Winston compares to ... ?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rodgers is incredible. Him and Manning are fun to watch just because of how great they are.

It's why I wish we could find a way to get Winston. I don't want to get into the inevitable fight here about his character but there are few QBs that have it physically and have it upstairs. Even Luck isn't perfect in that regard(doesn't have the same sort of arm strength as Rodgers).

Winston is one of the few that might. We'll see. But physically, he has it all and the guy already shows a high level understanding of certain NFL concepts.

I used to think Bradford could get there as well but it seems like that won't end up happening. Aside from mobility, he had all the boxes checked.

Anyways, I apologize for bringing Winston up. Don't want to turn this thread into something it's not. Rodgers is amazing. I want an elite QB on the Rams...but there are only so many of those guys, unfortunately.

moklerman

Warner-phile
Rodgers is incredible. Him and Manning are fun to watch just because of how great they are.

It's why I wish we could find a way to get Winston. I don't want to get into the inevitable fight here about his character but there are few QBs that have it physically and have it upstairs. Even Luck isn't perfect in that regard(doesn't have the same sort of arm strength as Rodgers).

Winston is one of the few that might. We'll see. But physically, he has it all and the guy already shows a high level understanding of certain NFL concepts.

I used to think Bradford could get there as well but it seems like that won't end up happening. Aside from mobility, he had all the boxes checked.

Anyways, I apologize for bringing Winston up. Don't want to turn this thread into something it's not. Rodgers is amazing. I want an elite QB on the Rams...but there are only so many of those guys, unfortunately.
C'mon now, now you're putting Winston into the Rodgers/Manning conversation!?! Lay off the Kool-Aid with this guy a little bit.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
C'mon now, now you're putting Winston into the Rodgers/Manning conversation!?! Lay off the Kool-Aid with this guy a little bit.

Nope. Just one of the few guys with the sort of skill-set that Rodgers has. Impossible to project if someone will be that good.

moklerman

Warner-phile
Nope. Just one of the few guys with the sort of skill-set that Rodgers has. Impossible to project if someone will be that good.
It may be impossible to project or predict how good a QB will be but it's a biiiiiiiiiig stretch to be mentioning him in the same breath as Rodgers and Peyton.

It's like every time you talk about you bump him up a notch. It wasn't that long ago that you were saying that he might be a Roethlisberger type and now you've bumped him up to Rodgers/Manning. By all means, back the guy and stand by your opinion but you're going overboard with the comparisons.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It may be impossible to project or predict how good a QB will be but it's a biiiiiiiiiig stretch to be mentioning him in the same breath as Rodgers and Peyton.

It's like every time you talk about you bump him up a notch. It wasn't that long ago that you were saying that he might be a Roethlisberger type and now you've bumped him up to Rodgers/Manning. By all means, back the guy and stand by your opinion but you're going overboard with the comparisons.

Spare me the crap. I said Winston is one of the very few guys like Rodgers who checks all the boxes physically and might have the ability mentally to be truly elite. That's no different than anything I've ever said.

Stop trying to pick a fight over something trivial.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude

Do me a favor and refrain from personalizing posts. I don't care of Jrry thinks Winston is the reincarnation of Johnny U. His opinion is his opinion. All you gotta do is disagree and say *why* you don't think his opinion holds water. Not why you perceive his opinion to be inconsistent or laughable. Just a friendly request. And for the record, even Snead compares college athletes to NFL All-Pros. It's what he calls the "eye test" (e.g., "this guy reminds me of Junior Seau"). I don't see why it's incomprehensible for others to do the same. It's all good.

moklerman

Warner-phile
Do me a favor and refrain from personalizing posts. I don't care of Jrry thinks Winston is the reincarnation of Johnny U. His opinion is his opinion. All you gotta do is disagree and say *why* you don't think his opinion holds water. Not why you perceive his opinion to be inconsistent or laughable. Just a friendly request. And for the record, even Snead compares college athletes to NFL All-Pros. It's what he calls the "eye test" (e.g., "this guy reminds me of Junior Seau"). I don't see why it's incomprehensible for others to do the same. It's all good.
Well, I never said his opinion was inconsistent or laughable. His opinion of Winston continues to grow though. I don't consider it a personal attack to suggest that he take a deep breath on the subject.

