Aaron Donald noncommittal on reporting to training camp

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
The Rams ARE negotiating.
They are willing to do a fair deal, I think. Haven't seen evidence to the contrary, anyway.
Who's advocating the lowballing of AD? Nobody that I've seen or heard.

Best player on team....The guy Hammer was the first person I saw use BPOT.....well Donald IS the BPOT. I think he's looking at the guys that HAVE gotten paid....much more than their actual worth. It wouldn't surprise me if he expected a blank checkbook approach since he really DOES play at the level, if not better, than the best paid players at his position (DT/pass-rusher)...which I'd say should be a little higher than Miller...and more guaranteed than Suh...didn't the cap just rise?

Just get this type of press out of the news...and move forward with the team not me...new culture...cause this APPEARS to be old culture type bs....and next thing you know, we gotta trade AD.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Anyone else see the simalaraties with Orlando Pace? He liked to hold out of TC and re-negotiate his contract too.

Donald needs to concentrate more on creating turnovers than bumping his sack total IMHO.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
The question is NOT whether or not AD deserves a raise. It's rather how much and how soon he should get his raise. Given that he's currently under contract for 2 more years plus the Rams know that they can exercise the tag twice. That's a ton of leverage, y'all.

They've exercised the tag twice for TruJo, so we know that they sure as hell will exercise it twice for the likes of AD.

The good news is that there is a middle ground somewhere in terms of money, length of extension, and guaranteed money that can allow all parties to walk away happy.

More good news? Both sides appear to be behaving like adults and both sides want to get this done.

I foresee a happy ending to this drama.

This is the way I see it, too.

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If the Rams screw up these negotiations with AD, I swear I'll try to switch teams.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I realize we critique the TruJo situation, and Tavon's contract, etc. but Kevin D has done very well with contracts and cap over the years.

Me personally, I am confident this will be resolved to everyone's satisfaction.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Me personally, I am confident this will be resolved to everyone's satisfaction.

I want it resolved before training camp. You need to send a message that you will pay the people who perform, that will send a message about the organization and be an underlying motivator as well.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Trying to figure out where the $$$ from the future cap or current cap will come from. We know that the near 17 million for Trumaine will be gone along with him. The release of often injured Rob Quinn after this season will save a near 12 million. There's another 6.5 mil in saving with a release of Saffold after this season. Rams can release the mega $$TA deal after the 2018 season. So there are some areas of options. Non of the above player have not been all that dependable on the field.

Rams have done many things to assist AD to be acclaimed as he is......changed the defensive line play in 2014 to accommodate. Brockers was moved to NT, A very good DT Kendall Langford was bench early & sent packing. Rams have provided AD with excellent reliefs signed since his arrival i.e. Nick Fairley & Dom Easley. A new DC is hired with a 34 concept & AD will play the same position & on.

I am not going to bash this new Administration too hard here if AD high salary demands goes beyond what this new Org see's as good for this entire team & if AD demands will be damaging the team long term wise. Also it might be that AD might also be home sick & he might want to live out his childhood dream & play for the Pittsburgh Steelers too.:sick:

Last edited:

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I want it resolved before training camp. You need to send a message that you will pay the people who perform, that will send a message about the organization and be an underlying motivator as well.
I agree he needs to be paid. But you also need to send a message that you're not going to keep renegotiating contracts with 2 years left on them. He'll get paid I have no doubts about that.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Trying to figure out where the $$$ from the future cap or current cap will come from. We know that the near 17 million for Trumaine will be gone along with him. The release of often injured Rob Quinn after this season will save a near 12 million. There's another 6.5 mil in saving with a release of Saffold after this season. Rams can release the mega $$TA deal after the 2018 season. So there are some areas of options. Non of the above player have not been all that dependable on the field.

Rams have done many things to assist AD to be acclaimed as he is......changed the defensive line play in 2014 to accommodate. Brockers was moved to NT, A very good DT Kendall Langford was bench early & sent packing. Rams have provided AD with excellent reliefs signed since his arrival i.e. Fairley & Easley. A new DC is hired with a 34 concept & AD will play the same position & on & on......I not going to bash this new Administration too hard here if AD high salary demands goes beyond what the Org see's as damaging the team long into the future.

I trying to look at it from both sides here.
2018 money isn't an issue there's nearly $40 million in space on the cap next year.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
2018 money isn't an issue there's nearly $40 million in space on the cap next year.
I like this^ But Just how many good, worthy of paying Players, will we have as potential FA's etc. in 2018!?

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Year to year cap salaries always seem to be an issue. In 2018 Rams will have 8 current slated starters who will be UFA's with another 5 important reserves along with them.Total possible of 13 new contracts. But we are not just speaking of one 2018 salary cap are we ....AD's contract will effect many years of them?;)

LB'ers Barwin & Ogletree, OC Sullivan, starting safeties Alexander & Joyner & 3rd corner Nickell Robey-Coleman, DLer's Ethan Wesbrooks & Dom Easley plus corners Johnson & Gaines just to name a few. In 2018 Rams will have its full cadre of draft picks too.

Rams43

Hall of Fame

Rams have done many things to assist AD to be acclaimed as he is......changed the defensive line play in 2014 to accommodate. Brockers was moved to NT, A very good DT Kendall Langford was bench early & sent packing. Rams have provided AD with excellent reliefs signed since his arrival i.e. Nick Fairley & Dom Easley. A new DC is hired with a 34 concept & AD will play the same position & on.

