Where will Tony Romo play in 2017?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Here's a QB who will be 37 in April and has a history of injuries, but some team will sign him anyway.
I'm guessing it will be some team that thinks it's on the verge of a championship and will try to get one more magic year out of him.
******************************************************************************************
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...-interested-in-tony-romo-if-hes-a-free-agent/

Broncos may be interested in Tony Romo, if he’s a free agent
Posted by Mike Florio on January 29, 2017

630777784-e1485697719958.jpg
Getty Images

It’s believed Tony Romo will ask the Cowboys to release him in lieu of trying to trade him. Romo has another reason to push for the termination of his contract.

The Denver Broncos, previously believed to be not interested in Romo, reportedly could be interested if Romo can be obtained free and clear on the open market. Mike Klis of 9news.com reports that “a source in the Broncos’ football department did not dismiss the possibility” of signing Romo, if a trade isn’t needed.

Although the Cowboys may prefer to get value for Romo, cutting him would actually have a benefit, since the salary cap hit could be divided over two years. The team nevertheless has been very coy about its plans for the franchise quarterback who has been supplanted by Dak Prescott, prompting speculation that the Cowboys prefer to finagle a trade.

Romo’s interest in the Broncos would depend on the role the team envisions for him. Would he be installed as the starter? Would he have to compete with Paxton Lynch and Trevor Siemian?

The financial package the Broncos offer to Romo would say plenty about how they plan to use him. Even then, it’s possible that some other team would offer Romo much more than Denver would.

None of it matters unless and until the Cowboys release Romo’s rights. The question of whether they will soon will become one of the biggest issues in the NFL.
---------------

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4Zgbifye0A

http://sportsday.dallasnews.com/dal...ll-cowboys-tony-romo-experts-try-predict-fate

What will the Cowboys do with Tony Romo? Our experts predict his fate
By SportsDayDFW.com

1485537333-RomoTeams.gif

Staff Illustration/The Dallas Morning News

What does the future hold for quarterback Tony Romo? It's the story of the Cowboys' offseason. Will the franchise's all-time passing leader suit up for another team? Will he be released by the Cowboys or traded? What about a backup role in Dallas or retirement? SportsDay's columnists and Cowboys beat writers offer their predictions:

Tim Cowlishaw

Romo's future: Release, June 1 designation

It's fun to consider all the trade possibilities for Romo. To Denver for DeMarcus Ware? To Houston for Brock Osweiler and a No. 1 pick? Yes, it's fun, but none of it makes sense.

There are teams that will want Romo, but it's unlikely that he will leave Dallas in a trade. The cap ramifications make it easier for the Cowboys to designate him a June 1 cut and spread the salary-cap hit over the 2017 and 2018 seasons. It's unrealistic to think this ends any other way.

Then again, these are the Cowboys, and with Jerry Jones, it's wise to consider the "unrealistic" from time to time. Jones wants to keep Romo. He wants to convince Romo that he has a future here in the organization and that he should stay, presumably as the most expensive insurance policy in the league. Not having to worry about what happens when the backup quarterback enters the game would be a decided plus.

But that would be the only plus. This scenario would be bad for Dak Prescott, terrible for Romo and unfair to the coaching staff. The circus would never leave town if Romo stayed around.

Releasing him will allow Romo to pursue his final year or years with the team of his choice. It's fair to him and best for the Cowboys.

Brandon George

As much as Cowboys owner Jerry Jones would like to keep Romo around, it just doesn't make fiscal sense. Romo will count almost $25 million against the salary cap in 2017. Last season, he played six snaps and counted $20.8 million against the cap.

NFL teams can't afford to keep a backup quarterback -- and that's what Romo is now, behind Dak Prescott -- on their roster for a big price tag if they're serious about contending.

Working a trade for Romo will be difficult. He's going to have to sign off on the team that wants to trade for him, the sides would have to agree on compensation and Romo would likely have to rework his contract at a much lower price. Having all that come together is unlikely, so an outright release makes the most sense here.

Look for Romo to land on a team that can immediately contend for a championship, has a strong offensive line and isn't afraid to take a chance on a soon-to-be 37-year-old with a history of back injuries.

Denver makes as much sense as any team. The Broncos have a team in place that can immediately make a run at a championship. In John Elway, they also have a general manager who certainly knows a quarterback can win titles late in his career. Romo turns 37 in April. Elway won his first Super Bowl at 37 and won another at 38.

Rick Gosselin

When you trade for a player, you trade for his contract. And with Romo on the books for almost $25 million next season, the Cowboys would have problems dealing him. It's more likely the Cowboys will release him this offseason and let him cut his own deal with the team of his choice.

Whether the Cowboys trade or release him, they will take a sizable salary-cap hit. If the Cowboys designate him as a June 1 cap casualty, they can split that hit over two seasons. And that's what I think the Cowboys will do -- designate him as a June 1 release.

Romo has maybe a two-year window left ... if he can stay healthy. So don't look for him to sign with teams that are in rebuilding mode. That knocks the Bears, Bills, Jaguars and Jets out of the running. He needs to sign on with a team that is Super Bowl-ready, as Peyton Manning did. He picked his spot and wound up taking the Broncos to the Super Bowl. Joe Montana also picked his spot when he left the 49ers and wound up taking the Kansas City Chiefs to an AFC title game.

So only two teams seem logical fits for Romo, the Broncos and Texans. Both are Super Bowl contenders in need of upgrades at the quarterback position. My guess is Romo has Houston atop his shopping list. The Texans have the best defense in the NFL, and that defense will become even better in 2017 with the return of J.J. Watt. They have a 1,000-yard rusher in the backfield (Lamar Miller) and two talented young wide receivers (DeAndre Hopkins and Will Fuller). So Houston it is.

Jon Machota

Tony Romo's future: Trade

The Cowboys will play this close to the vest until a deal is done. Jerry Jones has compared Romo to Aaron Rodgers, Ben Roethlisberger and Eli Manning within the last few months. The owner and general manager won't just give away his former franchise quarterback. He realizes how few teams have a quality starter, so he'd like to drive up the price.

In the statement Romo read in November he didn't sound like a player looking to retire or settle for a backup job. He'll eventually be traded to an AFC team that believes it's a good QB away from making a Super Bowl run. In return, the Cowboys will receive a third- or fourth-round draft pick.

David Moore

The club's preference is to swing a trade that meets with the quarterback's approval. But compensation would be tricky, and finding mutual ground for the Cowboys, Romo and a third party would be complex.

Owner Jerry Jones and Romo have a relationship that transcends owner and quarterback. That's clear. It's one that will continue once Romo's career is done.

Neither side will risk harming that bond. In the end, an outright release is cleaner and less complicated, making it the most likely option.

It will cost the franchise $19.6 million to sever ties with Romo whether he is traded or cut.

Romo has a salary-cap hit of $24.7 million for the 2017 season. If he's released before June 1, the Cowboys actually free up $5.1 million in room they wouldn't have otherwise.

If the club designates Romo as a June 1 cut, it can split the $19.6 million over two seasons. He would consume $10.7 million of the '17 salary cap and $8.9 million of the team's payroll the next season.

Do the Cowboys want to free up $14 million or $5.1 million this season with a release of Romo? As tempting as it will be to take the entire hit now and be out from under the contract in 2018, splitting the hit over the next two seasons is more of the team's style.

Look for Romo to be designated a June 1 cut. And look for Houston to be a major contender for his services, with Denver right behind.

Kate Hairopoulos

Romo's future: Release

This split isn't easy on anyone. As is often the case in arduous situations, it's best to just get it over with all at once. By releasing Romo, the Cowboys will actually save $5.1 million that they will have available for free agency, money that won't be available to them if they designate Romo a June 1 cut. Yes, they'll have to take the $19.6 million hit to the salary cap this season, but financial gymnastics will make it work.

