Wyche: Goff to get more practice reps

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
tumblr_oe8hwijxAK1r5lqijo1_500.gif

(disclaimer: I'm only busting your chops)

http://www.espn.com/nfl/news/story?id=1885470

Co-captain Alan Faneca sounded less than thrilled when he discussed the prospect of a rookie leading the charge against the Dolphins.

"Exciting?" Faneca replied to a question with disbelief in his voice, the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette reported. "No, it's not exciting. Do you want to go work with some little young kid who's just out of college?

"Everybody's got to do a little more," the All-Pro offensive guard told the newspaper. "Everybody's got to help out, got to do a little more, do a little extra, take that extra step, put the extra work in this week and rally around him and help out.

"It's a learning process for him. He's a No. 1 pick, he's fresh out of college and that's the big thing. He's throwing in a new offense. ... He has to learn that, too, so there's a lot to soak in. It's like every play you get better, you see things, you start to realize things, how a play works, how defenses react to it. It's just a process."
Well, it doesn't necessarily have to be a rookie. But at the same time, what's wrong with what he said? Everyone works harder and puts in an extra effort. The fact that he's upset about having to perfect his game shows he's not that into in the first place, eh?

Btw, I understand you're not trying to prove me wrong. I was just responding to the article lol

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Co-captain Alan Faneca sounded less than thrilled when he discussed the prospect of a rookie leading the charge against the Dolphins.

"Exciting?" Faneca replied to a question with disbelief in his voice, the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette reported. "No, it's not exciting. Do you want to go work with some little young kid who's just out of college?

"Everybody's got to do a little more," the All-Pro offensive guard told the newspaper. "Everybody's got to help out, got to do a little more, do a little extra, take that extra step, put the extra work in this week and rally around him and help out.

"It's a learning process for him. He's a No. 1 pick, he's fresh out of college and that's the big thing. He's throwing in a new offense. ... He has to learn that, too, so there's a lot to soak in. It's like every play you get better, you see things, you start to realize things, how a play works, how defenses react to it. It's just a process."

This is such an ironic article in hindsight. Boy does Faneca look silly now.(considering the Steelers went 13-0 with Ben that year) :LOL:

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
This is such an ironic article in hindsight. Boy does Faneca look silly now.(considering the Steelers went 13-0 with Ben that year) :LOL:
I know.

That was one helluva team that Ben stepped into though. Roethlisberger didnt have a phenomenal year or anything, statistically speaking, but it didn't matter. They could run the ball and had a dominant D.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I know.

That was one helluva team that Ben stepped into though. Roethlisberger didnt have a phenomenal year or anything, statistically speaking, but it didn't matter. They could run the ball and had a dominant D.

Depends on how you define phenomenal. It was a phenomenal rookie year. He played the game manager role about as well as you can.

I know you know. But I figured I'd share in case someone else didn't realize who was being discussed. ;)

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I doubt case is working to be trade bait because I thought the priority is to win games.

Seeing 3 or 4 qbs playing their first year and doing better than Case even though all of them came out rated much lower in ability, upside, and nfl readiness, than goff, has me questioning the rams judgement in either drafting goff, or how they are developing him, especially since of the 4 teams mentioned, only Denvers defense is on the same level and you can guess where I am on their running backs compared to gurley

If they lose to the Giants the season is in serious jeopardy with the remaining schedule so they would have to play goff. The fan base dynamic is still pivotal and starting case after 3 straight losses to teams the rams should have beat, would be a hard thing for fans to watch. Every mistake would be considered another step in the wrong direction.

Except Case had an amazing game, but for one crucial pass, and has improved each game. The last two losses are on the D and their injuries. I would have traded Keenum to the Broncos and started Goff. This year is a mulligans. Let the rookie learn under fire. It was obvious from the first game that Case doesn't have the arm to make certain throws. It limits the playbook and cost some games.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Except Case had an amazing game, but for one crucial pass, and has improved each game. The last two losses are on the D and their injuries. I would have traded Keenum to the Broncos and started Goff. This year is a mulligans. Let the rookie learn under fire. It was obvious from the first game that Case doesn't have the arm to make certain throws. It limits the playbook and cost some games.

I have to disagree. The Lions loss is definitely on the defense. The Bills loss is not. It was 16-16 in the 4th. We had the ball with the ability to take the lead. It was the offense that melted down and blew it.

UKram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I really think the plan was for him to sit the whole year
makes you wonder why they didnt just striaght come out and say it if this was the case rather than the "he will play when he is ready " narrative

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
Back in the prediction thread - wherever that ended up - I predicted Goff is the starter coming off the bye week. I'm standing by that prediction.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If the plan was to have Goff sit for a whole year behind a qb only under contract for this season, then the plan was poor from the beginning.
If the Rams go in to next pre season with Mannion and Goff having no experience, that spells disaster

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
and the 4th quarter interception in the Lions game is one of those throws.

Goff wold not have made that throw either and if he had it would have been picked. The problem was not the throw it was that the defense was all over it. And if we are speculating Goff would not have had the game Keenum did and they likely would have been down by at least two scores prior to that.

