What Redskins Fans Are Saying

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Daved202

UDFA
What surprises me with Snyder is that he hasn't gone back to the well for a top college coach. That type of move isn't always going to work, but if I were an owner looking to end a streak as ridiculous as his hiring history I would hire a guy like Dantonio from Michigan State by giving him a big contract with guaranteed money over 3 seasons so he wouldn't have to worry about premature firing. Dantonio ensures a good defense and a NFC West type team that is tough come playoff time, he is an outstanding head coach whose eventual destination is the NFL in my opinion.

There are other good options too though. Malzhan for example is a bright offensive mind that will give you a power running game and high upside. Sumlin I have always respected, another guy who gives you the great offensive mind that teams have a hard time finding. Both those guys would do very well if paired with a vet DC who has NFL experience.

Anyway, I do feel for the Skins fans because of Snyder. Dude's a d!ckhead and it's gonna be hard for him to build a power franchise when every coach in the NFL fraternity doesn't trust him. His best bet is to do like the Eagles and find his guy in the collegiate ranks.

After Spurrier we didnt go that route any more. We did bring in Pete Carrol one time to interview a long while back .

CodeMonkey

Possibly the OH but cannot self-identify
Welcome aboard @Daved202! It's always good to have members who are fans of other teams on here. We have a few hangarounds from your rivals on here as well so please feel free to stick your nose in here from time to time after this week and shoot the crap with us...and them.

Daved202

UDFA
Skins vs rams will be a great game. But skins will pull trough !

Kirk cousins is gonna prove to everyone he is a starter.

Rynie

Cowboys rudeboy.
Name
Rynie

20150917_113439.png

JUMAVA68

Starter
Name
Manuel

It's cool that you believe in your team and you should as a fan.But there will be times when you just have to realize that they are up a creek without a paddle.And this is definitely one of those times.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Well, by definition he is a starter.

However, he is a bad starter.

Miracles happen, but I expect a handy Rams' win. At which point the Rams will be two games in front of the Seahawks, AND have the tiebreaker.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
and Suh did nothing.
Yes he did. I believe he kicked the helmet off one of your guys.

Good going on the avatar. Classic and simple. Now about taking @-X- on the bet YOU put out there...
upload_2015-9-17_11-18-44.png

You should go under your profile to personal details and put "Cowboys fan" under custom title. That way the rest of the NFC east knows it's a rival talking smack.
Good idea. Hey @Rynie - you wanna take care of that?

Daved202

UDFA
It's cool that you believe in your team and you should as a fan.But there will be times when you just have to realize that they are up a creek without a paddle.And this is definitely one of those times.
Wouldn't be surprised.

Daved202

UDFA
I just think foles cracks under pressure. Skins done well against him except for last year in Philly .

Daved202

UDFA
I cant wait for the GM u guys will get hit hard. I cant wait for rams fans to drop it likes it hot and start getting nervous.

Skins D gonna hit hard and idc what we do . Dashon Goldson is playing back to his probowl form.

Skins run attack 3-4 Defense and we run almost a replica of the 49ers D.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Wow, and I thought Rams fans had it bad? :eek:
http://deadspin.com/nobody-hates-th...ource=deadspin_facebook&utm_medium=socialflow

Nobody Hates The Skins More Than Skins Fans

Chris Thompson

1431940918413311122.jpg

Washingtonians are going to take a lot of crap for this all season long, but the truth is, it’s been this way for a few years now, at least. Here’s a Washington Post article from 2008, lamenting how thoroughly Pittsburgh Steelers fans claimed FedEx Field for a nationally televised contest. It got so bad that night that Washington, in their home stadium, had to resort to using a silent snap count due to crowd noise. That is comprehensive ownage. That’s as much ownage as a fan group can dispense without running out on the field and giving the home team’s players atomic wedgies.

By now, everyone already knows Dan Snyder has had to remove whole sections of seats from the upper levels of FedEx Field to avoid television blackouts. This despite Washington maintaining to this day that in order to purchase season tickets you must join the mythical 200,000-person waitlist. This waitlist was a lie six years ago, and it hasn’t gotten any more real in the time since, during which time Washington’s anemic home crowds have become, finally, a national embarrassment.

