Alex Mack Anyone?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Care to elaborate? And I want to mention that Chicago is gonna use the tag on Jeffery, so he's not an alternative, in case that was it.

But I'd like to hear your thoughts...

How many times do we have to get bit in the behind by signing OLs nearing the decline before we stop?

Cleveland fans ripped Mack this year for not playing anywhere near his past self. He broke his leg in 2014 and then had a down year in 2015. He's now 30 years old, hitting FA, and looking for a big pay day. Let someone else take that risk.

Could the guy return to form? Sure. But we have enough young free agents of our own worth re-signing and a strong Center draft class. There's no reason to let a talented Rams player walk in order to sign Mack. The risk isn't worth the reward imo. Nor would I be willing to pass up a younger FA like Marvin Jones to sign Mack.

These types of signings (Long, Wells, Brown, Davin Joseph, Bell, etc.) have routinely not panned out for us. And the warning signs are there in this case yet again.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Well, I dunno. Evan Mathis turned in a really solid year for Denver.

Is it us and a streak of bad luck at the position? Other teams also fall into this at various positions, Chargers come to mind... Or is it poor Pro personnel evaluation? Bad dumb luck?

I agree we should never discount the draft and I'm almost hoarse repeating myself that we need to resign our guys first and then see what we can do. Maybe it's better to extend Brockers than get a big FA. I dunno.

If Alex Mack truly wants to be the highest paid center in the NFL, then my vote is no. That would change it for me. We still have to tie up Brockers and Aaron Donald after this year... And that AD contract is gonna send shockwaves...

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Mack's a fit with the Rams because he'd be an immense upgrade centering two very young and talented OGs. I think he is gonna be a Timmerman type signing for some lucky team. This isn't some guy looking for a bonus so he can quit, the dude is a competitor who's been languishing on a terrible team and who probably wants the F out of yet another rebuild.

If he's looking to break the bank, then that will change things. But there's no way I'd turn my nose up at an option like him if he hits FA. Gotta take a look, bring him in, whatever.

NateDawg122

Pro Bowler
Mack's a fit with the Rams because he'd be an immense upgrade centering two very young and talented OGs. I think he is gonna be a Timmerman type signing for some lucky team. This isn't some guy looking for a bonus so he can quit, the dude is a competitor who's been languishing on a terrible team and who probably wants the F out of yet another rebuild.

If he's looking to break the bank, then that will change things. But there's no way I'd turn my nose up at an option like him if he hits FA. Gotta take a look, bring him in, whatever.

I would like to see a big veteran upgrade at Center. It's a position that favors experience and Mack is as good as it gets at that position. We have more cap room than any other team, let's use it.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
I can see @jrry32 's concern. We haven't had the best luck lately with FAs on the OL.

That said, if he's not trying to be the highest paid center in the league and simply wants to move up and get out of dodge, then AFTER SIGNING OUR GUYS, I say talk to him.

It may be moot since some team may scoop him up quick, but it won't be the Raiders since they went big on a C last offseason.

After we sign our guys, my BIG CONCERN is that the FO is leaving money in the future to extend Brockers and then AD. Beyond that, go get 'em.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I would like to see a big veteran upgrade at Center. It's a position that favors experience and Mack is as good as it gets at that position. We have more cap room than any other team, let's use it.

We are going to use it...to re-sign half of our defensive starters. After that, we'll have a limited amount left. Do you use that money to sign a 30 year old C who was average at best this year based on his past level of play or do you use that money to sign a 25-26 year old WR with the ability to improve? Especially considering this being a weaker WR draft and an exceptional strong C draft.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
We are going to use it...to re-sign half of our defensive starters. After that, we'll have a limited amount left. Do you use that money to sign a 30 year old C who was average at best this year based on his past level of play or do you use that money to sign a 25-26 year old WR with the ability to improve? Especially considering this being a weaker WR draft and an exceptional strong C draft.

Well I'm not sure at this point what the Rams will have left once they re-sign the guys they want to keep on defense. If it's as you say, then yes a weapon in the passing game is more important because centers can be had into midrounds. But I am not certain the two are mutually exclusive at this point.

NateDawg122

Pro Bowler

You're assuming that we sign both Tru and Jenkins. I don't think that's optimal. I'd like to have both but, given the choice, I would rather have Tru and a big FA receiver. Also, if the Rams don't do everything they can to help the running game then Gurley will be wasted just like Jackson was. I think you can sign Tru, a FA receiver, Hayes, McLeod, and Mack. This is all assuming that Fisher and co. believe that Mack can return to form. No matter what happens, I either want Mack or Wisniewski. We need a big upgrade at Center. Barnes just isn't athletic enough.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You're assuming that we sign both Tru and Jenkins. I don't think that's optimal. I'd like to have both but, given the choice, I would rather have Tru and a big FA receiver. Also, if the Rams don't do everything they can to help the running game then Gurley will be wasted just like Jackson was. I think you can sign Tru, a FA receiver, Hayes, McLeod, and Mack. This is all assuming that Fisher and co. believe that Mack can return to form. No matter what happens, I either want Mack or Wisniewski. We need a big upgrade at Center. Barnes just isn't athletic enough.

Given the choice, I'm taking our two young CBs over a 30 year old Center that might be in decline. I don't know why you'd let a player that has proven he can excel in our scheme, that's about to enter his prime, and that we developed walk away so we can sign a player coming off his worst year as a pro that is 30 years old.

If the Rams want to help the running game, they'll work hard to develop a real passing game this off-season.

