Chris Long Lets Be Honest Maybe Overratted?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm curious...what constitutes a "2nd overall type of guy?"

Chris Long, as much as I know...

Never takes plays off.
Produces sacks for the stat monkeys.
One of the highest amount of QB pressures/hurries in the NFL.
Rarely misses games.
Provides a veteran presence, leader, etc.

And like you said, good run defender, and makes that RT sore after games.

Seems to me he's a complete player and an important part of this team.

I think it's high time we stop putting labels next players regarding draft positions, salaries, and whatnot that has no effect of on-field performance. It's up to the player himself to produce.

Personally, as far as I'm concerned, if you're a good or better starter...you're worth your pick. Doesn't matter where you were drafted. In the first rounds, there's a ~40% chance you come away with a bust. If you(as in anybody...not you, Angry Ram) want to claim that Long isn't worth the second overall pick...maybe you should take a step back and look at some of other players that went in the top 10 that year:
1. Jake Long
2. Chris Long
3. Matt Ryan
4. Darren McFadden
5. Glenn Dorsey
6. Vernon Gholston
7. Sedrick Ellis
8. Derrick Harvey
9. Keith Rivers
10. Jerod Mayo

Aside from Chris Long, only Jerod Mayo and Matt Ryan were given contract extensions. Of the 10 players selected, 6(60%) were busts.

If your expectations are that Long is a disappointment because he's not elite...maybe you should take a step back and reassess the situation. Because in the top 10 that year, there was a 60% chance we came away with a bust. Instead, we came away with a very good DE. If that's not what a pick should be...your standards are way off.

fearsomefour

Legend
All true. That revisionist history thing always has a lot of wrinkles. Wouldn't have taken Ryan with 70 Million due to Bulger, same with McFadden and Steven Jackson...you brought up Dorsey, but then it goes Gholston, Ellis, Harvey, Rivers or loosely translated, bust, bust, bust, bust. Who were they supposed to take?
Also, that non-stop motor likely contributed to more than a couple of Quinn's 19 sack total. But yeah, 50.5 sacks and innumerable knockdowns/hurries/pressures and we're complaining about it. :disappoint:

Good post. Long led the NFL in hurries last year, it is not just about sack numbers, getting a QB to move off his spot, making him rush or uncomfortable in the pocket is very important as well. Long improved vs the run as well. Hard worker, good team guy, always hustle, good character, never complains ect.
I cant remember if the Rams tried to move down tht draft, but, Long was certainly the safiest pick and it has panned out. He may end up being one of those players that is taken for granted until he is gone. He is putting together and excellent career….way, way better than average DE.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Sigh. I can't see how anyone can say Chris is overratted. Now THIS guy. THIS guy is overratted.

upload_2014-1-6_21-53-5.jpeg

V3

Hall of Fame
Wait...so he's not a problem, but b/c of money he weakens the team overall? Couldn't that apply to any player that gets a big money contract?

No. Only the ones that don't live up to their contract. Do you complain about a big purchase if you find it was worth the money?

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan
He would have had double digit sacks again this year if Quinn wasn't so Damn fast off the line.

ontilllit

UDFA
Name
ontilllit
He had a good year lots of hurries just didn't translate into sacks. He's no Quinn. But most players aret

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
No. Only the ones that don't live up to their contract. Do you complain about a big purchase if you find it was worth the money?

Of course not. But there's always a chance you could get a lemon, and that's the risk. And Chris Long ain't no lemon.

V3

Hall of Fame
Of course not. But there's always a chance you could get a lemon, and that's the risk. And Chris Long ain't no lemon.

He's not a lemon but he is costing more than he should. When someone has a tight budget, they have to see where the biggest expenses are. And if those expenses aren't entirely justified, they look for cheaper alternatives. That's basically what this whole thread is boiling down to. Chris Long is a major expense and he's not really worth it. That doesn't mean he's bad. He's just a player the Rams could look at if they are looking to "trim the fat" down the road. The next problem is finding the cheaper replacement that still performs. Maybe that's Clowney? Who knows? All I'm saying is he isn't worth the contract and the Rams should start looking for a cheaper replacement so they can have some extra cap room.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
So did I miss something? The dude is averaging about the same sack totals as Mario Williams and he is playing along side a guy with 19 sacks while our DBs are playing 8 - 10 yards off the receiver and allowing QBs to play pitch and catch 2 seconds after the snap. I'd say he's earned that 2nd overall pick doing that on the shit teams our management has put him through until recently.

Yeah - CL is so bad we might as well hang onto him. After all, who would take on such a stiff's huge contract? :deadhorse:

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
He's not a lemon but he is costing more than he should. When someone has a tight budget, they have to see where the biggest expenses are. And if those expenses aren't entirely justified, they look for cheaper alternatives. That's basically what this whole thread is boiling down to. Chris Long is a major expense and he's not really worth it. That doesn't mean he's bad. He's just a player the Rams could look at if they are looking to "trim the fat" down the road. The next problem is finding the cheaper replacement that still performs. Maybe that's Clowney? Who knows? All I'm saying is he isn't worth the contract and the Rams should start looking for a cheaper replacement so they can have some extra cap room.

Sorry, I get insulted for the players' sake when someone who performs day in and out like Chris does and then being labeled "not worth" the contract. I believe he brings much more than what he does on the field.

We're just gonna have to agree to disagree here. It's gonna go nowhere.

V3

Hall of Fame
Sorry, I get insulted for the players' sake when someone who performs day in and out like Chris does and then being labeled "not worth" the contract. I believe he brings much more than what he does on the field.

We're just gonna have to agree to disagree here. It's gonna go nowhere.

I get insulted when I see how much people make to play a game. I think you're right about a2d.

I don't mean that to sound rude. It's just how I feel.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I get insulted when I see how much people make to play a game.
Well, it's not like it's checkers though. There's a 100% chance of injury, small chance of paralysis, big chance of long-term health issues, and no real pension to speak of. Get mad at the Justin Beibers and Kim Kardashians of the world. They do nothing to earn that kind of coin.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Well, it's not like it's checkers though. There's a 100% chance of injury, small chance of paralysis, big chance of long-term health issues, and no real pension to speak of. Get mad at the Justin Beibers and Kim Kardashians of the world. They do nothing to earn that kind of coin.
Thank you. Nothing like a little perspective.

Besides, why get insulted at what someone makes just because they made a career out of what they love. If I could do anything like what these freaks of nature could do and make good money at it, you'd see my tatted up ass on your screen every Sunday.

Now. May Justin Beiber's name never appear on ROD ever again.

V3

Hall of Fame

I don't want this thread to be hijacked but I agree with you examples as well. I could go on forever about that topic but it won't change anything.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I don't want this thread to be hijacked but I agree with you examples as well. I could go on forever about that topic but it won't change anything.

Ha! We'd NEVER do a thing like that around here.:heh: Now back to those rats.:yousure: