Chargers: Winning Over Fans In LA?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Not really worried about this I want the Rams to win and don't care about the Chargers although they do have some talent on their roster. When Spanos lost to Enos Stanley Kroenke and now becomes his tenant I'm sure Dean will play nice, but the first team to win consistently and string together post season success will most likely have more success at the box office so to post.

FWIW's when you have them by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow and Dean Spanos has proven time and time again that is favorite game is not football, but follow the leader.

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
I think the Chargers have prioritized winning La from the LA Galaxy first. Ooops still losing, Galaxy had 25k fans. Poor chargers.

Ramlock

Here we f’n go, baby!
Name
Ramlock
7. No one extremely noticeable for casual fans to get hyped over. Rivers, Gates, Gordon, and Bosa are probably the names that have the best chance at reaching them. The first two more than the latter ones.o

Hunter Henry may end up a star in the league

HeiseNBerg

Pro Bowler
In the 2-horse race to relevance in LA, I think the Rams have an easier road.
Seahawks are going to be the biggest obstacle
Cards...who knows which team will show up this year?!?
49ers -- their rebuild looks way more daunting than the roster that McVay inherited

Meanwhile, over in the AFC West, here's what the Chargers are up against:
A resurgent Raiders team who probably would've done some postseason damage, had Derek Carr NOT suffered a late-season injury
The Chiefs, who manage to bore their way to 10+ wins each year under Andy Reid
The Broncos -- who, at this point, are very much a wild card. Looks like there's still open auditions for the starting QB job, and there's potential for dropoff on defense with Wade's departure

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I always wondered how this competition is going to play out. Kind of like Jets and Giants in NYC. But Rams have history. Do you think they still have fans from their LA days?

I'm sure the Chargers will get their share of fans, it happens to every market that has two teams in different sports.

Moving from San Diego may be the worst decision Spanos ever made, if he can't coax the spurned San Diego fanbase to head 100 miles north to support them in Inglewood.

Disagree, it was the smartest move for him. The stadium he was in couldn't satisfy his greed. Now he has more seat revenue, more suites, more sponsorships, more in game ads. This was his best move.

Should have stayed in SD, which I think a lot in the league wanted him to do.

If they wanted that why did the NFL tell Kroenke that as part of the move he was REQUIRED to allow either the Raiders or Chargers to share the stadium.

Overall, the average season-ticket price for the Chargers this season will be roughly $192 per game,

Wow............add in parking and concessions and it's going to cost a family of 4 about a grand to go see the Chargers. Holy shit.

Not really worried about this I want the Rams to win and don't care about the Chargers

Me neither. The fans that are worried about who "wins" the fans are being a bit petty. I could give a shit if the Chargers outdraw the Rams and become more popular. It doesn't change a thing about them being MY team. Why would I fucking care or worry one bit about that?

And I can assure you that the owners of both teams don't give a shit about fans anyway. They just recently proved that by fucking over two loyal fanbases for $$$. They care about getting as much money as they possibly can, and that's all. These two are not the Mara/Kraft/Bowlen/Rooney type of owner. They are the opposite.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Rams and Chargers have two common home game opponets, Redskin and Eagles.
Cheapest seat at Colesium for Rams-Skins: 31$. At StuHub for Chargers-Skins: 108$.

Cheapest seat at Colesium for Eagles-Rams 46$. At StubHub for Chargers-Eagles: 212$.

Granted views from cheapest seats at StubHub are much closer to the field, those kind of prices pretty much exclude the regular Joe and his family from being able to afford going to a Charger game.

(Prices ccording to vividseats.com)

Last edited:

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
63,000 is a lot, a lot more than 21,000
train

Yeah, but of those 63k some were cowgirl fans. its a pretty safe bet there werent any shecock fans at the charger game. So the Rams probably had twice as many Rams fans at their game than there were charger fans at their game.

Relwolf91

Starter
Name
Sean
Yeah, but of those 63k some were cowgirl fans. its a pretty safe bet there werent any shecock fans at the charger game. So the Rams probably had twice as many Rams fans at their game than there were charger fans at their game.

Idk about there not being very many Seahawk fans there last night. I felt they the fans were louder when the Seahawks scored than when the chargers scored.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I was listening to some of Doug Gottlieb today and he talked about being at the game and claimed there was a very very large contingent of Squawk fans there yesterday.

…..

Legend
I dunno....I never really paid any attention to the Clippers. They were always a lower level to me. This kinda has the same feel, though the Lakers never shared the Fabulous Forum, as Chick Hearn would call it.

It may offend some, but I dont spend a great deal of my time worrying about what the Clippers....ahem...Chargers are doing.

ninedeuce

Rookie
Chargers providing free tattoos on Tuesday

If you’re willing to permanently alter your flesh with the colors and logos of the L.A. Chargers, the L.A. Chargers are willing to pay for it. For a 12-hour window on Tuesday.

Via Sam Farmer of the Los Angeles Times, the Chargers will pay for anyone who chooses one of various available Chargers tattoos (hopefully not the initial L.A. logo) at the Shamrock Social Club in West Hollywood, from 1:00 p.m. PT to 1:00 a.m. PT.

