Chargers, Rams reach agreement on sharing Inglewood stadium/ Chargers will play in San Diego in 2016

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

BuiltRamTough

Pro Bowler
Name
Edmond
The field at MetLife is FieldTurf (artificial turf).

Anyone who thinks the Coliseum could host 3 football teams who play on real grass is nuts.

RamBill

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Fred Roggin and Vinny Bonsignore talk NFL to LA. Are the Chargers coming to LA? Where will the Rams train? Oxnard looking like the front runner for the Rams temporary site….plus more.

Listen to NFL to LA Discussion

Discussion Starts at 9:00

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
There's a really big issue floating out there that hasn't been discussed and Spanos and Davis had better keep it in mind. That is that if the Chargers move to LA, then the last two team relocations will have happened to a stadium with ZERO public monies, ZERO tax abatements, and ZERO give backs.

It will not only make it harder for the Raiders to get ANY stadium built, but it will send the message that the billionaires can build the venues themselves when properly motivated

Now, I prefer it that way to be honest, but unless the NFL is trying to transition cold turkey to privately financed stadiums, Spanos had better work something out in San Diego so that the "public money" proponents within the NFL can show that the Rams/Inglewood build was an outlier rather than the new way to do business in the NFL.

Then again, wouldn't surprise me at all if the owners shot themselves in both feet on this stadium issue.
This is a really good point! Why would any city go through the expense to try to fund a stadium after what St. Louis just had done to them by the NFL? We might see the cities start to play hardball since the Rams move shows that it doesn't matter to the NFL and they can afford to pay for their own stadiums.

bluecoconuts

Legend
Originally I was all for two teams, but I want only the Rams now, and for a purely stupid reason...

I was watching a video of the Giants/Jets stadium changeover, and they were talking about center field.. Changing over the logo at the 50 yard line causes concerns, so they have opted for the NFL shield instead.

I want to see the Rams logo at center field.... And that's why I don't want a second team in LA.

RamBill

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Chargers expected to make a decision on L.A. soon
By Vincent Bonsignore, Los Angeles Daily News

http://www.dailynews.com/sports/20160125/chargers-expected-to-make-a-decision-on-la-soon

While the Rams continue the arduous process of moving back to Los Angeles, the San Diego Chargers are still deciding whether to join them or not.

The agreement between the two teams to go silent while the situation unfolds has left the rest of us in guess mode.

On the other hand, if the Chargers had any trust issues dealing with the Rams beforehand, the silence over the last week has to bode well. It means everyone is keeping their word about respecting the information blackout.

That said, there is an ominous clock ticking in the background. The Chargers have a schedule to market, a staff and roster to either move or keep in place, and a deadline to inform Qualcomm Stadium whether they are opting out of their lease or not.

Ideally, their decision will come sometime this week. Waiting any longer really puts them behind the eight-ball, not only in Los Angeles, where they will share the market with a Rams brand that just lined up more than 45,000 season-ticket deposits over just 48 hours for the 2016 season, but also San Diego, where they’d have to make up with a scorned fan base.

The consensus is, the Chargers will pull the trigger on a decision this week. They’ve spent the last seven days digging into the Inglewood stadium partnership with the Rams, seeking a comfort level they will be protected over the long haul of the relationship.

The Rams have insisted from the beginning they would be willing partners, a message owner Stan Kroenke and CEO Kevin Demoff delivered to the rest of the NFL two weeks ago in Houston, when they were approved for relocation to Los Angeles with the understanding a second spot was open to either the Chargers or Oakland Raiders.

The Rams understand the eyes of the NFL are upon them, and promise they will uphold their promise to be good partners.

Now it’s up to the Chargers to decide whether that comfort level is with the Rams in Los Angeles, or in San Diego, using the leverage of L.A. to spur local leaders into approving a stadium deal.

It’s been quiet on that front for a week now. But after seven days of silence, expect some action at some point this week.

In the meantime, the Rams are laying the foundation for their return, and could soon be closing in on a temporary headquarters site for staff to work and players and coaches to work out. Among the locations they are looking at is Oxnard, where the Dallas Cowboys hold training camp.

RAMS MAKE MOVES

As expected, the Rams have lifted the interim from Rob Boras’ title as offensive coordinator and added Mike Groh as wide receivers coach and passing game coordinator.

The move to make Boras the permanent offensive coordinator was expected after he ably handled the job over the final four games of the 2015 season upon replacing Frank Cignetti.

But with Boras more apt in the running game and Rams head coach Jeff Fisher wanting to also tap into more passing game expertise, Groh was a logical candidate. He spent the past three seasons as wide receivers coach with the Chicago Bears and previously worked at the college level at Virginia, Alabama and Louisville.

LONG OPEN TO PAY CUT

As the Rams make their way back to L.A., one of the pressing questions is how many of their current players will make the trip with them from St. Louis.

And for some, that might mean adjusting their salaries to help ensure they will land in Los Angeles along with the Rams.

Veteran defensive end Chris Long is already bracing for that reality. Long is entering the final year of his contract and is set to make a team-high $14.25 million. That is a significant hit to the Rams’ salary cap, especially for someone who missed 14 games over the last two seasons and managed just four sacks between 2014 and 2015 after recording 33 over the previous three seasons.

As a result, Long’s future with the Rams could mean having to adjust his salary to fit his current level of reliability and production.

