Adam Schefter Trumaine Johnson to be tagged again

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
THIS!!!!! Exactly right you are. So dumb on Snead's part.

I think Demoff is the cash guy. He puts , his opinion in on things way to much.
He is Kronks guy.

Will see this off season though how much influence Snead has. You might be a little to fired up ?? Who's idea was signing Tavon Austin ???
-- Why did The Rams resign Saffold so fast while almost still a Raider. I mean why not make the NFL & Raiders sweat out that situation ??
Who signed that CB from T.Tiatans ??

There are a lot of Chiefs even know The Rams are not in the Show Me State .

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Personally it's a lot of cap for him, BUT, we also can't afford to lose him either. There was a drop off losing JJ and it would only get worse losing Tru, IMO..

Hopefully they get a longer term deal done that's more cap friendly.

They should of done this already but is what it is now.

You think ?? Why sign Tavon Austin instead of your franchise CB's. Someone said Austin is like the 2nd highest WR ?? That can't be Tru ??

ninedeuce

Rookie
I can see extending Tru if he comes close to Talib's effectiveness in Wade's defense. That said his injury history is a big factor. I know the tag number is steep but there may not be a choice at this point.

I would try to get Logan Ryan at a much more reasonable contract but he probably winds up getting overpaid as well. He made a lot of money with postseason play.

RamsFlash80

Pro Bowler
Id rather do this than lose him for nothing. Hopefully they can work a fair long term deal this time.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
That's the 16 million dollar question.
It's though to gauge at this point.

Is Gaines going to come into camp healthier than last year and improve on the promise he show hi rookie year?

Will Joyner improve?I personally don't want to see him outside. I really like the FS idea for Joyner. Keep the ball in front of him.

Can Johnson be repkaced this year thorough FA and the draft?

Add in a new coaching staff whom has a lot of work in front of them in evaluating this team.

I'm on the fence about giving Tru over 16 mill.
I think we may have to though, otherwise our CB position could be a huge liability

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I hope somebody signs him and we get two first round picks. It might be fun to see people heads explode from not knowing whether to be angry or not especially after they've been so vocal about trading away picks for a QB.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
I'm not on the fence about giving Tru a second tag.

For me, it's simple. Tru ain't worth $16.7 million for a 1 year rental. And then we're still in a CB crises in '18. Hell no!.

Either Tru and his agent are reasonable and extend for around $12 million per with a fat guaranteed amount, or he won't. In which case, it's sayonara, man.

Read my lips. Tru is a "want", but definitely not a "must have".

We can sign another experienced FA at CB for around $8 million, then get a Leary type for starting OG for the same or less money than tagging Tru again. Two starters at positions of need instead of just one. And it's not as if Tru had a career year last year, either.

Then draft a talented CB in the 2nd or 3rd round to start on the other side.

Let's pause and take a deep breath, fellas.

We're not trapped. We're not in a corner regarding Tru's CB situation. On the contrary, we've got lots and lots of other options. Options that Wade can make work very very well.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Let him walk IMO if somebody wants to sign him. Take the 2 1st round picks and use the money to sign 2 starter quality CB.

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
It's the same GM who ticked away all the freed cap space from letting go of Cook, Laurinaitis and Long. It's the same GM that signed the 118th ranked CB over Pro Bowler Casey Hayward and for the same amount. Nothing will shock me with Snead. We missed out on a stud at GM in Chris Ballard. He will turn around Indy just watch.
I really think you can spread some of that hate on to Demoff. He is ultimately responsible for signing players. I think Demoff is why we don't have JJ. I can hear it know. Sure you can have JJ, but not for more than 45mil. Then Snead starts to scramble to fill out the defensive backfield. That one decision skewed the whole offseason.

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
I like Goff I just don't like how much we spent on him. Especially when there are projects like Mahomes that would have been received for a lot less. One thing you need to keep in mind. Trading up for this guy completely threw the season in the toilet. He wasn't ready to start the season and because of that we were missing a first, two seconds and a third round pick on the field that year with a giant gaping hole in the OL and CB. All I'm saying the replacement value far exceeds Goff. I hope he kills it and proves me wrong. I am not even saying he's a bust or will be a bust I just worry he is another Sam Bradford. Not worth a first overall pick.