Former Cowboys safety Charlie Waters was once quoted as saying Washington’s RFK stadium was “the wildest place you could play. The fans cared and they would do anything.” Bill Simmons once called RFK Stadium “arguably the Boston Garden of football stadiums.” Former Cowboys running back Calvin Hilldescribed RFK as “absolutely the loudest place I ever played in.”

Here’s a great line from Hill, remembering the old days:

“[W]hen they started introducing the Redskins, the crescendo got so loud for the Redskins, you couldn’t even talk. And when they made a big play, the stands moved when people jumped up and down. It was like you were walking through the shadow of death.”

So, everyone mostly agrees RFK Stadium was a special place, with unique acoustic, spatial, and structural characteristics that made it a noisy and intimidating place to play. Here’s a thing, though: I attended Darrell Green’s final home game, on December 29, 2002, against the Cowboys.

I can’t track down any video of the event, but in the middle of the second quarter, Champ Bailey fielded a punt near midfield and, in a predesigned trick play, lateraled the ball to old man Green, who took off for a 35-yard return. To this day, the noise of the crowd when Green took the lateral is the loudest noise I have ever heard. Ear-splitting. Deafening. And that was at FedEx Field!

What I’m saying here is this: there was a time when Washington had perfectly respectable home crowds, even after moving to what was first called Jack Kent Cooke Stadium and is now FedEx Field, even after Dan Snyder first took over ownership of the franchise.

Now, instead of thinking of the half-teal crowd at Sunday’s season opener as some sort of moral failure by Washington fans, think, instead, not of jersey-clad units of fandom, but of Washingtonians, who are humans, and the universally loathed man atop a universally loathed operation now running the local professional football team.

As it happened, I was also at FedEx Field on October 18, 2009, at the very nadir of the Jim Zorn era, when the home crowd was so fed up and disgusted by the interminable decline of the football team that they spent most of the second quarter, every second of halftime, and nearly the entire second half chanting “sell the team.”

Most fans gave up on watching the home team trudge through a miserable, spirit-crushing loss to the Chiefs, instead turning and directing their full-throated wrath at the owner’s box. The chant was nowhere near as loud as the insane explosion of sound at the Darrell Green game—the stands were at least half empty—but it was every bit as passionate.

Washingtonians’ relationship with Dan Snyder has been one of constant antagonism—dramatic raising of parking and concession prices; cramming partial-view seats into the stadium; suing local publications and freezing out others in response to negative press; deforesting protected land to improve the view at his mansion; ushering the organization through a long series of increasingly desperate and embarrassing defenses of the team’s indefensible nickname; etc.

Throughout, Snyder and his organization have rallied an ever-shrinking contingency of totally addled diehard fans to support their cynicism and acts of lunacy. This, in a way, is NFL (and sports) fandom in microcosm: loyalty to this thing has the power to influence and distort moral equations and personal politics, maybe even entire worldviews.

Here’s what I mean by that: protests over the team’s nickname aren’t remotely as new as its defenders would have you believe. Last year, Dan Steinberg and Fred Hiatt of the Washington Post pointed to protests of the name that stretch back at least as far as 1971. The National Congress of American Indians gained national attention for actively protesting the name in 1988.

The issue came to my attention for the first time in 1992, when protesters held actions against the name during the week of the Super Bowl. My parents were aware of the controversy, I was aware of the controversy, and I never forgot about it. I did, however, put off caring about it for nearly two decades, because I was loyal to the home team.

Eventually, my conscience caught up. There are, of course, those who will die before they ever seriously consider what it means that a prominent American professional sports team has a racial epithet as its official nickname.

Dan Snyder is just the most recent face of those defending the name. But when you ask fans to support something as hideous as a racist nickname, amid expanding public awareness of the meaning and history of the name, you will lose some of them. When Jack Kent Cooke moved the team out to a hellhole nowhereburg in Prince George’s county, he lost some of them.

