Aaron Donald noncommittal on reporting to training camp

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Memphis Ram

Legend
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...d-noncommittal-on-reporting-to-training-camp/

Posted by Michael David Smith on June 29, 2017, 4:08 PM EDT
501828802-e1498766536394.jpg
Getty Images
Rams defensive tackle Aaron Donald wants a new contract, and he won’t say whether he’ll show up to training camp if he doesn’t get what he wants.

“I’m just working, just grinding and we’ll see what happens,” Donald said on SiriusXM NFL Radio.

Donald wouldn’t say whether there are any reasons for optimism that a deal will get done.

“I’m just letting my agents handle that,” Donald said. “All I can do is keep working to keep myself in top shape.”

Donald did report to mandatory minicamp despite the absence of a new contract, so it would seem likely that he’d report to training camp as well. But he’s not going to promise that without a new deal in hand.

RamsJunkie

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!
I hope they get it done, but I have a hard time believing he will skip training camp he still has two years left on his deal and he loves football to much.

MadGoat

Mathematically alive
I hope they get it done, but I have a hard time believing he will skip training camp he still has two years left on his deal and he loves football to much.
I get skipping camp if a team isn't even negotiating, but it's obvious the Rams want to pay him. They want to pay him much more than he would earn playing out his rookie deal. At this point Donald would be holding out over whether he gets to be filthy rich now, or stupid filthy rich later.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I must say I'm surprised by him. I remember his respones before he signed the rookie contract, he said thing like "I just wanna play football and get this contract done as soon as possible (told his agent this)"..... A few years later and lots of success, is he the same kid?

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I still don't understand what there is to negotiate about...he's the best defensive player in the NFL and multiple advanced stats back that up..

His agents sit down and say "make him the highest paid defensive player in NFL history" - if the Rams don't want to do that, then trade him. I don't get what the holdup is.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I still don't understand what there is to negotiate about...he's the best defensive player in the NFL and multiple advanced stats back that up..

His agents sit down and say "make him the highest paid defensive player in NFL history" - if the Rams don't want to do that, then trade him. I don't get what the holdup is.
Well, that would only be the case if it was the last year of his contract. negotiating early should earn the team a lower yearly amount, to give him a boatload of cash (up front?) and long term stability. He should know this.

HX76

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
There a real optimism and feel good factor round the Rams at the minute what with the new coach and staff etc I really hope they can get this contract business sorted sharpish as I'd hate for this sideshow to run and run and derail all the good that's seemingly happening at the moment and what will happen going forward hopefully.

Ram65

Legend
A bit early on his contract to sit out of TC. We dont know where the Rams and AD are on the contract talks. For some reason Im not feeling all love for Donald. I think he wants to really raise the pay mark to 25 Million a year. For a TD that is a lot of money.

Last edited:

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...d-noncommittal-on-reporting-to-training-camp/

Posted by Michael David Smith on June 29, 2017, 4:08 PM EDT
501828802-e1498766536394.jpg
Getty Images
Rams defensive tackle Aaron Donald wants a new contract, and he won’t say whether he’ll show up to training camp if he doesn’t get what he wants.

“I’m just working, just grinding and we’ll see what happens,” Donald said on SiriusXM NFL Radio.

Donald wouldn’t say whether there are any reasons for optimism that a deal will get done.

“I’m just letting my agents handle that,” Donald said. “All I can do is keep working to keep myself in top shape.”

Donald did report to mandatory minicamp despite the absence of a new contract, so it would seem likely that he’d report to training camp as well. But he’s not going to promise that without a new deal in hand.
This ^ is just another " Non Story, Story to fill a blank page!!

Donald didn't say anything one way or another or even Iffy! Some report just trying to make something out of nothing! JMHO!

Edit: He's the same Old Donald, he's perfecting his game, and letting the Agent's workout the Contract issues! He'll be in camp.

Last edited:

Zodi

Hall of Fame
The fact that this team hasn't given this dudes agent a blank check yet blows my mind.

He is the single most dominant defensive player in the NFL.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Funny how the title of the article doesn't match anything AD said. Florio and his flunkies really are more negative about the Rams than any other franchise.

Rams43

Hall of Fame

Really, Frantik?

You're thinking like a checkers player while the Rams and AD's agent are playing chess.

Their are multiple layers to this contract issue for both parties.

Memphis Ram

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Quite frankly, I believe that the Rams should have torn up his contract and offered him a new deal after his second season. Some players just transcend the status quo.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Quite frankly, I believe that the Rams should have torn up his contract and offered him a new deal after his second season. Some players just transcend the status quo.

I agree with the sentiment but they couldn't change his contract until after his 3rd season. I just can believe they didn't get it worked out as soon as last season finished. Trying to make Donald look like the bad guy. Show some class rams.

TSFH Fan

Epic Music Guy
If AD signs the agreement before camp, he'll be required to show up at the start of camp. I don't remember any player saying that they liked the dorms, curfews, visitor restrictions, etc. of training camp. I mean Irvine is nice and all, but if I was a star vet, I'd let contract negotiations linger on into camp for a while.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If AD signs the agreement before camp, he'll be required to show up at the start of camp. I don't remember any player saying that they liked the dorms, curfews, visitor restrictions, etc. of training camp. I mean Irvine is nice and all, but if I was a star vet, I'd let contract negotiations linger on into camp for a while.
He'll have to show up for camp or be fined from the 1st day whether he signs a new deal or not.