You know, I remember last year's offseason. Most of us thought, if we only had a QB we would have made the playoffs. We were that close. The Rams seemed to think that also. So they made a move. The only reason you are doubting the move this offseason is because Fisher screwed the pooch and didn't pull out all the stops to get him ready. He probably couldn't because he went to walmart for his offensive brain trust. You will see. This QB has rare ability to move in the pocket while looking down field. He has a pro arm and if he gets any kind of help you will be writing articles about how awesome and tough a QB he is.

StealYoGurley

Pro Bowler
Best case scenario this is negotiating ploy to get a long term deal done, because no team is giving up 2 first round picks and pay 14 mil a year for Tru.

I think he Tru wants to be back he is a Cali native and loves living in LA. Usually players in his position don't resign before FA because they want to get the best deal on the open market. Ideally, the threat of the tag ensures he wont get the chance to hit the open market anyway, so he might as well get some long term stability in a place he wants to be anyway. He wont get tagged a third year in row so he can play under the tag and bet on himself with the risk of injury or a bad year or he can get some long term stability by signing a long term extension now or durring the offseason while he is on the tag.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Best case scenario this is negotiating ploy to get a long term deal done, because no team is giving up 2 first round picks and pay 14 mil a year for Tru.

I think he Tru wants to be back he is a Cali native and loves living in LA. Usually players in his position don't resign before FA because they want to get the best deal on the open market. Ideally, the threat of the tag ensures he wont get the chance to hit the open market anyway, so he might as well get some long term stability in a place he wants to be anyway. He wont get tagged a third year in row so he can play under the tag and bet on himself with the risk of injury or a bad year or he can get some long term stability by signing a long term extension now or durring the offseason while he is on the tag.

wasn't that the plan last season?

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
I think Demoff is the cash guy. He puts , his opinion in on things way to much.
He is Kronks guy.

Will see this off season though how much influence Snead has. You might be a little to fired up ?? Who's idea was signing Tavon Austin ???
-- Why did The Rams resign Saffold so fast while almost still a Raider. I mean why not make the NFL & Raiders sweat out that situation ??
Who signed that CB from T.Tiatans ??

There are a lot of Chiefs even know The Rams are not in the Show Me State .
This reminds me ... during Hard Knocks ... when they are discussing the TA signing ... Snead, Fisher and someone else are in a room and Snead makes some comments about "#1 money, but not #1 production" .. .something along those lines. Does anyone have it recorded? When I watched it during the season ... those comments struck me that Snead was NOT really cool with the contract.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame

It's not so much about whether we lose Tru. It's more about whether we have a starting caliber CB on the opening day 52.

No opening day #1 caliber CB on the team would mean 2.5 additional losses.

I am guessing based upon how many games JJ used to cost us!

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I'm not on the fence about giving Tru a second tag.

For me, it's simple. Tru ain't worth $16.7 million for a 1 year rental. And then we're still in a CB crises in '18. Hell no!.

Either Tru and his agent are reasonable and extend for around $12 million per with a fat guaranteed amount, or he won't. In which case, it's sayonara, man.

Read my lips. Tru is a "want", but definitely not a "must have".

We can sign another experienced FA at CB for around $8 million, then get a Leary type for starting OG for the same or less money than tagging Tru again. Two starters at positions of need instead of just one. And it's not as if Tru had a career year last year, either.

Then draft a talented CB in the 2nd or 3rd round to start on the other side.

Let's pause and take a deep breath, fellas.

We're not trapped. We're not in a corner regarding Tru's CB situation. On the contrary, we've got lots and lots of other options. Options that Wade can make work very very well.

I believe that Two outside CB's is an excellent ideal anyway you look at it. Since signing a decent LT is way out there then your ideal of seriously upgrading the nearest post to LT is very smart.

McVay will just have to gang up on LT's from what we have: Rodger Saffold, Andrew Donnal, Darrell Williams & Pace Murphy with GRob being the last line of the emergency back ups to play with Leary.

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
You think ?? Why sign Tavon Austin instead of your franchise CB's. Someone said Austin is like the 2nd highest WR ?? That can't be Tru ??

Well most of us don't agree with what TA got paid. That was a management decision.
And it's hard to compare a WR with a CB.
It may very well work out that way, doesn't mean it should though.