Chargers: Winning Over Fans In LA?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Chargers go down to Hags 48-17. Commit 4 turnovers. On their way to winning over LA fans.:rolllaugh::football:

Happy homecoming Mr. Spanos, and all those lucky Charger fans.:thinking:

Round 1 of "Fight For LA" goes decidedly to the Rams.:boxing:

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
They only had a little over 21,000 fans tonight. That's horrible. Rams definately winning so far.

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
LOL kk. So not very significant but #winning.

It is though, because the same time we were playing, the dodgers were playing, and they were sold out. The chargers have no excuses. And I'm not sure where 25 came from. The Rams had over 62,000 last night.

dolphinlover123

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It is though, because the same time we were playing, the dodgers were playing, and they were sold out. The chargers have no excuses. And I'm not sure where 25 came from. The Rams had over 62,000 last night.
Yeah and considering they only moved a few miles away from SD, we are deffo winning.

Buffaloed

UDFA
I always wondered how this competition is going to play out. Kind of like Jets and Giants in NYC. But Rams have history. Do you think they still have fans from their LA days?

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I haven't lived in SoCal in many years, but those north of Camp Pendleton and south of the grapevine could have given two shytes about the Chargers before 1987(when I left). The big town rivalry was between the Rams and the Raiders for obvious reasons. Normally, Rams fans hated the Raiders because they invaded our turf...Chargers? Who cares about the team from San Diego? That's why it always amused me when those who didn't want the Rams relocation to be successful, kept pointing to the Chargers as though they would embarrassingly take LA fans from supporting the Rams. The truth is the large Raider fan base in LA will definitely never become fans of a chief AFC West rival like the Chargers. Just as if the 49ers moved to LA, would/could Rams fans support their sorry @sses?

The big rival to the Chargers for remaining LA fans will still be the Las Vegas Raiders. The Rams have a built in advantage in LA for all of the years of being located there. Plus, it appears to me we have shifted in a winning direction.

Moving from San Diego may be the worst decision Spanos ever made, if he can't coax the spurned San Diego fanbase to head 100 miles north to support them in Inglewood.

RAMpage28

Hall of Fame
Cowboys fans were pretty vocal though

Yeah, not everyone in the stands was a Rams fan, but even if it was a 50/50 split, on 63,000 people, that would still be 31,500 Rams fans, which would be more than enough to sell out Stub Hub.

I think the poor turn out for the Chargers tonight has to do with:

1. Rams performing poorly last year and ruining the honeymoon period with L.A. and football

2. Chargers not having a strong and dedicated base in L.A.

3. Dragging their feet in getting to L.A. as most people jumped on the Rams last season. We soaked up all the hype and publicity before they could.

4. Pissing off all their previous fans

5. The venue itself

6. Preseason

7. No one extremely noticeable for casual fans to get hyped over. Rivers, Gates, Gordon, and Bosa are probably the names that have the best chance at reaching them. The first two more than the latter ones. Both of whom don't have a lot of broad appeal outside of the sport and are both on the back end of their careers. Gordon and Bosa are the young and exciting guys here that should get a lot of publicity, but really just recently got on the scene and haven't been put in the public eye much through things like ads or being talked about during that initial moving phase like the Rams players got.

RAMpage28

Hall of Fame
I haven't lived in SoCal in many years, but those north of Camp Pendleton and south of the grapevine could have given two shytes about the Chargers before 1987(when I left). The big town rivalry was between the Rams and the Raiders for obvious reasons. Normally, Rams fans hated the Raiders because they invaded our turf...Chargers? Who cares about the team from San Diego? That's why it always amused me when those who didn't want the Rams relocation to be successful, kept pointing to the Chargers as though they would embarrassingly take LA fans from supporting the Rams. The truth is the large Raider fan base in LA will definitely never become fans of a chief AFC West rival like the Chargers. Just as if the 49ers moved to LA, would/could Rams fans support their sorry @sses?

The big rival to the Chargers for remaining LA fans will still be the Las Vegas Raiders. The Rams have a built in advantage in LA for all of the years of being located there. Plus, it appears to me we have shifted in a winning direction.

Moving from San Diego may be the worst decision Spanos ever made, if he can't coax the spurned San Diego fanbase to head 100 miles north to support them in Inglewood.

The Raiders thing is big as well. The fans wanted the Rams and the Raiders over the Chargers. That would have been optimal for the NFL in terms of hype and revenue.

Spanos really blew this one big time. Should have stayed in SD, which I think a lot in the league wanted him to do.

If he was going to move to L.A. he really should have done it LAST YEAR.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
What is important is the direction of each franchise. I like the Rams' direction much more than that of the Chargers, but of course I think McVay is going to be the next great head coach in this league and we're in for an amazing run.

Leuzer

Daniel Leu
Once the Rams start winning I think Dean will realize that LA doesn't want nor support the Chargers as much as he'd hoped. Let's face it, if the Chargers can't consistently sell out a quality MLS stadium over three years, what makes you think they could put fans in the seats at Kroenke world?

At the moment, I just don't see the Chargers staying in LA for very long.

fearsomefour

Legend
When I lived in SD many moons ago I had season tickets their last couple years in Anaheim.
I went to one preseason game.
Didn't want to drive up and deal with traffic, parking and expense for a preseason game.
If I had season tickets now and it was a 10 min drive I don't think I would go to preseason games.

LARAMSinFeb.

Hall of Fame
i really don't get people supporting a stolen team. How do people do that? Does it just not cross their minds? LA of all places should get that, but I guess I'm delusional.

RAMpage28

Hall of Fame
Well here's more of an Occam's Razor answer to the bad attendance...

http://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/spo...ices-Among-NFLs-Most-Expensive-440196693.html

The Chargers have the FIFTH HIGHEST preseason ticket prices in the league. They are behind only the Pats, Broncos, Seahawks, and Texans, which are all teams you can somewhat justify, but not the Chargers.

Because they are at a new (and small) venue, and are now in the "L.A. Market" Spanos is hiking up his ticket prices to an insane level to scrounge up as much money as he can. Hoping this will change in the regular season? Not likely...

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...-for-first-year-at-30000-seat-stubhub-center/

“Playing at StubHub Center is going to offer fans a rare opportunity to see NFL action in a uniquely intimate setting,” Spanos said in a statement. “Every seat at StubHub Center will feel close to the action and fans will be right there with us on every play. Not many venues can make this claim and we expect to sell out quickly.”

The article also makes the comparison to Rams tickets (which are far cheaper) and Bears tickets, which are extremely expensive, but will probably be passed by the Chargers this year.

Overall, the average season-ticket price for the Chargers this season will be roughly $192 per game, according to the Los Angeles Times. Not only is that more than double the average ticket price from last season ($84.55), but it’s $60 more than what a Bears’ season ticket cost in 2016.

At an average cost of $131.90 per game, Chicago had the most expensive season ticket last season, a title that the Chargers will likely take once ticket prices are finalized for every team.

TL;DR Spanos is trying to spin this small venue into offering a "unique and intimate experience for fans" as he drives up prices on tickets to make up for his expenses and the lack of income he would make were he in a bigger stadium.

Spanos really botched this whole "moving to L.A." thing, didn't he?