I don't want to pay for a Center in FA. The Rams only have so many resources. There will be quality Centers available in Day 2 and Day 3 of this draft. The Rams can get Barnes back at a reasonable cost. You start Barnes and develop a talented young Center. Then you use the money to sign a talented WR. We keep our defense in place, we improve the passing game, and continue the youth movement on the OL.

NateDawg122

Pro Bowler
Given the choice, I'm taking our two young CBs over a 30 year old Center that might be in decline. I don't know why you'd let a player that has proven he can excel in our scheme, that's about to enter his prime, and that we developed walk away so we can sign a player coming off his worst year as a pro that is 30 years old.

If the Rams want to help the running game, they'll work hard to develop a real passing game this off-season.

I don't want to pay for a Center in FA. The Rams only have so many resources. There will be quality Centers available in Day 2 and Day 3 of this draft. The Rams can get Barnes back at a reasonable cost. You start Barnes and develop a talented young Center. Then you use the money to sign a talented WR. We keep our defense in place, we improve the passing game, and continue the youth movement on the OL.

To each his own. We have different opinions about free agency. I think it doesn't make a lot of sense to ignore a deficiency on the offensive side of the ball to pay a guy like Jenkins huge money when we have Gaines coming back next year. Yet again, this is all assuming they think Mack can get back to form. If they don't believe he can I still think Wis would be worth the money. He'll be 27 at the start of next year and he's a huge upgrade at the position. I'm not too keen on the idea of Barnes starting for us next year.

Btw the youth movement approach bit us in the ass last year. Injecting youth into the line is a good idea but we could have really used a few veteran guys last year. A veteran starter in the middle of the line would be a good presence to have on our line.

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
To each his own. We have different opinions about free agency. I think it doesn't make a lot of sense to ignore a deficiency on the offensive side of the ball to pay a guy like Jenkins huge money when we have Gaines coming back next year. Yet again, this is all assuming they think Mack can get back to form. If they don't believe he can I still think Wis would be worth the money. He'll be 27 at the start of next year and he's a huge upgrade at the position. I'm not too keen on the idea of Barnes starting for us next year.

Btw the youth movement approach bit us in the ass last year. Injecting youth into the line is a good idea but we could have really used a few veteran guys last year. A veteran starter in the middle of the line would be a good presence to have on our line.

At the same time, your expecting Gaines to come back from injury no problem. It's the same thing. Except your taking the older player more likely to decline, and jrry wants the young guy entering his prime. Priorities man. You don't develop a guy to watch him leave. The whole "ignoring" an important part of the offense is a bit much. Like you said, go get Wis for much cheaper, or draft an alternative. I'm not wasting 8+ million on an old injured centre.

NateDawg122

Pro Bowler
At the same time, your expecting Gaines to come back from injury no problem. It's the same thing. Except your taking the older player more likely to decline, and jrry wants the young guy entering his prime. Priorities man. You don't develop a guy to watch him leave. The whole "ignoring" an important part of the offense is a bit much. Like you said, go get Wis for much cheaper, or draft an alternative. I'm not wasting 8+ million on an old injured centre.

Point taken. It remains to be seen if we can even bring back both corners. If teams could bring back all the players they've developed then there wouldn't be much of a free agency. I don't know how much Tru and Jenkins are asking for. Now that I think about it Wis would probably be the better value at Center. We have to get some help there though.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Agree 100%

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Why did we have to go to the youth movement approach? Because we tried the veteran free agency approach and it blew up in our faces. As inconsistent as our young guys were, they performed better than the veteran OLs we've used in past years. And the thing about a youth movement is that players tend to progress with experience. When you bring in vets in or near the decline, they tend to get worse. I'd rather be trending upwards than downwards on the OL.

I don't really get all the love with Wisniewski. He was average at best in Oakland and not any better in Jacksonville. I'd rather stick with Barnes at half the price. He knows the system and he has the continuity factor on his side. Then draft and develop a Center behind him.

NateDawg122

Pro Bowler
Why did we have to go to the youth movement approach? Because we tried the veteran free agency approach and it blew up in our faces. As inconsistent as our young guys were, they performed better than the veteran OLs we've used in past years. And the thing about a youth movement is that players tend to progress with experience. When you bring in vets in or near the decline, they tend to get worse. I'd rather be trending upwards than downwards on the OL.

I don't really get all the love with Wisniewski. He was average at best in Oakland and not any better in Jacksonville. I'd rather stick with Barnes at half the price. He knows the system and he has the continuity factor on his side. Then draft and develop a Center behind him.

Heaven forbid we have a mixture of youth and experience... Just look at how much having Reynolds next to Robinson helped him. Wis wouldn't cost a ton and would be much better than Barnes who, as much as I like him, is a glorified backup. It would also be 1 less position of need in the draft. We already need a WR or two, a QB, a TE, a LB, and a defensive linemen. I don't want to add Center to that list.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Heaven forbid we have a mixture of youth and experience... Just look at how much having Reynolds next to Robinson helped him. Wis wouldn't cost a ton and would be much better than Barnes who, as much as I like him, is a glorified backup. It would also be 1 less position of need in the draft. We already need a WR or two, a QB, a TE, a LB, and a defensive linemen. I don't want to add Center to that list.

Center is just as much on that list with Barnes as it is with Wis.

The Jaguars have tons of cap room. There's a reason they haven't re-signed him.

fearsomefour

Legend

I liked Wiz over all in Oakland....his last year there I agree he was average. I didn't see a ton of Jacksonville games this year, but, sort of heard the same thing, just sort of average. Unless it is a meaningful upgrade there is no reason to go away from Barnes.
As we know, no one recovers fumbles like Barnes.