Saying Winston has more tools than Luck and could be the next Manning or Rodgers is hyperbole of the highest level. It has nothing to do with Jrry personally. I didn't even ask him to stop bringing up Winston, just to throttle it back a little. It's up to him if he wants to oversell a guy who took a major step back this year with character issues.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Well, I never said his opinion was inconsistent or laughable. His opinion of Winston continues to grow though. I don't consider it a personal attack to suggest that he take a deep breath on the subject.

Saying Winston has more tools than Luck and could be the next Manning or Rodgers is hyperbole of the highest level. It has nothing to do with Jrry personally. I didn't even ask him to stop bringing up Winston, just to throttle it back a little. It's up to him if he wants to oversell a guy who took a major step back this year with character issues.

Winston does have better physical tools than Luck. But as we all know, mental tools and work ethic are what separates the best from the rest. Which is why, despite having more physical talent that Luck, Kaepernick is still not the better QB.

My opinion hasn't grown. You don't even know my opinion so I recommend you take a deep breath and worry about yourself.

moklerman

Warner-phile
Spare me the crap. I said Winston is one of the very few guys like Rodgers who checks all the boxes physically and might have the ability mentally to be truly elite. That's no different than anything I've ever said.

Stop trying to pick a fight over something trivial.
I had no problem with you comparing Winston to Roethlisberger as it seems apt. Putting him in a discussion about Rodgers and Manning is ludicrous. And it wasn't an accident. More tools than Luck and physically and mentally comparable to Rodgers and Manning?

"Spare me the crap."

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I had no problem with you comparing Winston to Roethlisberger as it seems apt. Putting him in a discussion about Rodgers and Manning is ludicrous. And it wasn't an accident. More tools than Luck and physically and mentally comparable to Rodgers and Manning?

"Spare me the crap."

Yea, that's not what I said. Read the post again and stop making things up.

BTW, Ben Roethlisberger is another guy that checks all the boxes. He's just not as elite as Rodgers is.

moklerman

Warner-phile
Winston does have better physical tools than Luck. But as we all know, mental tools and work ethic are what separates the best from the rest. Which is why, despite having more physical talent that Luck, Kaepernick is still not the better QB.

My opinion hasn't grown. You don't even know my opinion so I recommend you take a deep breath and worry about yourself.
Well, at this point it'd be pretty tough for you opinion of him to grow much more, wouldn't it? You seem like you're getting awfully defensive, sensitive and attached to this guy or your opinion of him. Like I said, if you want to put him in the same conversation with Manning, Rodgers and Luck, please carry on.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Well, at this point it'd be pretty tough for you opinion of him to grow much more, wouldn't it? You seem like you're getting awfully defensive, sensitive and attached to this guy or your opinion of him. Like I said, if you want to put him in the same conversation with Manning, Rodgers and Luck, please carry on.

Nope. I just can't stand it when people take what you say out of context, spin it, and try to use it to say something entirely different. It's called a hatchet job.

You'll find I get pretty irritated when it's done to my post on any subject. I am pretty explicit in what I say and mean. Don't like it when people try to attach other meanings to it. Sometimes, it's my fault for poorly wording it and when it is, I admit it. But this does not seem like it's one of those cases.

My opinion of Winston as a player has always been very high. Was even higher going into the year. I think he's worth the #1 overall pick if we're analyzing on the field play and skill-set.

moklerman

Warner-phile
Yea, that's not what I said. Read the post again and stop making things up.

BTW, Ben Roethlisberger is another guy that checks all the boxes. He's just not as elite as Rodgers is.

It's why I wish we could find a way to get Winston.
I don't want to get into the inevitable fight here about his character but there are few QBs that have it physically and have it upstairs. Even Luck isn't perfect in that regard(doesn't have the same sort of arm strength as Rodgers).