When the new owner was found to have brazenly defied local ordinances to improve the view from his mansion, he lost some of them. When he meddled (and continues to meddle) in football operations, he lost some of them. When the organization fails, year after year, to produce even a minimally respectable football team, they lose some of them.

When Snyder and his inner circle sneer and lie and bully and in all other ways disgrace themselves and their organization and that organization’s fans, they drive conscientious fans away in droves.

It’s true that fans will put up with a lot, but this is really a truth best visualized in concentric circles. The outermost circle of fans will put up with everything up to, say, the team being garbage. Somewhere inward from there are fans who will put up with the team being garbage and other manner of disappointments and indignities, but cannot abide a racist nickname.

Somewhere inward from there are fans who will shrug at a racist nickname but will not be able to root for a team with as arrogant and defiant and meddlesome an owner as Washington’s. Maybe somewhere at the very center of this is some guy who would not stop rooting for his team even while everyone on the team’s payroll took turns stabbing him with an actual chef’s knife.

Most fans will put up with knowing the NFL is brutal and dangerous and corrupt, but will enjoy hating and rooting against a team as gross as Dan Snyder’s. That team has crossed some imaginary line beyond which all but a small number of fans cannot follow.

You already understand this. A lot of this is exactly why you delight in watching Washington’s football team crash and burn, why you are happy to see them lose spectacularly and suffer public humiliation. Here’s the thing: many Washingtonians are right there with you.

They’ve had a front row view of one of the most despicable human beings on earth running wild and unchecked over everything in sight, wearing just the thinnest token veneer of self-awareness and perspective and humility, just enough for the rest of us to take it for the insult it is. Washingtonians hate him.

Their desire to see him fail is stronger than you can imagine. For an increasing number of them, the desire to see Dan Snyder lose is stronger than their desire to see their favorite football team win.

So, the embarrassment for Washingtonians isn’t that so few of them forked over hundreds of dollars to sit in a soulless corporate-branded hellhole in the absolute middle of nowhere to watch the home team’s most recent progression on an endless timeline of grueling self-destruction, nor that they were overwhelmed by fans of a team whose stadium is 1,049 miles away. The embarrassment is that there were any Washington fans there at all.

Chris Thompson is a freelancing dude who lives in rural Virginia. His stuff’s been here and Vice Sports and Truth About It and The Classical and Gawker, too. Find him on Twitter @madbastardsall.
--------
Maybe they can change their name to the “Washington Redseats.”
--------
They should rotate the name. Last week, “Washington Dolphins.” This week, “Washington Rams.”
-------
My grandmother lived in dc for 40 years. Huge Redskins fan. Always complained about Dan Snyder. In the end, she had Alzheimer’s and didn’t recognize me or her own children. I visited her the week before she died. At one point, she angrily muttered something under her breath as she swayed uneasily at the kitchen table at her assisted living facility. All I could make out was “Snyder.”
--------
She was probably a fan of “One Day at a Time”.
--------
I think most Washington fans could really care less about the nickname, especially if the team was winning. I think it’s the full combination, of terrible ownership, inept coaching, & drafting (partially due to the meddlesome owner), and Soul Crushing losing and a feeling of what crazy shit will this stupid franchise do next, that will make fans rethink their alliance.
-------
For Snyder, money talks.

Stop going to games; stop buying merchandise. Make owning the team unprofitable, and Snyder will be gone.

But, having lived in the DC area for half a decade, the fans are gluttons for punishment. Every idiotic signing of every over-the-hill and incredibly overpaid has-been was touted as the final piece of the puzzle for building a new dynasty, by the fans themselves.

I’m tempted to say that, as with governments, people get the NFL team they deserve.
-------
Deadspin has done a nice job calling bullshit on the season ticket waitlist. Can anyone do a full explanation of the franchise value of $2 billion+? That one always baffled me. Their biggest asset right now is what?

