play.

ReekofRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Reek
Interesting in Ian Rapoport’s interview shown in an earlier post on this thread said that the Rams were not planning on starting Matthews. I don’t know if he’s correct or not, but it does make for some interesting thoughts.

ReekofRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Reek
Our jailhouse blitz just got a LOT better. Matthews on the inside blitz is significantly better than Barron, tho a shade slower.

I can see a setup where we're in a 3-4, showing more like a 5-2 with pressure coming from who knows where.

I remember that 5-2 Eagle and it gave teams FITS.

I should have recognized that the 5-2 Oklahoma is essentially a 3-4 like Bum ran.

Anyway, I can see us having essentially a 5 man front with Brockers, NT (tbd) and AD with LBs of Ebukam, Matthews, Littleton and Fowler... who KNOWS where that extra pressure is coming from.

I think Matthews is going to allow Wade to really dial up pressure when it HAS to get there.
One thing I like about Matthews is that, unlike Mark Barron, Matthews will actually be able to take on blockers with the idea of winning the battles.