Winston is one of the few that might.
Sounds a lot like you're saying you want Winston because he could be great like Manning and Rodgers.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Sounds a lot like you're saying you want Winston because he could be great like Manning and Rodgers.

Sounds like you still aren't reading. I am saying that I want Winston because he has the POTENTIAL to be great like Rodgers. However, the comparison with Manning was to RODGERS not Winston. Never mentioned Winston and Manning in the same thought. And then the comparison to Luck was to RODGERS not Winston.(again, Rodgers is mentioned in the sentence with Luck...not Winston) Luck doesn't have the elite physical gifts like Rodgers does. He's still great, no doubt about it. But those type of gifts in one skill-set are rare.

I did compare Winston's POTENTIAL to that of what Rodgers is because as I said before, it is rare for a QB to have every physical attribute like Winston does and show the potential in mental attributes like he has. But there's no guarantee. Winston still needs development. How great Winston will be is on him. But he has no limitations whatsoever in his physical skill-set.

What you're claiming was said is not there.

But if you do want to compare Luck and Winston, Winston has more PHYSICAL talent. Then again, that doesn't make him a better player. Cutler, Stafford, and Kaepernick all are more physically talented than Luck and Manning.

So yes, I want the Rams to draft Winston because he has a rare physical skill-set and unlike some of the recent QBs who have come out with top tier physical skill-sets (Cutler, Stafford, Kaepernick, Russell, etc.), I think he has shown a better grasp of advanced NFL concepts and more consistency as a thrower. Which is why I want him on this team developing behind Bradford next year.

And with that, I'm done with this pissing contest.

moklerman

Warner-phile
Nope. I just can't stand it when people take what you say out of context, spin it, and try to use it to say something entirely different. It's called a hatchet job.
How is it out of context? You, I assume, purposely chose Luck, Rodgers and Manning to illustrate your opinion of Winston. Luck is the gold standard in terms of draft prospects and Rodgers and Manning are in the conversation as greatest QB's of ALL TIME! And you're putting Winston right there with them. Whether it's physical skills, mental acuity, arm strength or whatever, you're over-selling Winston by a mile! He hasn't earned the right to be lumped in with those guys and it's no accident that you're picking the best of the best to use as comparisons.

Is it just a coincidence that you chose not to say that Winston has an even stronger arm than Vinny Testaverde(or Derek Anderson or whoever)? No, you wanted to attach Winston to Rodgers in that sense.

moklerman

Warner-phile
And with that, I'm done with this pissing contest.
Okay, so I'll suggest once again that you consider toning it down just a little bit. You have suggested the Rams give up multiple first and second round picks to get him and are comparing him to the likes of the greatest names at the position. You're just going overboard with him IMO.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
See how stupid it looks now?

FRO

Legend

I see Winston as Big Ben 2.0. Question is, is that elite? Very good, but maybe not elite.

Disclaimer, I think Andrew Luck is a very good QB. He has little around him and has done well. That being said I think he is a bit overrated. I think he can get to the Rodgers/Manning/Brady level, but he has work to do.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
See how stupid it looks now?

We have enough Winston threads. And I don't want to go into it any further right now. Have other things to worry about. Should have put this one on in the "Dicks! Dicks! Dicks!" thread. ;)

FRO

Legend
Also what seperates Winston from being a Rodgers type is taking care of the football. Rodgers is on a different planet when it comes to the interceptions.

Winston has all the tools in the toolbox. He needs to improve the decision making though. He is either overconfident in his ability to fit stuff, or he doesn't read stuff as well as he should.

The off the field stuff has to factor in however. The guy needs to make better decisions off the field and has been a repeat offender of stupid stuff of the field. That's what concerns me most. I still pick him if he falls to us, but I'm not trading up for him.

If I'm picking top 5 and need a QB, I pick him over Mariota. He can beat teams from the pocket. That's where the NFL game is won.