FedEx Field is the most unpleasant place to get to and/or watch a game. The team has won 7 of their last 33 games. They lost the trademark on their team name because it’s so racist. Their franchise QB is playing wideout for the scout team.
--------
They actually own their stadium, most NFL teams, technically speaking, don’t; they lease from the county or city that gave them piles of money (usually for $1). Secondly, location, location, location. Washington DC is one of the largest metropolitan areas in the country, and the team is also near Baltimore, another major city; that means tens of millions of potential fans.

Thirdly, stability, they’ve existed in some form for 83 years and they’ve been in the DC area for the last 78 of those years, the Redskins (even if renamed) aren’t going away unless professional football in this country goes away.

Finally, they get to play some of the most valuable teams in the league two times per year each, the Giants, Cowboys and Eagles will put lots of eyes on your team and your stadium, even if you suck out loud. From an investment standpoint, winning literally does not matter, but those four things do.
--------
They’re on a 7-26 skid? I knew they stunk, but good lord.
--------
My DC neighbor summed it up great when explaining why he was wearing a Susan G Koman shirt not a Redskins one yesterday:

“At least with this shirt, there is hope for a cure”
---------
Redskins fan here. Thank you for capturing in words what I’ve felt for the last decade. I quite literally take joy in all the Deadspin articles published about this sh*t hole of a team now. I’m rooting for rock bottom. Because only then will something of significance actually change. The regime still doesn’t understand what they’ve done to this city and to this fan base.

There are a ton of passionate fans waiting to come back out of hiding that are currently masquerading as Pats fans, Saints fans and Seahawks fans. It’s nice to live vicariously through the eyes of a fan rooting for an organization that knows what the F it’s doing.
--------
I have been a fan of many bad teams. I attended every home game of the Bills back to back 2-14 seasons of 1984 and 1985; Agony, thy name is Joe Dufek. I’ve lived in Washington for 15 years, and I wonder about the ‘Skins fans on a whole other level. It’s one thing to be mocked because your team of preference is lousy.

But it must be a completely different feeling to be told something like, “The thing that you cheer for is not just bad, but wrong. It is not just incompetent, but morally reprehensible.” That’s a very different concept that speaks not to blocking and tackiling, but to ethos. The very core of who and what the team, and by extension its fans, stand for as a cultural statement. I wonder what that’s like.
--------
I can’t say that my growing withdrawl from football is entirely due to my growing fed-upness with the organization, but it certainly doesn’t stop it.
--------
My growing disinterest had been staved off the past few years by NFL Redzone. The regional games I was made to watch because of B.S. on Sundays and the inevitable blowouts and/shitty games on Mondays and Thursday just wore me down.

But now I find myself even switching away from Redzone and they almost only show the best parts of live games, and have no commercials. The ADHD version of the NFL is still not entertaining enough for me anymore.
---------
I despise the Redskins with a hatred that leaves me at the end of games either filled with rage, or cackling like a madman at their latest setback. So I am all for Dan Snyder sticking around. I delight at the thought of Sheehan and Czaban having to sit there and toe the line with what they say on a day-to-day basis. I have made it my goal to never give Dan Snyder any of my money.

A few years back, Boise State played Virginia Tech there on Labor Day weekend, and I had a friend who got me a ticket, but I had to get there without spending any money on parking. I parked at the metro station that was about a mile and a half up the road and hoofed it there and back. Only months later did I find out that parking was free on the stadium lots that day.
---------
Speaking as a Washington fan (who, admittedly, loathes Snyder): once it stops being “fun” for him (which entails not only making money, but being on the “in crowd”), he’ll sell.

I just don’t think it will ever truly stop making money for him, and he’ll never NOT want to be part of the in crowd. Being an NFL franchise owner is really one of the last, true, “license(s) to print money” in the United States. He’s not going to go quietly into the night as long as that’s true.

NFL fans are a unique breed. They are loyal to their teams in a way that you will only find a comparable example in SEC football. Baseball fans love their teams, but tend to speak up when management and the skip fuck things up (hello, Matt Williams and Mike Rizzo). Basketball fans are passionate about their teams, but still maintain a level of disconnect—their identity is not defined by their fanhood (with a few notable exceptions). Hockey fans are loyal but like baseball fans, will give the club the finger, as it were, when they fuck up.