It’s the latest front in the “Fight for L.A.,” which the Chargers intend on the surface to mean “fight on behalf of L.A.” but that in reality is a battle with the Rams (and Raiders) for the hearts, minds, wallets, and (for 12 hours on Tuesday) bodily real estate of Angelinos.

The effort comes two days after, via the Orange County Register, the Chargers drew only 21,054fans to their temporary home in Carson, which holds 27,000. As noted by the Register, plenty of Seahawks fans were in attendance.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/08/14/chargers-providing-free-tattoos-on-tuesday/

RedRam

Pro Bowler
Cowboys fans were pretty vocal though
There were far too many Dallas fans and far too many of them were freakin' abnoxious. That being said, there were some pretty freakin' obnoxious Rams fans as well.:rolleyes:
When I lived in SD many moons ago I had season tickets their last couple years in Anaheim.
I went to one preseason game.
Didn't want to drive up and deal with traffic, parking and expense for a preseason game.
If I had season tickets now and it was a 10 min drive I don't think I would go to preseason games.
I drove 350+ miles to go to Saturday's game!;)
It’s the latest front in the “Fight for L.A.,” which the Chargers intend on the surface to mean “fight on behalf of L.A.” but that in reality is a battle with the Rams (and Raiders) for the hearts, minds, wallets, and (for 12 hours on Tuesday) bodily real estate of Angelinos.

The effort comes two days after, via the Orange County Register, the Chargers drew only 21,054fans to their temporary home in Carson, which holds 27,000. As noted by the Register, plenty of Seahawks fans were in attendance.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/08/14/chargers-providing-free-tattoos-on-tuesday/
All the "Fight for LA" advertising I saw over the weekend down there got annoying really fast. It also got me thinking about how many mouth-breathing morons I'll have to attempt to tolerate at the game on the 26th. I expect a bunch of the half-wits will think the ad campaign is literal in meaning. Not that they'd know what literal means, but, it was on TV so it must be true!:thinking:

TSFH Fan

Epic Music Guy
Too bad for the Chargers that they're trying to start and grow a new fan base with the Rams having a one year marketing head start, in the middle of an absolute historic Dodger WS run and on the verge of the start of the Lonzo era.

Chargers:
Their “Fight for L.A.” slogan might be all too uncomfortable. They might have been kings in San Diego, but they figure to rank below the Kings and seven other teams in local fervor during their debut season in Los Angeles next fall.
http://www.latimes.com/sports/mlb/la-sp-dodgers-lakers-20170418-story.html

fearsomefour

Legend
Too bad for the Chargers that they're trying to start and grow a new fan base with the Rams having a one year marketing head start, in the middle of an absolute historic Dodger WS run and on the verge of the start of the Lonzo era.

Chargers:

http://www.latimes.com/sports/mlb/la-sp-dodgers-lakers-20170418-story.html
That said, if the Chargers won the super bowl, or the Rams did that matter, here is how the top three teams would rank in popularity....
Dodgers
Lakers
Championship Football Team.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That said, if the Chargers won the super bowl, or the Rams did that matter, here is how the top three teams would rank in popularity....
Dodgers
Lakers
Championship Football Team.
I love the Dodgers too, but there is too much success in a way. Everybody is high about what might happen for the Dodgers in the playoffs, I just hope they don't eat up the press clipping stories. Remember, the 1988 Dodgers beat two 100+ game winning teams on the way to a World Series victory (Mets & A's).

As for a Super Bowl winning team, that's a major reason the Raiders are still so popular in LA...Don't undercut a Super Bowl winner...

fearsomefour

Legend
I love the Dodgers too, but there is too much success in a way. Everybody is high about what might happen for the Dodgers in the playoffs, I just hope they don't eat up the press clipping stories. Remember, the 1988 Dodgers beat two 100+ game winning teams on the way to a World Series victory (Mets & A's).

As for a Super Bowl winning team, that's a major reason the Raiders are still so popular in LA...Don't undercut a Super Bowl winner...
Well, it would certainly help.
My point was LA is and has always been a baseball town first. Then the Lakers.
But, you have to be successful. If so there is plenty for everyone.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I must be hungry....I read that up there as, "Chargers offering free Tacos..."ahahahahahah....I was like, "where??? what time?"

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...-arent-exactly-winning-the-fight-for-l-a-yet/

Chargers aren’t exactly winning the “Fight for L.A.” yet
Posted by Mike Florio on August 21, 2017

836034588-e1503322437583.jpg

Getty Images

The Chargers will spend the first three seasons of their return to Los Angeles playing in a 27,000-seat soccer stadium (it was originally characterized as 30,000; apparently, they rounded up). The Chargers may have a hard time filling it up with Chargers fans.

Via Ryan Phillips of TheBigLead.com, both of the preseason games played at the StubHub Center failed to come close to selling out. Last Sunday, 21,054 tickets were sold for a game against the Seahawks. This Sunday, 21,197 tickets were sold for a game against the Saints.

Ticket sales and actual attendance are two different things, especially since season-ticket holders typically must buy seats to the preseason games in order to get seats for all of the regular-season games. But wouldn’t the curiosity factor draw fans to the venue for the first two games there, regardless of whether the games count?

None of this means that the Chargers will have empty seats starting in September, when the games do count. But there’s a chance that the fans of the opposing teams will be seen in relatively large numbers — and that given the size of the venue and the proximity of the seating area to the field they’ll be heard, too.