Chris Long Lets Be Honest Maybe Overratted?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

GreeneCounty

Pro Bowler
I just after this yearhave not really thinking Long is that great. Yes he is a good player but wonder if he was really a 1st rd pick.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Well, he used to face a lot of double teams and chips but you would think with the emergence of Quinn, teams can't afford to do that too much and his numbers should of improved the second half of this season but I didn't notice so......... I know the guy has a non-stop motor and gives it his all every down but I would like to hear his name called a little more during games.

bskrilla

Starter
I think it's likely he wasn't worth the first round pick, but he's a good to very good DE. I don't think he could ever be what Quinn is, but he'll also never be terrible and seems to be a great leader.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
I think he still grades out as a first rd pick. Maybe not #2 overall, but in the first round for sure. Look at how many pressures he gets. I agree it would be nice to hear his name called more often, but QB pressures/hurries are VERY valuable and don't get as much notice. Also, he has remained healthy throughout his career here. All in all, I am very happy he is in horns.

PowayRamFan

Hall of Fame
Long was injured all year, to what extent nobody knows. Fisher was resting him during the week for the bulk of the year. I think he comes back next year with bigger numbers, more impact.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Well, he used to face a lot of double teams and chips but you would think with the emergence of Quinn, teams can't afford to do that too much and his numbers should of improved the second half of this season but I didn't notice so......... I know the guy has a non-stop motor and gives it his all every down but I would like to hear his name called a little more during games.
This.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
In that draft he was worth the 2nd pick. He had the highest upside of the top rated players. And he has lived up to his draft status, he is a very good player. Yeah, people can look back in hindsight and say we should have took Clady or Mayo. Thats wasn't going to happen. They didn't grade that high. Dorsey would have been interesting at #2. Playing in a 4-3 from day one.
The pick should have been Ryan. Lots of teams didn't like him that high. And with Bulgers contract I understand why they didn't take him. But it would have changed the Rams going forward. I'm not saying he would have been better than Bradford. But it would changed where the Rams picked in the seceding drafts. No Jason Smith.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Why does it seem like Rams fans want to look for problems/issues or say they are overrated w/ their players?

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
Why does it seem like Rams fans want to look for problems/issues or say they are overrated w/ their players?

I dont know, I guess they just like to tear people down for no reason. This team has many problems, but Chris Long is NOT one of them.

fastcat

Pro Bowler
long is just overrated in the st louis media and with rams fans. Most people probably don't know who he is unless they are hardcore football fans. He is a decent player and onther player of his caliber is jl55. They were just the best players on D on untalented teams.

Mister Sin

Formally Known as Juggs
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Sin
This isn't a new thought for me. While i love his fire, he is not a 2nd overall type of guy. He plays his ass off and im glad we took him for more reasons that his sack total. But he had to switch sides to become effective. But as ive examined it more over time. He is a great run defender. He will never get 20 sacks a season, hell he may not hit 15. But i promise that RT is sore after the game. I think he is necessary.

Mister Sin

Formally Known as Juggs
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Sin
long is just overrated in the st louis media and with rams fans. Most people probably don't know who he is unless they are hardcore football fans. He is a decent player and onther player of his caliber is jl55. They were just the best players on D on untalented teams.
I think your delusional to think that JL is just the best player on a D on an untalented team. I think you need to re-examine that evaluation. James is a great leader and very rarely misses tackles. He lacks ideal coverage ability against the more speedy TE and backs, but the dude has great instincts and without a doubt, if he played for a team like the 9ers, it would be his name known over Willis.

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
In that draft he was worth the 2nd pick. He had the highest upside of the top rated players. And he has lived up to his draft status, he is a very good player. Yeah, people can look back in hindsight and say we should have took Clady or Mayo. Thats wasn't going to happen. They didn't grade that high. Dorsey would have been interesting at #2. Playing in a 4-3 from day one.
The pick should have been Ryan. Lots of teams didn't like him that high. And with Bulgers contract I understand why they didn't take him. But it would have changed the Rams going forward. I'm not saying he would have been better than Bradford. But it would changed where the Rams picked in the seceding drafts. No Jason Smith.

All true. That revisionist history thing always has a lot of wrinkles. Wouldn't have taken Ryan with 70 Million due to Bulger, same with McFadden and Steven Jackson...you brought up Dorsey, but then it goes Gholston, Ellis, Harvey, Rivers or loosely translated, bust, bust, bust, bust. Who were they supposed to take?
Also, that non-stop motor likely contributed to more than a couple of Quinn's 19 sack total. But yeah, 50.5 sacks and innumerable knockdowns/hurries/pressures and we're complaining about it. :disappoint:

V3

Hall of Fame

People said he was always double teamed but I don't really agree with that. Sure, I'd see it throughout the game but it wasn't nearly as much as people claimed. When the Rams selected him, I thought he'd be an Aaron Kampman type player at his peak. I don't think he reached that and I'm not sure he ever will. He probably would have been better suited as an OLB on a 3-4 team.

Ram_of_Old

Long has a motor that will not slow. With Quinn's emergence and with Long coming back healthy next year, our front seven could be the best in the NFL. Now, if Sam is back and we shore up the O line and get a legit. top wide out. We are there!

jjab360

Legend
People said he was always double teamed but I don't really agree with that. Sure, I'd see it throughout the game but it wasn't nearly as much as people claimed. When the Rams selected him, I thought he'd be an Aaron Kampman type player at his peak. I don't think he reached that and I'm not sure he ever will. He probably would have been better suited as an OLB on a 3-4 team.
Chris Long is every bit as good as Aaron Kampman, what are you talking about? I think the problem with some Rams fans (or fans in general, for that matter) is that they overrate other teams' players because they don't watch them as often as they do their own players, all they see are the highlights.

Chris Long is a very good player, he just isn't as good as a Robert Quinn because Quinn is an absolute freak of nature. I wouldn't have a problem drafting a Jadeveon Clowney because Clowney is another freak of nature, but you can win with a team full of Longs (literally with Jake Long, Chris Long, Kyle Long, etc.).

Alan

Legend
We had this discussion when we were debating about the advisability of drafting Clowney. Chris is in the top third of DEs IMO and an integral part of one of the best D-lines in the NFL. Does somebody want more than that?

Angry Ram

This isn't a new thought for me. While i love his fire, he is not a 2nd overall type of guy. He plays his ass off and im glad we took him for more reasons that his sack total. But he had to switch sides to become effective. But as ive examined it more over time. He is a great run defender. He will never get 20 sacks a season, hell he may not hit 15. But i promise that RT is sore after the game. I think he is necessary.

I'm curious...what constitutes a "2nd overall type of guy?"

Chris Long, as much as I know...

Never takes plays off.
Produces sacks for the stat monkeys.
One of the highest amount of QB pressures/hurries in the NFL.
Rarely misses games.
Provides a veteran presence, leader, etc.

And like you said, good run defender, and makes that RT sore after games.

Seems to me he's a complete player and an important part of this team.

I think it's high time we stop putting labels next players regarding draft positions, salaries, and whatnot that has no effect of on-field performance. It's up to the player himself to produce.

Angry Ram

If overrated means they are really, really good players then...OK. I really don't care if some random bandwagon jumping casual fan knows who Chris Long or James Laurinaitis. Most probably didn't know who Robert Quinn was until this year (and still could not know).