JerseyRam1

Rookie
If Goff is ready, play him now. Even if the Rams sneak into the playoffs at 9-7 with Keenum, what does it mean? He's not going to be the starter next year. Heck, IDK if he'll even be on the roster. The Offense will be completely different next year with Goff, why not get started on the transition? Its the youngest team in the league and the plan has been for them to "grow up together".

LosAngelesRams

Hall of Fame

But that was Big Ben and look how that turned out. :snicker:

LosAngelesRams

Hall of Fame
While this is good news if true, it's a little mind boggling that this is just now happening 7 weeks into the season. This should have been happening before the season started, Fisher put too much stock into Case Keenum imo.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
But that was Big Ben and look how that turned out. :snicker:
I know. I was just addressing the notion that vets are excited to play with rookies. I'm sure they get over it quickly if the rook demonstrates an ability to learn fast, adapt, and play well within the system.

bluecoconuts

Legend
Goff wold not have made that throw either and if he had it would have been picked. The problem was not the throw it was that the defense was all over it. And if we are speculating Goff would not have had the game Keenum did and they likely would have been down by at least two scores prior to that.

I'm not talking about the rest of the game, I'm talking about that very specific throw, that's a throw that Goff can make that Keenum can't, and it's due to their physical differences.

Keenum's throw velocity is clocked at 55 MPH, Jared Goff was clocked in at 59 MPH at the combine, and has been clocked at 60.. Goff also has a quicker release than Keenum, by a few tenths of a second. That doesn't seem like much, but that means his football will be about 14-21 inches ahead of a given Keenum throw (obviously depending on distance)... Or right in Kendricks hands before Bush can get there. When they talk about football being a game of inches, this is a perfect example of how the physical differences between two players can change a play.

Maybe Kendricks would drop it, or GOff would have had bad plays earlier in the game or the ball is off target for whatever reason, that's not really relevant to the discussion. It's simply that Goff has a quicker release time and more ball velocity, so his balls arrive to the receiver quicker, which makes it harder for a DB, therefore on a throw like that, one can conclude that Goff gives you a higher chance at a completion than Keenum does.

Thanks to our good friend math.

Bluesy

Reppin' the Rams since 2000
Name
Kyle
I think the main thing to remember here is that Fisher is DELETED (come on man). So even if he says today that Keenum will continue to play after the bye, there's still a large chance Goff could get in there.

It wouldn't be the first time Fisher lied to everyone.

Last edited by a moderator:

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I'm not talking about the rest of the game, I'm talking about that very specific throw, that's a throw that Goff can make that Keenum can't, and it's due to their physical differences.

Keenum's throw velocity is clocked at 55 MPH, Jared Goff was clocked in at 59 MPH at the combine, and has been clocked at 60.. Goff also has a quicker release than Keenum, by a few tenths of a second. That doesn't seem like much, but that means his football will be about 14-21 inches ahead of a given Keenum throw (obviously depending on distance)... Or right in Kendricks hands before Bush can get there. When they talk about football being a game of inches, this is a perfect example of how the physical differences between two players can change a play.

Maybe Kendricks would drop it, or GOff would have had bad plays earlier in the game or the ball is off target for whatever reason, that's not really relevant to the discussion. It's simply that Goff has a quicker release time and more ball velocity, so his balls arrive to the receiver quicker, which makes it harder for a DB, therefore on a throw like that, one can conclude that Goff gives you a higher chance at a completion than Keenum does.

Thanks to our good friend math.
I hear what you are saying but as I recall there was also a defender underneath on that particular play which would mean the trajectory would have to be pretty much what Keenum threw so having a quick release or throwing a faster ball therefore flatter trajectory probably doesn't help much on that play.

All speculation, Goff didn't play Keenum did and had a great game, and any time the Rams score 28+ points that should be enough and usually would be with a fully healthy defense. Of course the Lions wish they were healthy too.

bluecoconuts

Legend
I hear what you are saying but as I recall there was also a defender underneath on that particular play which would mean the trajectory would have to be pretty much what Keenum threw so having a quick release or throwing a faster ball therefore flatter trajectory probably doesn't help much on that play.

All speculation, Goff didn't play Keenum did and had a great game, and any time the Rams score 28+ points that should be enough and usually would be with a fully healthy defense. Of course the Lions wish they were healthy too.

I dunno if the underneath defender would have made a play on it, even if the trajectory was flatter, because it's moving faster, the defender would have been a step or two closer to the QB, which likely puts it going right over his hand regardless.

Of course it's speculation though, I'm only pointing out that there are differences in the physical ability between the two QB's, and this is a good example of how physical limitations of Keenum can be avoided with Goff. Obviously had Goff played the game would have been different.

I keep my position that if we're going to lose games, I'd rather lose them due to Goff being mentally limited vs Keenum being physically limited. One of those improves with experience, the other largely does not.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I know.

98 passer rating is pretty darned good though at 17 TD in 13 games on less than 300 PA is very good

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
If Keenum has another good game, I wonder if he will become trade bait. Then Fisher surprises us and starts Goff after the bye.
So, Trade both Keenum and Mannion to Chicago for their #1 Draft pick and Jay Cutler ( So we have a Vet Back-up) And start Goff after the Bye!!