Why the Eagles need to sign Sam Bradford/Signs two-year contract

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I find Bradford's future contract very interesting. Could be very incentive based on games played and performance. Seem Conden's 25 Million is way off. Even the 20 Million here seems overly optimistic. Really what difference would 3 -5 Million make at this point.

Yeah, I think the fact that Sam didn't tear it up in Kelly's system is going to make other teams reevaluate their take on him. Before last season I think teams were like a lot of fans, where they suspected the Rams held Sam back. But now? They know he's not an elite QB and might not ever become one. I think his number is going to come in around $17 million per year.

Rynie

Cowboys rudeboy.
Name
Rynie
Was that intentional?

That is what I said after Sam's first knee injury. So, exactly why do you figure that the Cowboys win the division? I don't see it. Right now the Redskins are a better team, with Cousins. Cowboys defense is not good. Their QB is perpetually injured, the backups have not gotten it done and they need a good runningback. Looks like a last place team to me.
Wow, so the redskins are better because they won a shitty division? Ok. They scored 1 TD on us when we played them in washington. Our defense is shitty, but we'll be addressing that in the draft and free agency. Cowboys will win the division.

Ram65

Legend
Yeah, I think the fact that Sam didn't tear it up in Kelly's system is going to make other teams reevaluate their take on him. Before last season I think teams were like a lot of fans, where they suspected the Rams held Sam back. But now? They know he's not an elite QB and might not ever become one. I think his number is going to come in around $17 million per year.

I don't think Kelly's system is ideal for Sam. He was not allowed to run as an option. Even Foles ran and was effective even if for 4-5 yards at at a time. Defenses had to respect that. They didn't with Sam. I think Sam has some kinda jinx as the same offensive flaws the Rams had followed him to Phila. Horrible offensive line play and dropped passes. He still had his problems too. Sam looked better moving around in the second half of the season. He is not elite and 17 Million could be the number. LOL wasn't that what he was getting last year.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't think Kelly's system is ideal for Sam. He was not allowed to run as an option. Even Foles ran and was effective even if for 4-5 yards at at a time. Defenses had to respect that. They didn't with Sam. I think Sam has some kinda jinx as the same offensive flaws the Rams had followed him to Phila. Horrible offensive line play and dropped passes. He still had his problems too. Sam looked better moving around in the second half of the season. He is not elite and 17 Million could be the number. LOL wasn't that what he was getting last year.

no, he got $13m last season. not sure why everyone is saying he should have hit the ground running this season. almost 2 years without playing, new team, new players, new system that relies on the threat of the qb running which sam couldn't do right away. he was always gonna have teething problems. he picked it up in the 2nd half of the season but still looked less than stellar in the last 2 losses/beat downs the eagles were handed at the end of the season.

he may be eyeing houston. waiting to see if they're interested in him and for how much. a good fit. will be interesting to see what happens in the FA market if the eagles don't sign him.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...s-sam-bradford-can-lead-eagles-to-super-bowl/

Malcolm Jenkins: Sam Bradford can lead Eagles to Super Bowl
Posted by Darin Gantt on February 17, 2016

cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjotqwyyznpwvlyzdkmwq5y2nkzdrjzwvlywezzjnmm2y3ywy0nzq3.jpeg
AP

The Eagles don’t appear to be interested in using the franchise tag on quarterback Sam Bradford, but one of his teammates is a big believer in his ability to lead the team in a post-Chip Kelly world.

Via Reuben Frank of CSNPhilly.com, Eagles safety Malcolm Jenkins was unequivocal in his praise of Bradford, saying he could lead them to a Super Bowl.

“If you protect Sam and give him weapons to use,” Jenkins said, “I think he can be one of those quarterbacks to win a championship.

That wasn’t always apparent last year, though Bradford did look more and more competent as the year went on. Staying healthy was a plus as well, after what he went through the two previous years in St. Louis. Perhaps getting more stable on his twice-repaired ACL was the difference, but Jenkins said Bradford was also more comfortable in the locker room, which helped.

“Early, especially in the first half of the season, I don’t know how comfortable he was in the locker room or being in the role of the leader on the team when he had just gotten here, Jenkins said. “He’s got new guys. Then he got hurt, and when he came back, he decided to take the team by the horns basically.

He really started to be a lot more vocal, he started to break down the huddles, he started to speak to the team before every game. When he did that, he gained the trust of the teammates and he started playing better. The back half of the season, he played really well for us.