Best of all, they can move into 2018 free and clear of Romo's contract. Romo will also get to choose where he goes for his last hurrah. Contenders such as Denver and Houston seem to be the most obvious situations where the potential rewards of Romo outweigh the clear concerns about his durability.

There. Done. Everyone's happy-ish.

Kevin Sherrington

Tony Romo signs with the Broncos and leads them to the AFC Championship Game, where they lose to the Ravens. Romo subsequently retires and goes into TV. First order of business in new job: Lose the smirk.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
No drama here, Romo gets released and is quickly scooped up by the Denver Broncos...Romo looks forward to going up against Tom Brady in next year's AFC Championship game and if it's in Denver, Brady has proven he's not a fan of the high altitude (in more ways than one) and if Romo proves once again to be injury prone the Broncos will just move on to Paxton Lynch as they trade Trevor Siemian to the Chicago Bears for a conditional draft choice.

Ram65

Legend
http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/dallas-cowboys/tony-romo-2447/#

Denver makes sense as Romo's new home after he is a June 1 cut. They need a QB now as the Super Bowl window is still open with a solid roster. His age and injury history make it a little risky. When your this close you have to go for it. Romo looked good in is very pref appearance in the last week of the season.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yeah he costs a lot, but Dak costs so little. I'd be hesitant to let him go as 2015 showed you what having the best o-line in football was worth when you have no QB

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
I actually think Siemian could beat Romo out for his place on the Broncos. Am I crazy to think a developing young QB talent that is very familiar with the offense could send an aging Romo who spent a year off the field back to the bench?

FRO

Legend
If I'm him I go to Houston. Loaded team in an easy division. Denver is a good spot too, but the division is absolutely loaded.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I'm sure he gets released, But Denver says they have no interest in him, so I don't know where he could end up!:dizzy:
KC could be his best fit!(y)

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
If I'm him I go to Houston. Loaded team in an easy division. Denver is a good spot too, but the division is absolutely loaded.

I'm leaning Houston too.

SierraRam

Recreational User
Will he go somewhere to win or follow the money?

The Jets, Browns and 49ers might spend big for a legit starter.

FRO

Legend
Will he go somewhere to win or follow the money?

The Jets, Browns and 49ers might spend big for a legit starter.
Good question and Romo is a great fit in the Shanahan offense. That being said he should have loads of money in the bank and may want to just go for it all. On the other hand he only has a two year window to really earn huge money. I couldn't fault him for taking the money.

SierraRam

Recreational User
Good question and Romo is a great fit in the Shanahan offense. That being said he should have loads of money in the bank and may want to just go for it all. On the other hand he only has a two year window to really earn huge money. I couldn't fault him for taking the money.

Like almost everyone else, I thought 'Houston' right away. But I know the Niners and their fans are done with the 'Kaep' show. Romo has a fan in Shanahan, and he's a good fit as you pointed out. The Browns are close to the Ohio Valley Conference he dominated in college. Romo would give them a chance to draft other needs. And along with the Jets, all 3 teams have the money to spend. Besides, is being the starter in Denver guaranteed? He's 36 and has a family. With his career in its twilight, I agree with you and wouldn't blame him one bit for thinking 'payday.'

Pape

UDFA
do you all think Andy Reid might jettison Alex Smith in order to bring in Romo to KC? Alex Smith is a decent qb, but lets face it, he isn't going to bring you the Lombardi.

Romo with that defense, combined with the Chiefs strong running game, might be an interesting landing spot.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
I actually think Siemian could beat Romo out for his place on the Broncos. Am I crazy to think a developing young QB talent that is very familiar with the offense could send an aging Romo who spent a year off the field back to the bench?

No... you're an Olympia HS Homer though. :snicker:

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
If the cowgirls let him go... and I wouldn't be surprised if Jerry tries to keep him somehow... I bet Denver snaps him up and attempts to do what they did with Manning.