Long expressed a willingness to ESPN.com to do just that in order to play out the final year of his Rams contract.

“Of course,” Long said. “But I’m not a guy that, I mean, the last two years I have been paid more than I’ve performed. That’s just the bottom line. It’s a business. Sometimes teams win and sometimes teams lose with that stuff, so you’re certainly not rushing to give the money you earned back.

“You can’t control certain things with injuries and such, but of course I’m open to doing something like that. It’s not about the money at this point for me.”

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
but of course I’m open to doing something like that. It’s not about the money at this point for me.”

I think Long is back, at reduced rate.

And... As an original member to this haul... He deserves the good days to come.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I think it's the Rams and Rams only in LA, 2016.

Just seems like the plan all along.

Not saying it's cool. The whole thing has been anything but that.

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
Apparently Pat Haden said they'd consider it. Not sure he has thought it all through though. I didn't really think about the locker rooms being USC's locker rooms either. I wonder how that is going to work. I mean they have to be done up in Maroon and Yellow - right?

I wonder if in that vast space under the seats another locker room or two cold be constructed.

I'm sure it (they) could, and porobably will as part of the $270M renovation.
But adding 4 locker rooms would take à while.

Last edited:

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I have to figure the NFL wants the Chargers in SD and the Raiduhs in Oakland - both with new stadiums that the league will help them get. Thatway also, the LA stadium still has the second team capability for leveragepurposes.

Exactly. I think you nailed it.

LetsGoRams

Pro Bowler
Name
Thrasher
gomer_pyle.jpg

Ramatik

Starter
This is a really good point! Why would any city go through the expense to try to fund a stadium after what St. Louis just had done to them by the NFL? We might see the cities start to play hardball since the Rams move shows that it doesn't matter to the NFL and they can afford to pay for their own stadiums.

Maybe they won't. Sacramento just did it with the Kings, NBA. But cities should also know that if they make an agreement, then try to weasel out of it... then they could lose their team like St Louis did. You either make a good deal or you don't.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Maybe they won't. Sacramento just did it with the Kings, NBA. But cities should also know that if they make an agreement, then try to weasel out of it... then they could lose their team like St Louis did. You either make a good deal or you don't.

Wow, who weaseled out of a deal? Explain..........

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
The logistics don't seem to work to me (agree with some that there is NO WAY to have three teams playing on natural grass in one season). I don;t know what the exact restrictions are, but it wouldn;t surprise me if Stan just priced the partnership out of reach of Spanos and Davis. Forcing them to pay close to half of stadium cost would be enough to make them to kick rocks. That way the NFL keeps its "carrot" in LA and SD and Oakland keep their franchises.....most likely with PUBLICLY funded stadiums. Seems almost too logical....

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
And you don't think maybe they winked at Stan a time or two when they made him "promise" he'd be willing to work with them?

The extra locker room/offices could remain unoccupied and pay for themselves if the NFL can use them to extract funds from other municipalities that are fighting to keep their teams. This gives them the best of both worlds - the get LA and they still have the threat of LA to get other cities to pay up.

You may think I'm being too cynical, but I don't think so when you look at the way the whole thing went down in the first place.

I live in an area that has fans from all over the country, I'm in SWFL. I talk to football fans of almost every team throughout the course of a season. Most of the bars here have every game on and you will see fans of each team sitting within view of the TV that has their team on.

Since this whole deal unfolded I haven't talked to a single person that has decent knowledge of what happened and likes/approves of how this all went down and most of them don't give a rip about where the Rams play. A couple have said that they "belong" in LA yet still they thought the whole process was distasteful.

The general consensus is the Rams and the NFL fucked STL over and lied through the entire process.

bluecoconuts

Legend

I'm assuming he's talking about not honoring the top tier clause, and then offering up a new stadium that he had to pay the majority of, wouldn't own, and still didn't meet the top tier clause.

St Louis was dammed if they did, damned if they didn't. Either way the NFL saw it as them not living up to the terms of the deal, and therefore the Rams were free to relocate.

Ramatik

Starter

Wait... I don't want to be inflammatory. I shouldn't have said it like that. bluecoconuts said it much better.

I'm just starting to get a bit tired of all the bitchin and whining about how bad and heartless Stan is. I feel like he's a great guy. I think it you make a deal, you can't be all butthurt and blame the other side when you didn't hold up your end of the bargain.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
But the kicker may be, if the Rams don't make a deal with the Chargers, they could get stuck with the Raiders...
IDK, I just don't see the Raiders waiting two years to get a deal done! And I think they should stay in Oakland where they belong!!

lordbannon

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
it wouldn;t surprise me if Stan just priced the partnership out of reach of Spanos and Davis. Forcing them to pay close to half of stadium cost would be enough to make them to kick rocks.

This seems likely to me. Neither Spanos or Davis look to want to be a tenant in someone else's stadium, but I don't see either of them being able to front over a billion to be a partner in the Inglewood supercomplex AND paying another half billion for the privilege of moving.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Originally I was all for two teams, but I want only the Rams now, and for a purely stupid reason...

I was watching a video of the Giants/Jets stadium changeover, and they were talking about center field.. Changing over the logo at the 50 yard line causes concerns, so they have opted for the NFL shield instead.

I want to see the Rams logo at center field.... And that's why I don't want a second team in LA.
Those aren't stupid reasons at all.
I'm right there with ya.