“So, from a player’s perspective, we definitely got behind Sam in that back stretch and really would like to see him back moving forward. We think he can be the leader and the quarterback that we need.”

There was a bright-line difference between the first seven weeks of Bradford (62 percent completions, 76.4 passer rating) and the rest of the season (68 percent, 97.0).

And that kind of play the back half of the season will also make him valuable to others as he’s about to hit the market, though not valuable enough for the Eagles to invest $20 million for a single year, or to allow him to think that’s where the negotiation starts.

Ram65

Legend
no, he got $13m last season. not sure why everyone is saying he should have hit the ground running this season. almost 2 years without playing, new team, new players, new system that relies on the threat of the qb running which sam couldn't do right away. he was always gonna have teething problems. he picked it up in the 2nd half of the season but still looked less than stellar in the last 2 losses/beat downs the eagles were handed at the end of the season.

he may be eyeing houston. waiting to see if they're interested in him and for how much. a good fit. will be interesting to see what happens in the FA market if the eagles don't sign him.

I should have looked up his salary 17+ Mil was the 2014 cap hit.

“So, from a player’s perspective, we definitely got behind Sam in that back stretch and really would like to see him back moving forward. We think he can be the leader and the quarterback that we need.”

There was a bright-line difference between the first seven weeks of Bradford (62 percent completions, 76.4 passer rating) and the rest of the season (68 percent, 97.0).

The Eagles team looked very bad in those two loses. Yes, Houston needs a QB. If Manning retires the Broncos could use his money to sign Bradford. I guess there will be a market for an QB like Sam. The money the QBs get even the second tier guys after the top 10 is a lot. A total of 18 QB had an average yearly contract of 16 Million or more per year.

http://overthecap.com/position/quarterback/

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If the dessicated shell of Peyton Manning could win a Super Bowl, of course Sam could, assuming he manages to stay healthy.

Ken

Starter
Name
Ken Morris
I guess there goes any shot of trading Foles back to Philly :(

StealYoGurley

Pro Bowler
Takes a QB needy team off the market in the first round works for us. Many draftnicks had Lynch going there at 13 I dont think that happens now.

RamBill

Legend
Alex Marvez ‏@alexmarvez
Combined w/$78M rookie contract, Bradford will have made $114M through 9 seasons after new 2-yr @Eagles deal.25-37-1 as starter. No playoffs

Frank Schwab ‏@YahooSchwab
Bradford getting $36 million more proves this simple fact: NFL teams have a crippling fear of the unknown at QB. Causes terrible decisions.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Takes a QB needy team off the market in the first round works for us. Many draftnicks had Lynch going there at 13 I dont think that happens now.
Not necessarily. Signing Bradford for two years doesn't preclude them from picking up another guy early in the draft.
Some would call that prudent.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
13MIL a year is about right, that's what average QB's get these days. With incentives he can get a bit more.

Assuming those incentives aren't tied to throwing TD's and YPA he could make more $. My guess is that they are tied to wins though.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Not necessarily. Signing Bradford for two years doesn't preclude them from picking up another guy early in the draft.
Some would call that prudent.

Yeah I didn't expect the Eagles to get him done on a short term deal. Figured he'd try the market and someone would give him a longer term and more security. He must really like Pederson, or his agent did not expect much on the open market.

Sam on a quickie 2 year deal is a good move for the Eagles. They have a solid bridge QB now for whoever they draft.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Yessssss...

28vvb76.jpg

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/03/01/eagles-sam-bradford-agree-to-two-year-contract/

Eagles, Sam Bradford agree to two-year contract
Posted by Michael David Smith on March 1, 2016

Sam Bradford will remain the quarterback of the Philadelphia Eagles.

The Eagles announced this afternoon that they have agreed to a two-year deal with Bradford. The agreement came just minutes after they officially declined to restrict him with the franchise tag. No financial terms of the deal have been announced, but Adam Schefter of ESPN reported that the deal is for $36 million and includes $26 million guaranteed.

Bradford arrived in Philadelphia in a trade that sent Nick Foles to St. Louis a year ago. Bradford had an up-and-down first year in Philadelphia, and when Chip Kelly, the coach who acquired Bradford, was fired, there were questions about whether the Eagles would go shopping for a new quarterback.

But Eagles G.M. Howie Roseman and coach Doug Pederson have insisted that they want to keep Bradford, and now they have. He’ll stay in Philadelphia.