Winston compares to ... ?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
We have enough Winston threads. And I don't want to go into it any further right now. Have other things to worry about. Should have put this one on in the "Dicks! Dicks! Dicks!" thread. ;)
I don't mind talking about the guy and who he compares to (or, to whom he compares for the grammar nazis). To that end, I changed the title.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I don't mind talking about the guy and who he compares to (or, to whom he compares for the grammar nazis). To that end, I changed the title.

I still think he compares most favorably to guys like Roethlisberger and Favre.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
I still think he compares most favorably to guys like Roethlisberger and Favre.
One thing I haven't really heard about is his work ethic. We always get side tracked with his off the field matters.
Are there any reports about him putting in the time?

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
One thing I haven't really heard about is his work ethic. We always get side tracked with his off the field matters.
Are there any reports about him putting in the time?

I don't know. Haven't been any to the contrary.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
How about our boy Teddy? He's picking up his game.

I still think he'll be a good QB. Not the type of guy that will dominate as a rookie because so much of his game is based on precision, timing, and preparation. But once he gets "it", I think he'll become a good QB...Matt Ryan esque.

Memphis Ram

Legend
I can't put my finger on it, but whenever I watched Jameis Winston this year, a more mobile Byron Leftwich/Josh Freeman combination came to mind. Last year Roethlisberger came to mind a little due to his size, but now he does only when I think about the off the field stuff.

Athos

Legend
Closest is Big Ben.

He's nowhere close to Rodgers imo from a football standpoint. At all. Rodgers is the best QB in the game. As I said, Manning's intelligence, Russell Wilson's legs, maybe a bit of Big Ben's toughness, and the arm to make every throw in the game and is absolute high way robbery at that back shoulder pass.

Winston compares to Big Ben. And that's a good thing and a god awful thing. Physicality is similar, rape allegations similar.

Still wouldn't touch him at this point.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I can't put my finger on it, but whenever I watched Jameis Winston this year, a more mobile Byron Leftwich/Josh Freeman combination came to mind. Last year Roethlisberger came to mind a little due to his size, but now he does only when I think about the off the field stuff.

Disagree. His grasp of advanced concepts is so far beyond Josh Freeman and he's a far more accurate passer.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
But what about Leftwich?

Been too long for me to remember Leftwich's issues when he was a starter in Jax other than his slow windmill throwing motion.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Been too long for me to remember Leftwich's issues when he was a starter in Jax other than his slow windmill throwing motion.

Leftwich's issues were not only his throwing motion, but the fact that he was slower than a stone gargoyle (to compare, Bradford with two torn ACLs is still faster than Leftwich) and didn't really sense the rush at all. I think that he's a poor comparison to Winston as well. Roethlisberger is really the only comparison, but even he didn't have the off-the-field issues at Miami-Ohio that Winston currently has at FSU.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Leftwich's issues were not only his throwing motion, but the fact that he was slower than a stone gargoyle (to compare, Bradford with two torn ACLs is still faster than Leftwich) and didn't really sense the rush at all. I think that he's a poor comparison to Winston as well. Roethlisberger is really the only comparison, but even he didn't have the off-the-field issues at Miami-Ohio that Winston currently has at FSU.
But the comparison was a more mobile Leftwich/Freeman combination.

Gee. Maybe I am wrong. Pete Prisco seemed to agree in January.

View: https://twitter.com/PriscoCBS/status/420407603928502273

Last edited:

rams24/7

Pro Bowler
Name
Nick
I'm all in for Winston. We're a QB away from being a playoff team. I'd give up two 1st round picks and maybe throw in a 3rd.

Rabid Ram

Legend
Name
Dustin
Sure does ryan leaf was hypedvas better the Peyton manning himself coming into that draft yet bombed horriblely in the nfl which is what i believe Winston is gonns do. Add to that the mobility and big hype of tim tebow who also bombed in the nfl and poof you have jamis Winston the man the myth the hype machine

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Sure does ryan leaf was hypedvas better the Peyton manning himself coming into that draft yet bombed horriblely in the nfl which is what i believe Winston is gonns do. Add to that the mobility and big hype of tim tebow who also bombed in the nfl and poof you have jamis Winston the man the myth the hype machine

Okay but Tim Tebow was a guy with all the mental toughness, character, work ethic, etc. to succeed who lacked the arm talent. Ryan Leaf is a guy who had all the arm talent in the world to succeed but lacked the mental toughness, character, work ethic, etc.

They're polar opposites. If you believe Winston is such a mess mentally that he'll fail, that's understandable and Leaf is a fine comparison. But if Tebow had Winston's arm talent and throwing ability, the guy would still be in the NFL starting somewhere.

Jameis Winston is no myth. My concern with him is character related. But what he does on the field is no myth.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Okay @jrry32 I'll bite...Reminds me..I like the big ben....but better athlete...but
Winston does have better physical tools than Luck.
oh no you didn't...As a Pac-12 guy, I watched that monster battle with SC & Oregon too much to take nothing from him. He is almost as athletic as Cam...I only thought his arm wasn't that strong, seems he was just trying to put touch on it...Most 6'4 men can throw the rock...I'd say Jameis is below these two freak athletes...not by much...Probably needs to mature a bit, and get in the weight room seriously...
Overall, I'd take Winston in a heartbeat.....and twice on Sunday.....(y):sneaky::cool:;)

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Okay @jrry32 I'll bite...Reminds me..I like the big ben....but better athlete...but
oh no you didn't...As a Pac-12 guy, I watched that monster battle with SC & Oregon too much to take nothing from him. He is almost as athletic as Cam...I only thought his arm wasn't that strong, seems he was just trying to put touch on it...Most 6'4 men can throw the rock...I'd say Jameis is below these two freak athletes...not by much...Probably needs to mature a bit, and get in the weight room seriously...
Overall, I'd take Winston in a heartbeat.....and twice on Sunday.....(y):sneaky::cool:;)

That's why Winston has more physical talent. Winston has a cannon. Throws a 92-94 mph fastball that touches 96 mph. One of the few guys that can rival Kaepernick in raw arm talent.