I am not going to bash this new Administration too hard here if AD high salary demands goes beyond what this new Org see's as good for this entire team & if AD demands will be damaging the team long term wise. Also it might be that AD might also be home sick & he might want to live out his childhood dream & play for the Pittsburgh Steelers too.:sick:

Plus Tavon, if released or traded, will provide a few million more in available cap dollars.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I like this^ But Just how many good, worthy of paying Players, will we have as potential FA's etc. in 2018!?

Bonifay answers for me as I knew would happen :)

Year to year cap salaries always seem to be an issue. In 2018 Rams will have 8 current slated starters who will be UFA's with another 5 important reserves along with them.Total possible of 13 new contracts. But we are not just speaking of one 2018 salary cap are we ....AD's contract will effect many years of them?;)

LB'ers Barwin & Ogletree, OC Sullivan, starting safeties Alexander & Joyner & 3rd corner Nickell Robey-Coleman, DLer's Ethan Wesbrooks & Dom Easley plus corners Johnson & Gaines just to name a few. In 2018 Rams will have its full cadre of draft picks too.

Barwin and Tree have good young depth behind them plus Barwin could be cheap again. Hell the way most people talk Joyner is a liability not sure why you listed him. Alexander is nice but won't get a huge pay raise. NRC we don't know anything about really as most list CB as our biggest weakness and unknown. Westbrooks is a backup and the world will hardly end if we lose him. Easley has been nice but there's a reason we got him as cheaply as we did. TruJo unless he signs a new long term deal is gone after week 17. Gaines is a huge Question mark, had a good year, got hurt and followed that up with a bad year. What do we get this year we don't know but you put him on the list to make it as big as possible. Sullivan is yet another big question mark but has Blythe behind him signed to 2020 and Eldrenkamp. All nice players but hardly game changers if we lose them.

You left off Lance Dunbar and Cody Davis. Both can be replaced by younger version, who might even be on the roster right now (hello Justin Davis and John Johnson).

All of them would also contribute to compensation picks. Donald is IMO the only important upcoming free agent. 2019 also sees Quinn, Saffold, Webster, Havenstein and Brown as free agents along with some back up. We resign Donald and life will go on.

Ram65

Legend

I don't think the Rams are is a desperate cap situation next year. The will have about 40 Million as of today for next year before the near year adjustment maybe 12 Million.
http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cap/2018/

I would see how Quinn's production goes this year. He should be standing up at the snap and that could keep him healthier. He has two years remaining on contract at approx 12.3 and 12.9 Million after 2017 season which is very reasonable if he gets close to his former playing status. It's time to start looking for replacement just in case he gets injured again. It's not easy finding edge pass rushers with Quinn's ability.

Saffold's one year remaining contract at 6.5 Million is very reasonable too if he stays relatively healthy. If they would leave Saffold at guard he has a better chance of staying healthy from past history. Quinn just turned 27 while Saffold just turned 29. If he does Rams could give him a reasonable 2 year extension.

Tavon and Baron could be out if they don't live up to their contracts. Tavon's contract gives the Rams a bigger hit this year but, he has to get close to 2015 production. Baron is an unknown in 3-4 so it's a wait and see deal.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/07/06/michael-brockers-to-rams-pay-aaron-donald/

Michael Brockers to Rams: Pay Aaron Donald
Posted by Charean Williams on July 6, 2017

612050208-e1499387236938.jpg
Getty Images

Michael Brockers has one thing to say to the Rams when it comes to Aaron Donald: Pay the man.

Brockers fully supports his teammate as Donald seeks a raise over the $3.2 million in salary and bonuses the Rams are scheduled to pay him this season. Donald, a three-time Pro Bowl selection, skipped the three weeks of OTAs in his bid for a new deal, and Brockers said Rams players will fully support Donald if the defensive tackle holds out of training camp.

“At the end of the day, that’s our brother,” Brockers told Ross Tucker and Torry Holt on SiriusXM NFL Radio. “We’ll go to war with him and for him. We respect any decision. He deserves it. You look at the record, being the most dominant defensive tackle in the league, and he’s just making all these phenomenal numbers and stuff like that. And, obviously, pay the man. Obviously. He’s put in him some major work for this team and I think he deserves it.”

Donald has 28 career sacks and four forced fumbles in three seasons.

“I don’t think people understand how much of a critic he is of himself,” Brockers said. “He watches so much film of himself, and you hear the greatest players that ever played this game talk about how they watch film more of themselves than they do the opponent and stuff like that. Definitely watching himself, critiquing himself, and wanting to be better at all times in whatever he does.

“I just see these little things that he does every day to make himself a better player and a better pro. I just respect every little aspect of his game.”

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I think he will be signed before camp and I hope that's the case. And hopefully there will be a trade off, where he gets a long term deal early for money up front and security, while the Rams can structure it to keep the cap numbers down a bit.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I totally agree with Brockers. Pay the guy whatever he wants. Give him a blank check. He deserves it, and it's not like he's the type who would slack off when he gets his money. Donald is a beast and will continue to be a beast for another decade, hopefully with us.