NFL fans, though, seem more than willing to look past the obvious faults of their players, coaches, team management, etc., and embrace FOOBAW! as a way of life. For some fans, it seems as though their fanhood is the sole determining factor in their identity. There are examples of this in other sports, certainly, but it seems much, MUCH more prevalent in the NFL and NCAA DI fandoms.
---------
Yeah, I’m done. It’s not gonna be an easy feat to remove the vestiges of this team from my conscious, but...until the mini moron Snyder is gone (which will probably be never), this team will be forever considered mud to me.

This sucks, because I’ve spent most of my life as a fan, but I can’t bring myself to support a team that is pathetically run and so mind numbingly inept.
--------
I’m actually kind of embarassed now about how much time and energy I have put toward the team in my life.

Chris gets it right when he says that a lot of fans want Snyder to lose more than they want the team to win. Snyder’s humiliation is the only thing I root for now during NFL season.
---------
http://www.thehogs.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=40978

Deadspin Kicks Us While We're Down

It's a long article and a painful reminder of exactly how bad things have been under Dan Snyder but the conclusion the author draws is:

"the desire to see Dan Snyder lose is stronger than their desire to see their favorite football team win." It is accompanied by photos of the lower bowl from the game last Sunday showing more teal than burgundy.

Simple question: Do you think there's any truth to the statement? Do fans want Snyder gone more than they want a good football team? It seems to me if the team was winning playoff games we wouldn't care how much of a douchebag the owner is. If we'd been successful on any level would this even be a deadspin article? I know Danny makes himself an easy target for clickbait and yellow journalism. He even gets labeled the "worst owner in sports" occasionally. But getting down to brass tacks, don't we really just want a winning team?
-----------
IMHO - You have to keep in mind that this is someone who makes a living writing about sports. He has to write something inflammatory. I do believe there is some truth to what he has to say. Yes I think that there are "fans" that stay away because of Dan Snyder and the name. However, I think that the bulk of the fans that have left have done so because of the quality of the team. It is, at best, bad.

I agree that Snyder interferes to much with the mega signings like Haynesworth. I also think he is really trying to make this team competitive but does not know how, but thinks he does. His bad choices have not all been about the players. There were numerous "executives" who sold him a bag of goods about how great and knowledgeable they were about football operations. They were not. They are equally responsible for the decline and fall of the Redskins as much if not more that Dan Snyder.

He is a marketing person who cannot separate the sales pitch from reality. Go back and look at the history of the Redskins. There have only been two times the team has been competitive, in the George Allen and Joe Gibbs I eras. Other than those times the team has been bad to mediocre. Whoever changes the Redskins has to change the team culture first. Do I care about the name? No not really. Change it or don't, it makes no difference. This is still my team of choice and I will always be a fan.
---------
We want Daniel Snyder GONE more than anything else BECAUSE his interference, ignorance, protagonism, prejudices, greed, incompetence and ego make it impossible to build a good football team and unthinkable to maintain a consistent culture of excellence. Daniel Snyder suffers from an obsessive (player/coach/staff selection) - compulsive (changes/firings/hirings) disorder (OCD) and until he acknowledges it and acts to help himself professionally, nothing will change around here.

Daved202

UDFA
^^ its true. Skins fans including me dont know squat about football. We overrated players such as Orakpo/Jason Campbell/ Santana Moss/ london fletcher Nd of course your reigning champ...rg3.

We always talk crap about other teams when we have been a circus since day one. Being. Skins fan is tough..we even had miami fans over take our stadium on WEEK 1.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
^^ its true. Skins fans including me dont know squat about football. We overrated players such as Orakpo/Jason Campbell/ Santana Moss/ london fletcher Nd of course your reigning champ...rg3.

We always talk crap about other teams when we have been a circus since day one. Being. Skins fan is tough..we even had miami fans over take our stadium on WEEK 1.

I'm not sure how it was possible to over-rate London Fletcher.

At least you didn't under-rate him like another team I know....